Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
they have forgotten the stain of their fathers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

that porch fence is going to look great as all those pieces of wood start to warp and bend in different directions

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We're looking around in areas with 19th century rowhouses right now and it's loving impossible to find anything nice because they're remodeled to HGTV standards for sprawling suburban houses and it fucks them up entirely.

We looked at a place last weekend that had enough room on the second floor for two modest bedrooms, a modest office, and a normal size bathroom. They redid it to have two gigantic bedrooms with walk-in closets and a gigantic bathroom with a double vanity and another walk-in closet. Doing so meant that the only bathroom in the house was captive to one bedroom and the stairs to the third floor "office" were captive to the other.

Complete lovely waste of space but you checked off the HGTV boxes, go you

They also completely neglected the box gutters so the brick was damaged from leaks and the wood supporting the gutters is completely hosed up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess staining the wood adds 1000s in labor and material so no beuno

Apr 7, 2003

it's okay to have a closet you stand outside of and put things into / remove things from, they do not all need to be walk-in closets

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it's okay to have a closet you stand outside of and put things into / remove things from, they do not all need to be walk-in closets

McMansion ALL the things houses!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
How does anyone afford to put 20% down when starter homes begin at $360k. That's over 70k in cash. What the hell is wrong with this world.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
A 800 square foot with 300sq. ft finished basement split level is now on the market for $387k in my town and I'm kind of mad.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

A Bad King posted:

How does anyone afford to put 20% down when starter homes begin at $360k. That's over 70k in cash. What the hell is wrong with this world.

20% is a myth, everyone puts down 3.5-5% and always has

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

A Bad King posted:

you make twitter techbro money or put down <5%

or your parents put the downpayment

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

looks like one of those “come play my lord” adverts for lovely mobile games

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Xaris posted:

you make twitter techbro money or put down <5%

or your parents put the downpayment

how do i afford the mortgage payments when I only make $80k at that point lol

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

A Bad King posted:

Just have your parents give you 70k, easy peasy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Spergin Morlock posted:

half your pay goes to the mortgage, a lot to health insurance and utilities, then put everything else on credit cards. simple as

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

A Bad King posted:

life insurance payout or inheratence lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I thought 20% was how people did it when cashing out a starter home for a suburban McMansion

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

life insurance payout or inheritance lol

i did just learn recently that my dad has fronto-temporal dementia. fingers crossed!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

i did just learn recently that my dad has fronto-temporal dementia. fingers crossed!

Good news! Dementia is really good at taking forever to finish the job and also requiring a ton of care. It’s one of the best ones if you want to see somebody’s assets complete consumed providing end of life care

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

A Bad King posted:

Judging from my coworkers and friends, it's either parents or crypto/asset bubble money

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Good news! Dementia is really good at taking forever to finish the job and also requiring a ton of care. It’s one of the best ones if you want to see somebody’s assets complete consumed providing end of life care

doh

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Glibness aside dementia is an absolutely heartbreaking thing to watch and op my heart breaks for you and your family. It was much easier to watch my grandmother get devoured by cancer than my great aunt slowly melt into nothingness

Apr 7, 2003

We just found a place my wife likes and if we move our mortgage will go from $700 a month to $2850. Very exciting

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We just found a place my wife likes and if we move our mortgage will go from $700 a month to $2850. Very exciting

VP of my division will pay moving expenses to be across the state closer to the main office and I told him when interest rates are cut in half. I ain’t moving to a place with a worse commute and higher mortgage .

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Glibness aside dementia is an absolutely heartbreaking thing to watch and op my heart breaks for you and your family. It was much easier to watch my grandmother get devoured by cancer than my great aunt slowly melt into nothingness

I haven't spoken to the guy in almost 20 years so... whatever lol

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

A Bad King posted:

you save up. its strange to expect to own a home at 24 with no kids or whatever. my wife and i saved for several years and have the money to put down 20%+ and then the market went loving batshit and starter homes are selling for 450k. currently. with 6% interest rates. so guess what, we can put down the 20% still but cant RATIONALLY afford the payment. when people are paying 40% of their pretax income toward housing you've got a loving time bomb economy yet it just keeps chugging along.

i have a lot of animosity toward the folks who bought homes over the last 4 years.

homes as investment vehicles is part of what's wrong with the world, the remainder was 14 years of the fed ejaculating free money all over rich folks faces.

Ammanas has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Mar 10, 2023

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

owned

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Most people aren't putting down anywhere near 20%, although the median down payment isn't down near 3% for any age group, either:

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/average-down-payment/#by-generation

Saving a 20% down payment was a pretty unattainable goal for a lot of people even at prices from 5-6 years ago. Unsurprisingly, the people putting down the largest down payments are people who are old enough to likely be transferring equity from an existing home.

Skyrocketing prices also arguably make saving for a large down payment a very poor strategy. Home prices will run away from you unless you're a very high earner and you'll just end up paying more than someone who put down less and jumped in earlier.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Most people aren't putting down anywhere near 20%, although the median down payment isn't down near 3% for any age group, either:

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/average-down-payment/#by-generation

Saving a 20% down payment was a pretty unattainable goal for a lot of people even at prices from 5-6 years ago. Unsurprisingly, the people putting down the largest down payments are people who are old enough to likely be transferring equity from an existing home.

Skyrocketing prices also arguably make saving for a large down payment a very poor strategy. Home prices will run away from you unless you're a very high earner and you'll just end up paying more than someone who put down less and jumped in earlier.

one weird trick to save 80k: dont spend it

and that last portion is literally real estate agent speak. its financial idiocy across an entire nation. and it absolutely loving worked and nothing has been rationally-priced for 4 years. welcome to Everything is an Investment and Infinite Growth is Real Nation. real interested to see 2008 replay in slow motion except this time there isn't a giant mountain of free money for the fed to poo poo out anymore because who would be stupid enough to buy that debt???

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I don't know what you want me to say. Real estate has been an "investment" for as long as anyone posting in this thread has been alive. Everyone posting here also agrees that housing as an investment is wildly stupid, but we can't change reality.

The last couple of years are not unique. Home prices took a tiny dive after 2008 and then set their sights on the moon again by 2012, so "housing number go up" has not been an unforeseeable event for at least the last decade. Nothing was rationally priced four years ago, either.

edit- my house pre-pandemic was worth almost double its lowest post-2008 value. that's not rational. nothing about the american housing market has been rational in like 40 years.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

yeah heheh

an absolute house of cards economy that should not exist yet keeps on going

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

before rate hikes it worked like this for a brief couple years:

house worth $350k
first time homebuyer puts down ~5%, or around $20,000
now you own a home, with an interest rate on your mortgage of 3%
it costs you roughly $1,800 a month.

so if you managed to scrounge that down payment you’d be able to afford it vs spending that down payment on rent over the next two years because it went up $1500 a month, and never buying a house because interest rates are now 7%. if you took all the numbers above but swap the interest it now costs you $2800 a month

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ammanas posted:

i have a lot of animosity toward the folks who bought homes over the last 4 years.

but isn’t this really self hatred because you could have bought a house with 5% down

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i am harry posted:

but isn’t this really self hatred because you could have bought a house with 5% down

yes and have a 3% interest rate. we are FOOLS

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

everyone tells themselves that housing prices can't keep going up forever but reality don't give a gently caress

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

it’s nuts to think that if I had had my 2020 income in 2019, I could have bought a home. instead, I did not, and despite my income continuing to increase the opportunity to secure a home flees from me

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

everyone tells themselves that housing prices can't keep going up forever but reality don't give a gently caress

yeah, prices are never ever going down again, not even like they did for a brief moment in 2008-2009. If they do the entire game falls apart. lol

Rates went from 3.5% to 7% 2021-2022 and prices around here still went up 18%

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
houses pretty much exist to earn money for companies that can turn them into rentals or airbnbs.

although new home sales have plummeted. the housing market is in the process of crashing but lol a crash just means it goes down 5-6% from its previous high. you have to have a rich uncle or something die and leave you a ton of money but then you're on the housing treadmill

also ill never move again because I got my house at 3% interest and I can't afford to triple my mortgage payment every month and I couldn't rent an apartment for what I pay in mortgage.

lmao @ america

Apr 7, 2003

I live in a neighborhood that's about 1.4 square miles, not near anything special or cool and not special or cool in and of itself. It has 49 airbnb properties. that's 49 houses that people could actually buy to live in, but aren't allowed to.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Mar 10, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
also it's illegal to build anything but detached single family homes because olds and suburbcucks start going abloo bloo bloo muh property values as soon as you mention building anything but more suburban hellscape. this despite the fact that housing prices never go down and you could turn the house next to mine into a literal crack den and i'd still net six figures selling my 800 sq ft house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spacemang_spliff posted:

also ill never move again because I got my house at 3% interest and I can't afford to triple my mortgage payment every month and I couldn't rent an apartment for what I pay in mortgage.

lmao @ america

I'm in this same situation and it's honestly a little upsetting to me. I realize my extreme privilege to have been able to buy a house 6 years ago for half the price of now, then refinance it 3 years ago at insanely low interest rates, but also a lot of that is just that I'm getting older.

The youth are hosed.