Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
That's kind of weird because flame sling and black flame have the same physics as throwing pots, I've gotten enough practice from free aimed throws in invasions that I can do dirty poo poo at people from far outside the range they would expect. I guess the incantations are flagged to be affected by that Arrow Sling talisman, but not pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
before i fight radagon and elden beast again i actually have a harder boss....

picking my outfit to have the final pic taken of me on the throne

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I should probably explain my tests too. They were all done in the hallway to Stormveil, targeting the crossbow dude from the grace, and counting how many "block and half blocks" it takes me before a lockon hits.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

verbal enema posted:

before i fight radagon and elden beast again i actually have a harder boss....

picking my outfit to have the final pic taken of me on the throne

you can pick your outfit after the boss fight, there's a noncombat moment afterwards where you can change around your inventory

make sure you have the frog mask

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

you can pick your outfit after the boss fight, there's a noncombat moment afterwards where you can change around your inventory

make sure you have the frog mask

oh cool and i do not

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress THAT BOSS WE DID IT

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Congrats

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i guess i only finished rannis w/e im cool with that next time its frenzied flame

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im going to club everything to death with Marika's Hammer

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i am genuinely excited to have another go at some fights the main being Demi-Human Queens because when they get sick of your and bean you in the face with their staff i always die of laughter its perfect

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

verbal enema posted:

gently caress THAT BOSS WE DID IT

Congrats Tarnished, what outfit did you settle on?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Epic High Five posted:

Congrats Tarnished, what outfit did you settle on?

Well it was rannis ending but I wore the full Gelmir Knight set because that set is so so good.

Only the full knights set but greathelm is better

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I kept ending up wearing the briar gauntlets in cutscenes where my character took someone else's hand, and I liked to imagine my dude saying "sorry about the spikes" while having a touching moment with Melina

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Big fan of the Lordsworn's Straight Sword. I used the greatsword version in a previous playthrough, but I like this one more I think. Super easy to guard counter and get another swipe in it's so fast.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ugh god i got through the capital and out the other side. its snowing...great...i know whats waiting for me...vast fields of nothing and then that stupid floating place guess ill go put a fresh poly coat on the tile floor in my kitchen or something else interesting

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

i am harry posted:

ugh god i got through the capital and out the other side. its snowing...great...i know whats waiting for me...vast fields of nothing and then that stupid floating place guess ill go put a fresh poly coat on the tile floor in my kitchen or something else interesting

There's not nothing you have some nice albinauric archer friends to meet.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Since this game was released, I've only just now realized you can throw ruin fragments like pebbles to distract/kite enemies with. They're the worst, and you'd be better off crafting bone darts, but you can use them first thing in a new game as soon as you pick em up.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I feel terrible killing the ewes for their handy bones :(

Not rams though gently caress them.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So after really embracing the recommended ER leveling strat: min stats for gear -> 40 vig -> damage stats -> endgame Vig

It's surprising to me how much different the game feels. The difficulty curve almost feels like a slightly more difficult Dark Souls 1.

Took me a while to come around since I was always a "damage stats to softcap first, HP as needed" guy, but that makes ER really difficult. I actually gave up on my first Sorcery run because I was just dying WAY too much.

So yeah, for those of you who are Souls vets and have always softcapped damage stats first - if you are doing that in ER, you are just making it harder on yourself.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If I remember correctly, one of the bell bearing hunters lets you just buy those bones at the twin maiden husk shop. I don't remember which one though, and I could be wrong about it to begin with.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It does: https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Bone+Peddler's+Bell+Bearing

Also I just noticed the pattern sort of reminds me of a simple fingerprint. Are bell bearings even a real thing?

Edit: here's a post from reddit that feels reasonable https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/tbb378/where_tf_did_the_term_bell_bearing_come_from_it/

quote:

idk about translations, but this is one I think you need to take in a fuller context to get an idea of what it is.

to start off, let's recognize the larger function of bells in the world. The Spirit Calling Bell has the ability to command spirits of the past from their ashes. However, the animation shows clearly what is occurring; the player lifts the ashes high and rings the bell at the waist. The bell functions samely, regardless of the ashes used.

let's look at the images for the bearings. Our primary assumption that they are a bell's strikers are, I think, correct; but they are not just any strikers. Aside from D's bell bearing, they all have the reminiscence of a fingerprint etched on the surface. Moreover, each of them is described as being found on the 'perished flesh' of its owner. It's unlikely that they are literally printed with the owner's finger (as I think D's suggests) but rather they are a form of identification for the deceased, akin to the ashes.

from wikipedia, a mechanical bearing: "constrains relative motion to only the desired motion, and reduces friction between moving parts."

all this in mind, I hope maybe it's clearer what they meant with this phrase. They are manifestations of the deceased that direct the Twin Maidens toward replicating their aspects, in the same way the spirit ashes direct the Calling Bells toward summoning older and stronger spirits.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 9, 2023

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Would you like to be able to punish the Tarnished if they follow their first, second, or third instinct during combat? Well, we here at the Dancer of the Borreal Valley School of Enemy and Boss Design are now accepting applications!

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 9, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Orphan of Kos is my favorite of the Fromsoft bosses with an answer for every thing you can do after being hit. Every input from attack to heal to dodge. No matter which direction you tilt your analog stick. It will find a way to swing at you a second time from any angle so get ready because here comes the yo-yo placenta!

