Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you're pushing 40 - my ukmt.xlsx doesn't have ages on it - a possibility might be gallstones. I don't know if your tests included that at all?
Also liver pain isn't usually like what people would imagine, pain in the liver area. It's often either radiating up and behind your shoulders, or general nausea/sickness, or no pain at all until it starts really failing.

Pain in the side that your liver is on is more likely IBS or diverticulitis or any of many things that can happen with your intestines.

Alcohol is terrible for your gut as well as your liver though so it's still a good reason to stop drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1634208636699279366

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

So 'being a oval office' is now a protected characteristic, cool

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
BBC will now only air the documentary Nigel Farage's Foreign Planet, 6 hours of him staring at the sea off Kent and speculating about which boats are foreign and what Greeks get up to.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Cancelled by the woke mob

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1634191754885832705

:allears:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Venues that aim for a younger and, in all honesty, more inclusive crowd have been places where I've seen a good selection of non-alcholic drinks. Craft beer places selling v expensive fancy IPAs with silly names are starting to get pretty good at having a solid non-alcoholic range, but arty or queer venues are where it's at for entire fridges just full of interesting non-alcoholic options, tea menus longer than the beer list and such.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Disturbing reports that Nature is Trans and Woke now

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Shout out to all the people either quitting or slowing down their drinking. I tapped out of that about 8 years ago along with smoking and any drugs and have not regretted it.

I still hate exercise though, guess I need to do something about that...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Evolution is giving kids hormones now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Exercise does suck though, the trick is to have something else you want for which exercise is the means.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Iran & Saudi Arabia to resume ties.

I can see this upsetting a few people around the world!

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iran-saudi-arabia-agree-resume-ties-re-open-embassies-iranian-state-media-2023-03-10/

quote:

4 minute readMarch 10, 20233:10 PM GMTLast Updated 19 min ago
Iran and Saudi Arabia agree to resume ties after years of hostility

DUBAI, March 10 (Reuters) - Iran and Saudi Arabia agreed on Friday to re-establish relations after seven years of hostility which had threatened stability and security in the Gulf and helped fuel conflicts in the Middle East from Yemen to Syria.

The deal was announced after four days of previously undisclosed talks in Beijing between top security officials from the two rival Middle East powers.

Tehran and Riyadh agreed to resume diplomatic relations and re-open embassies within two months, according to a statement issued by Iran, Saudi Arabia and China. "The agreement includes their affirmation of the respect for the sovereignty of states and the non-interference in internal affairs," it said.

etc

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Exercise does suck though, the trick is to have something else you want for which exercise is the means.

Or find the exercise that works for you. I have got satisfyingly fit doing 15 min yoga most mornings, and I enjoy it.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

No not all encryption is equal.

Signal is king, whatapp is pretty good too. Both use the same open source protocol.

WhatsApp is slightly less trustworthy being owned by Facebook (or whatever they call themselves now) and have more data on who you are etc, but in terms of the content of the actual messages being sent, they are the same.

So if you are just chatting with friends then WhatsApp is fine. If you are organising protests or anything like that then i would strongly recommend using signal instead as it has more advanced security and privacy features.

Awesome, thanks - for some reason I'd got it in my head that Signal was message only.

I was on the lookout for something different for screen sharing too - Discord's privacy is terrible, although it's where most of my mates congregate. I was thinking of trying Tox ( https://tox.chat/ ), although the lack of an iOS app will put some of my mates off. Hmm, maybe we should just use Jitsi.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I just really love the stink of chlorine, I dunno if it's something from my childhood or if the smell is just really comforting on its own. In any case when I cba exercising I try to imagine immersed in a steamy hot chlorine cloud and going swimming feels a lot less like a hassle

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Going back a page or 2, but there's something especially insidious about the way he says 'escaping poverty.'

Reminds me of a half-remembered bit in the Adrian Mole books where his dad finds out he's been reading about communism and chucks the books in the bin because "I worked my arse off for years to get out of the working class" or something like that.

For some people the desire to escape poverty is less about survival, and more about getting out of the bucket so you can point and laugh at the other crabs.

Everything that comes out of that oval office's mouth just makes me hate him more, he's going to be unbearable when he finally backstabs Starmer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

we should all become labour mps to escape poverty

all 66 million people inside the commons yelling at each other

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"I'm a class traitor and so can you!" by Wesley Streeting.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

we should all become labour mps to escape poverty

all 66 million people inside the commons yelling at each other

i've licked boris' taint twice for a spot on his honours list. cannot recommend

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Magic Mushrooms can apparently help massively with curbing alcoholism (though don't take them at the same time as drinking, probably).

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/psychedelic-magic-mushroom-ingredient-could-help-treat-alcohol-addiction-180980658/

quote:

In the new study, 93 patients took part in two medication sessions that were separated by four weeks. Each participant received either psilocybin or a placebo without being told which one they got. During their sessions, they were “encouraged to lie on a couch wearing eyeshades and headphones providing a standardized playlist of music,” write the authors. Patients also had 12 psychotherapy sessions—four before receiving any medication, four between the treatments and four after the two doses.

About half of those who received psilocybin stopped drinking altogether eight months after their first dose, while about 24 percent of the placebo group quit drinking.

