Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked the first two Creed films and will watch the third at some point.
It's funny that the Creed films are the most serious instalments in the franchise but the core of the emotional drama comes from the events of Rocky 4, the one with 30 minutes of montages, a talking sexbot, and Rocky punching out communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
The boys are just so excited that it isn’t COMPLETE trash and has a story that isn’t completely disjointed deus ex machina that they got a little excited. The bar is so completely low.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's not like original Star Trek set a high bar, it was mostly trash

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ptier posted:

The boys are just so excited that it isn’t COMPLETE trash and has a story that isn’t completely disjointed deus ex machina that they got a little excited. The bar is so completely low.

it’s still complete trash, it’s just not also on fire like seasons 1 and 2 were at this point

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Jennifer Lawrence must need money to want to star in that. absolutely none of that story is viable in 2023.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/thebatfilm/status/1633854397217411072?s=20

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

bitterandtwisted posted:

I liked the first two Creed films and will watch the third at some point.
It's funny that the Creed films are the most serious instalments in the franchise but the core of the emotional drama comes from the events of Rocky 4, the one with 30 minutes of montages, a talking sexbot, and Rocky punching out communism.

Is that the one with the Soviet anthem? That's the only segment I have ever watched on cable by accident from the Rocky franchise. I was mighty impressed by the that, I thought it was cooler than any wrestling entrance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/thebatfilm/status/1633854397217411072?s=20

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Andro Dunos posted:

Avery Brooks is crazy as gently caress and hasn't acted in 17 years.

Not sure why I spoilered that since every Star Trek fan will instantly know who I'm referring to.

Guessing Patrick Stewart, right?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm kind of all tapped out on the idea of bothering with another streaming service, but I have to admit I'm starting to want to watch Picard season 3. It probably won't happen just due to laziness more than anything else. But I'm usually pretty tolerant of dumb plot stuff as long as the characters feel good.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So instead of copying King of Comedy and Taxy Driver they are now going to be copying Scorsese's mafia movies?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is that the one with the Soviet anthem? That's the only segment I have ever watched on cable by accident from the Rocky franchise. I was mighty impressed by the that, I thought it was cooler than any wrestling entrance.

Yep! It's one of the worst Rocky movies but also one of the best because of the incredible campness, plus Ivan Drago is the best Rocky baddie.
IP Man 2 is the same movie done more seriously

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Until I watched the first one, for YEARS I thought it was a movie about, like, a Man who was from Ip, or it was an IP placeholder, or something.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Internet Protocol Man

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Soviet Union in the 80s, make the best foreign villain. Nothing come close.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

*hastily covering up mustache and trying to cover up my German accent* Da!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

I personally think the nazis were the worst but you do you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cool

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Intellectual Property Man

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

orrr maybe he isn't in costume?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I personally think the nazis were the worst but you do you.

Not really what they're saying.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
"Best" as in coolest or most suitable to make in action figure toys.

See Arnold played a Soviet official and made it fun. Can he play a Nazi and still make it fun?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 10, 2023

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm kind of all tapped out on the idea of bothering with another streaming service, but I have to admit I'm starting to want to watch Picard season 3. It probably won't happen just due to laziness more than anything else. But I'm usually pretty tolerant of dumb plot stuff as long as the characters feel good.

I've been watching it. I want to enjoy it (and I think I should enjoy it?) but am incredibly scared because it could turn to poo poo at any minute. So I find myself looking everywhere for signs of doom.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

If you want a villainous world power that's irredeemable evil, and your hero has to win by shooting at it enough, you want Nazis.

If you want a villainous world power that is evil, but redeemable, and your hero can win by finding common ground, you want Soviets.

You can do the first version with Soviets if you want, but you can never do the second version with Nazis.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Great news for things I like today. Red Dwarf was always one of those things where it disappears for years on end before resurfacing again. Well, it turns out there was a rights dispute between the guy that kept making the show and the guy who didn't want to anymore. Sounds like they're settling it by allowing each guy to split the canon and each make whatever they want at the same time. If only other scifi properties could be so lucky.

https://twitter.com/RedDwarfHQ/status/1634162231951736833

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you can also do the Brits

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Lister posted:

Great news for things I like today. Red Dwarf was always one of those things where it disappears for years on end before resurfacing again. Well, it turns out there was a rights dispute between the guy that kept making the show and the guy who didn't want to anymore. Sounds like they're settling it by allowing each guy to split the canon and each make whatever they want at the same time. If only other scifi properties could be so lucky.

https://twitter.com/RedDwarfHQ/status/1634162231951736833

Quite an odd announcement.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Jennifer Lawrence must need money to want to star in that. absolutely none of that story is viable in 2023.

idk why people were convinced she was this incredible actress, she was fine in a few movies and then did two big franchises with forgettable films, then got upstaged by Amy Adams in American Hustle / appeared in a godawful no pun intended Aronofsky movie. I'd put her on the same level as Olivia Munn lol.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Why the hell was this greenlit

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I honestly thought it was Richard Kind at first.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Noam Chomsky posted:

Because Joker made bank.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lister posted:

I think it's more that boxing is a sport that lends itself well to personal drama and a climactic end. It could be about anybody, but today everything has to be related to an IP that people recognize to get greenlit. Major studio sports movies aren't really getting made anymore anyway, but I feel like the ones I'm seeing the most recently are about fighters or wrestlers.

Yeah the Rocky connection just isn't that important and the movies would have been just as good if they were originals

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 10, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

idk why people were convinced she was this incredible actress, she was fine in a few movies and then did two big franchises with forgettable films, then got upstaged by Amy Adams in American Hustle / appeared in a godawful no pun intended Aronofsky movie. I'd put her on the same level as Olivia Munn lol.

It's like Jay said in the HitB where they reviewed American Hustle: she's not very believable in most of her "serious" roles because she always comes across like a kid who's playacting as a grownup.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Noam Chomsky posted:

Do you really think this is the most absurd Batman TV series?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Pennyworth got three loving seasons

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gripweed posted:

Do you really think this is the most absurd Batman TV series?
It’s a series?

Edit: Lol it’s a series.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

Had that great breakout role in Winter's Bone and then fairly quickly won an Oscar, although I'd argue it was a weak field.

Jessica Chastain wasn't all that good in Zero Dark Thirty. Wallis was, like, 10 years old at the time. Watts and Riva were in movies absolutely no one saw.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah the Rocky connection just isn't that important and the movies would have been just as good if they were originals

After Creed 3 didn't have Rocky at all and seemed to be better for it, I kinda wonder if Creed 1 would have been better off without him. Creed 2 probably would have been, although I think a lot of the problems with that one was in Creed's plot, not Rocky's or Drago's.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

After Creed 3 didn't have Rocky at all and seemed to be better for it, I kinda wonder if Creed 1 would have been better off without him. Creed 2 probably would have been, although I think a lot of the problems with that one was in Creed's plot, not Rocky's or Drago's.

Like so many other recent films it probably would have been at least a little better as a fullblown standalone instead of being a Rocky tie-in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm glad rich and Mike are enjoying nudarktrek :)