Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You have my permission to paint your zippers white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s stolen valour

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not if you've upgraded the SSD. Some say that if you put a 1TB in there you earn the right to use golden zippers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sorry bud a matte screen protector isn’t getting you into the club

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody gets in without showing off their 512 exclusive drawstring pouch and microfibre cloth

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I enter my password on a retro grey-green Steam virtual keyboard because I’m a cool kid.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody gets in without showing off their 512 exclusive drawstring pouch and microfibre cloth

He puts the steamdeck in the pouch or it gets the hose again

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thank you sincerely thread for turning me on to MGS:V.

I still love 3, but I think this took over its spot on my FAVOURITE GAMES EVER.

It's just so good.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Anyone tried out any 4x or historical games that play and work well on the Deck?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Civ6 plays particularly well on the deck, because everything's exposed as steam input actions so its real easy to make good bindings.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I really love about my Steam Deck is that I can tell my computer to make some AI art and then play games while it's doing it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ironically I tell my Dreck to make AI art because it's beefier than my computer.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's the quickest way to upload/send videos from decky recorder? Right now I record, dock the deck, transfer video to usb then to my desktop so I can send it over messenger to my brothers, but I'm sure I'm taking the longest route there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh snap mine will be here Friday.

I love living 15 minutes from a major east coast shipping hub.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

What are good alternatives to the guitar pick thing people use to open this? I don't have a specialized toolkit and my nails aren't cutting it

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ignis posted:

What are good alternatives to the guitar pick thing people use to open this? I don't have a specialized toolkit and my nails aren't cutting it

An expired gift card or credit card can do in a pinch, just have to start from the triggers buttons since there's a bit more play to fit the card in.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I noticed you can’t upload screenshots of non-Steam games, like emulators. I assume these are all in a folder somewhere in desktop mode that I could then transfer manually, but is there an easier way to upload these screenshots somewhere while still in gaming mode?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Decky disappeared after an update. Is there something I need to poke to make it come back or just reinstall?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

An expired gift card or credit card can do in a pinch, just have to start from the triggers buttons since there's a bit more play to fit the card in.

Thanks, I ended up using an old ID card to make my way through it. Now to reimage and hope this still works :pray:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Decky disappeared after an update. Is there something I need to poke to make it come back or just reinstall?

Just reinstall it, should come right back with all your plugins in tact. Happens every now and again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Anyone tried out any 4x or historical games that play and work well on the Deck?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lol how many accounts does this guy have?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Question Mark Mound posted:

I noticed you can’t upload screenshots of non-Steam games, like emulators. I assume these are all in a folder somewhere in desktop mode that I could then transfer manually, but is there an easier way to upload these screenshots somewhere while still in gaming mode?

I wish I could help but instead I'll add on: has anybody tried something that functions like Dropbox to sync those folders automagically for access on desktop later?
Played through Yakuza 6 and currently playing through Judgment and those games make me take a looot of screenshots.
Uploading them one-by-one is kinda annoying, so the ideal solution would be something that would automatically pop them up to some cloud folder, but maybe that's too much to ask.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ignis posted:

This won't help you now, but I highly recommend iFixit's Essential Electronics Toolkit for opening up a variety of crap. It comes with a dozen or so of the aforementioned guitar picks which are helpful for holding case clips in place while you're trying to crack open a laptop or whatever.

As a bonus, if you're following an iFixit guide they usually use the same tools.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Angryhead posted:

I wish I could help but instead I'll add on: has anybody tried something that functions like Dropbox to sync those folders automagically for access on desktop later?
I just use rsync for this. I imagine there's some GUI SFTP client that would work about as well.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have a hyper specific edge case for Steam Deck controls that I don’t know if I can get it exactly how I want it but thought I may as well ask.

When using the DS emulator I’m able to use the touchscreen as expected which is fine, but I also want to be able to use the trackpad as a grab and drag action. In RetroArch’s core settings I can set the DS touchscreen to Mouse, Touch (the current setting), or Joystick. Joystick and Mouse both have a permanent black cursor on the screen to indicate where will be touched when a click happens.

In theory that could be okay since I could use both the Deck’s touchscreen and the trackpad as a mouse in that mode, but when using the touchscreen is just drags the cursor around relative to where my finger is, like a mobile phone port of a shmup where it doesn’t snap to my finger, but will move in tandem with how much my finger has dragged down the screen.

