Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
"constantly deliver at the high-quality standards"

Nothing like grammar mistakes in your job description asking for quality workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's a perfect microcosm of CInG's sloppiness and incompetence. Even tiny things like half the bullet points ending in periods while half don't (not that there is a standard for this, just that it should at least be consistent) and flipping the job title halfway through speak to it being lazily copy-pasted from somewhere else.

Also I am not sure it is actually an indicator that Tony Z is out, I don't think he's the Lead Economy Designer really, they're not replacing him, he's the stupid boring unworkable ideas man and the backers love his gibberish - one thing I stick by is that these people aren't going anywhere, this is their last job, they're not gonna get fired and why would they ever leave. He'll hang around, he'll collect money, and he'll deliver no value, like the rest of them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If he's not the Lead Economy Designer and his only role is ideas guy who generates sales by selling dreams.txt then he's doing a pretty poor job cause nobody has seen him in years. Not saying you're wrong but the amount of people who just seem to be hanging out at CIG collecting a pay check is high. You could argue that's really the entire company but I think they make the new people actually do busy work.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

pun pundit posted:

Not only can you freely add to endless development, you can also subtract as much as you want. If the schedule is infinity, you can say you are weeks, months, or years ahead of schedule without lying.

I'm sorry, I'm high right now and this loving blew my mind.

(sorry for being a cliche).

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqbo9enBSG1qejbir.mp4

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

New Golgot just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2EBZW7kN1o

Tony Z has seriously been making Peter Molyneux's bullshit Milo E3 presentation but drawn out for an entire decade.

Also, for those in there like, wondering why we follow this poo poo, for real take a look at this video. These people are loving crazy. I'm surprised I can ever turn away.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Good to see there’s finally some genuine talent and creativity at work in this project.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Popete posted:

If he's not the Lead Economy Designer and his only role is ideas guy who generates sales by selling dreams.txt then he's doing a pretty poor job cause nobody has seen him in years. Not saying you're wrong but the amount of people who just seem to be hanging out at CIG collecting a pay check is high. You could argue that's really the entire company but I think they make the new people actually do busy work.

I bet Tony Z spends a lot of his work day in meetings. Long, long, excruciatingly long meetings, made even longer every time he opens his goddamn mouth. I'd also bet that probably nothing essential or even vaguely useful ever comes out of those meetings, but that describes most meetings anyway, even outside the Clown Imperium.

Overall I think CIG's in the phase of the death march where all the new people are on teams assigned to tasks that simply can't be completed, so they're all just spending their weeks trying to look busy and produce literally anything that they can show their manager that could be construed as some kind of progress, as well as generate plausible-sounding excuses that will shift any blame away from them. Those managers then put together reports to make sure their team doesn't look like the worst one. The next level of managers massage all the reports to make it all sound more optimistic (or at least, less apocalyptic) before passing it up the chain, and at the highest level, everyone's so loving bored with the project and out of touch with the actual work that they just barely pay attention and occasionally pass down orders to complete more tasks that can't be done, because that's how you show you're in charge.

But the money's still coming in, I guess, so there's no reason for any of it to change. It ain't like there's anyone expecting them to release a game, after all.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I bet Tony Z ‘works’ five hours a week, tops.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
3.18, set to drop before the holidays, coming on new years, slated for january 15th, expected to launch last weekend, is now being targeted for release on march 9th. is everyone prepared?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

New Golgot just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2EBZW7kN1o

Tony Z has seriously been making Peter Molyneux's bullshit Milo E3 presentation but drawn out for an entire decade.

Man that bedsheet deformation at the ending… get hype!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

:gary:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Popete posted:

lol if Tony Z hero to the Citizens is out I am curious to see if there is any fallout. So much has been pinned on his Quantum economy mumbo-jumbo.

This role would be under Tony. They handed him a Director level title (Director of Persistent Universe) because he's in charge of a lot more nonsense than just the economy gibberish, that just happens to be his favourite thing.

Well either that or quanta.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
They want impeccable Excel skills but the rest of the post is about databases. They're using spreadsheets for their databases

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Kavros posted:

3.18, set to drop before the holidays, coming on new years, slated for january 15th, expected to launch last weekend, is now being targeted for release on march 9th. is everyone prepared?

Look, this release has the implementation of Persistent Entity Streaming which is critical for Server Meshing so they can’t rush it ok?

Hey guys we updated and said early morning last night but we forgot it’sTGIF so we’re looking at next week. - (CIG in about 3 hours, probably)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Sorry but I'm dragging things back to toxic-land for a sec.

The policy of probing TERF language ('women's rights vs trans rights' etc) is all cool and good. For a space thread. For anywhere.

But if discussion of how some TERFs arrive at their beliefs, while explicitly disagreeing with those beliefs, is classed as hate and endorsement then things are slightly hosed up.

Ditto if implying that there are scales of TERF vitriol, and that using 'Nazi' & 'I'm going to slice you' rhetoric against the lower end isn't a great look, ends up in the same bin.

I've got no idea how bridges can be built between the two camps. But I do know they need to be somehow over the long term. (Because it's the TERFs that are going to be out there lobbying against trans rights the hardest in the real world). And I do know that the above reactions aren't building blocks in that bridge.

The SC thread has always had a sideline in pushing back at groupthink, so this doesn't feel totally unfitting. Even though I'm sure we'd all rather everything was cool, and to just be joking about SC. And I'm sure I'll get called an rear end in a top hat and worse for raising any of it at all.

Another probe for derailing is all fine. (Any serious/comedy claims of transphobia less so, but so it goes.)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
In SC news, they're adding bugs as a feature...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nzNXY8dlg&t=341s

(And content deprivation is doing odd things to the marketing team...)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pixelate posted:

The SC thread has always had a sideline in pushing back at groupthink, so this doesn't feel totally unfitting.

Telling bigots and the people who try to rationalise why it’s justifiable for them to have bigoted ideas to shut the gently caress up and gently caress off out of communities that don’t want bigots in them isn’t groupthink, it’s just the right thing to do, hth.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pixelate posted:

I've got no idea how bridges can be built between the two camps. But I do know they need to be somehow over the long term. (Because it's the TERFs that are going to be out there lobbying against trans rights the hardest in the real world). And I do know that the above reactions aren't building blocks in that bridge.

"We need to work together and build a bridge with the people actively creating the chasm!"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

This thread was back on track laughing at dumb CIG stuff and yet people just can't help defending someones bigoted take from 3 weeks ago. If you can't accept that making anti-trans remarks on the Something Awful forums will result in a probe then just move on already, there are tons of video games forums on the internet where that stuff is accepted but not here.

Also I guess I'll just quote myself again cause we apparently can't figure this out.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, I guess it depends on what "it" is. Praise? Hell no. A giftwrapped box full of enraged scorpions? Weeeeeell...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Popete posted:

you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Sure you do. Just pull the pin first and run like hell. Under those circumstances they should be handed it…

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pixelate posted:

Sorry but I'm dragging things back to toxic-land for a sec.

The policy of probing TERF language ('women's rights vs trans rights' etc) is all cool and good. For a space thread. For anywhere.

But if discussion of how some TERFs arrive at their beliefs, while explicitly disagreeing with those beliefs, is classed as hate and endorsement then things are slightly hosed up.

Ditto if implying that there are scales of TERF vitriol, and that using 'Nazi' & 'I'm going to slice you' rhetoric against the lower end isn't a great look, ends up in the same bin.

The SC thread has always had a sideline in pushing back at groupthink, so this doesn't feel totally unfitting. Even though I'm sure we'd all rather everything was cool, and to just be joking about SC. And I'm sure I'll get called an rear end in a top hat and worse for raising any of it at all.

Another probe for derailing is all fine. (Any serious/comedy claims of transphobia less so, but so it goes.)
If someone who used to be a bigot of any kind gets therapy and proves, both through their words and their actions that they're no longer a bigot, by helping undo the hurt they've caused, and by helping prevent future hurt, I'm absolutely willing to forgive them for what they've done.

At the same time, I don't think it's necessary or even prudent to try to reach out to people who show themselves through their words or actions to be bigots - because the chances of that out-reach ending up as a success are so infinitesimally small that I'd rather spend my limited energy doing anything else.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
What the hell is this, when did Star Citizen decide to add Cronenberg mechanics

Also kind of questioning why human eyeballs growing on machinery doesn't run up against the super realism goal or whatever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

At the same time, I don't think it's necessary or even prudent to try to reach out to people who show themselves through their words or actions to be bigots - because the chances of that out-reach ending up as a success are so infinitesimally small that I'd rather spend my limited energy doing anything else.

The onus of responsibility for people to stop being assholes is on them. I have no sympathy for the poor stupid TERFs who say they have to be coddled into not being enormous shitheels.

“Be nice to me or I’ll only get more bigoted! :qq:” nah fam you were gonna do that anyway, gently caress off on outta here

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nancy posted:

Also kind of questioning why human eyeballs growing on machinery doesn't run up against the super realism goal or whatever.

Also, this rules. :eyepop:

Bug? Feature? ¿Por que no los dos?

Novaspectra
Jan 20, 2020

History Comes Inside! posted:

Telling bigots and the people who try to rationalise why it’s justifiable for them to have bigoted ideas to shut the gently caress up and gently caress off out of communities that don’t want bigots in them isn’t groupthink, it’s just the right thing to do, hth.

As a short term response to simply ensure sure a community isn't populated with toxic people, this maybe the right thing to do. Especially as there are already forum rules in place, that explicitly state that anti-trans views will not be tolerated.
And this will be the case elsewhere too, not just here.

But in the long term, this strategy doesn't work. It ends up pushing people into a corner, isolating them and strengthening their resolve. They will then seek solidarity with people who hold similar views, and this causes further problems for trans people. Organised idealogical groups, working in tandem with influential celebrities peddle the anti-trans position using faux moral panic, and whipped up social media hysteria. This in turn can easily condition impressionable people down a very unsavoury rabbit hole without them realising it. These people are often merely ignorant and misinformed, and can be easily turned back onto the right path with some sensible discourse, and in the long term this is far more helpful.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Pixelate posted:

I've got no idea how bridges can be built between the two camps. But I do know they need to be somehow over the long term.

It's simple really. You build the bridge and invite the TERFs over as an act of good faith.

You then bomb the poo poo out of the bridge when the TERFs are crossing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Novaspectra posted:

As a short term response to simply ensure sure a community isn't populated with toxic people, this maybe the right thing to do. Especially as there are already forum rules in place, that explicitly state that anti-trans views will not be tolerated.
And this will be the case elsewhere too, not just here.

But in the long term, this strategy doesn't work. It ends up pushing people into a corner, isolating them and strengthening their resolve. They will then seek solidarity with people who hold similar views, and this causes further problems for trans people. Organised idealogical groups, working in tandem with influential celebrities peddle the anti-trans position using faux moral panic, and whipped up social media hysteria. This in turn can easily condition impressionable people down a very unsavoury rabbit hole without them realising it. These people are often merely ignorant and misinformed, and can be easily turned back onto the right path with some sensible discourse, and in the long term this is far more helpful.

This is The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games sub-forum nobody owes it to anyone to unpack why they said something bigoted. It was dealt with by mods in a timely manner and that really should be the end of it.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Dewgy posted:

Also, this rules. :eyepop:

Bug? Feature? ¿Por que no los dos?

If it was a focused horror game focused on biotech monstrosities on space ships I'd be all over it (lol Dead Space)

I'm trying to imagine the gameplay loop of SC where you have 'Engineers' running around ships trying to fight these things, space races, space combat, commercial space liner movie selecting, drink mixing mechanics, high fidelity sleep pods, etc. and I just can't do it

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Nancy posted:

stimpire.jpg

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Popete posted:

It was dealt with by mods in a timely manner and that really should be the end of it.

Star Citizen's kickstarter will be 10 years old in less than a month. In another 10 years Squadron 42 still won't have been released. And 10 years after that, people will still be randomly defending a terrible response to criticism about a bad comparison to another stupid game every third page

Nancy posted:

That Vending Machine from Atomic Heart had a bad day, apparently.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 10, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Won't lie, I'd be more interested in Star Citizen if it included stuff like bioships and techno-organic horror.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Lexx the MMO

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

A sense of ownership is the best way to keep people invested in any mmo posted:

In SWG I had a house.... A business...and a responsibility to keep it all going. That is what kept me logging in every day. Give me a reason... make me feel like I need to log in.... Thats the secret.

quote:

Yes and no. Some people dont like the forced daily interaction that some games have been pushing. If I want to step away for a week or if im deployed for 6-9 months I dont want my progress to be hampered by "fixing" stuff caused by my absence.

Good content and gameplay are what's needed. Not daily missions and character maintenance.

quote:

There you should be some house-keeping for a planned extended absence just like in real life, you would empty the the refrigerator, freezer and turn off the mains water supply if you knew you were leaving your home unoccupied for an extended period.

We will also have the option to share owned assets with other players, so it becomes about who you trust.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yes shared assets in a video game surely that will not cause problems.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Like I would ever trust a star citizen.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Another example of dumb poo poo most other games have obfuscated appropriately. MMOs already have housing degradation in the form of a timer you need to log in for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

The problem with SWG wasn't that no one wanted to be a moisture farmer, it was that you should have had to check your moisture farming utilities for mold. Just collecting water every day is highly unrealistic
:goonsay: