Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the MiG-17 is just a warmed-over MiG-15; Al-Saqr is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Planeies, Trainies amd Tankiemobiles

and lil yachties

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
amazing things are happening in China

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1634160234292736001?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

the US would never

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Kind of shocked at that but Iran is desperate to do anything that can salvage their economy and not have everything collapse. Also, feels like Israel is really banging that war drum and they really do not want a conflict.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Check out any local squares to see some guys have suddenly appeared out of nowhere

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

Kind of shocked at that but Iran is desperate to do anything that can salvage their economy and not have everything collapse. Also, feels like Israel is really banging that war drum and they really do not want a conflict.

i think both sides need a truce, saudi has been largely thwarted and defeated by iran on every strategic battleground but Iran is also dead broke and spent and needs their economy back on their feet.

also wasnt Iran supposed to have a nuke by now whatever happened to the two weeks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

i think both sides need a truce, saudi has been largely thwarted and defeated by iran on every strategic battleground but Iran is also dead broke and spent and needs their economy back on their feet.

also wasnt Iran supposed to have a nuke by now whatever happened to the two weeks.

The nuke, much like Israel's nukes, are invisible.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the negotiations probably started the same time the nuke oogabooga scare stories started

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Talking to any relatives back there or any Iranian and feels like every conversation is how everything is so expensive or no one can afford anything and not sure how long it can last. Definitely desperate for a truce but the mass poisoning of the school girls will kick off another round of protests.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

the sudden quietness is probably a result of them having it

too late now :unsmigghh:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the mass poisoning of the school girls will kick off another round of protests.

im sorry what

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

holy hell that is really good.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

im sorry what

Relatives and people in Iran are also talking about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_schoolgirls_mass_poisoning_reports

Also, there is this as well

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1633854726629367808

but maybe not the thread to talk about this

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol i get that the Iranian government isn't great but why would they just poison students? To what end?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

holy hell that is really good.

its not a miracle cure or anything but hopefully this means both countries are gonna quiet down, whats gonna happen woth those poor yemenis though? does this mean that some sort of settlement is on the cards?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Saudi is also trying to normalize relationships with Israel as well

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1634071612839395331

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think what the world really needs right now is a nuclear powered Mig-17 in every garage.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Borrell said that the EU's ability to impose sanctions against Russia is almost exhausted

quote:

The head of EU diplomacy, Josep Borrell, said that the EU's ability to impose sanctions against Russia is almost exhausted.

“There is not much left that can be done on the issue of sanctions,” RIA Novosti quotes Borrell.

According to him, the EU authorities need to focus on increasing financial and military support for Ukraine

That's not quite true. There's no sanctions on LNG from Russia to the EU. Although they're not going to do that.

EU's LNG imports from Russia see highest levels in 3 years

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DancingShade posted:

I think what the world really needs right now is a nuclear powered Mig-17 in every garage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

Borrell said that the EU's ability to impose sanctions against Russia is almost exhausted

That's not quite true. There's no sanctions on LNG from Russia to the EU. Although they're not going to do that.

Obviously the only course of action is to sanction every country that does and has ever traded with Russia in every capacity. No more imports into the EU for anything. Fortress Europe shall stand proud and alone! Leaders of the civilised world!

(mass starvation ensues as they all huddle in the dark)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

dk2m posted:

When China was first admitted to the WTO in 2001, the ruling class thought that China would become like Japan - we would benefit from cheap labor and cheap goods, but just like the Plaza Accords has kept Japan in stagflation since the 90s after their exports became too competitive with our industry, we would eventually be able to influence a newly liberalized China into a similarly weak position.

Instead of the state weakening as free market forces flooded, they simply re-organized the relationship between capital and state. Capital was always subordinate to the state and nowhere is that more apparent in the fact that their central bank is state owned. This largely prevented a financialized economy from taking shape, which we in the west call a “service economy”. China has also deliberately has kept their billionaire class in check by periodically cracking down on them.

This has completely shocked the West, in which we are so used to a financial oligarchy being the #1 priority, especially after they got bailed out in 2008. The average Chinese therefore supports their government, and the dreams of neoliberals like Bill Clinton never materialized - there was never a moment where we had enough economic leverage over China to force them into a position like Japan in the 90s and Germany/EU now.

It’s not widely understood how the trade surplus affects this as well - Russia, for example, had a trade surplus with the US as they are an export nation due to their rich natural resources. Sanctions work because they prevent countries from obtaining US dollars to their central bank, which ultimately affects their currency and therefore their consumer spending. By seizing Russias foreign reserves, it was thought that it could completely cripple them for that reason. What has ended up happening is that we now are understanding that sanctions work on heavily financialized or debt burdened economies.

Because Russia has prepared for this day since the first sanction in 2008, they had collected vast gold storages and quickly moved to back any trade deficits with gold, preventing a shock. After it stabilized their currency, they went back to their regime of commodity exports and it has completely strengthened their currency. What this now shows is that we’ve entered an age where raw production, commodities, and goods are more valuable than foreign reserves.

This is a lesson we’re unprepared on how to deal with. For the first time, American economic might has not dealt a death blow - Venezuela, Iran, Cuba and North Korea all fell victim. We’ve now shown all the world our cards, and China can confidently project power because not only has the trade war sanctions backfired (Huawei exited the consumer market and has made huge shares in the industrial market), but our sanctions simply won’t work on a natural resource and goods/commodity based economy like China.

40 years of neoliberalism has not prepared any of our leaders, let alone everyday people, to contemplate this new reality. Therefore, our only way to intimidate China is now militarily. It seems that neoliberalism as an economic theory is really over - financialized economies are weak because they have no industry and cannot withstand shocks like a pandemic, nor can they be valuable allies as they have no natural resources or goods of their own to trade. Neoliberal and financialized countries like the UK and Canada are in real trouble because atleast we have a formidable military.

dk2m posted:

The goal of sanctions is to prevent their central and private banks from having any real way to obtain USD and it can be wide ranging, such as cutting them off international financial messaging systems like SWIFT or to banning private citizens from doing business with sanctioned entities.

Since the world economic system is run via the US dollar, and you literally cannot obtain it, you cannot grow your GDP outside of, by definition, criminal means. I've read speculation by some economists that the massive Bitcoin pump and dump in 2017 was North Korea and/or Iran finding a way to obtain USD in a very creative way.

In the most extreme case, such as when we seized Afghanistan's foreign reserves when the Taliban took over, it's caused half their population to enter starvation according to Human Rights Watch:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/08/04/economic-causes-afghanistans-humanitarian-crisis#_How_are_sanctions

Sanctions have knock on effects that go beyond simply banning entities or central banks from obtaining USD - secondary sanctions can sometimes hit, meaning that Afghanistan can't do business with India, because India could become sanctioned by the US as well. The effect is to totally isolate a country from not just the US, but even its regional partners. The consequences are devastating, but they are short of actual genocide. Instead, like in Afghanistan, it's starving them from the inside out.

Another example is Syria, where because of US sanctions, sending aid was exceedingly difficult after the earthquake as secondary sanctions could hit. Enough Arab countries defied the sanctions though that eventually we had to lift it temporarily.

You are right that it can sometimes backfire - sanctions can "force" a country to become self-sufficient because they have no choice. This is what happened to countries like North Korea who developed homegrown weapons and nuclear capabilities. However, doing this is insanely difficult - Iran has shortages of life saving medical equipment because they don't have the industry at home to do so.

Posts worth reading for those who haven't yet.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

OhFunny posted:

We don't want that horrible Russian blood soaked gas anymore...unless they liquefy it and put it on a ship, then it's all good.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wow for betraying your religion and damning yourself to be a slave to israel these whores sure are cheap. but the again what else is new with arab fascists.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

wow for betraying your religion and damning yourself to be a slave to israel these whores sure are cheap. but the again what else is new with arab fascists.

Betray all religions tbh.

But also it's probably just another sign oil is eventually going to stop being as important.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

theyve already done thiis, same with the other gulf states lmfao

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I think they are getting ahead of something and Israel is absolutely gonna strike Iran in the near future. Not sure to what extent, but now is the best time.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

evilmiera posted:

But also it's probably just another sign oil is eventually going to stop being as important.

:gb2gbs:

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Huh guess the Finnish PM just had to go to a Nazis funeral. This dude apparently "joked that he wanted to feed the bones of Russian speaking children to his wolf (yes he had a "pet" wolf)

https://twitter.com/DenesTorteli/status/1634151360621944838

https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1633415480966008832

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

jokes aside, shouldn't nuclear-powered aircraft be possible already?

like, not jets, but you have a nuclear reactor, it generates heat, you apply the heat to water to generate steam, you use the steam to power a turbine, and you direct the work generated to drive a propeller. it works for ship-borne propellers, right?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean nuclear reactors have rather heavy containment shields and planes are built to be lightweight

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

speng31b posted:

if anyone wants a grosse biden on their rap sheet lmk

I'll take one if they're still going.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Desiderata posted:

Oddly praying for another noble last stand for the press to bite their nails over, to be followed by everyone being suddenly "evacuated", behind Russian lines, without their weapons.

i forgot how the media reported the surrender, completely batshit insane

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

like, not jets, but you have a nuclear reactor, it generates heat, you apply the heat to water to generate steam, you use the steam to power a turbine, and you direct the work generated to drive a propeller. it works for ship-borne propellers, right?

Steam aircraft don't really work iirc. Also weight probably.

On the other hand there was a project to do it and an aircraft was made that had a (not powering it yet) reactor on board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_NB-36H

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A Mig-17 that uses nuclear pulse propulsion adapted from project orion, in every garage.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Jel Shaker posted:

i forgot how the media reported the surrender, completely batshit insane

Between that and (as I saw again today) the creatively written mysterious shelling that keeps happening near the nuclear power station articles - they really shattered whatever remained of my faith that the western press and I are trying to describe a common reality.

Edit:

6 turnin' 4 burnin' 1 glowin'

Desiderata has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Mar 10, 2023

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

Steam aircraft don't really work iirc. Also weight probably.

On the other hand there was a project to do it and an aircraft was made that had a (not powering it yet) reactor on board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_NB-36H

you also have to worry about someone strapping a bomb onto the landing gear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLiH4xrCITI&t=305s

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Russia is developing a nuclear-powered cruise missile. Had a setback in 2019 when one crashed, and then several people died while recovering it from the seafloor, and the incident leaked radiation, but they're apparently still working on it.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37191/it-looks-like-russias-nuclear-powered-cruise-missile-test-program-is-back-in-business

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

iirc the americans designed a nuclear ramjet sometime during the early cold war as a loitering nuclear weapons platform

drat thing would have spewed fallout over everything in its path, but that was seen as a bonus

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Project Pluto is funny cause they got to the point of "ok, how do we test fly it safely?" and when the answer was that they couldn't, it was cancelled without ever flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

we've seen what humanity is without god, it's neoliberalism forever with money as the new faith

there's no escape