Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for bailing on being a groomsmen for a friend's wedding on the morning of the wedding?

Ill have what he's having!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Google's only pulling up this page on that one ,you got a link?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

teen witch posted:

I’m blessed that my great aunt did a massive genealogy undertaking in 94 and mapped our family tree to like the 1600s in the Netherlands. Couldn’t be me with that ancestry.com poo poo, and I’ve told my mom I’d never do it if she did.

Reread this and holy cow, if you are descended from Dutch settlers of the 1600s I am green with envy. Dutch New York is fascinating.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have never looked like my genealogy and don't really have an inclination to. Those old fart ancestors can't help me now.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

every time I see the title I think of this clip and lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxOAhsCd-Jo

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Ill have what he's having!
Brain injury leading to mild/moderate delirium and mania?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

Reread this and holy cow, if you are descended from Dutch settlers of the 1600s I am green with envy. Dutch New York is fascinating.

ehhhhh it’s black comedy in multiple ways, one could say

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

teen witch posted:

ehhhhh it’s black comedy in multiple ways, one could say

And you wonder why I enjoy working with you.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Quackles posted:

AITA for asking my boyfriend why his check was off by 15 cents?

"Audited by the IRS in the butt in front of my girlfriend over 15 cents by Chuck Tingle "

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nerdlord Actual posted:

Google's only pulling up this page on that one ,you got a link?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/11mxuv6/aita_for_bailing_on_being_a_groomsmen_for_a/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

trickybiscuits posted:

On-topic:
"I loved the idea of the work" what?

"I love the idea of being a QA Tester for a AAA game! I get to play games all day... What do you mean I have to play through this quicktime event 480 times as part of a regression test??!?"

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Plucky Brit posted:

Brain injury leading to mild/moderate delirium and mania?

Sounds like the OP took Super Leaf Kratom

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hughlander posted:

"I love the idea of being a QA Tester for a AAA game! I get to play games all day... What do you mean I have to play through this quicktime event 480 times as part of a regression test??!?"

Offtopic, but if anyone wants to get into game-testing, but not the soul-destroying slog that is functional testing, consider localization.
Loc testing only starts a few months before release, so the game is basically complete, the focus is on decent translation and text overlapping/audio cuts, plus any weird functional bugs caused by changing the ingame assets to another language.
Games testing is extremely stupid and dysfunctional, but localization is a bit less stupid than other paths.

edit: Games QA has frequently been described as a dead-end for people who want to actually advance in the industry, but I personally know many people who went from - bog-standard QA jobs to genuinely influential roles in the industry. One is a senior producer for COD, and when I knew him, he was a lowly QA tester.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 9, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

i am a moron posted:

Mama says it’s cause they got all them teeth, but no tooth brush

I appreciated this.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FMguru posted:

She's lucky it wasn't just an endless series of blurry pictures of his balls.

<Wayne Gretzky glances around, sweating profusely>

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for bailing on being a groomsmen for a friend's wedding on the morning of the wedding?

quote:

One note, no substances were involved in my experience, just an nde brought on by not breathing for the perfect amount of time.
??? Did he hold his breath for a really long amount of time??

Actually this reminds me of that link someone posted months ago about a guy eating The Destroying Angel (an extremely lethal mushroom) and surviving:

https://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/2006/11/22/i-survived-the-destroying-angel/

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Crocobile posted:

??? Did he hold his breath for a really long amount of time??

Actually this reminds me of that link someone posted months ago about a guy eating The Destroying Angel (an extremely lethal mushroom) and surviving:

https://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/2006/11/22/i-survived-the-destroying-angel/

No, he lost oxygen to his brain during the accident for just long enough to get severe hypoxic brain damage achieve enlightenment

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Kurieg posted:

No, he lost oxygen to his brain during the accident for just long enough to get severe hypoxic brain damage achieve enlightenment

More like he blew off the Wedding to go Surfing.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

teen witch posted:

Youuuu gotta be real careful there with that, and keeping in mind the history of America. It’s far more nuanced, and bloody.

Are there plastic paddies? Yes, and Bernadette Devlin has words with them.

E: my great grandma is Irish and great grandpa is English. Came over in the early 1900s. My mom still gets Christmas cards from our Irish relatives because my grandmother, her mother, was quite close to them, and my mom knew them growing up. I’ve never met them personally, but I grew up within that space.

Think I love to do is if people ask what I am, I only answer Irish or “I’m from NY”. You’ll find out my background when I drat well think you’ll find out. gently caress around at your own peril.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The fact that enlightenment dude won't say what the accident was makes me think drugs, or jerking off too hard while using some type of asphyxiation aid

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Honestly, it sounds like he held his breath too long while at the beginning of a mental breakdown of some sort

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
Probably spent to much time in the old TCC breath holding megathread.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

AITA for asking my boyfriend why his check was off by 15 cents?

The IRS is not going to turn down a check, 15 cents short or not.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

sullat posted:

The IRS is not going to turn down a check, 15 cents short or not.

