Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If I was rich I'd have a bigass office with seasons 3-8 playing on repeat on a TV probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One of my favorite-ever lines, from a phrasing and delivery standpoint, is from Smithers of all people. When Rodney Dangerfield is trying to get in to see Mr. Burns, and he's like, "I hate to break it to you, Larry, but if Mr. Burns ever wants to see a stranger he will observe him through a powerful telescope."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Party Boat posted:

The family therapy episode (which I think was the first one that aired on BBC in the UK) devolving into the whole family giving each other retaliatory electric shocks was hilarious and I'm chuckling again just thinking about it.

I love the punchline that successfully getting the refund brings the family together at last.

That early Simpsons is seen as so maudlin I think is maybe part of why the edge really hit at the time- woulda been hard to accuse the show of being provocative just for the sake of it and lacking substance (not that many didn't try, I'm sure) when there's a solid and clear emotional core and issues that still have impact today along with all the jokes.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 6, 2023

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/unwinderh/status/1632773151435239429?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol Alf Clausen's son has a sock puppet account to complain about getting fired for doing his dad's work for him

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What the gently caress lol

That is just dire

When I was in line for the Simpsons ride at Universal recently you get to watch a ton of "best of" compilation things on the suspended TVs, and there's a whole bunch of old-school Itchy & Scratchys. They are just helplessly, insanely funny, like there is an ingenious physical gag every 0.75 seconds that makes you want to laugh so hard you puke.

That cake thing? Just ... what is even funny about it. OK he is making him into a cake, lol I guess. And yes the music is terrible

And then let's belabor Lisa laughing at it for the next three minutes

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
And lol that every stirring of the corpse gets its own twitter celebration that just makes it seem all the more desperate. Every time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
That was just wrong, and the animation is terrible too

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Data Graham posted:

And then let's belabor Lisa laughing at it for the next three minutes

That was an uncomfortably long hold on them laughing. It made me nervous

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

LMAO that Itchy and Scratchy music blows rear end. drat.

And Dan Castellaneta isn’t even trying anymore. I know I wouldn’t after voicing the same character for over thirty years.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
there's no way that wasn't some generic stock or free-to-use "cartoon music".

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wowee, that SFX integration reminds me of my student project days.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

the first time homer says 'dealie' the episode is good
every other time homer says 'dealie' the episode is bad
good night

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So I was just wondering, is Homer getting raped by a panda or Homer getting raped by Marge worse? If you need a tiebreaker, the latter was a pretty direct ripoff of a Family Guy plot.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Itchy cracking open the eye and separating it into the white and pupil got a laugh out of me. Everything else about the entire clip made me various shades of disappointed.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bart and Lisa seem off in that clip. Either the acting or the animation. Maybe both. But with the way they were, I was expecting it to end in one of them being like, "I think I've grown out of this show" or something. It just doesn't feel like believable laughter at all, and it's really distracting.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The episode premise is Homer and Marge fantasizing about life without Bart but in the middle of the fantasy they hit a version of Bart that is an orphan and they realize that he brings out the best in all of them. That clip is the first time Lisa has ever laughed in the fantasyverse. It was a bad episode I don’t know why I watched it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You Are A Elf posted:

And Dan Castellaneta isn’t even trying anymore. I know I wouldn’t after voicing the same character for over thirty years.

Yeah, he lasted longer than some others but very few actors could keep it going for three decades. It was weird hearing him as Krusty on Mark Maron, as he sounded uh oh tired and not haha tired.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hrist posted:

Bart and Lisa seem off in that clip. Either the acting or the animation. Maybe both. But with the way they were, I was expecting it to end in one of them being like, "I think I've grown out of this show" or something. It just doesn't feel like believable laughter at all, and it's really distracting.

It sounds like Nancy and Yeardly are pronouncing each "ha" individually. Or like Bart and Lisa's mouth movements were animated too slow and they had to try and match the visuals rather than have the animation fixed.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I tried to go in to VA at one point in my life and one thing I really struggled with was fake laughter that sounded genuine. I know forced laughter when I hear it. I could feel those laughs

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1633864452318838784?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

this was horrifyingly difficult

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
gently caress, I fold.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

TengenNewsEditor posted:

the first time homer says 'dealie' the episode is good
every other time homer says 'dealie' the episode is bad
good night

There are a lot of these and it's depressing to think about (ok not depressing, I'm over it, but you know what I mean).

