Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

how does it feel/sound compared to a (not busted) american standard strat? custom shop guitars like this are an unknown quantity for me, best guitars i've ever played are just japanese and american production instruments like esp e-ii, prs s2, etc.

it sounds amazing but im not going to tell you it's worth the price because it's not. Does it sound better than the other strats? Yes. If I swapped this pickups into either of those, I'm guessing they would sound just as good. I can play music just as well on a mia or a mim. But the body and neck are the feel I want. So fit and finish is clearly higher quality. it's feels about 2 lb lighter than my other strats. there's no imperfections, the neck angle/alignment is exactly where I want it, it has no neck gap at all unlike my other fenders. and setup is right out of the box, and im a huge huge loser who likes vintage lacquer maple boards. the laquer finish on the body looks very different up close compared to my other sunburst strats, like a completely different texture to the gloss on the mim/mias.

i would never recommend this guitar to anybody over a mim with custom pickups unless they're a fit and finish freak with no children going to college

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

it sounds amazing but im not going to tell you it's worth the price because it's not. Does it sound better than the other strats? Yes. If I swapped this pickups into either of those, I'm guessing they would sound just as good. I can play music just as well on a mia or a mim. But the body and neck are the feel I want. So fit and finish is clearly higher quality. it's feels about 2 lb lighter than my other strats. there's no imperfections, the neck angle/alignment is exactly where I want it, it has no neck gap at all unlike my other fenders. and setup is right out of the box, and im a huge huge loser who likes vintage lacquer maple boards. the laquer finish on the body looks very different up close compared to my other sunburst strats, like a completely different texture to the gloss on the mim/mias.

Is that quartersawn maple for the neck?
My G&L has that as well and it's supposed to help with durability and weather shifts and all that
I haven't had mine long enough to really know if that's true but they are gorgeous visually if nothing else

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is that quartersawn maple for the neck?
My G&L has that as well and it's supposed to help with durability and weather shifts and all that
I haven't had mine long enough to really know if that's true but they are gorgeous visually if nothing else
rift sawn.
full specs:

hey at least it's not relic'd

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 9, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ok when they say bone nut which animal and which bone? :wink:

edit:

StewMac videos are nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im1Qw2CI8BQ

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 9, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

rift sawn.

hot drat, well there's the money right there with the price of wood these days
I've never even seen rift sawn as an aftermarket option let alone from a factory

also dig the 7.5 to 9.5 compound radius, how does that feel

also you lose me at vintage truss rod though, having to take the neck off to adjust is where I draw the line for modern conveniences

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 9, 2023

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ethanol posted:

hey at least it's not relic'd

Woah, what's wrong with relicing (especially if it's free with the paint job)

I have a near mental breakdown whenever I have something nice and it gets a scratch/scuff, so I figure with it coming pre-worn I won't be as weird about it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

edit:

StewMac videos are nice.

If someone cut stew mac videos into half hour "Joy of Painting"-eque lutherie videos that would be my constant background noise

luchadornado posted:

I have a near mental breakdown whenever I have something nice and it gets a scratch/scuff, so I figure with it coming pre-worn I won't be as weird about it.

This makes me wonder if people with relic'd gear are precious about not destroying the precision wear

but I understand that... and at the same time wanting a guitar to look new forever is like wanting a hammer to look new forever, eventually it's gotta get some abuse by its very nature

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 9, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hot drat, well there's the money right there with the price of wood these days
I've never even seen rift sawn as an aftermarket option let alone from a factory

also dig the 7.5 to 9.5 compound radius, how does that feel

also you lose me at vintage truss rod though, having to take the neck off to adjust is where I draw the line for modern conveniences
gotta be honest I didn't know the neck was a special cut I just though it looked/felt nice, was maple, had the right lacquer on it with a tint.

lol at the vintage truss rod. i've gotten a little too used to pulling fender necks apart I guess. if it wasnt a vintage truss rod could you call it a '62 NOS. I admit I haven't checked the whole maple fretboard thing out yet though. I had thought they stopped making them with maple in '62. I encourage somebody to tell me what is not period accurate to this guitar so that I can have a good laugh. I suppose the compound radius is one thing?

i do like the compound radius quite a bit. i wonder if that is what feels so good about this neck, string height seems to be at where I can't put it on my other guitars without buzzing. maybe that's owing to the changing radius. I do try to keep them all the same neck relief.

