Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks Kool-Aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Japan is so sexist that women are fleeing in droves.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I bet they outlaw emigration before they fix the culture.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

One wonders where the wave of Korean emigration is, because even Japan is second to that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Korean women are just cutting men out of their lives entirely.

https://www.thecut.com/2023/03/4b-movement-feminism-south-korea.html

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Beachcomber posted:

I bet they outlaw emigration before they fix the culture.

Sakoku 2.0

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Atlas Hugged posted:

South Korea has the lowest birth rate in the world, right? Looking good.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
It also has the highest suicide rate amongst women and girls in the world and has had for at least 10 years. It's almost twice as high as the second highest country (Belgium) and is a big contribution to making a Korea number one overall. But hey, Korean beauty products are second to none as well and it has the highest rate of plastic surgery worldwide too. But I'm sure those things aren't related at all.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

Fascinating.
Given the birth rate, it'll be interesting to see whether they experience societal reform or... go locally extinct?

Can imagine the voluntary extinction movement encouraging Korean guys to double down.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
With birth rates declining in both Korea and Japan, do any of those countries think about using immigration to fix that? Like, are there plans in parliament to think about upping the percentage of migrants, or is that sort of thinking (still) anathema?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I think the Japanese would literally rather go extinct than let more foreigners in.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

busalover posted:

With birth rates declining in both Korea and Japan, do any of those countries think about using immigration to fix that? Like, are there plans in parliament to think about upping the percentage of migrants, or is that sort of thinking (still) anathema?

Japan has already done this, and tripled immigrants since 1990, they are just still at relatively low numbers. https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/2...gMaAppgEALw_wcB

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Japan has programs to allow top-level high earning professionals but it doesn't seem to me like they draw much talent. Like you have a good chance if you make >$120,000 but for a field like IT japanese salaries are around half of the US average.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Japan has programs to allow top-level high earning professionals but it doesn't seem to me like they draw much talent. Like you have a good chance if you make >$120,000 but for a field like IT japanese salaries are around half of the US average.

It's this. I looked into the amount my position makes in Japan and it's less than I made when I was 1 year into my career.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's this. I looked into the amount my position makes in Japan and it's less than I made when I was 1 year into my career.

But think about the bonding you will do five nights a week with your boss and co-workers, who are definitely there of their own free will and motivation and not desperately trying to stave off cirrhosis

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

But think about the bonding you will do five nights a week with your boss and co-workers, who are definitely there of their own free will and motivation and not desperately trying to stave off cirrhosis

gaijin pass. "you must respect the differences of our cultures." it's not like you were getting higher than Skilled Gaijin Monkey anyway, but when you think about it, the same can be said of any position you might hold in a company in your home country also

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

ulmont posted:

Japan has already done this, and tripled immigrants since 1990, they are just still at relatively low numbers. https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/2...gMaAppgEALw_wcB

I saw a news report from Japan that said that they were working towards changing things to make life in Japan easier for immigrants. Things like simplifying the language so immigrants can communicate easier, scaling back on all the incomprehensible and unspoken social rituals, getting rid of all the workplace social stuff like having to bow to your boss, etc.

Or, as my half-Japanese wife said: "Lol, no. That's never going to happen. In order to change things, someone has to go first, and going first means that you're the nail that sticks out. And learning new social skills means that you might get it wrong, which leads to social embarrassment, and they'd rather get nuked again than deal with that."

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
how the gently caress do i spend money in china?

is applepay big? i haven't tried hooking up Ali pay with a US card but I assume that's a thing i might be able to do?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

kntfkr posted:

is applepay big? i haven't tried hooking up Ali pay with a US card but I assume that's a thing i might be able to do?

Two options: Mao's face or

We

Fuckin'

Chat

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The answers to most of the new-to-china questions are:

Wechat

Taobao

Try again at the next service window down.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

kntfkr posted:

You can use Alipay Tour Pass to setup kind of a prepaid card thing, or you can link your credit card up with WeChat.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Atopian posted:

Wechat

Taobao

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

drat thats depressing to hear the stats, being in SK.

On the subject of patriarchical bullshit~What would yall say about the cheating culture in different asian countries? Hotels everywhere in Korea, the fuckin kind. I once saw a couple get out of a car at a rest stop and overheard enough to understand they were going back to their separate spouses and kids, "cya later."

Obviously skeezers are everywhere, but here it comes across as facilitated, like a work culture thing or something

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Atopian posted:

Wechat

Taobao

I'm looking in the "ME" section of WeChat rn and see no "Wallet" option.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Renreeja posted:

drat thats depressing to hear the stats, being in SK.

On the subject of patriarchical bullshit~What would yall say about the cheating culture in different asian countries? Hotels everywhere in Korea, the fuckin kind. I once saw a couple get out of a car at a rest stop and overheard enough to understand they were going back to their separate spouses and kids, "cya later."

Obviously skeezers are everywhere, but here it comes across as facilitated, like a work culture thing or something

People use those for just sex, too. You don't gotta be having an affair to gently caress at a love motel, especially in a country where your parents are more likely to live with you even into adulthood, socially conservative values are still followed very strictly in some cases, and where homes are on average much smaller than in Western countries.

I could tell you about guys I knew who were just constantly having affairs, having affairs on their affairs, just an affair onion, but for each guy I know like that there's super religious family man who I'm not even sure if he's loving his wife. I don't think you can get good answers on this from foreigners in Korea about it because, for one, foreigners kinda party a lot in Korea and you always meet guys cheating when you party in any country. Also, it's just a thing that people generalize for a group outside their own but blame the individual for something inside their group. No American guy meets a guy openly cheating at a bar and says "drat we Americans cheat a lot, Christ."

