Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

I too wanted more out of that scene. I see why Picard just left, but I kind of wanted him to engage a little bit. I don't need Picard to be all "gently caress you, ya baby back bitch, I got assimilated, I didn't do that poo poo." Just like, explain how he also had to deal with the trauma from that, and he didn't just return to Starfleet like nothing happened.

I only caught up on the series because an ex-girlfriend gave me a gift card for Paramount+, but, yeah, that scene is a giant "okay, and...?"

Picard should have stood up to Shaw and said, "I was there. But I wasn't there. And it's stayed with me all my life." And then walked away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm enjoying Season 3 of Picard.

This really should have been Season 1 of Picard, or Season 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should just delete the first two seasons, cut out whatever line from this season that says Picard is a robot, and then just say this season is all there is of Picard. Assuming this doesn't go down the shitter from here.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

"Hey Terry, we've got a problem. There's too many sfx shots at the end of tihs episode, we need to save money on our budget."

"No problem, I'll rewrite a large chunk of it to be set on that cheap bar set. Holodoecks are so cool....imagine you could be anywhere..."

"Terry? Terry?" *snaps fingers* "We're justifying this sfx poo poo at the end because they're out of power, remember?"

"what? Oh, yeah, no, don't worry, I'll contrive a reason."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You just can't shunt power from the holodeck to the rest of the ship. You see, the power connectors for the ship are cylinders, but the power connectors for the holodeck are cuboids. They are just incompatible.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

They should just delete the first two seasons, cut out whatever line from this season that says Picard is a robot, and then just say this season is all there is of Picard. Assuming this doesn't go down the shitter from here.

They cannot delete. Those two seasons are there. Those first two seasons are shameful. Those two seasons are so shameful they can say whatever they want, robut, no our bad, cut out, whatever. Assume all you will, those seasons will go down the shitter because they are bad and you should feel bad for watching them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The holodeck power source is independent of all the other conduits, and disconnecting that source and trying to transfer it's energy into the warp drive would probably be the equivalent of putting a standard car battery inside of an 787 Dreamliner jumbo jet and hoping it can provide you enough juice to get from London to LA in one go.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gonz posted:

The holodeck power source is independent of all the other conduits, and disconnecting that source and trying to transfer it's energy into the warp drive would probably be the equivalent of putting a standard car battery inside of an 787 Dreamliner jumbo jet and hoping it can provide you enough juice to get from London to LA in one go.

Why don't they just tell the holodeck to simulate the warp core? Hell tell the holodeck to simulate 5 holodecks simulating warp cores.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The holodeck independent power thing is straight from Voyager, including that you can't unplug it from the holodeck and use it for something else.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://trekmovie.com/2023/03/09/exclusive-robert-beltran-turned-down-star-trek-picard-role-picking-up-on-seven-chakotay-romance/

Beltran didn't want his return to Trek to be as a Nazi lol

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Seemlar posted:

The holodeck independent power thing is straight from Voyager, including that you can't unplug it from the holodeck and use it for something else.

Re-using some obviously weak-rear end contrivance 'because the other show did it before' is the laziest kind of writing there is.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I too wanted more out of that scene. I see why Picard just left, but I kind of wanted him to engage a little bit. I don't need Picard to be all "gently caress you, ya baby back bitch, I got assimilated, I didn't do that poo poo." Just like, explain how he also had to deal with the trauma from that, and he didn't just return to Starfleet like nothing happened.

Picard basically did that by the way he talked down Jack after Shaws speech.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
My thing about Shaw is that his behavior does make a lot of sense... outside of the context of him being, not just a captain, but the captain of the goddamn Titan.

Like, he's obviously got some deep-seated issues and with fairly understandable reasonings, but how the hell did he get promoted that high up in the first place?

The answers of course being something about Starfleet lowering their standards, or whatever other rear end pull bullshit Matalas would come up with if asked about it on Twitter.

Speaking of: please stop name dropping the Matalas planet system in every goddamn episode. It was begrudgingly and eye-rollingly acceptable all of once.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

For anyone wondering, the plaque said “Daystrom Institute.”

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

apatheticman posted:

This episode was good because there was no Raffi.
And it took place entirely on a Federation ship.
I just finished the episode and I really enjoyed it. I found myself getting caught up in the suspense and I hooted and howled like an idiot when Picard told Jack 5 years ago that Starfleet was the only family he ever needed.
Could really do without the weird extra-evil super-secret bad guy and Jack's weirdo visions BS but, hey, no Raffi overacting brought this up to be one of the best episodes of the show, if not the best.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In the next episode, Worf and Raffi will find themselves on Risa, tracking down yet another conspiracy that originates on Risa.

Things to do on Risa:

* Vacation
* Relax
* C O N S P I R A C Y

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thay was definitely the best episode of the nebula arc, I'm surprised Shaw made it out without having to 'redeem' himself for being a prickly rear end in a top hat with a heroic death. Hoping he makes it to the end of the season, really feeling his 'gently caress these boomers' attitude

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Like, he's obviously got some deep-seated issues and with fairly understandable reasonings, but how the hell did he get promoted that high up in the first place?