When I was just starting to file taxes (on paper forms) I made a minor mistake and got a letter from the IRS
wanting me to pay a tiny amount. I don't doubt they'll cash the check, but they will spend more money on
postage to collect that 15 cents.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

tax software rounds cents. does this lady hop on the phone with turbotax when she does her taxes

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AceClown posted:

have an actual r/relationships post happening in real time

https://twitter.com/Hibzster/status/1633127140739760130?s=20

Interesting, this has been disabled because of the "copyright owner."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quantumwell posted:

When I was just starting to file taxes (on paper forms) I made a minor mistake and got a letter from the IRS
wanting me to pay a tiny amount. I don't doubt they'll cash the check, but they will spend more money on
postage to collect that 15 cents.

Yeah my first interaction with the IRS was getting a letter telling me I'd made a $2 mistake but that they were gonna forgive me. This time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

trickybiscuits posted:

they were given no warning they would be let go, and we need a better system to inform them if their job is in jeopardy

Is there actually an industry where a PIP is about improving performance and not building a case for termination with cause? I would take being put on a PIP as a notice that my job is already gone, not that it's just in jeopardy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is there actually an industry where a PIP is about improving performance and not building a case for termination with cause? I would take being put on a PIP as a notice that my job is already gone, not that it's just in jeopardy.

We've had people at my current job recover from a PIP, but those people still had the good sense to exit as soon as they could after.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

C&F hearing pending bar results

quote:

Has anyone had one of these? Mine is related to some criminal charges and probation violation from when I was a dumb college kid. They are asking for all sorts of information from me to provide before my hearing, but my main question is are they going to ask the victims for input/ does that have any bearing on their decision?

Edit: I was placed on misdemeanor probation for an altercation where I held someone down and farted in their face. It was supposed to stay off my record but I violated by doing essentially the same thing to a different person and ended up with a conviction. I was able to get one of them expunged but still had to disclose

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

We've had people at my current job recover from a PIP, but those people still had the good sense to exit as soon as they could after.

Yup, its incredibly rare. We're going through that at my office and its pretty obvious that they are just trying to find a way to justify cutting people without saying they are cutting people.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Not necessarily /r/ but this got a laugh out of me

On the League of Legends subreddit:

The top comment:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
AITA for making emasculating a guy by making a "racist" comment

quote:

Hi! I'm not a normal reddit poster but my husband suggested here.

I(27f) am African American, my husband(27) is a born and raised italian, both State bond for now. I speak fluent italian as I grew up with an italian "Nonna" who taught me since I was still in diapers.

My husband and I were out at a small social gathering, and when I was hanging out with the wives, how we met our husbands came up and someone mentioned "It must be hard to learn a new language." I explained in the same story I always do, "I had an older lady who was like a 3rd grandmother to me, and when I was young I begged her to teach me "pasta". So I'm pretty fluent." which is what my toddler sized mind linked together as italian.

Everyone at the table laughed because it's a cute story and kind of a strange way to learn a language. However this guy whom I've never met stated it was racist. I explained that I was just a toddler, and I put two and two together when Nonna made food, which as her "Only grandchild" was a lot.

He stated that as an italian American it racist against "his" people and that I shouldn't tell the story, because it just as bad as calling someone the "N-word".

I honestly was speechless, before asking him forgiveness in italian to make it more personal, he looked confused, so I asked him again in italian while explaining I had no harm behind the story it's just a cute story. The guy still looked confused, so my husband asked where the other guys family was from. The guy stated, he didn't know his great grandad or something was italian.

I maybe should have been quiet, but instead stated "Oh I have more italian in me after a couple of drinks." Which caused the rest of the table to start laughing, hard at the guy, who a few minutes later left in a huff.

A lot of my friends stated it was funny and the guy shouldn't dish it out, but a few said that I took it too far with the NSFW joke. So internet am I the rear end in a top hat?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I have a hard time believing everyone at the table laughed at these jokes

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"I had an older lady who was like a 3rd grandmother to me, and when I was young I begged her to teach me "pasta". So I'm pretty fluent."

What?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Oh I have more italian in me after a couple of drinks."

What??

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The second one is a rephrasing of a pretty well-known sex joke. But if you didn't know that it might not be funny.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

What?

What??

she’s referring to the Italian penis of her husband being inside her during sexual intercourse, op.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

It means "noodles" in Italian

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The first one is a literal child not knowing what Italian is called, but recognising it as another language. It's supposed to be cute

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

What?

What??

Toddler knows what pasta is and knows the lady who makes pasta speaks a different language and wanted to learn it but as she was a toddler, she just called it pasta instead of Italian.

Grown up lady gets horny for her Italian boyfriend when she's had a couple drinks.

Not all jokes are laughter inducing in all contexts, like being told in a later story to explain why someone may or may not be an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

i am a moron posted:

Honestly, it sounds like he held his breath too long while at the beginning of a mental breakdown of some sort

It sounds like an almost textbook manic episode.