Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A Keychron Q5 or Q6 and sending the case off to get carakoted imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

ijyt posted:

A Keychron Q5 or Q6 and sending the case off to get carakoted imo.

Looks like neither are wireless.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah keychron has started making wireless versions of the Q series but they've only got around to the Q1 (75%) so far

solid aluminium and wireless tend not to get mixed very often, since the main draw of wireless is for portable use

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

yeah keychron has started making wireless versions of the Q series but they've only got around to the Q1 (75%) so far

solid aluminium and wireless tend not to get mixed very often, since the main draw of wireless is for portable use

The Q1 Pro is BT only with a polling rate of 90Hz over wireless. Probably not good enough to recommend if you're going to game on it at all.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

Speaking of, I caved and bought a bag of their mystery keys after seeing how many people on the mechanical keyboard subreddit got Gateron Ink Black switches

Update on this: I just got a loose sack of 92 Gateron Silent Clear switches. I guess that's not terrible for $15

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I ended up with two bags of TTC switches that aren't labelled, I think they're silent browns? Some kind of TTC browns, at least. Meh.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

LionArcher posted:

and for people who want to spend too much on GMMK sets, one of the best sets ever pre order just went live.

https://novelkeys.com/products/gmk-cubed

I wonder whether they already tried having the legends be in the GAMECUBE typeface and rejected it.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Mischievous Mink posted:

I ended up with two bags of TTC switches that aren't labelled, I think they're silent browns? Some kind of TTC browns, at least. Meh.

I got two bags of TTC pcb mount switches as well. Browns and some pro reds (grey bottom) or something like that. Waste of money.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q11-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40409508905049

Keychron just released a new split keyboard.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

After using the Sinc for a while, I gotta say, traditional layouts for ergosplits... are difficult.

I went back to the Sofle v2 for writing pretty quickly after giving the Sinc a fair shot — the drat thing just isn't stable in the middle without adding shims to support the H key, and even then you can't really get clackin' without worrying about the board moving on you when it's in a typical split position. I'm thinking about making a cedar case for it but if that can't solve the weight/stability issues it may be time to sell it.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

George RR Fartin posted:

KBO-5000 I built last week, finished up with a clear 3D printed wrap around layer that really helps the underlighting. Ignore my knees and taped-together wrist rests (the grey ones you see on top are nearly a quarter century old at this point - I got a giant box of them when I worked at my old college, and I have no idea what happened to most of 'em).

My only real complaint at this point is that the plates from keeb.io don't have recesses for where the USB inputs are, so you end up pushing the PCB up a bit to get a cable in, and that can't be good. I plan on filing those sections down on the bottom of the case to fix the issue. Otherwise, it's much more straightforward than the Sofle I made last year - I realize ortho is more ergonomic, but bucking against 30 years of muscle memory isn't gonna work out so well, and I took for granted how much my work (proprietary medical software stuff) loves to assign bizarre F key combinations to everything or like, "You must use right ctrl and an arrow for this to work," which is not something a Sofle is particularly designed to handle. I need to solder in an LED for caps lock or figure out if I can get the underglow to change when it's active, but I haven't delved into QMK really.

Edit: mill-max sockets were much easier to solder in than I anticipated, as well. If it weren't for their god-awful price I'd say they should be something everyone considers when building a keyboard.

Nice!

I finished my KBO-5000 a couple days ago. 3D printed a case using their .stl files. That fixed the USB cable they provided not fitting, no underglow though. Maybe one day I'll find some 3u spacebars to fill the gap beside the ALT's. That entire bottom row needs to be replaced, but I wanted the bigger 1.5u CTRL and ALT since I'm using Illustrator shortcuts all day long.

Ya, the mill-max sockets were easier to solder than I thought. Oh wait, that's wrong, the entire left PCB had smaller holes that I had to drill out a bit with a screwdriver.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Got the rest of my order from Divinikey today. Pretty happy! It was easy to assemble... just a lot of switches to install and then a lot of keycaps to attach. Like the most boring lego set ever.