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Tree Goat posted:

this was horrifyingly difficult

Yeah I thought I could do it, and I've watched the episodes with those endings and don't think they're all bad, but I can't connect any of them except the slap of Zorro one. The Tomacco one's a good episode.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Homer watches a zorro type movie leads to glove slap. Then he has to hide out on his old farm. It's the tomacco episode. Tobacco addicted cow.

New Mall is the Richard Branson episode. Burns is jealous and goes to find the Loch Ness Monster to become as loved as richard branson. Nessy as the greeter.

The elves one started was when they went to a fair and won or rescued a horse. gently caress I don't know how they get to the fair.

Gary Coleman is the funzo episode. Bart needs a new rear end after falling out of bed in drag. The school goes broke building a ramp because they got ripped off by the mob and a toy company takes it over (the school not the mob).

The skiing episode is the one where lisa tricks homer and bart into thinking they have leprosy so it's the leper colony one.

The Manjula and Apu episode is the octuplets one. I have no idea how that ends. I think the mongoose one because Homer has to do some kind of show to get the octuplets out of their contract.

I'm pretty sure Homer needs new tires is the super bowl episode. Get gets ripped off and meets another guy that gets ripped off. Somehow that ends with all the Simpsons men going to superbowl. Vincent Price shows up the end.

That's all. No idea about the last two.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
He didn't need new tires, he wanted a balance :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Zorro movie is at least a very spot-on parody of a specific then-current era of Hollywood tentpoles.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Yeah, the Zorro rap during the movie credits was actually a decent gag.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sentient Data posted:

He didn't need new tires, he wanted a balance :colbert:

Also it opens with a field trip to the post office, which gives us the 75% of the good jokes of said episode

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The talent show one is the one where Edna does the balloons and cigarette strip tease. Which is the canyonero episode.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vincent Price's Egg Magic

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

that one was slightly tougher than i expected. got most but not all of them. "bart falls out of bed" was a dumb description. he didn't just fall out of bed, he injured his butt which is why they needed to build the ramp in the school in the first place :argh:

what's the homer goes to a reunion one?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The Manjula and Apu episode is the octuplets one. I have no idea how that ends. I think the mongoose one because Homer has to do some kind of show to get the octuplets out of their contract.

homer and the guy who played eddie munster were forced to perform on unicycles trying to avoid poisonous snakes (with Danger Zone playing in the background)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's got to be the severed leg one. I remember the scene with the leg but absolutely nothing leading up to it. A college reunion would be an episode with the nerds he meets at college. Which I think I remember, sort of. Maybe the Mr X episode or whichever one has Bill Gates and his goons "buy him out".

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
In all honesty, in regards to the thread's question, I think it's the episode with Elon Musk. Mainly because of how Lisa touts him as being an amazing genius.

At least Lady Gaga can actually sing and they didn't tout Bill Cosby's humor as amazing life lessons when he popped in.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the bill gates one is when the springfield elementary kids get trapped on the island i think

the mr x episode starts off with homer buying a new computer (which is pretty straitforward i guess)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Mister X the one where Homer ends up in The Prisoner and everyone keeps getting gassed?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Classic simpsons had a way of turning even mediocre bits into gold with just line readings and animation. One of my favourite line reads is krusty's "HE'S SPINNING THE BALL ON HIS FINGER!" With the simple animation in the television. The bit itself is very weak but just a little bit of juice elevates it. I also love how homer pronounces magic johnson but that is unrelated

Edit: i also love when the smarmy businessman is like "it doesn't DO anything! That's the beauty of it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mr Interweb posted:

the bill gates one is when the springfield elementary kids get trapped on the island i think

the mr x episode starts off with homer buying a new computer (which is pretty straitforward i guess)

I caved and looked it up. It's one of the worst episodes ever, at least that I've seen.

The one where Homer gets a bucket stuck on his head. Bart pulls it off and becomes a faith healer.