The Godskin Apostle chucking a fireball when you attempt a heal is fondly familiar! I'm glad Elden Ring isn't like Bloodborne wherein being shot while healing is an automatic parry. Raya Lucaria would be much more interesting, and also a nightmare.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 9, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Captain O’Neil was no problem. Hopefully I will get to Radahn today

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
If you want to play this game on the couch and use steam link to connect to your PC (I'm using a macbook and an ethernet connection) it's VERY doable for most boss fights. The only fights I've needed to change to playing directly on the pc, so far (due to lag) are Radahn (I couldn't dodge his single shot blue magic/arrows at the start) and some other up-in-your-face boss, I can't remember but it wasn't a big deal. I even beat Margit on my second try from the couch, and hosed up a couple of rolls due to lag with him. I will say that I'm a magic user on this run but I often use carian slicer or my sword for melee. I never ever use a shield but I suspect that would make couch play even easier.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Been thinking of picking this back up after 8 or 9 months of not really playing it.

Kind of want to start a new gimmick run, thinking whips and knives, go full Castlevania with two categories of weapons that are kind of not great. Going back and looking at patch notes it looks like bleed builds were pretty significantly nerfed?

Trying to decide if I want to go dex / arcane and lean into status effects, or sub faith and get like the magna whip and buff miracles.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
People poo poo on whips all the time but I think they're fine. They were awful in DS1 but they're decent here, just not a lot of ash of war compatibility. Hell the Urumi is actually pretty powerful when setup right.

For a Castlevania build I'm thinkin I want to use spectral lance on a halberd to sorta replicate the throwing axe? Kinda wish the game just had throwing axes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Every time I try to make whips work I can't get over their insane stamina use and recovery times. I end up saying insane things like "why wouldn't I just use something a little less unforgiving than this dex-scaling bleed whip, like a colossal sword?"

Don't sleep on holy water pots, they're better than the upgraded version and cheap as hell to make. You can make a bunch, store them, then make more and store them and your stock will refill from that. Great for deathbirds early and a good reason to pump Faith which seems like a good fit for the build

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I thought I'd be able to respec upon starting NG+. No such luck. Now I'm just kinda powering my way through to Rennala so I can do the thing. It's pretty fun to smack poo poo around like it's nothing and be at the gates of the academy within, like, an hour.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Epic High Five posted:

Every time I try to make whips work I can't get over their insane stamina use and recovery times. I end up saying insane things like "why wouldn't I just use something a little less unforgiving than this dex-scaling bleed whip, like a colossal sword?"

Don't sleep on holy water pots, they're better than the upgraded version and cheap as hell to make. You can make a bunch, store them, then make more and store them and your stock will refill from that. Great for deathbirds early and a good reason to pump Faith which seems like a good fit for the build

I kind of wish there was a claw mark seal equivalent for dex. If I did faith I probably wouldn't invest too deep unless I went all in on the flame whip. Occult thorn / petal whips would probably be where I landed with like dual bleed knives as backups.

Last time I did dex/arc I went for the dragon seal and it just kind of wound up being a rot breath guy rather than status kind, and also apparently that had had multiple rounds of nerfs since last I played.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

CJacobs posted:

Orphan of Kos is my favorite of the Fromsoft bosses with an answer for every thing you can do after being hit. Every input from attack to heal to dodge. No matter which direction you tilt your analog stick. It will find a way to swing at you a second time from any angle so get ready because here comes the yo-yo placenta!

It's almost been 10 years. they need to remaster Bloodbourne for the sake of artistic preservation at this point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

I kind of wish there was a claw mark seal equivalent for dex. If I did faith I probably wouldn't invest too deep unless I went all in on the flame whip. Occult thorn / petal whips would probably be where I landed with like dual bleed knives as backups.

Last time I did dex/arc I went for the dragon seal and it just kind of wound up being a rot breath guy rather than status kind, and also apparently that had had multiple rounds of nerfs since last I played.

there really should be a DEX equivalent, and i'd be 100% fine with it having lower incantation power if they don't want it to just be the de facto best seal due to DEX's cast speed bonus

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The frenzy seal does technically have dex scaling(along with str and int), but that's fairly late in the game and requires a convoluted questline to get.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arcvasti posted:

The frenzy seal does technically have dex scaling(along with str and int), but that's fairly late in the game and requires a convoluted questline to get.

it's also a minuscule amount of scaling overall, whereas clawmark can sit on the minimum faith requirements for the beast spells and do just dandy maxing out STR

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Whips aren't as versatile as some other weapons, but they're really good at staggering some bosses and they can be great for crowd control. Plus you can use two of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Astrochicken posted:

It's almost been 10 years. they need to remaster Bloodbourne for the sake of artistic preservation at this point.

No remaster just a port. I dread the Bluepoint version of Bloodborne.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I never managed to finish Bloodborne. I bounced off it somewhere in the early game after losing to the same boss over and over and over

I need to go back after I finish Elden Ring now that I've learned to simply git Gud or die trying.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm not going to fight a,single boss I'm going to let clean rot knight Flynn do it while I hide in a corner in the balled up emote

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I won't lie the thought of going back to blood vials fills me with dread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just did the mimic fight. I put on a giant axe that I couldn't use, summoned wolves, made the mimic appear, then put my meteorite staff on. The mimic was hitting me for like 5 damage at a time and fatrolling, it was hilarious! I also had my healing stuff in the quick slots so it couldn't really do anything.