Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Need some help friends.

My (gas) hot water heater just sprung a leak so I have it off. The hot water out side is hooked up to this little box which hooks up to my (oil) furnace I use for steam based heat. The hot water that goes through the rest of the house does not go through this little box.

Full boiler

Do I need to have my furnace off now? Or can I keep my furnace on while I have my boiler off? Wondering if I’m without just hot water or heat and hot water

That box is the automatic feedwater valve that tops up your boiler as it loses water out the vents. You can continue running the boiler but it will eventually get low enough to trigger the low water shutoff sensor which will lock out your burner and stop it from dry-firing the unit.

I'd say you probably have 24-48 hours of runtime depending on a bunch of different factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Make sure your raised bed is made of something that won't leach anything into the soil you're growing food in. For example, most pressure-treated wood is not suitable for growing food. So is most paint, a lot of different wood stains, etc. If you're just growing flowers then w/e of course.

Drainage of some kind is useful, though. The best approach for a food-growing planter is probably to line it with nonpermeable food-safe plastic, but then add a few evenly-spaced drain holes, and deal with whatever comes out of those holes specifically.

Leperflesh posted:

Raised beds, man. Just plop some raised beds down anywhere, put good gardening soil in them, and grow your veggies in them. They're way nicer anyway, you don't have to get on your knees on the ground to weed or pull out carrots or whatever, you can move them around if you want, you can run irrigation to them without too much issue using just a long hose or something, you can put wire over your seedlings if you need to keep them safe from critters, and you can leave your multi-layered landscaping foundation stuff alone.

any more raised bed tips? about to install some I think.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

RisqueBarber posted:

any more raised bed tips? about to install some I think.

Corrugated steel is very popular right now. Birdies are the premium brand, but there are others online if you look.

However, modern ACQ pressure treated wood is widely considered food safe and is what I’ve used for my raised beds. https://extension.oregonstate.edu/ask-expert/featured/raised-bed-lumber-pressure-treated-safe

I’ve built several of these by now and they’re not too difficult. In the past I’ve lightly tilled the areas I’ve put the beds to remove grass, but this year I’m just going to put them in place, lay down cardboard on the inside, and level them out with cardboard shims if necessary. Then I’ll dump pieces of my Christmas tree in the bottom before filling with soil. You don’t really need to be picky about what goes in the bottom so long as it’s organic matter. The top 8” or so are where you want to use a high-quality potting mix with some compost mixed in.

Honestly, putting the beds together is the least important part. Just don’t skip preparing a very good upper layer of soil to plant in and you’ll be in good shape.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

We did cardboard, some old rotting logs, fill dirt and the several inches of high quality dirt

Ours is made of mortared brick but that was a design choice

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

skybolt_1 posted:

That box is the automatic feedwater valve that tops up your boiler as it loses water out the vents. You can continue running the boiler but it will eventually get low enough to trigger the low water shutoff sensor which will lock out your burner and stop it from dry-firing the unit.

I'd say you probably have 24-48 hours of runtime depending on a bunch of different factors.

Thanks, exactly what I needed.

Now to find a plumber who won’t just throw the cheapest piece of poo poo from Home Depot into my basement.

Edit: Speaking of which, any recs for water heaters? Currently have a 50 gal natural gas from AO Smith

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 4, 2023

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
One thing I forgot to mention is to add outwardly downsloping drainage holes to the bottoms of the walls every couple of feet to help weep away excess water into the surrounding soil. If you use masonry that’s porous you probably don’t need to do this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've used 2x12 in the past but today I'd probably use 1x5" either 1 or 2 high. Grab one or two 8' long 1x1" or you can upgrade to 2x4 if you're feeling ambitious as corner posts. 4x4 is absolute overkill unless your raised beds are like 3+ feet tall. You can get treated wood but untreated wood should last you 5+ years. Minwax sells some exterior grade oil stain for like $6 a can if you really want to get fancy, I recommend "barn red". Screw it together with some leftover deck screws, or even drywall screws (which cost half as much) will be fine

Like the other guy said the box is the least important part. The pressure on the sides of the box is almost zero so quality of materials and construction isn't super important.

The first set I made were 4x8 foot. You can make them as long as you want but I don't recommend making them wider than about 3'. Yes you can stretch 2' to the middle of the 4' wide box to do weeding but it's hard to inspect plants in the center and do weeding regularly. That last 6" is just a bridge too far even if you're 6' tall

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 4, 2023

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Thanks, exactly what I needed.

