Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

oh poo poo... the judgment has been rendered
Rights Watchdog Says Global Freedom Declined For 17th Year

www.rferl.org posted:

Global freedoms declined for a 17th consecutive year in 2022 as the struggle for democracy approaches a turning point amid a curtailment of freedom of expression in countries such as Russia and Iran.

Human rights watchdog Freedom House said in its annual report on freedoms around the world, released on March 9, that the number of countries to score zero for freedom of expression rose on the year to 33 from 14, with media freedom coming under pressure in at least 157 countries and territories during 2022.

The report showed the Nordic countries of Sweden, Norway, and Finland were the most free in the world with scores of 100, while Tibet Syria, and South Sudan were the worst, scoring only 1 point. Turkmenistan placed next to last with a score of 2.

"The most serious setbacks for freedom and democracy were the result of war, coups, and attacks on democratic institutions by illiberal incumbents," it said.

The report singled out Russian President Vladimir Putin's "authoritarian regime" for launching a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 "in a bid to scuttle that country’s hard-won democratic progress."

"Whatever false justifications for this war of aggression have been promulgated by the Kremlin’s state-controlled media, its clear purpose is to remove the elected leadership in Kyiv and deprive Ukrainians of their fundamental right to free self-government," the report, which ranks Russia as "not free," said.

"In his desire to destroy democracy in Ukraine and deny Ukrainians their political rights and civil liberties, Putin has caused the deaths and injuries of thousands of Ukrainian civilians as well as soldiers on both sides, the destruction of crucial infrastructure, the displacement of millions of people from their homes, a proliferation of torture and sexual violence, and the intensification of already harsh repression within Russia," it added.

The decline in freedoms in Russia appeared to influence its neighbors as well, the report showed, noting that three decades after the fall of the Soviet Union, "authoritarianism dominates Eurasia."

The report showed that no formerly Soviet countries were designated as "free," aside from the three Baltic states -- Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia, all of which are European Union and NATO members.

"This lack of democratic governance has destabilized the region, as strongman rulers use military force to lash out at their neighbors and smother domestic dissent," the report said.

In addition to Turkmenistan lingering at the bottom of the table, Tajikistan had a score of 7, followed by Belarus and Afghanistan (8) and Azerbaijan (9). Uzbekistan and Iran had scores of 12, while Russia scored 16 points.

"The limited space for free media in Eurasia has diminished further due to new criminal laws and legislative restrictions," the report said.

Still, it lauded the countries of the Caucasus and Central Asia for "declining to recognize Russia's annexation of Ukrainian territory" and for complying with international sanctions imposed against Russian banks.

The same, however, could not be said for Belarus, Freedom House noted.

Belarus, which authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka has closely aligned with Russia during the war against Ukraine, was tied for eighth worst in terms of freedoms, sharing the spot with Afghanistan, which saw Taliban militants seize power in 2021 after international forces withdrew from the country.

On the other end of the report, Kosovo was praised for being one of the most improved countries in terms of freedom, being given the designation as "partly free."
. . .
what is "that country’s hard-won democratic progress?"

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 03:20 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Friday and Monday will suck the world into economic collapse, and then the true war will begin! Putin soon we will meet in battle!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

can you even imagine this war going on for another 2 years

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Russia has been cut off from the internet?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

the derpy uk fish makin me laugh

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CODChimera posted:

Yeah actually

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

oh yeah i meant more like imagine the state of ukraine and russia in 2 years

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Can you imagine how hard the us mic is cumming hearing two more years

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

Another decade if all goes well.

One fun side effect people haven't focused on:

Ukraine unstable disrupts China's belt & road project to eastern Europe. Means they are reliant on western shipping instead of eastern rail for trade.

Who profits if that gets held up?

Ah. Haha. I'm sure it's all just a cosmic coincidence. Chortles heartily.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

CODChimera posted:

oh yeah i meant more like imagine the state of ukraine and russia in 2 years

yeah, that is a lot more misery for a lot of normal working class people to endure for nothing

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zodium posted:

the former minister is claus hjort frederiksen, charge is revealing state secrets. afaik the case is held in secret so we won't know anything other than guilty/not guilty eventually.

my son's name is also hjort

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

speng31b posted:

if anyone wants a grosse biden on their rap sheet lmk

Gimme!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

Wait until they see Gaza.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wow, president arfjason

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

Mr Chairman, my country yearns for freedom!! We are suffering under the fascist oppression of Canberra, please send Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter to liberate us!!

China number one!

(Social credit score +5 points)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I'm waiting for Al-Saqr's final say

the planets havent aligned yet, check back in a month

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The only way there can be a final day is if nuclear warfare takes out the internet

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Can we have social credit score instead of financial credit score? That seems way easier to build up.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

shaking al saqrs head round like a bobblehead to find out the lottery numbers so I can blow up the other nordstream

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I wonder what a negotiated settlement between Ukraine and Russia will look like.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

I wonder what a negotiated settlement between Ukraine and Russia will look like.

maybe there just wont be a settlement and the frontline will just stop moving noticably, and theyll just sign a ceasefire and thats what the border is (but neither side recognizes the others claims or amything)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

OctaMurk posted:

maybe there just wont be a settlement and the frontline will just stop moving noticably, and theyll just sign a ceasefire and thats what the border is (but neither side recognizes the others claims or amything)

The most pissweak way to end a war imo

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

DancingShade posted:

Another decade if all goes well.

