Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

HopperUK posted:

Ooo Asterix game! Is this one of the fun ones?

You beat a bunch of Roman rear end nonstop!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

AngryBooch posted:

Yep, release Suicide Squad, task a skeleton crew to do the 1 year of post launch battle pass support, schedule the "Ending Support of Suicide Squad" Tweet for May 2024, and get the rest of Rocksteady cracking on the next game.

Sick of these studios that should be innovating and perfecting and leading trying to be Destiny 2.

An FPS MMO should be a slam dunk. Execs just seem determined to poison pill them with deeply hostile monetization.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LLSix posted:

An FPS MMO should be a slam dunk.

It...should?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

You beat a bunch of Roman rear end nonstop!!

Hell yeah channelling Boudica

She burned my hometown, we're very proud

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

AngryBooch posted:

lol come the gently caress on, just get it out and get to work on the next one. There's no saving this one

Ill say the presentation made me go from curious to knowing I will never touch it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LLSix posted:

An FPS MMO should be a slam dunk. Execs just seem determined to poison pill them with deeply hostile monetization.

So Planetside 2 but not made by the people behind Planetside 2

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Overminty posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1633900563447332875?s=20

Don't know why he included that last sentence on the original tweet if this is the reasoning

Execs are absolutely gone off that GAAS and think that just a couple of tweaks will improve their predatory gameplay experience that everyone except Madden players loving despise. Stop it. Give up. We hate this poo poo.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'm subscribing to the platinum tier of suicide squad for the sharkman bikini skin

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Of all the things to copy from Destiny I dunno why the mind numbing equipment system is the one they land on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Think of all the pallete swapped shoes they’ll be able to design for the store with the extra time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I can't think of a game I went from being excited about to actively dreading as much as Suicide Squad. It's by the people who made the Arkham Games, they CAN'T have hosed it up this badly, surely!?! :byodame:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

Of all the things to copy from Destiny I dunno why the mind numbing equipment system is the one they land on.

all shall die on the altar of number go up

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

RE4 demo is live

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's a Sherlock Holmes sale on steam right now and can someone explain what in the world is going on in these Frogware's games? He's fighting Cthulhu and Lupin and I saw a bad review for one mention "bad combat" and :psyduck:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jossar posted:

Now somebody tell me if Per Aspera is good enough to justify buying it at 50% off. It's the only one of the games that I'm considering buying that I'm on the fence about.

I found the story to be really intriguing and I wanted to see where it would go. What killed it for me is, there are certain events that happen in the game that are designed to put you in a state of distress, but depending on how you're playing (especially if you're expanding quite a lot), that "distress" might just be a sort of soft-game over where you'll never be able to recover. Specifically, a sabotage event that damages and/or destroys every single one of your buildings This was said to be patched by the time I played the game but I sure ran into the same issue :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

eNGagemEnT

it's important to remember these decisions about monetization are being made at a level above the developers, at AAA the costs involved limit who can even make them, so one way or another they'll look for ways to increase profits

:capitalism:

and no "just make Elden Ring" isn't an alternative

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

victrix posted:

"just make Elden Ring"

At the very minor risk of setting myself up for disappointment, if Rocksteady's next game isn't Elden Ring but with Arkham style combat and the Shadow of Mordor Nemesis system then gaming as a whole has failed us all.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
People have been saying they're gonna make a better Nemesis system game for years and it hasn't panned out, so I think this point we'd probably even take a mediocre one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nemesis System but also with romance

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Do not "pursue" Lu Bu.... but we just can't resist! :biglips:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hwurmp posted:

Romenses

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hwurmp posted:

Protagonist is casually strolling down the street when Book-Loving Girl pops out of a hedge. "Senpai you said you liked chocolate so I learned how to make chocolate at home. Try it!" [Book-Loving Girl has become Chocolatier Girl]

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nemesenpai

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if most of these GaaS releases do recoup their costs but drat it's kinda grim how they are all canned after a couple years.

I think they recoup their costs really quickly and get shut down when the trickle of income stops. There are a bunch of whales who will buy out the entire in-game store the minute the game first gives them access to the store, but they can only do that once. Basically they are beginning to realize that the playerbase who continues playing GaaS long-term are not the ones spending money on it, the revenue comes from the people who won't bat an eye at dropping $1000 on cosmetic skins for a game they only play for a day or two. Those same people are also the type who will buy a game and do all of that on launch day, they're not the ones picking it up a year+ after release. A lot of AAA game development these days is pretty much a crypto pump & dump with a whole lot more development effort/cost, which might explain why some AAA publishers are pushing toward literal crypto pump & dumps in their games :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 10, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What Destiny did great was MMO style raids/dungeons but in an action game instead of a tab target MMO. I had a lot of fun with those. I'll accept a gear treadmill with it and if you want to try to drag me into the game with dailies/weeklies to hit engagement metrics whatever. What I can't stand is how fiddly and obtuse all the equipment poo poo is in Destiny and these imitators. I get no dopamine hit when I find a new sword/gun/gunsword/etc if it's 0.5% better than my current one or even worse has some secondary effect that is 1% different so I need 10 variations of a weapon to figure out which fiddly secondary is best for my character. Yeah eventually I equip a bunch of new items and my character is 200% better but the individual steps are boring tedium and don't encourage me to play.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Diablo 2 is literally the last videogame to have good loot, except for that one Chinese ARPG that's in beta right now that has gear that does things like "an aura damages all enemies near you every second as long as you scream into your microphone"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Marvel Heroes didn't have great loot but it did have the configurable Loot Vacuum (that auto-converted junk into credits) so you could just have ridiculous piñatas exploding everywhere then suck up everything but the relevant drops, even if 99.9% of the time you probably weren't going to do much more than use what was left as grist, too. But hey, sometimes you got another pyramid so you could slap a teleport on another character in the roster (at least until the movement update near the end).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jossar posted:

People have been saying they're gonna make a better Nemesis system game for years and it hasn't panned out, so I think this point we'd probably even take a mediocre one.

has anyone even made a worse nemesis system game?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

XCOM 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mycot posted:

There's a Sherlock Holmes sale on steam right now and can someone explain what in the world is going on in these Frogware's games? He's fighting Cthulhu and Lupin and I saw a bad review for one mention "bad combat" and :psyduck:
if you just want a normal Sherlock game, Crimes & Punishments is the one you want

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey had the Cultists and Mercenaries who you were supposed to level your way up through fighting, and from memory the latter could also rank up over their rivals etc. It wasn't very robust but it added a little more variety to the game at least.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

mycot posted:

Frogwares is/was a Ukrainian game studio, which, uhhh, yeah. Anyway, the upcoming 'new' Sherlock Holmes game is a remake/upgrade of one of their very first titles, done by their Ireland satellite studio, to keep the money coming in. They stopped trying the weird crossovers pretty early, but this is still one of those.

Chapter One does have combat, and yep, it's terrible.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Picayune posted:

Frogwares is/was a Ukrainian game studio, which, uhhh, yeah. Anyway, the upcoming 'new' Sherlock Holmes game is a remake/upgrade of one of their very first titles, done by their Ireland satellite studio, to keep the money coming in. They stopped trying the weird crossovers pretty early, but this is still one of those.

Chapter One does have combat, and yep, it's terrible.

Please tell me he's at least boxing people Yakuza-style instead of shooting them with a gun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

mycot posted:

They aren’t really all that out there. Awakened just takes some of the trappings of Lovecraft mythos and puts them in an adventure game. I had never heard of Lupin before Nemesis but he turns out to be a decent foil for Holmes in a more lighthearted adventure. They’re both decent adventure games for the era but a bit dated at this point.

Bad combat probably refers to Frogwares trying to modernize the franchise in the more recent entries and one of their ideas to do that was QTE fistfights trying to emulate the Guy Ritchie movies. Most of the time you still are examining places and stuff to solve mysteries but awkward stuff gets in the way sometimes. Crimes and Punishments as mentioned is the best of the recent games because it keeps that stuff to a minimum and just has you solve a series of crimes and mysteries. Devils Daughter is very similar to C&P with its series of cases but outside of that tries to tell a personal story for Holmes - this part is also a semi-sequel to The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - and Frogwares have never been that good at telling longer stories, nor do they have the budget to make up for it with voice acting or animation.

As long as you don’t go in expecting the production values of Detroit Become Human they’re charming little games, most of the time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For anyone who cares, "PoE-killer" ARPG Last Epoch released its multiplayer mode today after 3-4 years of being singleplayer-only.

I couldn't tell you if the multiplayer is any good because I bounced off the game hard enough 3 years ago that I have no desire to try it again, but I remember it being somewhat popular with people who were bored of PoE

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

watch underscore dogs 3

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Diablo 2 is literally the last videogame to have good loot, except for that one Chinese ARPG that's in beta right now that has gear that does things like "an aura damages all enemies near you every second as long as you scream into your microphone"

Please tell me what this game is

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1902710/Weird_RPG

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256918236/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1669639772

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApLFqTdeRS4

Back when it came out a goon made a post about it in some thread talking about some of the weird items they had found like I think voice-activated pants and some other really weirdly bizarre/creative items. I cannot find that post though

e: One of the items when you activate it plays an original song written, performed and recorded by the developer and you get a buff for listening through the entire thing. There's an incredibly powerful weapon that scales down in power the more recent your videocard is, or one that gives you a scaling damage buff that gets larger the lower you set the FPS cap. All kinds of wacky stuff like that. No idea if the game is good but it's an inspiration in item design :allears:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 10, 2023

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

They aren’t really all that out there. Awakened just takes some of the trappings of Lovecraft mythos and puts them in an adventure game. I had never heard of Lupin before Nemesis but he turns out to be a decent foil for Holmes in a more lighthearted adventure. They’re both decent adventure games for the era but a bit dated at this point.

Bad combat probably refers to Frogwares trying to modernize the franchise in the more recent entries and one of their ideas to do that was QTE fistfights trying to emulate the Guy Ritchie movies. Most of the time you still are examining places and stuff to solve mysteries but awkward stuff gets in the way sometimes. Crimes and Punishments as mentioned is the best of the recent games because it keeps that stuff to a minimum and just has you solve a series of crimes and mysteries. Devils Daughter is very similar to C&P with its series of cases but outside of that tries to tell a personal story for Holmes - this part is also a semi-sequel to The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - and Frogwares have never been that good at telling longer stories, nor do they have the budget to make up for it with voice acting or animation.

As long as you don’t go in expecting the production values of Detroit Become Human they’re charming little games, most of the time.

Unless they're referring to The Sinking City, which somehow managed to make "Shoot the monster until it dies" the least fun thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rox
Sep 7, 2016

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: One of the items when you activate it plays an original song written, performed and recorded by the developer and you get a buff for listening through the entire thing. There's an incredibly powerful weapon that scales down in power the more recent your videocard is, or one that gives you a scaling damage buff that gets larger the lower you set the FPS cap. All kinds of wacky stuff like that. No idea if the game is good but it's an inspiration in item design :allears:

lol hell yeah