But prostitution is super accessible in Korea so that probably makes it a lot easier for people to cheat. But then also adultery was literally criminally illegal in Korea until recently. Who knows, I went to look for any data on this but I didn't find anything (though I didn't look hard, and sorting through the billion articles about the adultery laws to find adultery statistics I didn't really care to do.)

I did find statistics for America and for China though. It's only people who admitted to having affairs (cuz I guess that's all you can really do.) The numbers were 20% for American men who admitted to cheating in the past 12 months, and 20% for Chinese men. But far fewer Chinese women admitted to having an affair (13% for US, 3.9% for China)

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 10, 2023

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

BrainDance posted:

But prostitution is super accessible in Korea so that probably makes it a lot easier for people to cheat. But then also adultery was literally criminally illegal in Korea until recently.

good points you made, the quoted part reminds me of this old american dude I knew who was in Korea in the 80s as a surgeon for the army, he had a story where he and a group met the police chief of one of the southern towns, were given a tour of a station and shown a basement dungeon where a prisoner was chained, curled up on the floor groaning.

"So what's he in for?"
"Adultery."

Turns out the chief was my wife's granddad on her mom's side (Though chances of old guy bullshitting was sky high, the town matched). Of course the fuckin granddad had a mistress.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Dick Fontaine posted:

You can use Alipay Tour Pass to setup kind of a prepaid card thing, or you can link your credit card up with WeChat.

Can you link a foreign credit card to WeChat without a residence permit in China? I am stuck using WeChat HK and it works in Starbucks etc but not any of the smaller vendors, let alone taxi drivers etc.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Hey glad to see you are still alive and kicking in hk

https://youtu.be/4ohRP5d9CYI

I’m like your neighbor now lol

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
speaking of hk, i hear they're looking to crack down on grannies smuggling smokes and booze across the "border"

first they'll say it's for tax reasons, next milk powder smuggling is banned overnight and the whole life blood of ecommerce and pension funds is ruined

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Rabelais D posted:

Can you link a foreign credit card to WeChat without a residence permit in China? I am stuck using WeChat HK and it works in Starbucks etc but not any of the smaller vendors, let alone taxi drivers etc.

Unless something has changed super recently you should be able to—but, you might have to redial support for awhile until you find the right agent. You know how it be sometimes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Guess who just got a third term?

Go on, you'll never guess.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Guess who just got a third term?

Go on, you'll never guess.
And two mugs of tea like trumq getting an extra scoop of ice cream.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It doesn't matter if Japan increases immigration if they don't fix the the things that are stopping natives from having families, because immigrants will face the same issues. Stagnant wages, sexist practices limiting the earning potential of women (especially women who have children), insufficient space in childcare facilities, unstable employment, etc.

The highly skilled professional visa path is funny. It's a good deal if you already want to live in Japan for whatever reason. But you can get into Japan on this elite visa, make multiple six figures, and every bank except for the Post Office will turn you down for a bank account until you've been in the country for six months. If you set up a company, good luck opening financial accounts. Credit card? Unlikely. There are too many bullshit issues that no high roller is going to tolerate for even a second, so it's comical when the prime minister gets on TV and says we're going to attract top global talent. No one who doesn't already want to be here is going to put up with it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
also laughable that if you've ever read japan's point system for their visa qualifications, 80% of what they can rate you on comes from your net worth and ability to throw around investment money. iirc if you're above the age of 29, you can't make the cut for permanent residency if you held a double phd in physics and medicine. but you can do whatever you like as long as your net worth is high enough, say, somewhere north of five million dollars??? :grin:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Fur20 posted:

also laughable that if you've ever read japan's point system for their visa qualifications, 80% of what they can rate you on comes from your net worth and ability to throw around investment money. iirc if you're above the age of 29, you can't make the cut for permanent residency if you held a double phd in physics and medicine. but you can do whatever you like as long as your net worth is high enough, say, somewhere north of five million dollars??? :grin:

Lot of countries do that. I think you can get New Zealand citizenship if you invest two million or something.

It's part of the reason why tons of the Elite have doomsday bunkers out there.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Forceholy posted:

Lot of countries do that. I think you can get New Zealand citizenship if you invest two million or something.

You can get an investment visa in the US for like $1 million, with permanent residence status after 5 years.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/immigrant-investor-visas.html

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Forceholy posted:

It's part of the reason why tons of the Elite have doomsday bunkers out there.

well sure but i mean like in the context of japan actively wanting to attract highly skilled talent, and then they make the bar so impossibly high that non-millionaire literal geniuses can only just barely make the cut

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
South Korea is pitching a 69-hour maximum work week

quote:

On Thursday, South Korea’s labor ministry even tried pitching the new rules as a way to support the country’s flagging fertility rate

Nice

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ulmont posted:

You can get an investment visa in the US for like $1 million, with permanent residence status after 5 years.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/immigrant-investor-visas.html

Yeah I think most countries have a "give us a million dollars you can get a green card" policy somewhere. Of course not that many people out there with a million dollars to throw around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah I think most countries have a "give us a million dollars you can get a green card" policy somewhere. Of course not that many people out there with a million dollars to throw around.

Most are *invest* a million (or 2, or 5), and you can come over. Some of the things you can invest in are worse than others, but you should usually get most of the money back after the 5 years or whatever the term of required investment is.

NZ and Aus you can just invest in their publicly traded funds, you don't have to buy a restaurant and keep 10 people on payroll for a couple years.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-th...-classification