Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I guarantee it stole most of that from AO3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gnome de plume posted:

feels a bit like something geared towards somewhat younger readers

Yeah gpt currently writes competent but unexceptional prose like you'd expect from an intelligent 12 yo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The_Doctor posted:

I want to get a copy of Rob's book at some point, but I know it will just wreck me.

You absolutely should, because it's genuinely excellent and rob writes it perfectly, and yes it absolutely will.

Can confirm because it just did, holy poo poo.

Seriously it's so good though. Loving and fascinating and warm and unflinching and funny in the exactly right proportions.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

On to the shepherds crown! I'm sure that will be much less emotional.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

sebmojo posted:

On to the shepherds crown! I'm sure that will be much less emotional.

Uhhhh.

I’m holding off on that because I know it’ll wreck me and I’ll need some recovery time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dino. posted:

Uhhhh.

I’m holding off on that because I know it’ll wreck me and I’ll need some recovery time.

Yeah, you want to take that dose carefully. It's a fitting conclusion to both Tiffany's story, and Discworld as a whole, but I this pretty hard on the way through.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really found The Shepherd's Crown to be a much more pleasant and enjoyable read than Raising Steam.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Pratchett biography is extremely blunt about how bad that one was.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I don't know if Terry had help, it had good external editing, or if Terry managed to rally together for the ending, but the difference in quality between Raising Steam and Shepherd's Crown is stark. A very good ending to Discworld as a whole, both thematically and in plot events. The Tiffany Aching books are the best Discworld series, even if they are supposed to be YA.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'll check the biography, but I think raising steam was more of a last minute fix job.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I really need to find a copy of the bio myself, I've been aching to read it. Everything about sound completely devastating but it would really unlock the context for his last few books.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just by that mean that The Shepherd's Crown is pleasurable and reading it should be something to look forward to and not to dread.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I just by that mean that The Shepherd's Crown is pleasurable and reading it should be something to look forward to and not to dread.

But once I read the Shepher's Crown, it's over. And I'm still not emotionally ready.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

IshmaelZarkov posted:

But once I read the Shepher's Crown, it's over. And I'm still not emotionally ready.

You can read it lots of times!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I still haven’t read the Shepherds Crown

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thetoughestbean posted:

I still haven’t read the Shepherds Crown

Don't want to put your username to the test?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

sebmojo posted:

Don't want to put your username to the test?

It’s tough as in tough to chew.

Emotionally I’m much softer

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
The biography is 99p on Amazon UK today https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terry-Pratchett-Footnotes-Official-Biography-ebook/dp/B09R2B8J17/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is cheap on US kindle also.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Reading it now. Hooked me from the word go. This Wilkins fellow can write too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

divabot posted:

Reading it now. Hooked me from the word go. This Wilkins fellow can write too.

Rob was in the room when half the Discworld books were written and he did the manuscript checking for the last few. You can't do that and not pick up a few things.

That said, remember that the first half of the biog is based directly on Pterry's drafts so there's a lot of the OFiaH in there.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

withak posted:

It is cheap on US kindle also.

It’s $18, mate. What are you on about.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was $1.something at the time of posting. Try to keep up old man.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

withak posted:

It was $1.something at the time of posting. Try to keep up old man.

:wal::wal::wal:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.amazon.com/Terry-Pratchett-Footnotes-Official-Biography-ebook/dp/B09R2B8J17

$1.17 bro

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

What the HELL is the truth here

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
idk maybe amazon likes me better than you

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Just popping in to this convo about Amazon's horrible pricing practices to say I've just finished The Color of Magic and am starting in on The Light Fantastic, reading through this series for the first time. Only other Pratchett work I've read is Good Omens. It feels like between that and loving Douglas Adams as a kid this is a series I should have read but just didn't for some reason. And I'm two books into NK Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy and needed...a palate cleanser of goofiness before I go to the third. So far enjoying it, especially as I understand the writing only gets stronger as the series goes on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Terry ‘gets it’ from Mort onwards, which is a pretty cold take. So if you’re reading in order, you don’t have to wait long.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I wouldn't recommend a new reader start at Colour of Magic. I'd say pick a series that sounds fun to you (Watch, Witches, Death, etc) and read that through, then switch to another one. My first Discworld book was Going Postal and that had me instantly hooked, I'd recommend it too as a good start for any new reader since it's mostly self contained and doesn't require much context to understand the worldbuilding

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Give me publication order or give me death.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Eh, I've already finished Colour of Magic and am hooked enough. I'm good going through them in order. I'm not a non-fantasy-reading person who has to be hooked. At one point all new readers had to start with book one.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Give me publication order or give me death.

THAT CAN BE ARRANGED

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Start with whatever book you're holding. If you're deciding what book to get, then there are recommendations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You can probably skip Equal Rites though, it's still getting the pieces in order. Or read it later before it comes up again.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The place where someone who wants to get into Pratchett should start depends on what else they're into. For me, Jingo was the ideal place and like most people, once I was in, I was up for anything.

If you like fantasy, The Colour of Magic will do you fine. Are you more into detective/cop stories? Try Men at Arms. Rock and roll lover? Soul Music. Film buff? Moving Pictures. Caper stories? Going Postal. Shakespeare? Wyrd Sisters. YA? Johnny Maxwell or The Amazing Maurice.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Riven posted:

I'm good going through them in order.

:hai:

don't listen to these other losers. no skipping, publication order, Final Destination.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah I read a few misc ones and then read in pub order. Pub order is fine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

First two really are fine they're just a bit more slapdash and episodic. Still plenty of funny jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my first contact with pratchett was buying the last continent and night watch at a mall bookstore when i was sixteen or something. sat down at a bench and went through most of the last continent right there

lot of passersby that day probably wondering why this kid appeared to be having a nervous breakdown in public. there were points i was quiet-laughing so hard my body bent like a stapler