Oh yeah, I don't think he's a good captain at all. He's getting emotional in front of junior officers on his own goddamn ship, never mind that he's not the active captain. It's still his ship. A good captain goes down with his ship. Instead, he metaphorically (and then actually) tears it apart.

I'm not saying the show is trying to portray that he's a bad captain. I think the show wants us to think he's awesome because he's full of snark, but what the hell are we supposed to think about the ship that he's running? I actually think the show stumbled upon a metaphor it had no intention to deliver. That's how little credit I am willing to give the writers so far.

Maybe I'll end up being wrong. But so far, four episodes in, every story beat has been superfluous or obvious. This show knows nothing of nuance.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Episode was good despite some glaring flaws and dumb mystery box trash. Jack once again being the person to solve the problem both Picard and his mom had already solved except writing made them too dumb to solve is annoying and undermines the good stuff his character had this episode. Vadic sucks, she went from potentially fun to just irritating. The editing was too clever for it's own good. Alien space babies was awesome, every Trek show needs alien space babies and Picard finally does it.

Timby posted:

I really dislike Shaw saying that Picard as Locutus was so deadly as to deserve a name.

Locutus, in Latin, essentially means "speaker."

Shaw is just a fan of Dwarf Fortress

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Overall I liked the episode, but I really don’t think this show needed to spend half a season sitting in a nebula

They are still dangling this whole Jack Crusher mystery over our heads and as mentioned, it’s really weird that Vadic is apparently fine with letting him die when the whole point from the beginning was to get him off of the Titan.

I still think it’s strange that Changelings are the villain this season when TNG never dealt with that. I get that they already had Romulan and Borg villains in previous seasons, so did they just run out of villain ideas?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Lister posted:

Jack seeing a prophetic vision of destruction(? or maybe it was a planet with awful weather?) or whatever it was is a pretty dumb way to push a plot forward. The safely of the whole federation will probably be at stake too.

It was the upside down, Vadic is actually a descendent of Vecna.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That was a legit great episode! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! More of that please.

ashpanash posted:

Re-using some obviously weak-rear end contrivance 'because the other show did it before' is the laziest kind of writing there is.

Wrong. Using established canon is what they should be doing. Changing it for contrived plot is bad writing (which we've seen a lot of in this very show!)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gonz posted:

In the next episode, Worf and Raffi will find themselves on Risa, tracking down yet another conspiracy that originates on Risa.

Things to do on Risa:

* Vacation
* Relax
* C O N S P I R A C Y

Going to Risa is as dangerous as going to an academic conference.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

CPColin posted:

Also also, lol at everyone immediately gasping for air as soon as life support turns off. I guess all the oxygen just goes right out the window. Somebody tell Trek writers to watch Apollo 13.

Did I miss something? I saw literally 0 people gasping for air. I saw looks of concern on peoples faces.

There was the comment about holding your breath, but I thought it was more about what they were trying to do more than literally holding your breath.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

My Second Re-Reg posted:

My thing about Shaw is that his behavior does make a lot of sense... outside of the context of him being, not just a captain, but the captain of the goddamn Titan.

he's an rear end in a top hat, but he doesn't seem incompetent or ineffective; he just seems like a very by-the-books company man who follows protocol and carries out orders and doesn't stick his neck out or put his crew in unnecessary danger, the kind of officer that would be the backbone of an organization like Starfleet, and he's not shy about saying so

also he's an engineer, which, you know

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Comfortador posted:

Did I miss something? I saw literally 0 people gasping for air. I saw looks of concern on peoples faces.

There was the comment about holding your breath, but I thought it was more about what they were trying to do more than literally holding your breath.

Yeah, no one was gasping for breath. They just looked worried. People are so desperate to poo poo on this episode that they're manufacturing things that didn't happen to be angry about!

Like, people are complaining that we didn't see the senior officers of the Titan sitting around talking. Imagine that! A scene with 6+ people we've never seen or will see again discussing what to do in a crisis, turning our heroes into third wheels. It would have been a terrible idea! You can argue that it's not terribly realistic, but I'm glad they didn't do that. They sort of got around it anyway by having the second in command relieved of duty (and on a secret mission), the chief of engineering and doctor having their hands full with various crises, so that would have left... head of security and science officer to chat with Riker?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Chairman posted:

he's an rear end in a top hat, but he doesn't seem incompetent or ineffective; he just seems like a very by-the-books company man who follows protocol and carries out orders and doesn't stick his neck out or put his crew in unnecessary danger, the kind of officer that would be the backbone of an organization like Starfleet, and he's not shy about saying so

also he's an engineer, which, you know

A competent captain doesn't regularly publicly insult, and use their authority to force their second in command to use a name they don't want to be called by.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 10, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

On Voyager the holodeck power systems were fucky to explain why they couldn't just cut power to the holodeck when someone got stuck in it or w/e, it was an explanation that served a plot purpose. No plot purpose here; they just didn't want to shoot the scene on a spaceship set.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CainFortea posted:

A competent captain doesn't regularly publicly insult, and use their authority to force their second in command to use a name they don't want to be called by.

