Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SuperKlaus posted:

Thanks! What about +30% toughness over 5s upon warp charge? Can I trigger that at max charges, and do the instances of 5s regen stack?

You can trigger it at max charges. No, it does not stack it just resets the toughness trickle. I think it works for a Purgatus build where you're constantly gonna get warp charges just from using your stave to kill things but on the other builds you probably should use quietitude.

Arghy posted:

Goddamn the priest is like the elf, so many are playing it wrong that don't support the team at all. I'm leveling mine up and we did a loving haz 3(malice) with grims with a lv1 priest(me) and a lv1 ogryn who barely plays. I only got tossed over a railing once but i never went down and basically just supported my team by using my dash to bail allies out of trouble and kept pressure off the new ogryn player. Who knew that as a priest you don't need to be rushing forward alone the entire loving mission.

Kinda mad i can't play the preacher to zone out the bad players like i could in VT2 by playing the elf so no elf mains could join.

I know its been a while since you've played I believe, but maybe you're just unlucky if you've been seeing a lot of those recently? The majority of zealots I see in high difficulty now all stick with the team, help manage hordes and protect the weaker (in melee) classes. If I see one (or do it myself) rush out of position it's because it's a particularly threatening mixed shooter group and I'm trying to keep it occupied since zealots have the tools to do it safely while the rest of the team cleans up a horde or whatever.

Any newbies should be given a pass imo, folks just learning the game are gonna have bad habits no matter what lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I can def anecdotally support the feeling there's a lot more bad/entitled players in Damnation recently though. Also playing Psyker pubstove is kinda pain, you really need good team support.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

The zealot's kit absolutely triggers my gotta go fast mode, and it feels like that pull gets stronger the higher level you go, so you have to be careful to stay with people.

If you get all your bleed/crit/damage reduction/whatever rolling you really feel like a steamroller (at least moreso than the other classes with all at 30), but when those drop off and you don't notice you're especially screwed because it's all about momentum.

0% damage taken while sliding, so you gotta be sprinting... always

if you can get to a shooter group while they're walking/mulling about, it's a lot less punishing than when they all spread to cover and stagger you from 15 different directions, maybe you can close and get them all to pull out their melee instead?

Until Death & Holy Revenant lulling you into killing yourself and trying to heal back to full while mowing down hordes every minute and a half

2 dashes to really let you overextend.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If the Emperor wanted me to stay with the group He wouldn’t have given me two dashes, invuln frames on sliding, and this amazingly choppy axe. Staying back would be heresy imo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I dislike about this new blessing system is you need to surrender weapons of every weapon type to get the same blessing across them, like for Psyker staves if I want Warp Flurry for example on 4 staves, I need to sacrifice it on 4 different stave types even though it's the exact same name and effect for all 4 of them, makes it very hard to keep track and very annoying.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On another note, I feel like Melk's store should rotate weekly if the currency is weekly because I am always worried about getting something and not having any currency to get something crazy good later in the week, that or allow us to ask Melk to hold some items for later purchase.

Case in point, how sad should I be that I can't get this?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

For a melky thats really good but you definitely want thrust 4 on the thammer so maybe dont feel too bad

I think a good compromise would just be to have each shop last 7 days, so a new one rotates in every day but you have a week to buy it

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So what is the deal with psyker / How do you play one at the leveling-phase wise?

All other classes have their niche very much from the get-go and it is easy to assume the role

- Veteran has double the ammo and 5-second double damage so from lvl1 onwards you just play ”shoot and throw grenades as much as you can”
- Preacher has charge that increases melee damage and is super zippy, so you slash and shoot from the get-go.
- Ogryn has million hit points and ton of stagger, so you keep running interference / tanking from get-go, just making sure you dont get caught in the open.

Psyker is super frail, has one crowdcontrol / stagger ability that takes forever to recharge, very little way to fight multiple shooters from range and has to constantly manage warp charges, which still dont really compare damage output-wise to the 5s murder spree that automatically recharges for the veteran. The BB does ”Ok” damage but is very low on constant DPS.

Also is it just me or is the psyker powersword way weaker than the munitorum one?

Am I missing something here, bc right now I am running my lvl18 psyker with the autopistol + pinfire as just a shittier, grenadeless Veteran and that seems to be the most efficient setup I can get.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been leveling a Psyker recently and I've been finding that there are generally more than enough specials to brainburst that I never stop feeling useful doing that. Infinite range, perfect accuracy, infinite ammo, impossible to miss with - it hard counters pretty much every difficult thing the game throws at you on lower difficulties before other classes get their own ways to do that.