luchadornado posted:

they're not that bad just I have a hard time with the fact I would have liked a pick of some different colors that were time capsules but like 95% of the stock is relic'd. the fact this guitar actually popped up in stock nearby so I could go take a look at it and make sure it didn't have neck alignment issues was a big selling point. it showed up at my local shop about 2 weeks ago

also I'm not going to baby this thing. It's not like I drop my guitars ever but I'm also going to keep it out of its case most of the time in my house or out if i play live. it will be my daily strat. (apart from handcuffing it to me I'm not letting it get stolen though)

edit: A ton of custom shop fenders have horrible neck alignment, same with the american vintage strats. I got one that was totally off before. If you look online you'll see loads and loads of off center necks. far worse than you can hope to fix. among other problems. you have to be able to go see it. their QC gets worse the more you pay

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 9, 2023

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I too made a questionable financial decision. But an excellent musical one :hmmyes:
thays not a mark cxxvi

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

congratulations on your nice guitar ethanol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This makes me wonder if people with relic'd gear are precious about not destroying the precision wear

Thinkin about that time Chapman started selling relic’d British Standards they couldn’t fulfill the full order for and posted a video of the relicking process involving Rob Chapman dragging the guitars around on a rocky beach

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ethanol posted:

i am officially the biggest moron in the thread

it's a CS NOS '62 time capsule

Im loving dumb as hell god I am dumb

hey man if that's your poo poo then good for you. if you know what you really like and want to spend a bunch of money on it, i think that's tight

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Pollyanna posted:

No seriously how do you make it so that string doesn’t annihilate your poor fingies :(

i dipped my fingers in pickle juice when i started because i heard it gave nolan ryan good pitching calluses, no idea if it actually did anything or not though lol.

i do have gigantic powerful calluses now, though.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

^^ I swear pickle juice was a Home Movies gag but I'll be damned if I'm looking at more than a half a page of search results.

ethanol posted:

A moron with a good strat tho!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I have very little string experience still but put some Ernie Balls on my Washburn while my Revstar came with Elixirs and the Elixirs just feel better somehow. I guess it could be gauge difference (9s on Washburn vs 10s on Yam) or just in my head. The top spec Revs come with D'Addario EXL 110s so I might try those next.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 9, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Pollyanna posted:

No seriously how do you make it so that string doesn’t annihilate your poor fingies :(

Combination toughing it out, but also practice fretting as close to the frets as possible and with only enough pressure to get a clear note.

It'll protect your fingers and reduce hand and wrist fatigue.

(Also, using light gauge strings. I have Rev Willy 8's at the moment and they feel so good. I don't think I've even got noticeable calluses.)

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

edit:

StewMac videos are nice.

The current nut on my RG7321 comes from a marrow bone mac and cheese mrs burdt and I shared for a fancy Valentine’s Day dinner this year. Watched this video while making the guitar nut.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I bought a big rear end bone from a pet store once and sliced it up on a bandsaw into nut blanks.

The smell was so god awful I just suck it up and buy ready made blanks now.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ethanol posted:

it's a CS NOS '62 time capsule

Im loving dumb as hell god I am dumb

Looks great. If you're dumb as hell so am I, got a CS baritone strat sitting right here. loving awesome guitars.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

creamcorn posted:

i dipped my fingers in pickle juice when i started because i heard it gave nolan ryan good pitching calluses, no idea if it actually did anything or not though lol.

i do have gigantic powerful calluses now, though.

many years ago, when my fingertips were soft and tender, i read somewhere that dipping your fingertips in rubbing alcohol would facilitate callus formation.

i tried it, and maybe it worked. never heard about the pickle juice thing.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Thumposaurus posted:

I bought a big rear end bone from a pet store once and sliced it up on a bandsaw into nut blanks.

The smell was so god awful I just suck it up and buy ready made blanks now.

It's not just the smell. You definitely don't want to breathe any of that bone dust

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ugh I remember doing a project where I cut into some antlers. That smell haunts my nostrils. It's similar to burning hair but a little different. Never again.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Back on string chat, I'm just going to stick with Stringjoy and just lube my strings up for smoothness instead of worrying about coated strings. I put a set of Cleartone's on my Ormsby, and the .018 3rd string was dead sounding, like there was a fret wrap on it or something. I thought it might have been a set up issue but it wouldn't go away. Luckily I had a .024w rogue ernie ball laying around I stuck on there instead and it's fixed. Big rear end plain strings suck anyway.

