Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DanielCross posted:

Something I thought was neat, if you tap Reload with a full clip, Leon will slot an extra one in the chamber, and your ammo loadout will read with the full clip number +1. Don't know how important that will be in the long run to have one extra shot per reload (if you take the time to do it, as it seems to take about as long as a regular reload for the extra bullet, so not something you want to do mid-combat), but it's probably a nice technique to have in the back pocket.

Leon's been playing a lot of MGSV apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was hoping for a bit more game after the village fight but I guess this was just a “sizzle” demo for PR events released for the rest of us. Wasn’t really that good of an opportunity to play around with the combat with how big of a swarm it is too. Barely had time to stun someone with a headshot and then run by most of the time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm impressed how the remake maintains the weight and pace of the old gunplay without rooting you to the spot like the original did

i am less impressed with what it did to That Dog

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that was awesome, they managed to make that first battle feel just as tense and exciting as it did back on the Gamecube.
i accidentally barged into the wrong house trying to find the shotgun and two ganados were sitting around the table inside and they immediately jumped up from their seats and came at me lol. so good.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Demo loving ruled.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

okay so if you start a new game in the demo a few times (might be random) the game gives you an option to try out a harder difficulty called "Mad Chainsaw Mode"
gonna give it a whirl

EDIT: i died to the very first encounter in the house lmao

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 10, 2023

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Really dig they kept RE2make's option for manual reloads only. It only makes the game harder but love the extra presence of mind it makes you have when people are bearing down on you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Demo is good. Im a biiiit iffy on some things but I feel like once I can sit down and play the whole game and then new game plus and then on professional I might have enough time to really explain my feelings.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oxxidation posted:

i'm impressed how the remake maintains the weight and pace of the old gunplay without rooting you to the spot like the original did

i am less impressed with what it did to That Dog

yea... :(

perhaps it was only a dog...

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Where does the demo begin? Right at the beginning with the two police and do we get to go in the first ganado house?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Where does the demo begin? Right at the beginning with the two police and do we get to go in the first ganado house?

Yeah, it starts with the pensive Leon intro narration and subsequent home invasion, they're updated but it generally follows the same beats.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kosmo Gallion posted:

It starts right as the game becomes playable with a truncated intro sequence (so you don’t get to meet the cops in the car), and ends when the bell goes off in the village.

Speaking of, I really really like how the bell makes the ganados just stop dead in their tracks even with Leon right next to them in the middle of the fight. Way, way more un-nerving than the hard cut to cutscene of the original.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Wanted to try and go in blind but I couldn’t help myself

That fuckin owned. Love how aggressive the enemies are. Keeps you on your toes, even if you are a series vet

Going to be playing this with my old friend who I played through 4 with back in the day. Can’t wait

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

For some weird reason my brain wanted to hit L1 to run after stunning an enemy and I couldn't shake it. It doesn't make a lot of sense because on PS4 and on the GameCube Original it's a face button to run. Maybe it's muscle memory from playing Hitman recently because it's third person. I dunno.

Game is fun. I died a bunch of times.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so I guess it's how many people in the village you kill. I got Chainsaw 1 to spawn (and boy was that fun since he was right behind me when it happened :shepface:) and then after running and kicking a few more peeps as I was trying to get the shotty, the bell rang and the demo was over

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I got the first one to spawn but the second one didn't spawn when I grabbed the shotgun so I think you need to kill the first one before the second will spawn? I think it was like that in the original too, I don't remember.

Some neat little things they've done with the environment

If you try and climb up the bell tower and camp like you could in the original, the floor collapses

In certain chokepoints Dr Salvador will destroy parts of the environment and block your escape. He can absolutely tear the map up beyond just cutting doors open

If a Ganado is close enough to you and Salvador, they'll grab you and hold you in place and Salvador immediately starts charging

Those are just a few of the new, neat things I noticed. The only issue I had was the very first Ganado who apparently doesn't go down to leg shots at all, so I kept getting grabbed over and over trying to perform them.

The knife combat is so much fun and I was having a blast just suckering in enemies, dodging around them then knifing them in the back, I kept doing this until my knife broke. It stays in your inventory so you can probably repair it in the full game and I'm sure at some point you can unlock an upgraded/unbreakable knife so knife-only runs are going to be a lot more fun in this than they were in the original

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Tampa Bae posted:

I got the first one to spawn but the second one didn't spawn when I grabbed the shotgun so I think you need to kill the first one before the second will spawn? I think it was like that in the original too, I don't remember

No, they'll both spawn. Stick around outside near the gates (either one) and one of them will saw in. Then rush to the house with the Shotgun and the second one will spawn.