So I guess your role is to shepherd the team and oversee their victory :shrug:

But that being said yeah so far every single one of their weapons that I've used both melee and range feels pitiful compared to vet/ogryn :v: Zealot has that same problem - their melee and ranged weapons are just flat out worse than vet/ogryn too. Zealot's actually much worse IMO because they can't easymode-snipe one-shot elites every couple seconds and their whole class gimmick is just a bad 50% toughness restore.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 10, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Early psyker is brain bursting all the tough targets, because brain burst damage is fixed you do monster damage up through malice, and crowd control with your ult.

Also unlike the other classes you get a lot of role definition through your warp staff selection, so once those unlock using a staff helps you to perform a role

flamer: horde control
zappy: shooter and carapace CC
trauma: stagger and horde mulching
voidstrike: dps

basicslly if you dont get the headshot 20 enemies in a row penance while leveling psyker ur doing something wrong

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been leveling a Psyker recently and I've been finding that there are generally more than enough specials to brainburst that I never stop feeling useful doing that. Infinite range, perfect accuracy, infinite ammo, impossible to miss with - it hard counters pretty much every difficult thing the game throws at you on lower difficulties before other classes get their own ways to do that.

So I guess your role is to shepherd the team and oversee their victory :shrug:

I mean yes, but it feels weird that there is very little equipment- wise a psyker is worth, especially since the Staves use your ”mana pool” so you just walk behind the crowd without a weapon out and BB stuff / quell nonstop.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Psyker needs levels the most out of any class to shine, otherwise you'll be running around with a gun playing worse-veteran and trying to brainburst targets that died the instant the veteran looked it's way.

Once you hit 30 and get good weapons however, Psyker becomes a actual powerhouse and the difference between the low modifier weapons and max modifier weapons will be night and day because you'll have enough passive warp resist to just spam for days while having the benefit of leaving all the ammo for your teammates and unlike VT2 you don't need to spend health to regenerate your ranged firepower (and in VT2 it was sometimes worth it even for the health cost)

If you compare weapons to the powersword you'll come up short constantly, but the force sword is really great when you get the modifier values to change it's 1 shot move from 70 peril to a mere 12, plus infinite dodges makes any VT2 player feel at home.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's hard to tell and could be confirmation bias and I was always shooting almost-dead elites, but I think this blessing:

Might have a weird interaction with enemies who are shocked by a psyker, causing it to gain more than the listed amount of bonus damage. Compare how fast the first mauler + 2 ragers die (all shocked) compared to the second mauler (not shocked but still getting shot by teammates). E.g. maybe the shock works by applying a 1000% stagger or whatever.

https://i.imgur.com/ntVqNkC.mp4

This is the shotgun:

Every time I shot something that was electrocuted it died in 1-2 hits (this is on Damnation) :shrug: Maybe the shock just does way more damage than I thought but I've never noticed one chunking elites that hard.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 10, 2023

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The surge shock does do a good amount of damage to flak armored targets so maybe that was it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
oh poo poo, you can charge the helbore without ADSing. i should give this gun another go

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

You can trigger it at max charges. No, it does not stack it just resets the toughness trickle. I think it works for a Purgatus build where you're constantly gonna get warp charges just from using your stave to kill things but on the other builds you probably should use quietitude.

I know its been a while since you've played I believe, but maybe you're just unlucky if you've been seeing a lot of those recently? The majority of zealots I see in high difficulty now all stick with the team, help manage hordes and protect the weaker (in melee) classes. If I see one (or do it myself) rush out of position it's because it's a particularly threatening mixed shooter group and I'm trying to keep it occupied since zealots have the tools to do it safely while the rest of the team cleans up a horde or whatever.

Any newbies should be given a pass imo, folks just learning the game are gonna have bad habits no matter what lol.

Nah i play usually a few times a week, thankfully my group realized we should stagger DRG in to avoid burn out. I'd say 4 out of 5 priests on malice all rush off alone never picking up medkits or ammo bags much less tomes or grims. We'll be sorting out who picks up the grim and making sure we bring the medkit that got dropped while the priest is alone 100m away getting killed by dogs. A lot of it is tunnel vision where they just don't realize they've ran off alone but a large part is people speed running and refusing to open chests or grab crafting materials haha. We watched someone ignore 2 large crafting spawns because it would have slowed them down which is just insane considering all the time they saved is wasted when they take extra time waiting for the rest of the team to catch up haha.

The best preacher thing we've ever seen was a guy who ran all the way to the elevator in that sand level alone while we were still going up the stairs because we searched for the battery for the med station so he loving throws down his medkit in the elevator blowing it on himself and all the damage he's taken because he was being a douche nozzle. We've never had another experience like that but we were loving blown away haha.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I mean to be fair if I fought all the way to a checkpoint alone and my team was still back at the start trying to sort out a medstation battery instead of just using the medkit I was holding I would be very confused too. I usually grab more mats than anyone else but I don't want to slow down my runs by tediously combing over maps for them, that's just wasting time to eke an extra 100-200 plasteel out of a mission, when that same amount of time could get me 400+ plasteel from the first half of another mission.

This is fundamentally a game about Go Fast and if my team isn't keeping up that's their problem. The emperor rewards efficiency :colbert:

e: But I've also played enough of this game that at this point there's not really anything in it I can't handle solo, outside of getting swarmed by multiple bulwarks in a horde.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 10, 2023

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

This is fundamentally a game about Go Fast and if my team isn't keeping up that's their problem. The emperor rewards efficiency :colbert:

I hate playing missions with grimores or scriptures for the way every try hard immediately begins slowly combing through the entire map. I bet the time/effort put into that could get you the same amount of experience by just beating the mission and then doing another one.

it's even worse when it's just a straight mission and they do the same thing because god forbid we miss 50 plasteel or whatever I JUST WANT TO SHOOT HERETICS IN THE FACE

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Chaos wastes in VT2 did it right with the boss chests, don't do grims and tomes instead add a very hard to miss option that gives you a straight up benefit for a challenge. Give tomes and grims at the beginning of the mission that you then choose to carry through it or not.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Darn, game did a small update and it broke the mods, I got to walk to the shop and mission select like a peasant again.

What's the story with mods on this game after a patch? got to redownload from the nexus after the modder updates it or?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Darn, game did a small update and it broke the mods, I got to walk to the shop and mission select like a peasant again.

What's the story with mods on this game after a patch? got to redownload from the nexus after the modder updates it or?

Just run the .bat file in the Darktide directory again to re-activate them

Everything about this post is delusional

Magitek fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 10, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arghy posted:

Nah i play usually a few times a week, thankfully my group realized we should stagger DRG in to avoid burn out. I'd say 4 out of 5 priests on malice all rush off alone never picking up medkits or ammo bags much less tomes or grims. We'll be sorting out who picks up the grim and making sure we bring the medkit that got dropped while the priest is alone 100m away getting killed by dogs. A lot of it is tunnel vision where they just don't realize they've ran off alone but a large part is people speed running and refusing to open chests or grab crafting materials haha. We watched someone ignore 2 large crafting spawns because it would have slowed them down which is just insane considering all the time they saved is wasted when they take extra time waiting for the rest of the team to catch up haha.

The best preacher thing we've ever seen was a guy who ran all the way to the elevator in that sand level alone while we were still going up the stairs because we searched for the battery for the med station so he loving throws down his medkit in the elevator blowing it on himself and all the damage he's taken because he was being a douche nozzle. We've never had another experience like that but we were loving blown away haha.

If y'all play that regularly I would genuinely recommend bumping up to Heresy or Damnation (low intensity if you just want mats). Not only are there far more crafting mats, the pubbies are actually generally competent and zealots in particular are much better. It's also pretty fun and challenging!

I'm seriously hooked on the plasteel feed from Damnation now, it's too good getting that 500-700 plasteel a run.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

I mean to be fair if I fought all the way to a checkpoint alone and my team was still back at the start trying to sort out a medstation battery instead of just using the medkit I was holding I would be very confused too. I usually grab more mats than anyone else but I don't want to slow down my runs by tediously combing over maps for them, that's just wasting time to eke an extra 100-200 plasteel out of a mission, when that same amount of time could get me 400+ plasteel from the first half of another mission.

e: But I've also played enough of this game that at this point there's not really anything in it I can't handle solo, outside of getting swarmed by multiple bulwarks in a horde.

I wish teams would slow down so I can look at stuff in the cool levels :(

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

celewign posted:

I wish teams would slow down so I can look at stuff in the cool levels :(

For real. I find myself stealing a quick look up at the start of missions before having to zoom off to catch up with the team. The art and environmental design looks so good, I want to appreciate it!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

you need to run the *.bat after every patch, that's it

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Arghy posted:

Chaos wastes in VT2 did it right with the boss chests, don't do grims and tomes instead add a very hard to miss option that gives you a straight up benefit for a challenge. Give tomes and grims at the beginning of the mission that you then choose to carry through it or not.

Have it require three players to enable it and you're good

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Grims had a purpose in VT2 in that you were moreso guaranteed emperors chests, seems like in DT you just get a paltry XP amount that's not worth the effort.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Grims had a purpose in VT2 in that you were moreso guaranteed emperors chests, seems like in DT you just get a paltry XP amount that's not worth the effort.

They've literally just changed this actually! Completing any secondary objective improves the quality of the Emperor's Gift at the end of a mission. In addition Scriptures and Grims give different bonuses to money/exp now. Scrips are better for exp, and Grims are better for dockets.