Also I prefer my strings to be a bit slinky(about high 16, low 17lbs of tension as Stringjoy's calculator reckons it for wound strings), but I've noticed if I go a bit tighter, it's a lot easier to clean up my fast tremolo picking so that's another thing I need to worry about. I guess I could go up to 18lb strings and I'd get used to it after a while.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 9, 2023

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

adary posted:

It's not just the smell. You definitely don't want to breathe any of that bone dust

I was wearing a 3M respirator when I cut it but the smell lingered in the shed for days.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For people with non-locking setups that like to get on the tremolo bar a bit, what are your thoughts on big bends nut sauce? Does it really help?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Not a huge fan. Also you can get a similar product for cheaper by whittling the graphite of a pencil into the slot

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zkj93O-x9VA&t=1339s&pp=2AG7CpACAQ%3D%3D

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

For people with non-locking setups that like to get on the tremolo bar a bit, what are your thoughts on big bends nut sauce? Does it really help?

Like Manlove said. Good ol' #2 pencil and a properly cut nut gets the job done.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Don’t listen to them. Buy a chisel, drill, and Floyd rose. Don’t do this.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Guitar Thread: Good ol' #2 pencil and a properly cut nut

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh, that is cool. I’ve never heard about this!

https://youtu.be/5mvD8vgROJI

Do you do the same thing on the saddles?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Oh, that is cool. I’ve never heard about this!

https://youtu.be/5mvD8vgROJI

Do you do the same thing on the saddles?

You definitely can. I only will do it on guitars where I've had breakage issues previously. I pretty much always do the nut every string change.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You could also just get a graphite (or graph-tech) nut, those things aren't expensive.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Baron von Eevl posted:

You could also just get a graphite (or graph-tech) nut, those things aren't expensive.

Don’t you got to pay a person to change it though? I ain’t good with my hands.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Red_Fred posted:

Don’t you got to pay a person to change it though? I ain’t good with my hands.

They charged me $40 to replace my nut. Paying for nut installation and pro setups are almost no-brainers for me these days.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

luchadornado posted:

They charged me $40 to replace my nut. Paying for nut installation and pro setups are almost no-brainers for me these days.

I've done it twice on my own and $40 seems downright reasonable compared to how long it took me filing and checking and filing and oops too much fill that back in

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’m absolute poo poo at guitar, but I was told this guy now gets lumped in this thread now instead of bass.

Took a 30” Squier Bronco bass, routed out a pocket for a Tele bridge pickup and drilled a wire pass thru to the original pick guard area. Plugged the tuner holes and crudely slapped in some vintage off brand tuners to get the job done. Sent it to my setup guy and it just came home tonight. Middle pickup is a DiMarzio FastTrak2 hot rail. Bridge pickup is a Classic Vibe pickup. Now that I can gently caress around with it, I might put some effort into the polish factor but I couldn’t commit until I knew I hadn’t totally wasted money on this plan.

gently caress you $1500 Squier Jazzmaster baritones on Reverb. This is my Squier BarryTone Bronco.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

I've done it twice on my own and $40 seems downright reasonable compared to how long it took me filing and checking and filing and oops too much fill that back in

Graphtech sells pre-slotted nuts for like $15. I put one in an old Ibanez and it worked flawlessly, no complaints, just had to sand down the bottom a bit to get the action right. Otherwise just dropped right in.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

luchadornado posted:

Ah in that case maybe I’ll get that when I next get a setup done. Does it negate getting locking tuners as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sockington posted:

I’m absolute poo poo at guitar, but I was told this guy now gets lumped in this thread now instead of bass.

Took a 30” Squier Bronco bass, routed out a pocket for a Tele bridge pickup and drilled a wire pass thru to the original pick guard area. Plugged the tuner holes and crudely slapped in some vintage off brand tuners to get the job done. Sent it to my setup guy and it just came home tonight. Middle pickup is a DiMarzio FastTrak2 hot rail. Bridge pickup is a Classic Vibe pickup. Now that I can gently caress around with it, I might put some effort into the polish factor but I couldn’t commit until I knew I hadn’t totally wasted money on this plan.

gently caress you $1500 Squier Jazzmaster baritones on Reverb. This is my Squier BarryTone Bronco.

:stare: I must have this.