Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

He uses his breathing grate like a child's play doh mold, and just forces the food through it.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

credburn posted:

My only memory of Step By Step is watching it and seeing not just one but TWO episodes that were almost identical to Happy Days episodes. I don't just mean thematically, it's like they reused the script and changed the names :mad:

That’s really funny, because Family Matters is the tgif show that transparently plagiarizes Happy Days. Step by Step is transparent plagiarism of The Brady Bunch.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s really funny, because Family Matters is the tgif show that transparently plagiarizes Happy Days. Step by Step is transparent plagiarism of The Brady Bunch.

Now in my head I'm not positive if the sitcom that copied the episodes was Family Matters or Step By Step...

One of the episodes I'm talking about was "The Skin Game" on Happy Days. It's about the kids using fake IDs to get into a strip club, discover their father is there, go through some struggle about dad maybe having an affair, then dad revealing he brings clients there so he gets better deals or something. I don't remember what the dad did in Step By Step...

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hoping it wasn't family matters then cause dad was a cop

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i have no problem with dropping the JRPG term, but what do we use to replace it with?

I AM GRANDO posted:

one of the most sus things in family matters was that episode where carl tried to promote abstinence

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mr Interweb posted:

i have no problem with dropping the JRPG term, but what do we use to replace it with?

I know someone said Anime RPG as a joke, but, why not?
If you have a spiky haired protagonist and end up killing God at some point, then grab some pocky and welcome yourself to the Anime RPG club.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
What might you call that kind of aesthetic of console RPGs of the Final Fantasy 4 era that RPG Maker and games made from it are in the aesthetic realm of?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

I've heard "Narrative RPG" or "Character RPG" thrown out as alternatives, highlighting that the games in this broad category tend to focus more on a set narrative centered on a predefined character. Like the Last Dragonborn or Commander Sheperd's personality is somewhat up to the player, but Cloud Strife is a character in the story and you're along for their ride.

"Anime RPG" just sounds like "JRPG, but even more reductive because it isn't even all of Japan that's defining the genre, just a chunk of its pop culture"

Asterite34 has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Mar 10, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
CRPGs (computer RPGs) and CRPGs (console RPGs) are how I used to distinguish them, before I ever heard the term JRPG.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mr Interweb posted:

Call them by the specific genre. A turn based rpg is different from a strategy rpg is different than a first person dungeon crawler rpg is different than a monster collecting rpg and they don't need to have an umbrella term like jrpg

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Asterite34 posted:

I've heard "Narrative RPG" or "Character RPG" thrown out as alternatives, highlighting that the games in this broad category tend to focus more on a set narrative centered on a predefined character. Like the Last Dragonborn or Commander Sheperd's personality is somewhat up to the player, but Cloud Strife is a character in the story and you're along for their ride.

I like this, and then you can further break it down by having both narrative arpg, narrative turn-based rpg, etc.

Which is good enough reason to change the name (though I don't see it changing) but, kinda devil's advocate, yes a Japanese developer said they have a problem with the term but that doesn't necessarily speak for the whole country. Countries are big and have more than one voice for each opinion, who knows if another developer sees it as a source of pride?

I just know I've had to say about poo poo people have said "as Americans" here in China, "hey, you don't speak for me just cuz you're also from the same country as me."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BrainDance posted:

, who knows if another developer sees it as a source of pride?

has anyone said this or are you imaging someone to agree with you

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Improbable Lobster posted:

Call them by the specific genre. A turn based rpg is different from a strategy rpg is different than a first person dungeon crawler rpg is different than a monster collecting rpg and they don't need to have an umbrella term like jrpg

Those represent mechanical differences but not stylistic or aesthetic ones.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

has anyone said this or are you imaging someone to agree with you

I think we should change it.

I didn't say anyone did, I said none of us know and are instead deciding to use one developer as a spokesperson for an entire country.

Like I get it, I know SA has a problem with treating Asian countries as if they're a monolith with no variety in opinions there, that's like half the problem with the China threads. But it's, generally, a lovely thing to do.

We should change it if not just for making a more accurate genre name, and Naoki Yoshida has a good point and yeah, maybe that is how Japanese devs overall feel. But you don't go "well noted Japanese guy Naoki Yoshida said his opinion that's now the whole opinion of Japan problem solved" cuz, that is very belittling to the complexity of other cultures.

BrainDance has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Mar 10, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Those represent mechanical differences but not stylistic or aesthetic ones.

so loving what

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

as we all know, every other video game genre is based on aesthetic and stylistic differences instead of mechanical ones

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

I guess this really is the genre thread now so: I would genuinely find an umbrella term useful, as earlier today I was idly browsing my game library in a mood to play a type of RPG. Among other things, I considered Triangle Strategy, Shin Megami Tensei III, and Ikenfell before settling on playing even more Octopath Traveler II (great game btw, I recommend checking out the demo even if you weren't super into the first one). These games have mechanical differences, one is an SRPG and one is a monster battler and all that, but it's a bit silly to say there's no use for a broader description regardless of nation.

I wish I could hear more Japanese folks talking about their perspectives as well.

Edit: whatever you might wanna call this school of RPGs is a hundred times more focused and coherent than "roguelike" cmon now

woke kaczynski has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Mar 10, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

BrainDance posted:

I think we should change it.

I didn't say anyone did, I said none of us know and are instead deciding to use one developer as a spokesperson for an entire country.

Like I get it, I know SA has a problem with treating Asian countries as if they're a monolith with no variety in opinions there, that's like half the problem with the China threads. But it's, generally, a lovely thing to do.

We should change it if not just for making a more accurate genre name, and Naoki Yoshida has a good point and yeah, maybe that is how Japanese devs overall feel. But you don't go "well noted Japanese guy Naoki Yoshida said his opinion that's now the whole opinion of Japan problem solved" cuz, that is very belittling to the complexity of other cultures.

In the same interview, didn't he say lots of devs recieve the term more positively these days?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The thing is, none of those are actually considered 'JRPGs' as the term goes but the first. Turn-Based RPG is largely fine, I think, outside of some edge-cases.

mycatscrimes posted:

In the same interview, didn't he say lots of devs recieve the term more positively these days?

Yeah, he was just talking about how when he was just starting as a director in around 2008, the genre (and the term for it) were being used as a swear word by Westerners, which turned him off on the word. That was around the time all the Japanese devs started giving their IPs to Western devs to westernize and make super popular, which completely flopped and caused a turn-around (probably helped when people started telling assholes like Phil Fish to shut the hell up).

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Genres are fake fools

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

woke kaczynski posted:

Edit: whatever you might wanna call this school of RPGs is a hundred times more focused and coherent than "roguelike" cmon now

Roguelike used to mean games that were basically like Rogue, to be fair. Then it became a trendy marketing term and now it's basically meaningless.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Roguelike used to mean games that were basically like Rogue, to be fair. Then it became a trendy marketing term and now it's basically meaningless.

To me at least it means "game with a fairly short run-through time that expects you to run through it over and over unlocking stuff until you can actually beat it," and it's fine as part of a larger descriptor. Like maybe it's an action-adventure rogue-like, or a deck builder rogue-like, or whatever. I generally don't like rogue-likes apart from Hades, so it's quite handy for me

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

To me at least it means "game with a fairly short run-through time that expects you to run through it over and over unlocking stuff until you can actually beat it," and it's fine as part of a larger descriptor. Like maybe it's an action-adventure rogue-like, or a deck builder rogue-like, or whatever. I generally don't like rogue-likes apart from Hades, so it's quite handy for me

You're thinking Rogue-lites, not Rogue-like. Rogue-like tends to mean a game where the main "world" and the items in the world are largely randomized, Rogue-lite is that, but geared towards shorter games with more of an emphasis on unlocking content for later playthroughs. Hades is a hell of a lot shorter to play through than Nethack, for example.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Randalor posted:

You're thinking Rogue-lites, not Rogue-like. Rogue-like tends to mean a game where the main "world" and the items in the world are largely randomized, Rogue-lite is that, but geared towards shorter games with more of an emphasis on unlocking content for later playthroughs. Hades is a hell of a lot shorter to play through than Nethack, for example.

Oh yeah, you're totally right. My mistake. Rogue-likes are more like ADOM. They're also not exactly my thing but the issue I have is mainly with rogue-lites, yeah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Video game genres get weird and funny because the ways they evolve often involve taking established formulas and mechanics and rearranging, isolating, and recombining them in familiar but new fashions that end up with a different gameplay experience.

And this isn't always a good thing, see how modern AAA games all end up being bloated conglomerations of action, stealth, exploration, crafting etc etc with rather less regard than they should have for how all those elements actually fit together. Though that's not a new problem, see all those games that had awful forced stealth sections after Metal Gear Solid in clumsy cargo culting.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Am I misremembering or is jrpg a category on Steam?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torquemada posted:

I think they're all just labeled "Anime". I can't remember to be honest, I have a block on all that stuff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Torquemada posted:

It exists as a user tag. The high-level genres don't go more specific than RPG though, I don't think.

Edit: I shoulda checked closer

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jedit posted:

I think they're all just labeled "Anime". I can't remember to be honest, I have a block on all that stuff.

Me too, but Steam finds a way to circumvent my preferences and advertise poorly translated big titty cat girls fighting demons to histrionic music nonetheless.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torquemada posted:

Me too, but Steam finds a way to circumvent my preferences and advertise poorly translated big titty cat girls fighting demons to histrionic music nonetheless.

Tell me about it. It's less "find a way to circumvent my preferences" and more "just ignore my preferences if Steam feels like it" though. Mostly it's OK, but every so often I'll get some game showing up that was evidently made both by and for paedophiles, Nazis or paedophile Nazis. It's annoying as hell.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kchama posted:

The thing is, none of those are actually considered 'JRPGs' as the term goes but the first. Turn-Based RPG is largely fine, I think, outside of some edge-cases.

yeah no actually a bunch of jrpgs (smt/persona, most final fantasys, etrian odessy for a few examples) fall into other rpg categories and many games people call jrpgs are not turn-based party rpgs because

endocriminologist posted:

Genres are fake fools

no one calls them wrpgs anymore because it's a worthless term and jrpg is just as worthless.

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Mar 10, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
FF is a CRPG (crystal rpg)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Would you call Fire Emblem a JRPG? Disgaea? Because I found it real funny when I realised those are closer genre stablemates to X-COM.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Would you call Fire Emblem a JRPG? Disgaea? Because I found it real funny when I realised those are closer genre stablemates to X-COM.

SRPG

e: I've only ever really used JRPG as a catch-all term when I don't have a more specific option to go with so I don't mind switching to a better alternative

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think JRPG is a derogatory term per se, I understand why the Japanese devs may feel that way but I think that's an overreach. There was definitely a whole lot of racism towards Japanese media, though in my experience the grognard, early millennial/late genx narrative in the late 00s, such as you would often see on this very forum, was more that Japanese media was good in the 90s or before (when the poster in question was a child, just coincidentially) and then became bad. The people bashing Japanese games or anime at that time generally still held like Chrono Trigger or FF6 or Cowboy Bebop or even Evangelion in high esteem, they just did not like where things had gone in the 00s. Lots of complaining and panics about *moe*, lots of discourse around Galapagos Syndrome, until it turned out that all the supposedly Japan-specific insular features like mobile gacha games were like 5 years away from taking over everywhere else

The 00s was just a bad decade in general, I think

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Mar 10, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I call them Pineapple Dressers after Bioshock Infinite

tbf before globalization and fast transportation networks(oh and some sort of preservation that keeps the whole fruit err whole) , having exotic tropical fruit was a sign of wealth . thats why we have a disconnect with fruit baskets being seen as fancy. or some THING dish/dessert being seens as supa fancy.

1%ers in Columbia would hide the expensive fruit away.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think, way back when, you could rent exotic fruits, too, just to class up the joint

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Globalization opened up a whole lot of the fruit market, so it's progressed to exotic fruits being expensive novelty gifts like square watermelon.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
from wikipedia

"Although cube melons were originally created with practicality in mind, the cost is prohibitive. The cube shape of the watermelon can only be achieved at the expense of its contents. To retain the proper shape, cube melons must be harvested before they are ripe, rendering them inedible"

To retain the proper shape, cube melons must be harvested before they are ripe, rendering them inedible"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
PYF: JRPG Name thread: cube melons must be harvested before they are ripe, rendering them inedible