It's probably just an extension of the thing I've talked about before where they can allow you a level of self-insight you're normally not able to reach. It's like you're stepping outside of yourself and you can see and analyze your own behaviours more rationally, and see more clearly what you really want out of your life and how you might get there. For some things it makes things that should be really obvious (like maybe "All this drinking is actually making me feel awful, I should cut that poo poo out"), seem really obvious and clear to you, which makes it much easier to act on. Sometimes it's really easy to get caught up in behaviour that you *know* is bad for you and maybe others around you, but still find it difficult to stop, and a psychedelic trip can be like a slap in the face that wakes you up to it all.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Like I said to Owlie earlier, it was, in fact, a psychedelic experience that led to me making the final decision to quit :)

(It wasn't shrooms, it was 2C-B - an all-together milder, more manageable and more "shallow" psych compared to psilocybin, by all accounts, and a relatively low dose at that - but it did exactly that. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw how tired I was from carrying this thing around with me, and I felt sorry for myself [exceptionally rare for me!], and I decided to relieve myself of the burden I've been humping around for twenty years)

EDIT and once again, thanks to everyone for their perspectives, kind words, and for the open and nuanced discussion. It's good to talk about this, even if I've found it painful at times to do so

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/anitathetweeter/status/1634231804180692992

BBC have sacked Lineker. Glad he stuck to his guns after being completely loving right.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I know the woman who runs this and it loving sucks

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

This is mountain biking for me. It's the perfect blend of exercise, getting out into nature, mindfulness, pushing boundaries and just loving fun. Exercise is definitely a by product of it but I enjoy it so much, it's crazy how much it's benefitted my overall health.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

BBC have sacked Lineker. Glad he stuck to his guns after being completely loving right.

Ffs.

The guy who's famous for publicly making GBS threads his shorts and picking chunks of poo out and flinging them around the pitch , and yet somehow he is the dignified one and the entire British media and government are the ones doing the pants-making GBS threads

E: and yet when Lineker was posting anti-Crumblyn tweets a few years ago the BBC didn't care?

Surprised Pikachu with a little SS hat and armband on

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 10, 2023

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

gently caress the BBC, the double standards on display here are absolutely beyond belief, and if Suella Braverman doesn't like being compared to Nazis, then perhaps she needs to stop being a fascist oval office. Lineker was dead on with what he said.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
In a compassionate act of contrition, the UK government realizes that is recent rhetoric has caused great damage to the nation and allows Gary to continue presenting Match of the Day. The immigration bill gets through parliament with Labour abstentions. Everyone screams for one thousand years.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mattuthompson/status/1634238341683003421?s=19

Corrupt as gently caress

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Things are getting spicy

https://twitter.com/ianwright0/status/1634243318723821576?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hell yeah

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

drat straight, good on him.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Michael Gove and Jacob Rees Mogg to host MOTD

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

happyhippy posted:

Michael Gove and Jacob Rees Mogg to host MOTD

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like I could somehow speak more authoritatively on the foots ball than those two.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Barry Foster posted:

Like I said to Owlie earlier, it was, in fact, a psychedelic experience that led to me making the final decision to quit :)

(It wasn't shrooms, it was 2C-B - an all-together milder, more manageable and more "shallow" psych compared to psilocybin, by all accounts, and a relatively low dose at that - but it did exactly that. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw how tired I was from carrying this thing around with me, and I felt sorry for myself [exceptionally rare for me!], and I decided to relieve myself of the burden I've been humping around for twenty years)

EDIT and once again, thanks to everyone for their perspectives, kind words, and for the open and nuanced discussion. It's good to talk about this, even if I've found it painful at times to do so

Ahhh sorry mate I missed that. Good on you anyway. Glad to hear you're making a positive change, and I wish you all the best.

E: Oh, for what it's worth, my parents at one point were drinking 2 bottles of wine a night between them, every single night, while I was living with them. I had a word with them about it and pointed out what the government guidelines were for drinking - I think at the time it was maybe like no more than 20 units a week? Anyway they were each drinking 70... and to their credit they did massively cut down, then I think maybe they quit for a while, and then they went back to just having a single drink sometimes when they went out for a meal (which was maybe once a week), and that worked for them. I understand that it's safer to go teetotal if you have been truly addicted but I guess some people are able to cut back to just drinking small, healthy (well, there's no actual healthy level of drinking but you know what I mean) amounts.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 10, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

Which does make me worry what the people protesting all too much about kids being taught about sex and relationships and consent are up to in the shadows.
ding ding ding

(In Maryland, but still looks good for my wider theory that people who can't imagine how someone could teach kids about sexuality without thinking of them sexually is because they also can't make toast in the morning without thinking of fiddling kids.)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boris drumming 'hilariously' on a watermelon whenever a Black player does anything.

Nads asking "so is he a Zulu or the other one?"

Let's find out! *screen cuts to Michael Gove with a set of calipers"

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Failed Imagineer posted:

Disturbing reports that Nature is Trans and Woke now
you joke, but

narture program has woke agenda because it received funding from a known far-left activist group, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

WhatEvil posted:

Ahhh sorry mate I missed that. Good on you anyway. Glad to hear you're making a positive change, and I wish you all the best.

E: Oh, for what it's worth, my parents at one point were drinking 2 bottles of wine a night between them, every single night, while I was living with them. I had a word with them about it and pointed out what the government guidelines were for drinking - I think at the time it was maybe like no more than 20 units a week? Anyway they were each drinking 70... and to their credit they did massively cut down, then I think maybe they quit for a while, and then they went back to just having a single drink sometimes when they went out for a meal (which was maybe once a week), and that worked for them. I understand that it's safer to go teetotal if you have been truly addicted but I guess some people are able to cut back to just drinking small, healthy (well, there's no actual healthy level of drinking but you know what I mean) amounts.

Yeah, I'm not ruling out a different relationship with alcohol one day, especially because so much of the abuse comes from either self-destructive impulses or an inability to cope with difficult feelings or situations, both of which I'm actively working on in therapy.

But that day will be a long time and a lot of brain rewiring and habit modifying away from now, if it ever comes