Now to find a plumber who won’t just throw the cheapest piece of poo poo from Home Depot into my basement.

Edit: Speaking of which, any recs for water heaters? Currently have a 50 gal natural gas from AO Smith

"Not tankless" is really the sum total of my recommendation. They are really only indicated for specific limited scenarios yet people love to install them then have extremely predictable complaints ("it takes too long to get hot / its so noisy / it failed after 6 years because of my water chemistry").

The best way IMO to find out what the best one is would be to call your local Franklin / Ferguson / FW Webb supply house on like a Wednesday afternoon when they aren't busy and ask the counter guys which brands / models they see the fewest warranty claims on since they will be handling those claims on behalf of the manufacturer (taking the dud units back and exchanging for new).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

I've used 2x12 in the past but today I'd probably use 1x5" either 1 or 2 high. Grab one or two 8' long 1x1" or you can upgrade to 2x4 if you're feeling ambitious as corner posts. 4x4 is absolute overkill unless your raised beds are like 3+ feet tall. You can get treated wood but untreated wood should last you 5+ years. Minwax sells some exterior grade oil stain for like $6 a can if you really want to get fancy, I recommend "barn red". Screw it together with some leftover deck screws, or even drywall screws (which cost half as much) will be fine

Like the other guy said the box is the least important part. The pressure on the sides of the box is almost zero so quality of materials and construction isn't super important.

The first set I made were 4x8 foot. You can make them as long as you want but I don't recommend making them wider than about 3'. Yes you can stretch 2' to the middle of the 4' wide box to do weeding but it's hard to inspect plants in the center and do weeding regularly. That last 6" is just a bridge too far even if you're 6' tall

I have used two-high 2x8’s for most things, wanted to make one slightly shorter for my son to reach easily and am going with a single 2x12 for that one. I’m betting I’m going to like it just as well and will do it that way in the future.

The 4x4’s at the corners are absolutely overkill, yeah, they’re what I’ve had around in useless-sized scraps most of the time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Interior paint question.

Painted the living room semigloss and want to redo it in satin/eggshell. Semigloss is way too shiny.

I’ve seen we need to sand the semigloss paint to rough it up, but a lot of sites say you need to prime it as well.

Is priming necessary if we’re using the same exact color, just an eggshell finish?

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Interior paint question.

Painted the living room semigloss and want to redo it in satin/eggshell. Semigloss is way too shiny.

I’ve seen we need to sand the semigloss paint to rough it up, but a lot of sites say you need to prime it as well.

Is priming necessary if we’re using the same exact color, just an eggshell finish?

You can probably avoid sanding by doing a pre-wash with trisodium phosphate (tsp) or a phosphate free substitute which will degloss the surface and give the new paint something to grab onto. I have done this in two houses worth of painting jobs and never had an adhesion failure. I don't think you need to worry about a primer.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
There's also liquid deglosser/ liquid sandpaper that you can wipe that wall down with to give the wall a bit of tack for the new paint to adhere to. You just have to paint within a certain time frame after you wipe the walls with it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thanks! Seems like this should work for my needs…that’s way better than sanding and priming. I’ve got tomorrow off work so I planned to paint it then anyways.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jasco-32-oz-Indoor-Outdoor-Paint-Preparation-Cleaner/50298105

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Thanks! Seems like this should work for my needs…that’s way better than sanding and priming. I’ve got tomorrow off work so I planned to paint it then anyways.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jasco-32-oz-Indoor-Outdoor-Paint-Preparation-Cleaner/50298105

Ideally you want something that will degrease as well as degloss, i.e. one of these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TSP-Deck-Cleaner/3014065
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TSP-PF-16-oz-Deck-Cleaner/3033736

Dont ask me why they are calling this "deck cleaner" but it's the stuff I've always used.

Edit: this goes 110% for kitchens and adjacent rooms because of all the airborne cooking grease particles.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

skybolt_1 posted:

Ideally you want something that will degrease as well as degloss, i.e. one of these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TSP-Deck-Cleaner/3014065
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TSP-PF-16-oz-Deck-Cleaner/3033736

Dont ask me why they are calling this "deck cleaner" but it's the stuff I've always used.

Edit: this goes 110% for kitchens and adjacent rooms because of all the airborne cooking grease particles.

