Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hollismason posted:

Well I think Picard has so far managed not to poo poo the bed.

Quite an achievement at his age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zoux posted:

He hit a mid level of dingers, I'm afraid

Before the rise of advanced stats in the early 00s, batting average was considered one of they key stats, now it's kind of like, eh. So these stats reflect what would be an All Star (but not HoF, imo) career based on early 90s conception of baseball. If they put BBs on there I could do a full breakdown but without knowing his OBP I can't calcuate wRC+ or even WAR

.390!

Second coming of Tony Gwynn I guess.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

zoux posted:

Before the rise of advanced stats in the early 00s, batting average was considered one of they key stats, now it's kind of like, eh. So these stats reflect what would be an All Star (but not HoF, imo) career based on early 90s conception of baseball. If they put BBs on there I could do a full breakdown but without knowing his OBP I can't calcuate wRC+ or even WAR

Gotham city Bats.

Lots of batmen on that team

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What year was the global thermonuclear war that killed millions?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Well I think Picard has so far managed not to poo poo the bed.

Four consecutive non-terrible episodes in a row. It's a loving miracle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Enough of your lies, Garak

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Enough of your lies, Garak

That's the thing, doctor, they're all true. Especially the lies.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

that they found a tier below 'terrible'.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

That makes sense, Baseball is very stupid and boring.

In the 24th century we have evolved beyond the need for dumb poo poo like baseball and golf. We have a more evolved sensibility

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nine-gear crow posted:

i wouldn't go that far. i really don't think those should have even been four episodes, maybe two at most

but really the fourth one is probably the best out of the lot. there's a lot of problems with the others that we've gone over ad nauseam in the other thread, this most recent one just was better about it (but not much). you could cut probably 80% of the content from the previous three and add it to the fourth to get a much more engaging story without losing much of anything at all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tighclops posted:

In the 24th century we have evolved beyond the need for dumb poo poo like baseball and golf. We have a more evolved sensibility

Yeah parcheesi squares and anbo jitsu

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

zoux posted:

Yeah parcheesi squares and anbo jitsu

I unironically miss the late-80's throw poo poo at the wall era of freewheeling science fiction writing.

Here's an episode where a dude fights his dad in futuristic hockey gear!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Ultimate Evolution of Martial Arts is putting on dirt bike armor and hitting your dad with a gigantic Q-Tip

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sash! posted:

The Ultimate Evolution of Martial Arts is putting on dirt bike armor and hitting your dad with a gigantic Q-Tip

Its like a space version of that American Gladiators event.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Looking back at Season 2, in its last leg it was about the quality level of TNG's Season 3 or 4. "The Jem'Hadar" was comparable to "The Best of Both Worlds" and DS9's Season 3 premiere "The Search Part 1" carries on that intensity. It picks up that tension and like the beginning of Season 2, this has turned out to be a three parter. That Bajoran conflict wasn't as dire as the situation with the Dominion.

I might not end up liking DS9 more than TNG but I assuming my assessment will be better than TNG.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

zoux posted:

Are we sure he played in London, England? Maybe that team was in London, Ontario.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Sash! posted:

.390!

Second coming of Tony Gwynn I guess.

Who the gently caress hits .368 over all but one game of a season and ends up with only 75 RBIs? Seibu must have sucked rear end up and down the lineup.

Like, 1/3 of Buck Bokai's RBIs were him batting himself home via HR. :wtc:

Bunch of bush league scrubs on this fictious future baseball team.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Night, Bird!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This isn't really the thread for it, but since I brought it up earlier: I watched the first episode of Babylon 5. I see why people think that this show copied DS9 (or vice versa); there's even a Promenade and a Quark's. I guess G'kar is a Dukat analogue of sorts?

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 quality CGI and some pretty '90s haircuts, but an intriguing show. I think I'll like it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This isn't really the thread for it, but since I brought it up earlier: I watched the first episode of Babylon 5. I see why people think that this show copied DS9 (or vice versa); there's even a Promenade and a Quark's. I guess G'kar is a Dukat analogue of sorts?

If you want to post your thoughts, there's a blind watch thread here

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 quality CGI and some pretty '90s haircuts, but an intriguing show. I think I'll like it.

Keep in mind the 1st season is the roughest season for B5. But it lays a bunch of ground work for future seasons. Keep at it and it'll pay off.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think Babylon 5's CGI mostly holds up because they went to a lot of effort to direct and choreograph the space scenes back in the day and they typically put a lot of effort into their ship designs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This isn't really the thread for it, but since I brought it up earlier: I watched the first episode of Babylon 5.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you want to post your thoughts, there's a blind watch thread here

This. If you're going to continue watching, the B5 blind watch thread will be overjoyed to have your impressions of it, whether that means detailed reviews of each episode or just vague thoughts now and then.

