Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Flipperwaldt posted:

Now there's a turn of phrase that brings back bad memories.

Ah, prom night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It looks like a normal building to me.

e: Oh if it's only liked by a few hundred Americans then that pretty much proves it's something normal.

Yeah, it's pretty normal for buildings that are substantially larger than surrounding structures. It keeps them from looming.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bring Back Jettying

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, it's pretty normal for buildings that are substantially larger than surrounding structures. It keeps them from looming.

This is what I was thinking. If you're walking down the sidewalk, and all of the buildings right next to you on either side are 3 stories tall, that's a very different feeling from if those buildings are 10 stories tall, even if there's 10-story buildings nearby.

I don't know enough about the topic to discourse on what the overall psychological implications are or how it affects the feel of a neighborhood, but I do notice that there's a difference.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is what I was thinking. If you're walking down the sidewalk, and all of the buildings right next to you on either side are 3 stories tall, that's a very different feeling from if those buildings are 10 stories tall, even if there's 10-story buildings nearby.

I don't know enough about the topic to discourse on what the overall psychological implications are or how it affects the feel of a neighborhood, but I do notice that there's a difference.

And people wonder why rent is over 2k for a 1br in Vancouver. Please build with density in mind, we're trying to afford life, not get intimidated by a building (????).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

VelociBacon posted:

And people wonder why rent is over 2k for a 1br in Vancouver. Please build with density in mind, we're trying to afford life, not get intimidated by a building (????).

(This isn't why rent is 2k for a 1br in Vancouver)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i would simply build more houses
oh dang oh gently caress some guy just bought them all and turned them into rentals again

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Surely if we build apartments ugly enough the rents will decrease

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

FISHMANPET posted:

It's pretty common for design guidelines or boards providing discretionary approval of projects to encourage poo poo like "breaking up the massing" because heaven forbid anyone perceive a large building. Everybody, architects and residents alike, think stuff like this looks like poo poo. I think only a couple hundred people in the US even like it, it just so happens those people are the ones sitting on those boards and commissions approving these projects.

Must be more, every HOA architectural review board is stocked with at least a handful of people who think good design only comes in beige with fake shutters.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SpartanIvy posted:

Surely if we build apartments ugly enough the rents will decrease

Maybe if not *every* new apartment building is "luxury apartments" that would help?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Darchangel posted:

Maybe if not *every* new apartment building is "luxury apartments" that would help?

Luxury 450 sq ft 1 bedroom for $1400/mo with no parking included is definitely affordable for everyone.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Darchangel posted:

"Luxury" is code for "Tolerable". Stuff like "I can't hear the neighbors sneeze.", "Climate control that works", and "There's enough space and light here a child wouldn't develop childhood claustrophobia"

Actual luxury property are condos, because its easier to keep the undesirables out when no one can afford a mortgage.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It's only a matter of time before someone builds a capsule hotel in Manhattan and rents them out as luxury studios. $2500/mo first+last+security, don't forget the broker's fee.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

MRC48B posted:

"Luxury" is code for "Tolerable". Stuff like "I can't hear the neighbors sneeze.", "Climate control that works", and "There's enough space and light here a child wouldn't develop childhood claustrophobia"

Actual luxury property are condos, because its easier to keep the undesirables out when no one can afford a mortgage.

My last apartment was newly built and "Luxury" yet I could hear every word the gamer below me spitted out of his stupid face for 12 hours straight everyday. I was actually a bit horrified at how cheaply a building in 2020 could be built, the whole building shook when someone closed their front door.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It does sometimes feel like a lot of effort has been (and still is being) spent on finding out just how cheaply you can make something before it's a legal or economical liability. Old apartment buildings are built like WW2 bunkers compared to anything recent, just because that was a reasonable safety margin at the time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The problem with "affordable" vs. "luxury" housing is that there's one expensive factor that makes it luxury and that's location, and a second vastly cheaper factor that makes it luxury and that's slightly more expensive finishes like granite counters. When you're building a condo or townhome complex or a big apartment building the difference between using cheap vs. expensive finishings is like 1% of the budget. There's no money to be saved by building for a lower budget customer.

What most higher-end, at or above market rate units aren't getting is genuinely higher quality construction. Because that doesn't sell at a premium. Shoppers looking at $750k condos aren't differentiating and paying a premium for the ones that used better, more long-lasting construction techniques. All they want is the nicer neighborhood and the fancier cabinet doors and nicer tile.

There is a square footage factor too, I guess. You could in theory squeeze one or two more small apartments per floor than large ones. But you'd still be choosing between luxury small units vs. non-luxury small units, and there's a market for luxury 2-bd apartments.

That's why governments have to force developers to include affordable units. Which they should.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

raggedphoto posted:

My last apartment was newly built and "Luxury" yet I could hear every word the gamer below me spitted out of his stupid face for 12 hours straight everyday. I was actually a bit horrified at how cheaply a building in 2020 could be built, the whole building shook when someone closed their front door.

Ah, the wonders of five-over-one construction.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Height setbacks are how you avoid urban canyons, which are bad for a variety of reasons.

That building is ugly, but it has nothing to do with the height setback. There are plenty of good-looking buildings that don’t loom over the street.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Platystemon posted:

Ah, the wonders of five-over-one construction.