Demo was "alright," but I'm not a fan of the gameplay changes. It feels worse than the original when it comes to combat for me. I don't know if it's input lag, the engine, animations or what but it doesn't feel as snappy or responsive for me and the enemies charging you, even with the ability to strafe, had me missing shots more often than I was hitting in those "panic" situations.

Jolo posted:

For some weird reason my brain wanted to hit L1 to run after stunning an enemy and I couldn't shake it. It doesn't make a lot of sense because on PS4 and on the GameCube Original it's a face button to run. Maybe it's muscle memory from playing Hitman recently because it's third person. I dunno.

Game is fun. I died a bunch of times.

Default is R1 to run IIRC, like Bio7, 8, and the two REbirths on the same engine.

Using "C-1" changes it to the original Biohazard 4 controls (within reason, if on PC you're obviously going to be using a 360 controller so not exact as the Gamecube). Where "A" will run. You can then turn off "toggle" run to where holding A is like the originals sprint/run ability.

AnonymouseNo5 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 10, 2023

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I also like that the flavor text for the Knife says it's the one Marvin gave him, as if that knife didn't snap in two an hour later or get forgotten in a sewer zombie's skull.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

No, they'll both spawn. Stick around outside near the gates (either one) and one of them will saw in. Then rush to the house with the Shotgun and the second one will spawn.

Demo was "alright," but I'm not a fan of the gameplay changes. It feels worse than the original when it comes to combat for me. I don't know if it's input lag, the engine, animations or what but it doesn't feel as snappy or responsive for me and the enemies charging you, even with the ability to strafe, had me missing shots more often than I was hitting in those "panic" situations.
I must not have fully triggered the extra one then and just had the normal one come out based on time

Controls felt great to me but I'd probably put over 100+ hours into 2 and 3 remakes and 100%ing them, even doing stupid stuff like no hit runs so I'm probably not going to be your average player.

They felt smooth and pretty similar to the good parts of 2/3 remake but when my friend (who helped me a bit in remake 2 and played a couple runs on 3) started playing the demo he died 4 times on the first ganado and 3 more times when he got into the village so it's gonna vary from person to person. personally after so much time in the remakes and the original 4 the whole demo felt like muscle memory and I didn't struggle at all

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Hello, I am babby that is too full of diapers to play spooky games, but RE4 always seemed more fun and actiony than spooky, so I'm giving it a shot. Tried the remake demo and that was pretty cool! Got my rear end handed to me a lot, though, I'll probably run it a few times before the game comes out, but first I am playing RE4 for the first time! Old controls are taking a lot to get used to lol. Friend told me after my first session (basically did that pueblo and made my way to the farm afterwards) that Leon will snap to the direction i'm aiming at if i turn then aim, so i'll take that into account.

Any tips for someone who's too used to walking a direction and turning the camera the opposite way to make sure I didn't leave anything behind is appreciated.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

MorningMoon posted:

Any tips for someone who's too used to walking a direction and turning the camera the opposite way to make sure I didn't leave anything behind is appreciated.

Get used to the tank controls and then play the original Biohazard 1-3.

Beyond that, you'll get used to the aiming and movement after an hour or two. Aim for the knee or head and then QTE enemies for an easier go of it.

Tampa Bae posted:

I must not have fully triggered the extra one then and just had the normal one come out based on time

Controls felt great to me but I'd probably put over 100+ hours into 2 and 3 remakes and 100%ing them, even doing stupid stuff like no hit runs so I'm probably not going to be your average player.

They felt smooth and pretty similar to the good parts of 2/3 remake but when my friend (who helped me a bit in remake 2 and played a couple runs on 3) started playing the demo he died 4 times on the first ganado and 3 more times when he got into the village so it's gonna vary from person to person. personally after so much time in the remakes and the original 4 the whole demo felt like muscle memory and I didn't struggle at all

I haven't played REbirth 2-3 in like 2-3 years, so I forget the aiming. But I feel like the aiming situation there was better than it is here. Something is off with this demo in comparison to the other BioEngine titles. Because I'm not feeling confident in my aiming with a controller here as I was in those. Even first person Bio7 was fine.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The engine is called REach for the Moon Engine

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The engine is called REach for the Moon Engine

No, RE stands for REd bolt cutters.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

drat, I was not prepared for how dangerous the second wind generic villagers can get with just a touch of Plagas but neither was I ready for how extremely powerful the knife was. I feel like you can very easily kill two guys with a knife with no hassle, even without doing the classic headshot stagger melee stabbing.