Hmm, we just painted it a week ago and it was prepped well before then. Think the degreaser is really necessary?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

nwin posted:

Hmm, we just painted it a week ago and it was prepped well before then. Think the degreaser is really necessary?

Nah wouldn't be any need unless you've been spraying your walls down with Pam since you painted. Your week old paint also isn't fully cured yet which works in your favor adhesion-wise to paint over it soon.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

My bad - missed the fact it was only painted a week ago. You're good with the deglosser.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I noticed one of the bathrooms has pretty bad cracks in the grout. Am I a total trash person if I seal it with clear RTV? Basically I’ve never dealt with grout and I’m trying to figure out if now is the time I have to learn, or if there’s an easier answer.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Uhh I wouldn’t use RTV.

They make clear silicone caulk if you want to go that direction. They also make a sanded ceramic tile caulking that works fairly well for repairs like this. You might be able to find one somewhat close to that color.

This is what they sell at my local Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polyblend-380-Haystack-10-5-oz-Sanded-Ceramic-Tile-Caulk-PC38010S/100678064

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
God, digging that sanded caulk out of a seam to reseal a tub was the worst. I wore two multitool scrapers and several other blades away to nothing.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Maybe this is a question for the interior design thread, but where do you find good light fixtures?

Like, decent quality, not fugly, but decent price. Not luxury/high end stuff, but something better than the junk at LowesDepot.

I have a couple fixtures I need to swap out, both of them are 4' CFL tubes... one builder grade fixture in the kitchen, and another basic-rear end exposed tube in a closet.

The main drive here is that for some reason I cannot find a good 4' LED tube replacement. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like everything I find is like half the lumens of the CFLs I have, so I figure at this point the best move is just to swap the entire fixture out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A lighting store. Like, a dedicated one. Sometimes included as the front side of an electrical supply house.

They will have samples/examples of things and be able to order a whole lot of variations of all of it out of their catalogs.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I found some decent light fixtures at Globe Lighting here in Portland, having a show room you can go to is nice since some fixtures look great in the catalog but in reality they are cheaply made.

https://www.globelighting.com/

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

Raleigh has like a bajillion jobs, and the area is otherwise fairly desirable to live in and USED to be an average-ish COL area, so the area has gone totally ape poo poo. Wake County has been like top 10 nationally in population growth I think for the past several years. Lots of tech, lots of pharma, and lots of manufacturing outside the city... something for everyone.

We bought in 2016 when things were thought to be "holy poo poo crazy." As in, it took 2-3 days for houses to go under contract.

Now of course if a house is on the market for more than 1 day it's probably a massive poo poo-hole, and houses in our neighborhood have been going for like 50% higher than in 2016.

All my CA friends who have entertained the thought of a move across the country are all looking at either Raleigh or Nashville or have already moved to one of the two. Atlanta was almost always considered but everyone was turned off by the size and traffic, plus the COL there is also getting worse.

Everyone’s more scared of snow than chuds so the Midwest is still right out.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

All my CA friends who have entertained the thought of a move across the country are all looking at either Raleigh or Nashville or have already moved to one of the two. Atlanta was almost always considered but everyone was turned off by the size and traffic, plus the COL there is also getting worse.

Everyone’s more scared of snow than chuds so the Midwest is still right out.

Most of the midwest loving sucks. Here's the part of the conversation where we debate for pages and pages what constitutes "midwest" vs "plains" and all get a well-deserved pummeling by mods for it. :D

Obvious answer: All of it sucks regardless of designation except for maybe parts of Minnesota, and even then you have to love snow, mosquitos, and snowsquitos.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sundae posted:

Most of the midwest loving sucks. Here's the part of the conversation where we debate for pages and pages what constitutes "midwest" vs "plains" and all get a well-deserved pummeling by mods for it. :D

Obvious answer: All of it sucks regardless of designation except for maybe parts of Minnesota, and even then you have to love snow, mosquitos, and snowsquitos.

Please keep this narrative alive so no one comes here and fucks up what's great.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I fuckin love snow, I don't really notice any mosquitoes where I am, and Minnesota state law requires me to deny the existence of snowquitoes.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sundae posted:

I keep hearing Michigan is one of the country’s best kept secrets in terms of natural beauty but everyone assumes it’s just another rust belt shithole because they saw a documentary on Detroit twenty years ago.