Can you think of a way where I can tap precisely on the screen, but also hold and drag on the trackpad for times when that’s easier? It would make Picross 3D even better to be able to tap blocks to remove, but use the touchpad to rotate the puzzle.

Angryhead posted:

Played through Yakuza 6 and currently playing through Judgment and those games make me take a looot of screenshots.
Uploading them one-by-one is kinda annoying, so the ideal solution would be something that would automatically pop them up to some cloud folder, but maybe that's too much to ask.
In theory couldn’t you install Dropbox to the deck in desktop mode and point to the screenshots folder as the sync location?

I don’t know if it’s possible to only sync a single folder from that cloud service though so maybe sign up for one that’s only going to be used for deck screenshots.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its annoying the only anydesk purchase options are a corporate license for like $30 a month or whatever. i just want to use it for my deck and rarely my work pc and would pay $20 once to get rid of the FREE PERSONAL LICENSE banner or whatever

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole

Super No Vacancy posted:

its annoying the only anydesk purchase options are a corporate license for like $30 a month or whatever. i just want to use it for my deck and rarely my work pc and would pay $20 once to get rid of the FREE PERSONAL LICENSE banner or whatever

if you mean the nag screen when you use it too many times a month or whatever you can apply for the whitelist here https://pages.hs.anydesk.com/anydesk-license

i gave them the relevant anydesk id and the ids for the decks i'd been working on and haven't seen anything since

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Vegastar posted:

Just reinstall it, should come right back with all your plugins in tact. Happens every now and again.

I thought I had been drinking too much because I was certain I had Decky installed.

I guess I'm just not used to pc/Linux gaming

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

King Boo posted:

if you mean the nag screen when you use it too many times a month or whatever you can apply for the whitelist here https://pages.hs.anydesk.com/anydesk-license

i gave them the relevant anydesk id and the ids for the decks i'd been working on and haven't seen anything since

i mean the nag banner but if there's a nag screen too then i should definitely do this, thankssss

edit is the whitelist per device or per account

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 9, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Hey Mes while you're here, change the discord invite in the OP to https://discord.gg/hXZeMPF27y
Never expires, no user limit.

you mean it this time? lool

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Decky breaking and needing to be reinstalled every update is kinda like updates to a soft modded console breaking homebrew every time, or updates to Skyrim breaking mod support.

At least the Steam Deck isn't updating just to add some DLC/microtransactions to the in game shop, or even specifically to break homebrew though.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mescal posted:

you mean it this time? lool

Hey, last one was MarcusSA's not me! I ticked the options real good.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Considering finally picking up a Steam deck (likely entry model). I mostly be using it at home with steam remote play as I have a recently build rig so I'd like to take advantage of that performance. Does the suspend feature on the deck work with remote/streaming play or is it only on games that are running on the hardware itself?

Also, are there aftermarket matte screen protectors to help with glare or is the most expensive deck the only "low glare" option around?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pikey posted:

Considering finally picking up a Steam deck (likely entry model). I mostly be using it at home with steam remote play as I have a recently build rig so I'd like to take advantage of that performance. Does the suspend feature on the deck work with remote/streaming play or is it only on games that are running on the hardware itself?
It won't suspend the game on the desktop, it keeps running but you can reconnect. You can also start a game on the desktop, walk away from it, and connect to your session on the deck to continue remotely.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Rolo posted:

Oh snap mine will be here Friday.

I love living 15 minutes from a major east coast shipping hub.

This thing is probably the best entertainment I’ve had for commuting and lovely overnight locations. You’re going to love it!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bob A Feet posted:

This thing is probably the best entertainment I’ve had for commuting and lovely overnight locations. You’re going to love it!

It has totally changed my considerations on what games I buy. I preferred using a controller in PC games, but now it's like a requirement.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

jokes posted:

It has totally changed my considerations on what games I buy. I preferred using a controller in PC games, but now it's like a requirement.

Not necessarily, but I get what you mean.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

If you’re wondering, the Re 4 remake demo does not run too well on the deck

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nothing new runs well when it first comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

If you’re wondering, the Re 4 remake demo does not run too well on the deck

Not sure if you already tried this, but just saw it on Twitter