Yeah, I think it's weird for Seven's character to still want to be Seven given her arc in Voyager, but if you want her to still be Seven the weird anti-Borg prejudice 30 years later is asinine. It worked for Sisko because the events were still relatively recent, and I can even buy Shaw having some massive survivors guilt for it, but the hatred of liberated drones and especially Picard makes no sense this far into the future and with what a loving trained Starfleet captain should know and be expected to handle. I hate NuTreks obsession with ruining Starfleet and what it stands for.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Picard walking away from Shaw was the right call. Picard has mostly come to terms with what happened, so he let himself be a punching bag for a guy who went through some poo poo and thought he was gonna die and needed to vent.

Right after, Shaw saw how his crew was looking at him and that seemed to have him reflect on how he had become an rear end in a top hat. That was the start of him turning things around. If Picard had dressed him down in front of his crew, that would have been worse.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Eh, I think Picard engaged just enough, he knows that Shaw has unresolved trauma from Wolf 359 and deserves some closure from it. In fact Shaw I think the key difference between Shaw and Sisko is that Shaw is seemingly younger when his poo poo happens, he might not of had the maturity to deal with what happened. Sisko at the end of Emissary apologizes to Picard about taking his pain out on him which is the responsible adult thing to do.

Anyways, I really liked the last two episodes and the first episode was decent too. I will say these three episodes PROBABLY could of been condensed to two. We don't know all the reintroductions characters and maybe dealt less with the initial stealing of the Titan. This is a modern tv thing where they take forever building things up. Suprisingly, Last of Us does this pretty well, self contained episodes that move the plot briskly but tell a story.

I have a more generalized though Picard as a series. Seasons 1 and 2 felt like a weird mash of not wanting to be in the past but not also wanting to revere it so much. Like a bunch of Paramount Executives said get Picard but none of this sci-fi crap, especially not cheesy Star Trek. Make it gritty but also no aliens. And at least this season is like we can honor the past and heck use our old characters while still seeking new life and examine the human condition a bit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Someone made this joke earlier about Riker and his all new issues this season, but you know this really seems like the kind of thing that some kind of person you could talk to could help you sort through. You know someone to discuss and help improve your psychological state. Some sort of therapist or councilor. If only they had established that such a position is a thing in Star Trek, oh well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

People not liking Picard because he was Locutus is a perfectly interesting basis for a Star Trek story: everyone involved is a victim and trauma results in painful emotional reactions that people can't control and are hard to work through.

The problem is that this story was done and done well in the pilot for DS9. There's nothing original about going back to that well unless you are really going to dive into issues of generational trauma.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eimi posted:

Someone made this joke earlier about Riker and his all new issues this season, but you know this really seems like the kind of thing that some kind of person you could talk to could help you sort through. You know someone to discuss and help improve your psychological state. Some sort of therapist or councilor. If only they had established that such a position is a thing in Star Trek, oh well.

I mean, his issues are affecting his relationship with Deanna. I think that kinda makes her the wrong person to talk to about it in a professional capacity.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
There's always Dr. Migleemo :v:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mr.Radar posted:

Migleemo as a horrifying live-action bird person just Kool-Aid Man-ing his way onto the Titan would make me forgive every sin Picard has committed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

"Orange you glad for the people in your life, Captain?"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eimi posted:

Yeah, I think it's weird for Seven's character to still want to be Seven given her arc in Voyager, but if you want her to still be Seven the weird anti-Borg prejudice 30 years later is asinine. It worked for Sisko because the events were still relatively recent, and I can even buy Shaw having some massive survivors guilt for it, but the hatred of liberated drones and especially Picard makes no sense this far into the future and with what a loving trained Starfleet captain should know and be expected to handle. I hate NuTreks obsession with ruining Starfleet and what it stands for.

I don't think it's that weird to still refer to herself as seven even after all this time. She could simply not want to try and hide the trauma, accepting that it happened and that she couldn't stop it. Seven of nine has been her designation for most of her life, and trying to go back to her human name which she barely even remembers could be seen as, to herself anyway, as if she's trying to pretend that the borg never happened.

Of course I have no faith that the writers of this show thought that much about it. But it definitely didn't seem that weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I'm enjoying Season 3 of Picard.

This really should have been Season 1 of Picard, or Season 2.

Akiva Goldsman made it clear before the show premiered that they weren't trying to make a sequel to TNG. I don't exactly know who insisted on trying to do that. Maybe they couldn't get Patrick Stewart on from the beginning if he said "look, I'm not doing the exact same poo poo all over again." Either way, the show finally is a sequel to TNG because it turns out that's all anybody wanted anyway.