A little disappointed at the increase in cutscenes, but those cutscenes are pretty good. The new intro is 10/10.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
They probably looked at RE2make and thought about how can we fit Re4 in it. It's cool but the action way more floaty than the og

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The demo crashed twice for me at the same spot, (opening the very first door) probably due to me turning the settings up to high on PC, as everything was smooth once I selected the Recommended preset.

I took a lot of damage trying to time a knife swing to parry attacks, before discovering you just have to hold Space bar for Leon to parry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mercenaries mode is gonna own in this

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The demo was amazing. You can tell Capcom knows fans have played the original hundreds of hours because they kept the knee and headshot melee moves exactly like they were in the original. Its such an integral part of the experience.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Yeah, I'm back on the hype train. Choo loving choo, fuckers.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Agree that the gunplay feels worse in this version. The huge deadzone in the right stick made aiming very hard. Not a fan of how turning off acceleration made the aiming slow as poo poo either. It usually means to remove the "wind up" time, and go to full speed of wherever you have the stick at the given time. Also, the hit reaction animations seemed very similar to those in Village. Where characters don't animate that much when hit, unlike the reactive enemies in OG RE4. Likewise the weapon sound was less than impressive compared to the original.

Loving the changes in tone and atmosphere. They seem to be striking a bit more serious and believable vibe this time, which I quite like. And seems like there'll be more stuff to find unlock compared to the pretty straight-forward original game.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The way the villagers close the gap and crowd you make me wish you could hipfire

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The way the villagers close the gap and crowd you make me wish you could hipfire

You know what game has that? RE6 and it rules

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

uncle blog posted:

Agree that the gunplay feels worse in this version. The huge deadzone in the right stick made aiming very hard. Not a fan of how turning off acceleration made the aiming slow as poo poo either. It usually means to remove the "wind up" time, and go to full speed of wherever you have the stick at the given time. Also, the hit reaction animations seemed very similar to those in Village. Where characters don't animate that much when hit, unlike the reactive enemies in OG RE4. Likewise the weapon sound was less than impressive compared to the original.

Loving the changes in tone and atmosphere. They seem to be striking a bit more serious and believable vibe this time, which I quite like. And seems like there'll be more stuff to find unlock compared to the pretty straight-forward original game.

I was thinking about playing on the couch but the old rule of guns=kb&m is probably going to remain in effect

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

holy poo poo, this is unreasonably good, I'm amazed at how the AI actively works against you in so many ways, I did not expect to get swarmed when cutting through shortcuts or around certain buildings

A part of me regrets playing this because this makes the wait even more unbearable lol

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Playing the demo actually lowered my expectations for the final game. I was hoping they would tighten up the controls a lot compared to the RE2 and RE3 remakes, but movement still feels incredibly cumbersome and aiming is floaty and awkward. That worked for those games, but if they are going to keep the encounter design so close to the way it was in the original RE4 I really don't want the game to control like this. :sigh:

The new parry mechanics are cool, at least.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It wasn't much of a demo really, so can't really judge the reactivity or level design. It looks nice though. Lots of technical options. But...

JordanKai posted:

Playing the demo actually lowered my expectations for the final game. I was hoping they would tighten up the controls a lot compared to the RE2 and RE3 remakes, but movement still feels incredibly cumbersome and aiming is floaty and awkward. That worked for those games, but if they are going to keep the encounter design so close to the way it was in the original RE4 I really don't want the game to control like this. :sigh:

The new parry mechanics are cool, at least.

Movement is sluggish and aiming is cumbersome. Ended up swinging the knife in the direction of the camera a couple of times instead of forward somehow. The FOV is terrible, but what else is new. I end up glazing over most of what I'm supposed to be looking at just to move around. Most of this stuff will probably get fixed by the community in the first week, but it'd be nice if it weren't necessary to do so.

Well, sorry about the light party pooping.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You do know there's an FoV slider in the options menu even for the console versions of the demo right? Same with acceleration and sensitivity.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

uncle blog posted:

The first guy you fight doesn't react much on hit for obvious reasons, but the normal villagers react basically the same way to headshots.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You do know there's an FoV slider in the options menu even for the console versions of the demo right? Same with acceleration and sensitivity.

Yeah, I used them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah it should be noted that there is now a 'lesser' version of Plagas popping. When an enemy gets up and their neck is broken they are just the Plagas puppeting a corpse. They won't respond to hits the same way.

Knife kills also stop this from happening and if you see one writhing in the ground you can use the knife to stop it before it 'pops'