Starting about a year and a half ago, I did my own blind watch reviews and I'm very glad I did. Yes, on paper, the show seems like dollar-store DS9 but I assure you, it immediately goes its own way and it soon gets really really good.

e: The settings also have a slight difference of scale.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 10, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Dark Star's sign in B5 is a butt hole and that will always be worth a laugh.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TOS spent two/two and a half years building this (mostly well earned) reputation for bring a progressive show.....only to utterly ruin it in season three with patronizing, sexist stereotypes and opinions about hippies that probably sounded like it came straight from the late 1960s establishment. It's jarring how conservative a lot of third season stuff ends up after being pretty progressive - for its time - up to that point.

Ninja e: Credit where it's due, though - Spock understanding the Way To Eden hippies better than most of the rest of the crew kinda makes a weird bit of sense to me.

This makes me think if Tarantino had written a Star Trek movie, it probably would have been a riff on this...and based on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Cinema Speculation, it would have been 2 two hours of slamming hippies.

Quentin Tarantino REALLY hates hippies.

Also for your amusement and eludification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PK-2FOyvyU&ab_channel=LAZARUSART

I don't normally go in for steampunk, and I'm not sure why the AI made everyone old, but dammed if some of those aren't cool, especially the alien designs.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 10, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Keep at it. The payoff is immense. Babylon 5 is one of a very few handfull of series that sticks the landing

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie

McCloud posted:

Keep at it. The payoff is immense. Babylon 5 is one of a very few handfull of series that sticks the landing

Is it worth chasing down the tv movies they made afterwards as well?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Toilet Terror posted:

The one which covers the Minbari-Earth war is OK but the rest isn't very good, that goes also for the Crusade-show that got cancelled after 1 season.

The one where president Bartlet from West Wing is a soul harvester is funny, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Toilet Terror posted:

In The Beginning is the most important but you also probably shouldn’t watch that until at least after Season 4, which is when it originally aired.

Thirdspace and River of Souls are both standalone outside of vague references here and there. They’re both… okay. Fine. Good low budget fun if you want to see things happen with Babylon 5 characters.

Call to Arms was essentially the pilot for Crusade and again it’s okay for a TV movie. Tony Todd is in it. If you’re going to try to watch Crusade you should start with Call to Arms but all it really does is set up more stuff without concluding much of anything from B5-proper.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Legend of the Rangers LMAO

Oh man that felt like a waste of a torrent

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
What the hell was up with Crusade's music. It sounds like somebody gave Bear McCreary brain damage and replaced his instruments with a midi drum set from the mid-90s

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
The Borg in the Star Trek EU novels were good- they eventually said "Okay we're loving done with this entire quadrant" and invaded the Federation and everyone nearby with 11000+ Cubes.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Tighclops posted:

What the hell was up with Crusade's music. It sounds like somebody gave Bear McCreary brain damage and replaced his instruments with a midi drum set from the mid-90s

Temporarily I thought you meant that sci fi with Kevin Sorbo as the captain.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Prurient Squid posted:

Temporarily I thought you meant that sci fi with Kevin Sorbo as the captain.

Andromeda. Which wasn't great but had some interesting characters.

The captain was not one of them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

Andromeda. Which wasn't great but had some interesting characters.

The captain was not one of them.

Especially after Sorbo took control of the show

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watching the TOS episode where Scotty can't stop killing women, and I know it's childish but holy lol I was not prepared for the bald investigator's high pitched voice

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

He's the voice of Piglet, iirc.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Okay, this part where they speculate an incorporeal murder cloud into existence to bail out Scotty is completely goddamn insane.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
He's also in 12 Angry Men. Hearing Piglet talk about capital punishment is :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Especially after Sorbo took control of the show

I remember as a teenager when Andromeda's first season was airing I was at the boarding gate of a YVR-LAX flight and the people in the seats directly in front of me were clearly writers on the show, one of them might have even been Robert Hewitt Wolfe himself for all I know, because I could overhear their conversation and they were talking about the stuff they were thinking of doing for the following seasons like exploring the Commonwealth and other topics. And I just remembered sitting there being so enamored with their ideas and how cool they sounded and how I couldn't wait to see them on screen one day and how exited they all were to be talking about it.

I didn't interrupt them because I didn't want to be rude and weird, but I just remember that day and feel sad about it in retrospect because basically nothing they talked about came to pass primarily because of Sorbo :smith: