Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

evilweasel posted:

is it good with money to reassure the depositors at your bank they have no reason to panic

asking for a friend

<checks ticker>

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Sundae posted:

I think how is bbby formed was actually a thread title too. That or a good recurring joke :D

(How) BBBY Was Made

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1634039856924860416

sidenote: what happened to cramer's voice?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Posting Cramer here is cheating.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

He's been 24/7 wasted since 2021. Or he suffered some sort of brain damage around then. Possibly both.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
perhaps he recognizes the terrible, terrible ridiculousness of a widely broadcast tv show that purports to get you alpha

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Apparently the Inverse Cramer EFT has finally gone live. 1.5% fees though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
highly active management, they gotta watch his show and twitter feed and snap trade every day

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

highly active management, they gotta watch his show and twitter feed and snap trade every day

They should probably up the fee.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sundae posted:

I think how is bbby formed was actually a thread title too. That or a good recurring joke :D

I think it is too but wasn't going to pass up on the opportunity to say it again.

e: BBBY Was Made: how can I take out a mortgage in my son's name?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

The first director of my current department at work left to go work for them.

As did his handpicked successor, and the entire management team from his site.

I'm not shocked this is happening.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i've lived in the bay area for a decade+ now.

this is the first time i've heard of this bank.

but also if you told me there was a bank that only really catered to startups.

i would have said, that sounds incredibly risky.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they dont do retail customers at all. no retail branches

they dont actually loan to the startups they take deposits from the startups

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
...and now it's gone.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1634222320398086145
should i be taking my money outta my chase bank account???

they dont do retail customers at all. no retail branches

they dont actually loan to the startups they take deposits from the startups

i said what i said.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It catered to VCs.

And for the FDIC to be acting this aggressively there is a poo poo ton of exposure that we don't know about yet. Strap in.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
So realistically a ton of SV companies had their payroll money in there and are about to lose a fraction of it,yeah?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Motronic posted:

It catered to VCs.

And for the FDIC to be acting this aggressively there is a poo poo ton of exposure that we don't know about yet. Strap in.

FDIC is also used to dealing with a few bank failures a year, most of which are also of the Second Bank of Jim Bob, with three branches and seventeen depositors variety. Having multiple billion plus cap banks fail in a week is very much not within their normal pattern. Of course they're spooked.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

So realistically a ton of SV companies had their payroll money in there and are about to lose a fraction of it,yeah?

almost by definition very few that youve heard of

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

almost by definition very few that youve heard of

Sure, but a lot of tiny companies still adds up. Assuming the FDIC acted fast enough they'll probably get most of their money back eventually but it's about to be an awkward few months.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Silver lining- Peter Thiel's VC fund might have lost a huge chunk of money.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
Even if you didn't directly use SVB, if your company uses Rippling for HR payroll, you aren't getting paid today.

https://twitter.com/parkerconrad/status/1634237386564730882

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
A lot of startup founders were emailed yesterday afternoon to get their money out. It was an old fashion bank run.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

From 2015:
https://archive.is/O9G2b

At Silicon Valley Bank, risky tech start-ups are lucrative business.

quote:

Silicon Valley Bank often requires founders to hand over small ownership stakes in return for more favorable credit terms. Profits on equity warrants — options to acquire stock cheaply — can yield big profits when companies go public.

The bank, for instance, recorded a $23.6-million gain on warrants in the second quarter, including $13.9 million related to the initial public offering of FitBit Inc., the maker of fitness-tracking wristbands. Gains on the tactic have exceeded losses on early-stage loans over the last 10 years, the bank said.

So seems like they do loan to startups. Maybe there was some kind of analysis done before. Just to me being from here, catering almost entirely to startups you know are risky seems like a bad idea. It's all good until it's not.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the underlying ostensible cause is treasuries getting more expensive, not startup credit failures. so just the second domino, not the last

charles schwab, boa and wells fargo are looking vulnerable according the the equities markets. i bet charles schwab next

banking! what a business

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 10, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what a fuckin day for matt levine to take off (he tries to take every friday off i know)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Twerk from Home posted:

Sure, but a lot of tiny companies still adds up. Assuming the FDIC acted fast enough they'll probably get most of their money back eventually but it's about to be an awkward few months.

NYT article seems to imply they were dumping the money into long term government bonds, so at least on the surface it doesn't appear like a "oops, we went all in on FTX" type implosion.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

NYT article seems to imply they were dumping the money into long term government bonds, so at least on the surface it doesn't appear like a "oops, we went all in on FTX" type implosion.

Yeah they got whacked by rising interest rates, which makes the sale price of bonds go down if you don't hold the bond to maturity. Ordinarily this is fine unless your depositors all ask for their money back at once, so you have to sell your bonds at a big loss, and then whoops all your equity is wiped out and your bank is dead.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

bergeoisie posted:

Even if you didn't directly use SVB, if your company uses Rippling for HR payroll, you aren't getting paid today.

https://twitter.com/parkerconrad/status/1634237386564730882

Yep, my company (non-startup/non-VC funded) uses Rippling for payroll, we’ve been told they’re trying to get everyone paid by the end of the day but I’m not holding my breath.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pipistrelle posted:

Yep, my company (non-startup/non-VC funded) uses Rippling for payroll, we’ve been told they’re trying to get everyone paid by the end of the day but I’m not holding my breath.

oof that sucks, sorry you're dealing with that.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a bunch of people are getting rippled off

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

tater_salad posted:

oof that sucks, sorry you're dealing with that.

Thanks, I’ll be fine either way, but I did have a call earlier with a coworker where they started crying in the middle of it, so it’s been a fun day.

Pipistrelle fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 10, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

what a fuckin day for matt levine to take off (he tries to take every friday off i know)

He didn't manage to pull it off.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah just saw it lol

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75kHq9cHSEg

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If I was a distressed financial institution, I'd spend the last of my money paying Matt Levine to not plan to take the day off

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Bad With Money: shorting Matt Levine's PTO rollover

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

I can't believe that Silva Valla Vack wasn't a big money play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

I can't believe that Silva Valla Vack wasn't a big money play.

Cramer used to do a damned radio show. Now he can barely enunciate an entire sentence.