I see these being built all over the city and it never makes sense to me but I guess I care more about longevity and efficiency over profits so silly me.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

It's in keeping with the other new build across the street, though they used like 7 different facades stacked. I think it's more local city council than architects that want this look.

Ops building is in the back right. The crappy part of construction there is when a plumbers apprentice left a valve for a fridge open on a Friday and we come in Monday to find every unit from floor 19 down flooded down the stack, the day before occupancy lol, lol.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

As long as capitalists are allowed to own housing, it literally literally doesn't matter what the housing is like.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Horatius Bonar posted:

It's in keeping with the other new build across the street, though they used like 7 different facades stacked. I think it's more local city council than architects that want this look.

Ops building is in the back right. The crappy part of construction there is when a plumbers apprentice left a valve for a fridge open on a Friday and we come in Monday to find every unit from floor 19 down flooded down the stack, the day before occupancy lol, lol.

LOL that one looks like the Groverhaus of apartment buildings. Just built it out of whatever cladding was on clearance sale.

It's a TARDIS with a malfunctioning Chameleon circuit. Wild.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
That looks like a flipped image that has been retouched just enough to pass as real.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I like that they gave the house nostrils. But I think that big beige area is wasted space. They really need a mural, preferably with some fat, big boobied renaissance ladies.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

corgski posted:

It's only a matter of time before someone builds a capsule hotel in Manhattan and rents them out as luxury studios. $2500/mo first+last+security, don't forget the broker's fee.

American society couldn't make capsule hotels work. They only seem to work in places with a completely different set of social and behavioral norms.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Height setbacks are how you avoid urban canyons, which are bad for a variety of reasons.

That building is ugly, but it has nothing to do with the height setback. There are plenty of good-looking buildings that don’t loom over the street.

oh my god this isn't a real problem. canada is a developed nation, act like it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Slanderer posted:

American society couldn't make capsule hotels work. They only seem to work in places with a completely different set of social and behavioral norms.

You have not been in a Manhattan apartment I take it. 80sq ft, 5th floor walkup, no kitchen or common space, shared bathroom and shower. 2000/mo. People would absolutely pay a premium to have a smaller space but laundry service and bath towels.

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 10, 2023

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Chicago has a long history of capsule hotels. But there are only a few surviving. Here's one for $19/night in the heart of downtown!

And the story!
https://newrepublic.com/article/161808/ewing-annex-hotel-housing-crisis-chicago

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Slanderer posted:

oh my god this isn't a real problem.

It isn't a problem if you don't care about the heat island effects and air quality issues that are directly caused by urban canyons.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
"Urban canyons" are if nothing else worth avoiding for the fact that they are super drab and oppressive and are loving horrible to be stuck in if you live somewhere urban.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New York City’s continually shifting ordinances gave structures like the Chrysler Building character as architects did their best to work within them.

Your big little city isn’t going to get to get a Chrysler because you cargo‐culted some dumb rules.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Platystemon posted:

New York City’s continually shifting ordinances gave structures like the Chrysler Building character as architects did their best to work within them.

Your big little city isn’t going to get to get a Chrysler because you cargo‐culted some dumb rules.

:ok:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Personally, I would rather the facade pretends to be several buildings if the alternative is one monolith of the same repeating pattern from ground floor to the top like something from a 1995 video game.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The rules work only insofar they shake up the game.

Is Formula 1 ever going to hit a perfect ruleset is safe and just works and will be used season after season? No, of course not. The sport is only interesting because teams have to come up with creative solutions on the regular.

Sometimes the rules fail. A few years back, all the F1 cars had limp dicks for noses because that was the most ærodynamically favorable shape that checked the boxes. NYC had the World Trade Center, which was allowed to be exist as two giant middle fingers to God because it had a plaza around it so technically on paper it wasn’t looming over the street.

When your town’s buildings look like the ones upthread, your town has failed.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 10, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

WTC style plazas are a perfectly good answer to the problem of "squeezing streets in between two skyscraper tall glass walls is undesirable", but you can't always fit that. Pulling the tallest part back from the street is not a bad idea, but there are more or less ugly ways to realize it.

Or you can go full "the streets have sunlight at the equinox, when they line up right" dystopia, of course - but there are real reasons that's best avoided.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A more recent example of the rules leading to interesting buildings is 432 Park Avenue.

The engineering and sociopolitical problems with it are many, but having a slenderness ratio of fifteen? Now that’s interesting.

It’s also nakedly gaming the rules by having extensive “mechanical floors” that legally don’t count propping up its height.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm not expert at all in this, but I remember hearing long ago that buildings in NYC are limited in their height, but they can "sell" the height they don't reach to other buildings. So one really tall building limits the height of many other buildings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah the developers of 432 Park did that.

The Skyscraper Museum has an exhibit on this with a webpage that sort of poorly explains it.

It sucked off the “air rights” from the buildings on the right to maximize its gains.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Uthor posted:

I'm not expert at all in this, but I remember hearing long ago that buildings in NYC are limited in their height, but they can "sell" the height they don't reach to other buildings. So one really tall building limits the height of many other buildings.

This article sums it up nicely: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/05/super-tall-super-skinny-super-expensive-the-pencil-towers-of-new-yorks-super-rich

In addition to the mechanical floors adding 'extra' height, some have super high lobbies (60' ceiling height) to add some extra height that doesn't count legally.