Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Uh... her brothers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

catlord posted:

Uh... her brothers?

Spoiler for the beeg tweest at the end of the comic: No, they are indeed her sons as per The Dunwich Horror! She's hiding her age.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

she's not his girlfriend, he doesn't care about her at all but he DOES enjoy her attention anyway

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

good advice, dr mcninja

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shugojin posted:

she's not his girlfriend, he doesn't care about her at all but he DOES enjoy her attention anyway
Billingsley drawing deep from the anime expression well this strip and I must say, it looks good as hell.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

If you're gonna stretch a word, don't stretch the silent e, dammit! Looks like Heart-Throb is saying su-reeee.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

Ooh, a wild sighting of "youth with their smartphones"!

ANSU

Fingerpori

Option (with the meaning 'one of several things you can choose from') = vaihtoehto
Option (with the meaning 'monetary concept relevant to financing') = optio
The joke hinges on the Finnish text using the word 'optio' as both its intended meaning and a slang anglism referring to the other meaning above. I haven't heard people use the word 'optio' to refer to the 'vaihtoehto' meaning outside of some rare instances, so the joke feels like a stretch to me.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/20-22/50

Archie 9/30 - 10/2/46

Cliffhanger!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Transmodiar posted:

Prince Valiant-est

Now I'm actually wonderin' if I even LIKE kings, man.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Not very ethical.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ah, a pyton cartoon

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Disposable vapes. There’s a thing it doesn’t make sense that “they” haven’t banned in the UK yet. Smoking devices marketed to children, made of plastic, which now litter the hedgerows of this island nation alongside torn up Lotto scratchcards and the last Lilt cans.

Everybody mark "Women be shopping!" on your Dustin bingo cards

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 5, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Brilliant metagag.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I hate everyone

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Okay, she is definitely going to shoot Savarna her drat self.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh no. Estelle's gonna be pushed back into Wilbur's clammy embrace by Dr. Vet's workaholic ways!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I unironically love the contrivances of a good sports drama.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
get you a girl who'll be blown up by a bottle of nitro for you

the bus

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Abundance

Of Boring Christmas Stuff and Car Philosophy

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I laughed really hard at this one. Not entirely sure what that says about me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

But... it was all a dream sequence right? None of this was canon, right?

Right???

Old School Peanuts (Mar 23, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 2-3, 1993)

Big Nate

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

But... it was all a dream sequence right? None of this was canon, right?

Right???

Since we've finished this Crabgrass storyline, here's what Tauhid Bondia posted on his instagram regarding it.

Tauhid Bondia posted:

But, Mr. Bondia, was it all REAL?!
Short answer : Yes. It’s all canon.
Long answer: I’ve been doing this strip since 2019 and I thinks it’s okay to spice things up a bit. I wanna take the boys on wilder adventures without having to explain away the fantastic bits at the end. What if that stuff just happened because stuff like that happens in this world? That doesn’t mean Kevin and Miles have to stop being relatable or reminding us of our own childhoods, does it? Of course not (that’s what one-offs between story arch are for). But if they happen to stow away on the space shuttle and fly to moon that just means it happened. It wasn’t the power of imagination or an inspired issued of Captain Squirrel. It was an adventure they had. Because, why not?

Also, in Breaking Cat News...

Georgia Dunn posted:

The ‘Breaking Cat News’ strip that ran in newspapers on Charles Schulz’s 100th birthday this year will now be a part of the Charles Schulz Museum collection!! They reached out to cartoonists who created tribute strips this past November, asking if we would consider donating them. I jumped at the chance, (of course!) and am so honored that my strip was accepted.

My Opa and Nana Dee Dee were each huge fans of Peanuts and passed that love on early. They had a Peppermint Patty doll and a beautiful talking Snoopy that told stories from tapes. I spent hours playing with those great toys and watching every Peanuts special over and over and OVER again with Nana. ❤️ I wish so much that I could tell them about this. I hope I’ve made them proud!