Not sure about the Great Plains-Midwest dichotomy. My Kansan grandparents thought of themselves as midwestern.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 10, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

I keep hearing Michigan is one of the country’s best kept secrets in terms of natural beauty but everyone assumes it’s just another rust belt shithole because they saw a documentary on Detroit twenty years ago.

Michigan’s pretty but it’s also flat and gray a lot of the time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was very alarmed to find out that the east coast (east of I-95) is one giant swamp and the political phrase "drain the swamp" wasn't invented in a vacuum. I've seen some mosquitoes in the bay area but it wasn't like, apocalypse level like it is here in coastal NC

California has earthquakes and the whole lack of water thing, but also, no mosquitoes, no recognizable pollen season, no hurricanes. It also rarely freezes for more than 48 hours (as long as you don't go to the mountains)

NC is like, Feb/March/April: apocalyptic pollen season; may June July: apocalyptic mosquito and crushing humidity, August Sept Oct Nov: hurricane and tropical storm. In January the Chinese spy balloons invade

Yeah you better keep a tight lid on those snowsquitoes I just crossed MN off my list forever

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I was very alarmed to find out that the east coast (east of I-95) is one giant swamp and the political phrase "drain the swamp" wasn't invented in a vacuum. I've seen some mosquitoes in the bay area but it wasn't like, apocalypse level like it is here in coastal NC

California has earthquakes and the whole lack of water thing, but also, no mosquitoes, no recognizable pollen season, no hurricanes. It also rarely freezes for more than 48 hours (as long as you don't go to the mountains)

NC is like, Feb/March/April: apocalyptic pollen season; may June July: apocalyptic mosquito and crushing humidity, August Sept Oct Nov: hurricane and tropical storm. In January the Chinese spy balloons invade

Yeah you better keep a tight lid on those snowsquitoes I just crossed MN off my list forever

There’s your mistake.

When people say east coast, no one means the south east. Down there loving sucks.

As long as you can tolerate winters, north east is what east coast USA is all about.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Not sure about the Great Plains-Midwest dichotomy. My Kansan grandparents thought of themselves as midwestern.

My brother has lived in Michigan (East Lansing specifically) for like six years. He loving hates that state, at least on a political and "would like to not have to drive everywhere" level.

The plains-Midwest dichotomy was made clear to me by people in Kansas, of all things. I referred to it as the midwest when I lived there and MANY people corrected me and were very offended. They weren't in the midwest, they were in the plains. I lived in western KS at the time of that unforgiveable offense and the eastern KS ppl didn't say anything when I lived there, so maybe that's a west-KS thing.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

The cheap water here in Georgia is pretty nice. I’ll give it that.

What’s not so nice is, as you said, the crushing humidity that causes my house to need moss removal and power washing semi-regularly.

Pollen season is made worse by the fact the nearby military base chooses this time of year to burn thousands of acres of underbrush. It’s like I never left the Bay Area!

And the bugs. I’ve never dealt with so many wasp infestations. At least there’s plenty of anoles and corn spiders on my property to eat the other stuff.

The move was still worth it. Bay Area rent can take a long walk off a short pier.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As someone from Western Michigan, parts of the state are incredibly beautiful and there are a lot of outdoor opportunities, it's just very flat. No good skiing. No big mountains. Winter is brutal and lasts 6 months. Summer can be brutal and lasts about 3. Spring is just winter lite, fall is an incredible time in Michigan but now it only seems to last about a week or two. The mosquitos are awful and so is the humidity. The roads are always under construction. Job prospects vary significantly depending on the city. Much of the state is agricultural. Lots of farms and forests. The great lakes are incredibly beautiful.

I enjoyed growing up there but I'm glad I moved out but I still enjoy visiting. So I said gently caress it, what is money anyway, and moved to Seattle.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The UP is surprisingly fantastic if you want to go stargazing

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Plumber thinks I should get a new toilet due to something stuck in the one I have. Have literally never bought a toilet - any recommendations on what to get?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Medullah posted:

Plumber thinks I should get a new toilet due to something stuck in the one I have. Have literally never bought a toilet - any recommendations on what to get?

I bought a Toto and it's the best toilet I've ever used.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Hadlock posted:

California has ... no recognizable pollen season

... except for in the SF Bay Area where in the spring literally everything gets caked with half an inch of yellow dust.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SpartanIvy posted:

I bought a Toto and it's the best toilet I've ever used.

Which model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Medullah posted:

I believe there was a recent southpark that addressed this issue directly