The various conditions now also give different bonuses too, you'd need to look up the exact patch notes if you want better details though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, if you're talking about the game you may want to actually play after the most recent patch, they added a lot of things people were asking about/complaining that was missing. It rules.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
To be fair, giving increased exp rewards is sorta worthless when you are at 30, wish they would get around to changing that, especially if I gotta roll past +exp on curios or brink a curio with it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

To be fair, giving increased exp rewards is sorta worthless when you are at 30, wish they would get around to changing that, especially if I gotta roll past +exp on curios or brink a curio with it.

Yea I am hoping one of the future updates converts XP into something useful or just adds prestige levels or something that also do something useful

With the EG being every game now it would need to be something better than just getting another piece of gear.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd be fine with either make pointless number go up infinitely or filling bar gives extra gear.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Do ignore enemy hitmass and cleave effectively modify the same thing? Looking at a power sword with wrath 3(+40% cleave on hit, stacks 5) and rampage 3(17.5 dmg for 3s) or one with brutal momentum 3(ignore hit mass for 3.5 on weakspot) amd slaughterer 3(12.5% pwr 5x). I'm fairly certain slaughterer is better than rampage but not sure on the brutal vs wrath. Also the rampage sword has a way better statline and higher power rating.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

They've literally just changed this actually! Completing any secondary objective improves the quality of the Emperor's Gift at the end of a mission. In addition Scriptures and Grims give different bonuses to money/exp now. Scrips are better for exp, and Grims are better for dockets.

The various conditions now also give different bonuses too, you'd need to look up the exact patch notes if you want better details though.

I feel like I generally read the patch notes pretty well but went back digging on this one, not in patch note #5, but in patch note #4 I found this, "Additionally, Conditions will also affect the chances of increasing the rarity of items being gifted."

In the "Mission Board" notes above this section it lists Grims as a side mission / condition so presumably that's where the interaction occurs to increase the rarity chance. TBH I'll probably still purposefully skip grim maps until I see some stats about what the actual rarity increase chance is since having to hunt for all 3 grims is (to me) annoying. Perhaps I should see if anyone has catalogued all the possible spawn points for grims yet.

Anyway thanks for pointing out that I missed that in the notes!

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Do ignore enemy hitmass and cleave effectively modify the same thing? Looking at a power sword with wrath 3(+40% cleave on hit, stacks 5) and rampage 3(17.5 dmg for 3s) or one with brutal momentum 3(ignore hit mass for 3.5 on weakspot) amd slaughterer 3(12.5% pwr 5x). I'm fairly certain slaughterer is better than rampage but not sure on the brutal vs wrath. Also the rampage sword has a way better statline and higher power rating.

Cleave is a per weapon stat that says how many folks you can stab through at a time and enemy hit mass subtracts from the cleave value until it hits zero then you stop cleaving and armor type has a bigger mass value - Infested and Flak subtract more than Unarmored

Bigger cleave value means you can slash through more total dudes while brutal momentum means you can slash through the max dudes of your cleave value

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd be fine with either make pointless number go up infinitely or filling bar gives extra gear.

Vt2 had commendation chests i literally don't understand why the gently caress they regressed from that. They should also have options for the EG where you get the item or you can get crafting mats/dockets instead--oh is it a poo poo green item? I'll take crafting mats or dockets instead please.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Just as a PSA for anybody trying Psyker out, since I saw a few new Psykers upthread:

Really, honestly, don't worry about warp charges. There are some specific interactions with warp charges at higher levels but by the time you get it you probably have other ways of generating them. Trying to constantly juggle headpops for charges is a lot of mental overhead for like 10% damage, just let them ebb and flow naturally.

EDIT: VT2 had, for better or worse, a much lower ceiling for when you would be 'done' gearing up a character due in part to the more generous loot and crafting system. I personally think that it's better to get gear faster but if you were looking to extend the game's progression-based lifespan it would make sense to be less generous.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Just to dovetail from psyker chat, what class do you think is the most gear dependant?

It feels like the psyker might be, as you have less health and toughness than other classes, and some of the cool things the class gets are gated behind specific items (force sword, various staffs).

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I know people say Trauma staff is not great but after having no staff at all its a breath of fresh air.

Also mulching groups with it is fun. (I need better peril control though i keep popping myself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

I know people say Trauma staff is not great but after having no staff at all its a breath of fresh air.

Also mulching groups with it is fun. (I need better peril control though i keep popping myself)

The Trauma Staff is fine. The problem is that it's the first staff you get and the staves in general are really of variable quality depending on which stats are good (for instance, Trauma feels much better with faster charge time).