And yes, I included a photo of my preschool portrait with Snoopy in my submission. 😂 I don’t know if that also made it into the collection, but I hope they at least found it amusing. ❤️

So honored that a little piece of BCN will now be a part of the Charles Schulz Museum collection! ❤️❤️❤️ Much thanks to them!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Mar 23, 1954)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The_Other posted:

Since we've finished this Crabgrass storyline, here's what Tauhid Bondia posted on his instagram regarding it.

I'm *really* not sure how I feel about this but I trust Tauhid enough to roll with it for now. At the very least it opens the door to some potentially cool stuff.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I mean, there was that arc about the underground civilization of sports mascots, so this isn't really *new* for Crabgrass, just kind of a codification of it being a thing that happens once in a while.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Crap, I never found a good place to mention this, but longtime threadmates might be pleased to know that Stephanie McMillan has just put out a new edition of her Minimum Security longform story Resistance To Ecocide ($30 for print version, $5 for the PDF (although she's marked that option as "payment optional")).

She made a few adjustments to the previously printed version from Seven Stories Press. For instance, she added back the ripped-from-the-headlines commentary that I semi-affectionately called the "nag ticker" back in the day, and went back to remove some unconsciously ableist elements that she deeply regrets now (hell, don't we all). She also made some revision choices to tidy up the art a bit and clarify a few story elements.

And yet...one of those clarifications is that Otto doesn't have an accent anymore. (noooooooooooooooooo)

(compare and contrast)

You might remember I bailed on my repost project a few years ago when my post loads got a little bloated, so this is a good way to revisit the whole story and atone for our past sins contribute to a creator whose legend looms large in the thread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

readingatwork posted:

I'm *really* not sure how I feel about this but I trust Tauhid enough to roll with it for now. At the very least it opens the door to some potentially cool stuff.

I dig it. No need to be a Calvin clone but with two boys. This opens up a lot of stuff.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Crab Dad posted:

I dig it. No need to be a Calvin clone but with two boys. This opens up a lot of stuff.
I'm on the fence about it; I think it would've been a little better received if it hadn't dragged on so drat long. It was about a third longer than it needed to be.
They can work, just need to get the timing down, is all I'm saying.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The way everyone in-comic just rolls with the weird poo poo kinda reminds me of 90s/00s Cartoon Network cartoons, in a good way. Tauhid does need to work on the pacing a bit though.

1980 comics

:hmmyes:

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Crimestoppers Textbook
...also stay away from side streets (where Criminals catch unsuspecting Victims,) and major thoroughfares (Where Criminals congregate to gain safety in numbers.) Buildings of all kinds, really (Criminals could be in or around them and catch you unawares at any second.)

Criminals could also hide behind anything; mailboxes, cars, rocks.

So you've decided to jog in an open field? That's the worst mistake of all, now you're exposed and Criminals can come at you (defenseless) from any direction.

The Crimestoppers Textbook solution to be safe from all crime, forever? Kill yourself. (That way, a Criminal can't kill you first, and you win.)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 06, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

In the original Finnish, he isn't browsing Reddit, he's browsing Suomi24 ("Finland24"), which is a popular Finnish message board for the ... let's call them the masses? The "I went to the university of life, mate" types? The kinda place you go to if you want to hear what True Finns voters and people with largely forgotten elementary school educations think about the big topics of the day. The kind of place people go to when they "do their own research" into vaccines or something.

So I figured Reddit was maybe the closest English equivalent.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So I figured Reddit was maybe the closest English equivalent.

That or the comments section under Fox News articles, yeah.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Weird Crabgrass is fine, Mascot Island was great. Kevinmind not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat May 14, 1916

The Ignatz Mouse Debaffler posted:

This is apparently the first use of the Minnie Mouse cognomen in continuity comics (12 years before the animated short Plane Crazy introduced her as Mickey's [url-https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inamorata]inamorata[/url]), while the Mickey Mouse name appeared initially (in tandem with a Minnie Mouse figure) in an all-mouse narrative written and drawn by Johnny Gruelle in Good Housekeeping magazine for most of 1919. Gruelle, of course, made a children's book fortune with his Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy series.