One fun side effect people haven't focused on:

Ukraine unstable disrupts China's belt & road project to eastern Europe. Means they are reliant on western shipping instead of eastern rail for trade.

Who profits if that gets held up?

Ah. Haha. I'm sure it's all just a cosmic coincidence. Chortles heartily.

Hopefully it spurs the development of the Iran to Istanbul segment.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

speng31b posted:

if anyone wants a grosse biden on their rap sheet lmk

Ye

E: just do it before i wake up in six hours

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Endman posted:

The most pissweak way to end a war imo
Don't worry, that's exactly what got us this war in the first place, so there's no way it would be an end.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What is wrong with this demon cracker country? Russia, China, now Mexico and anyone with Lithium. Where is the US not starting poo poo? Antarctica?

Also I decided to take a gander at German electricity prices. I remember they went nuts during the start of the Ukraine war, like quadruple price for a few months. Prices are evack to normal levels. Germany introduced price caps and spent billions subsidizing electric bills by taxing green energy's unreasonable profits during high electric prices. loving lol this country is never going green.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only way this conflict becomes frozen is if NATO stops pumping weapons into Ukraine.

And the only way that happens is if it somehow magically becomes unprofitable for US.

I don't know what it would take for US to stop profiting from weapons trafficking.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
CIA is claiming Wagner is in a "tactical pause"

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1634064635820232704

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

Hopefully it spurs the development of the Iran to Istanbul segment.

Might. Doesn't matter - as long as Western EU ports are still the main point of entry.

Can you imagine the economic impact to certain Western EU nations that act as shipping hubs if you could just rail freight stuff in through the East instead? Those filthy peasant upstarts would gain wealth off trade rather than our collective betters and we can't have that.

Of course nothing lasts forever but you can sure stretch it out.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

crepeface posted:

the derpy uk fish makin me laugh

Bring back dopefish

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is wrong with this demon cracker country? Russia, China, now Mexico and anyone with Lithium. Where is the US not starting poo poo? Antarctica?

The US "maintains a basis to claim territory in Antarctica" and does not recognise the claims of other claimants.

quote:

https://www.state.gov/key-topics-office-of-ocean-and-polar-affairs/antarctic/

US DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Antarctic Region
OFFICE OF OCEAN AND POLAR AFFAIRS

The United States has strong diplomatic interests in Antarctica. In particular, the United States seeks to promote Antarctica’s status as a continent reserved for peace and science in accordance with the provisions of the Antarctic Treaty of 1959. The United States played a major role in negotiating this Treaty, which was signed in Washington, and it participates actively in all aspects of the Antarctic Treaty System. There are currently 53 Parties to the Treaty, of which 29 are Consultative Parties having the right to participate in decision-making.

The Department of State coordinates U.S. policy on Antarctica, and works closely with the National Science Foundation , the federal agency that administers the U.S. Antarctic Program . The United States maintains three year-round scientific stations on Antarctica and has more personnel based in Antarctica than any other country. The Department of State leads the U.S. delegation to the annual Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting (ATCM), where the international community discusses a range of issues pertaining to the Continent. The Department also maintains close ties to the Antarctic Treaty Secretariat (based in Buenos Aires) which facilitates communication among parties to the Antarctic Treaty.

Seven countries (Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, New Zealand, Norway, and the United Kingdom) maintain territorial claims in Antarctica, but the United States and most other countries do not recognize those claims. While the United States maintains a basis to claim territory in Antarctica, it has not made a claim.

More information about the State Department’s role in promoting U.S. interests in Antarctica is available by emailing Antarctica@state.gov.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fizzy posted:

The US "maintains a basis to claim territory in Antarctica" and does not recognise the claims of other claimants.

if there's one thing I have in common with the stage department it's that I don't even consider recognizing France, Norway, and the United Kingdom. it's not their hemisphere; they're not supposed to be there!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

if there's one thing I have in common with the stage department it's that I don't even consider recognizing France, Norway, and the United Kingdom. it's not their hemisphere; they're not supposed to be there!

it would be kinda funny to just split it between chile, south africa, australia and new zealand

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Delta-Wye posted:

remember, when russia invades its smaller neighbor on its southwestern border, its very very bad

likewise, when the usa invades its smaller neighbor on its southwestern border, its very very good

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1633131464488370182

its not even a big us government with a broad set of opinions, its lindsey graham prancing about setting things on fire for any excuse he can come up with

I hear the US has a great track record of fighting insurgents in rocky terrain

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mawarannahr posted:

oh poo poo... the judgment has been rendered
Rights Watchdog Says Global Freedom Declined For 17th Year

what is "that country’s hard-won democratic progress?"

I think this is the first time I've seen Freedom House carve Tibet out of China on the map.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

I think this is the first time I've seen Freedom House carve Tibet out of China on the map.

-50 social credit score points to the map editor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

transnistria and the georgian breakways are also on there, as well as somaliland

edit jammu, kashmir, ladakh and something else

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 09:29 on Mar 10, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

OhFunny posted:

the uk being green despite working on a law that allows actual no poo poo slavery ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

OhFunny posted:

gee i wonder why the middle east isnt free its a total mystery nothing america has done im sure also its very cool of them to carve out the palestinians as authoritarian