The switches feel great. I'm super happy with them. They feel real nice and have a nice, quiet thunk to them. Going to take a bit to get used to but I'm looking forward to typing a bunch on this. Very interested to see how they game, as well - just in time for the CS:GO2 release, maybe?

I did have one piece of trouble: The spacebar sticks in the down position when I install the keycap in the proper orientation. As soon as I push it down it doesn't pop back up. If I put it in backwards it works. That's... fine, I guess? But it looks kind of stupid, leaning the wrong way like that. It also is definitely the loudest key on the board, but I think that's typical of the larger keys? Not sure if it's related at all. The internet tells me it could be a warped keycap (don't think so, it lays flat on the desk), overlubed spacebar stabilizers (??? didn't touch them) or warped spacebar stabs (????).

I also think I may have chosen some of the wrong caps out of the box for the Insert/Del 6-key block. Insert stands noticeably higher than any of the others and the way home/end lean at each other just looks real awkward. This is probably just user error, I think there was some other poo poo in the box that I should go fish out. (Nevermind I had them switched)

EDIT: Oh, PBTfans also included and extra set of FJB keys which I'm sure someone thought was very cute but holy poo poo :rolleyes:

MerrMan fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 10, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MerrMan posted:

EDIT: Oh, PBTfans also included and extra set of FJB keys which I'm sure someone thought was very cute but holy poo poo :rolleyes:

those are there for a reason, the other F and J have a different style of homing indicator, and the extra B is for alice layouts that have B on both sides

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

repiv posted:

those are there for a reason, the other F and J have a different style of homing indicator, and the extra B is for alice layouts that have B on both sides

Oh holy poo poo it actually was a coincidence? I looked at them for like five minutes trying to figure out if I was missing something. Didn't notice the flat face instead of marked home indicator. I guess it's actually me who is the rear end in a top hat.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Few questions while finding the right keyboard.

How are Keychron's when it comes to latency for games?

Is there some way to find a keyboard that doesn't have awful lighting all over it? I can at least turn it off I guess but I feel like it's wasted to have it and never use it.

Is there some easy search term to look for keyboards with the F keys grouped together like this Keychron K4?

Or Kludge?

And should I just bite the bullet and get one of those because it looks close to what I want?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 10, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

With the exception of early Bluetooth keyboards ... I have never had a wired keyboard with perceptible latency when gaming.

The F-key grouping you're referring to is generally referred to as "75%", when there's no numpad included.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Few questions while finding the right keyboard.

How are Keychron's when it comes to latency for games?

Is there some way to find a keyboard that doesn't have awful lighting all over it? I can at least turn it off I guess but I feel like it's wasted to have it and never use it.

Is there some easy search term to look for keyboards with the F keys grouped together like this Keychron K4?

Or Kludge?

And should I just bite the bullet and get one of those because it looks close to what I want?

You won't notice much perceptible latency if it's like around 10ms or so, and even if it's 20-30ms it's probably not perceptible. I think a lot of folks shoot for lower latency stuff just because it's just one more than adding latency to your overall game responsiveness so it'd be good to minimize it, even if it's small. Most of the very fast stuff is gaming keyboards but there's a lot of them tested by rtings. Note that with rtings they let you view the list like three times and then ask you to join their insider program to see it after that (but you can use another browser or PC most of the time):
https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/tests/latency

Most of the keychrons are in the 10-12ms range including the K4 which should be totally fine.

I don't mind the lighting when I just set it to one color, but you could always turn it off or even just buy opaque keycaps if you want it to look different.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

my keyboard on my z fold 4 is split like that and I didn't realize how often I'd hit B with my left hand until I couldn't 😢

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Should I buy a Realforce R3 for mac? I love topre but they hardly have any modern boards.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't know how you people handle this hobby - at least ordering kits. Aesthetic is apparently on a goddamn ship and this will mark 2 years since I paid my money. :/ I don't think I'll ever order another set again but it sucks cause they are usually one and done. And if it comes up again the turnaround seems like it'll still take forever.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

teraflame posted:

Should I buy a Realforce R3 for mac? I love topre but they hardly have any modern boards.

I ask myself this at least once a year. Keep holding out, friend. They have to give us a modern 75% eventually... right? :ohdear:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Vintersorg posted:

I don't know how you people handle this hobby - at least ordering kits. Aesthetic is apparently on a goddamn ship and this will mark 2 years since I paid my money. :/ I don't think I'll ever order another set again but it sucks cause they are usually one and done. And if it comes up again the turnaround seems like it'll still take forever.

The trick is ordering multiple sets that you may never use but they're so pretty and they may never get reissued so better order them now and then there's a trickle feed of keyboards and switches and caps and artisans and cables that all come in just often enough to keep you hooked like a sad old man at the slot machines where you keep putting the quarter in and get that burst of serotonin.

NO YOU CAN QUIT ANY TIME YOU WANT.

In other good news, KAM SuperUser is scheduled for production in Q2, 2023! Yes I ordered it more than two years ago, and hope to have it by the end of the year.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Unsinkabear posted:

I ask myself this at least once a year. Keep holding out, friend. They have to give us a modern 75% eventually... right? :ohdear:

If you want an electro-capacitive board with a different layout than full-size or TKL, I think your only options is Nid/Plum (or Leopold)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I buy cheap poo poo, group buys are a joke. I considered backing the keystone keyboard in 2019 and it hasn't shipped. "Estimated Delivery Feb 2020"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

when i was building my first proper keyboard i was split between an in-stock dolch set in ABS or a group buy dolch set in PBT

i ended up going with the former, and the latter group buy collapsed with the runner disappearing with all the money

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
speaking of ABS vs PBT, I've used my current set of keycaps for long enough that they're starting to wear, and any time I notice it I am so, so unhappy

PBT 4 lyfe from here on out unless it's just for show/collection

... but my Analog Dreams order is... ABS...

:negative:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This is why I love that I can only use XDA (everything else doesn't feel smooth/the surface is too small for my thick fingers). All the keycaps I can get are in stock on Etsy/Amazon/Alliexpress and are clones of the good poo poo. Now I just wish the clone of Cubed would come out already. I would not buy clones if the keyboard nerd makers would actually make sets in things other than freaking Cherry.

I learned this the hard way and spent way too much early on on a set of GMMK Nautilus keys, which are just sitting in a box barely used. I should get around to selling that some day (I have most of the original packaging but it was before they went to the smaller cooler looking boxes for GMMK sets.)

As for group buy boards... I trust Mode, and that's about it.

It helps that I love the sonnet and Boba u4t's. I just need a few more top pieces in different colors and maybe an extra hot swap PCB or two and I'm set for life....

Or at least till they release a second Sonnet in three years time and more good sets of XDA come out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a place to buy just keycaps for cheap? Like if I wanted all white keycaps with clear lettering for rgb?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a place to buy just keycaps for cheap? Like if I wanted all white keycaps with clear lettering for rgb?

Amazon.

Sounds like you want pudding keycaps.

https://www.amazon.com/XVX-Pudding-...200&sr=8-3&th=1

One example, I'm sure they have whatever profile you want.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Amazon.

Sounds like you want pudding keycaps.

https://www.amazon.com/XVX-Pudding-...200&sr=8-3&th=1

One example, I'm sure they have whatever profile you want.

oh wow, those are gorgeous, I just meant where only the key lettering themselves were clear

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

oh wow, those are gorgeous, I just meant where only the key lettering themselves were clear

They often get called "shine through" where the legends are double shot with a clear plastic.
https://www.amazon.com/YMDK-Through-Switches-Mechanical-Keyboard%EF%BC%88Only/dp/B09YLXBM87/
https://www.amazon.com/Drop-Skylight-Keycap-Set-Shine-Through/dp/B08FLFKSWC/

There's probably cheaper ones but these are both PBT.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Just note that most shinethroughs don't work well with south mounted LEDs since they're not lined up

There are a few sets that put the legends on the bottom/side of the key which works well

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Bourricot posted:

If you want an electro-capacitive board with a different layout than full-size or TKL, I think your only options is Nid/Plum (or Leopold)

Yeah, Plum is the only one doing 75%-ish boards. I've bought a few of theirs and the first remains my favorite keyboard I've ever owned. But during COVID their costs went up and the quality of their typing experience went down, and like so many other companies, they kept it that way after the supply chain pinch went away. :smith:

My current NJ80 with Boba U4s is the closest I've come to getting that old one back.

LionArcher posted:

This is why I love that I can only use XDA (everything else doesn't feel smooth/the surface is too small for my thick fingers). All the keycaps I can get are in stock on Etsy/Amazon/Alliexpress and are clones of the good poo poo. Now I just wish the clone of Cubed would come out already. I would not buy clones if the keyboard nerd makers would actually make sets in things other than freaking Cherry.

I actually really love Cherry profile, but it is infuriating that every key can only work on one row. Let me move poo poo around or adapt to nonstandard layouts goddamnit

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

A quick heads-up around a really cool keycap set I found that's in-stock. As part of the Silicon Valley Bank collapse, Keyboard.IO is running a 20% discount code BANKRUN for the weekend. They've got some interesting split keyboards, but the PBT cap set I ordered is based off Linear-A, which is an ancient, extinct, and untranslated Cretan language. Honestly, I think I like the overall kit more than the Voynich set (which I almost ordered, but finally decided against). PBT, XDA, and remarkably comprehensive coverage.

I've never used them before, but I figured I'd risk AmEx's $80 for an interesting set.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Wizard of the Deep posted:

A quick heads-up around a really cool keycap set I found that's in-stock. As part of the Silicon Valley Bank collapse, Keyboard.IO is running a 20% discount code BANKRUN for the weekend. They've got some interesting split keyboards, but the PBT cap set I ordered is based off Linear-A, which is an ancient, extinct, and untranslated Cretan language. Honestly, I think I like the overall kit more than the Voynich set (which I almost ordered, but finally decided against). PBT, XDA, and remarkably comprehensive coverage.

I've never used them before, but I figured I'd risk AmEx's $80 for an interesting set.

holy poo poo those are pretty neat

and just about in impulse buy range too...

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, Plum is the only one doing 75%-ish boards. I've bought a few of theirs and the first remains my favorite keyboard I've ever owned. But during COVID their costs went up and the quality of their typing experience went down, and like so many other companies, they kept it that way after the supply chain pinch went away. :smith:

My current NJ80 with Boba U4s is the closest I've come to getting that old one back.
I didn't notice much difference between my pre-covid TKL and my 2021 Atom 68, maybe I got lucky (or maybe I'll notice it now that you've told me :argh:).
I also got an actual Topre because I love the electrocapacitive feel. The fact that you can't really get the same feel with mechanical switches is the main thing keeping from getting crazy with custom builds. Also the fact that I prefer lightweight switches (~35g) and most mechanical switches seem way above that (but I've heard the actuation weight means different things for electrocapacitive and mechanical switches)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

death cob for cutie posted:

holy poo poo those are pretty neat

and just about in impulse buy range too...

They're reasonably priced.

They're shipping now.

Buying them helps a small business during an cash crunch that's not their fault.

(i'm a professionally-bad influence)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend wants his first mechanical. I see Keychron chat on this page and I've seen them before so is the V1 QMK a good basic board? He'll be gaming on it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I picked up the RK61 (61 keys 60%) and they've got RK Red switches, and they're considerably softer than the Havit blue switches (and quieter than my 12 year old DAS's mx cherry browns)

not sure if I like it, but, at least they're hot swappable if I wanted them to be in the future.

I like the size profile but I am missing not having the arrow keys or home/end available at a single button press because I use them a lot. FN keys I couldn't care that much about besides f5 & F6 sometimes. Maybe I'll get used to it later, or maybe I should have got the RK71 lol.

The only other complaint is there is really bad branding with these, in that I got the all white rgb wireless, and there is a full rgb wireless... I would have gone with the full rgb but now that I have this one it's not really worth the effort to return it just for that.

I do like that it's wireless and I've reclaimed some desk space and because it's smaller I can just kind of slide it next to the monitor to eat at my desk or whatever, which was a lot harder to do with the full sized keyboard I had.

also, on reddit's keyboard subreddit it seems to be a popular choice for modding. The braided spiral cables seems incredibly frivolous though.

edit: I feel like I'm headed down a dark/expensive road, does anyone make pudding keycaps with custom lettering on it? In other words, I want to have the pudding keycaps but wish I had the existing macro lettering that comes with the keyboard.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I picked up the RK61 (61 keys 60%) and they've got RK Red switches, and they're considerably softer than the Havit blue switches (and quieter than my 12 year old DAS's mx cherry browns)

not sure if I like it, but, at least they're hot swappable if I wanted them to be in the future.

I like the size profile but I am missing not having the arrow keys or home/end available at a single button press because I use them a lot. FN keys I couldn't care that much about besides f5 & F6 sometimes. Maybe I'll get used to it later, or maybe I should have got the RK71 lol.

The only other complaint is there is really bad branding with these, in that I got the all white rgb wireless, and there is a full rgb wireless... I would have gone with the full rgb but now that I have this one it's not really worth the effort to return it just for that.

I do like that it's wireless and I've reclaimed some desk space and because it's smaller I can just kind of slide it next to the monitor to eat at my desk or whatever, which was a lot harder to do with the full sized keyboard I had.

also, on reddit's keyboard subreddit it seems to be a popular choice for modding. The braided spiral cables seems incredibly frivolous though.

edit: I feel like I'm headed down a dark/expensive road, does anyone make pudding keycaps with custom lettering on it? In other words, I want to have the pudding keycaps but wish I had the existing macro lettering that comes with the keyboard.

I bought this same keyboard (black version with red switches) last year and it’s been great as a “starter keyboard” but I’m getting to the point where it can’t deliver what I want/need anymore, now that I’ve acquired a taste for customizing my keyboard.

That being said there’s a lot to love—I changed the switches out for Wuque Silent Tactiles which are absolutely fantastic, feel amazing to type on. Being able to hotswap on the RK61 has helped me to figure out what I want out of my typing experience, been great for me to learn what different switches feel like (I happen to have a set of other tactile switches to compare with, and the OEM reds that came with it).

I also love all the connectivity options. My old Macbook hates bluetooth so the 2.4GHz dongle is great. It’s nice to be able to switch between that and 3 bluetooth devices (my PC, my phone and my tablet) and bring the keyboard with me wherever.

What’s killing me is that it’s impossible to remap the Fn key or to change the layer-switching key combos. This means that some inputs, such as up-arrow with shift held down, don’t work at all (in that example producing ‘?’). Even worse, some basic key combos that I use all the time end up triggering layer changes in the keyboard and making my life annoying, and there’s no way to change it.

Older versions of this keyboard had microcontrollers that you could get QMK on, but not this one. I did some research and re-flashing the firmware would require a special hardware programmer and even then it’d be a huge pain to try and get custom firmware running on it.

So now I find myself looking for a 60% or 65% wireless-capable QMK-compatible keyboard and wishing I didn’t have to. If I could remap the keys on this one I’d be content with what I have. Thinking I should have gone with the Anne Pro 60% instead but I was lured by the hot-swap switches. Ah well.

To answer your question, I don’t think it’s common to get custom legends unless you’re manufacturing a keyboard to go along with them (someone correct me if I’m wrong). Same as you I’ve considered getting different caps but I don’t really mind the ABS keycaps on the RK61 and I figure if I stay with it long enough I’ll have memorized the special functions and won’t mind not seeing them on any aftermarket keycaps I install (and can use RGB to highlight the Fn key anyways).

Rodney The Yam II fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 14, 2023