Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yea bro its crazy out there bro, i have to shoot like twenty guys a day bro c'mon you can trust me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Leader Xi just brought Iran and Saudi Arabia together

Now lets hope he can bring Ukraine and Russia together

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Maybe they used it to hit the power plant that got taken out, but its warhead size is about the same as a Kaliber. Maybe the Ukrainians are making hay for F-16s? It seems a bit of a pipedream at this point.

Looking at that video of that Ukrainian convoy...probably a little bit of projection going on.

...yeah. Where those guys leaving the front or going in?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

life is cheap in the orient (russia, asiatic society)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

...yeah. Where those guys leaving the front or going in?

It seemed like the destroyed convoy was trying to leave, and the high schoolers were being sent in.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

going to have to clarify to me which side is doing this

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

There's no way Ukraine lasts that long at this rate

Gonna go ahead and make a classic CSPAM prediction that the war is going to end by Christmas on Russia's terms

America will spin this up to WW3, the world will end, on OUR terms.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

going to have to clarify to me which side is doing this

all sides :unsmigghh:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

georgia is interesting to me because it just felt like a libertarian paradise/hell hole with zero rules and a strong live and let live attitude, with people aware that russia next door / squatting in their living room meant that while there is a super pro ukraine sentiment among the country, business as usual meant do not gently caress around with russia

i guess all you need is a few thousand nato ultras in the capital and you can cause problems

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
isnt 2-3 magazines standard issue for a russian infantryman with an AK

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

I thought that was a standard amount for infantry everywhere.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

It is probably going to be more 5-7, but this war has been pretty non-standard (that said, perhaps the Second World War wasn't that standard when you got down to it).

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I thought that was a standard amount for infantry everywhere.

us outside the wire minimum standard when I was in eons ago is 200+ (7 mags is 210) rounds per rifle and around double that if you expect to be shooting. and lots more for the saw gunner.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea bro its crazy out there bro, i have to shoot like twenty guys a day bro c'mon you can trust me

he personally murdered entire columns with grenade launchers and bazookas.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Soon the ukrainians will be smothered under a heap of a hundred thousand russians and putin's sinister plan will pay off. drat him

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Best Friends posted:

us outside the wire minimum standard when I was in eons ago is 200+ (7 mags is 210) rounds per rifle and around double that if you expect to be shooting. and lots more for the saw gunner.

american soldiers need lots of bullets to make up for their lack of high speed low drag shovels

you only need 2-3 magazines when the rifle is your backup weapon *taps head*

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

as someone who has friends that make boasts like that in the bar, “200 enemy” usually equals 1 camel, some shrubs, maybe a shed.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Best Friends posted:

6 + 1 on the rifle for myself, but besides, being an artillery battery we had GPMGs, GMGs, .50s and recoilless rifles foist on us for self-defence, (where they were packed into trucks).

Small arms don’t mean poo poo but also the Russians made so many of those bakelite AK-74 magazines and literal mountains of 5.45 ammo, that it’s a bit ridiculous to say that it’s even conceivable they wouldn’t have enough to hand out.

Which means it’s just The Enemy at the Gates thing again. They would have to be given only x magazines out of evil Asiatic contempt for human life, because even the Red Army infantryman of 1989 carried more.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

a better question is how that dude even knows how many mags the enemy soldiers have on them

like, is there a mandatory break between the human waves so that he can go over and count, or?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah they only have 2-3 mags but how many shovels do they have

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

It seemed like the destroyed convoy was trying to leave, and the high schoolers were being sent in.

I was thinking that was probably the worst possible outcome

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's awesome that people actually believe this stuff. loving 200 lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

remember these types think 300 was the ultimate war film

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
drat my entire army doesnt even get 200 infantry kills in a match of coh3

heck i dont think i even manage it that often in warno

Ukrainians are just the best soldiers in the world, they will have so much to teach us and become NATO trainers when this is all over

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

6 + 1 on the rifle for myself, but besides, being an artillery battery we had GPMGs, GMGs, .50s and recoilless rifles foist on us for self-defence, (where they were packed into trucks).

Small arms don’t mean poo poo but also the Russians made so many of those bakelite AK-74 magazines and literal mountains of 5.45 ammo, that it’s a bit ridiculous to say that it’s even conceivable they wouldn’t have enough to hand out.

Which means it’s just The Enemy at the Gates thing again. They would have to be given only x magazines out of evil Asiatic contempt for human life, because even the Red Army infantryman of 1989 carried more.

The argument would go something like this, I'd guess: There are literal mountains of ammunition in Siberia, but as we know from the tire scientist (remember him?) all the trucks are broken so they can't get them anywhere.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OctaMurk posted:

drat my entire army doesnt even get 200 infantry kills in a match of coh3

heck i dont think i even manage it that often in warno

Ukrainians are just the best soldiers in the world, they will have so much to teach us and become NATO trainers when this is all over

they're just better

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

The argument would go something like this, I'd guess: There are literal mountains of ammunition in Siberia, but as we know from the tire scientist (remember him?) all the trucks are broken so they can't get them anywhere.

I just came to that realization, but the delivery needs to be 200% smugger and allude to “water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink” because the orcs are so bad at logistics their soldiers don’t even have the arms stockpiled in heaps back at Isengard.

“No it’s not silly and contradictory, it just shows how incompetent they are”.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you just need a strong shovel so you can bat bullets away as you rush your enemy like in “the ballad of buster scruggs”, 2 clips is enough

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

genericnick posted:

orks have no trucks but also still shoot 20,000 artillery rounds a day on average :hmmyes:

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Danann posted:

orks have no trucks but also still shoot 20,000 artillery rounds a day on average :hmmyes:

there is a daisy chain of orks running from the factory to the guns

the further away it gets from the factory, the more orks are needed, so any further advance into ukrainian territory are going to lead to orkpower shortages

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
work work

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If the report about 2-3 mags were true (no reason to believe it is), the simpler answer would be that Wagner is a PMC being cheap, not that the Russian government runs low on rifle ammo or trains.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Ytlaya posted:

Wasn't there a lot of confusion around this earlier in the war where people were reporting instances of "200 dead and 300 wounded", which was just a misunderstanding based on 200 and 300 being the codes for a fatality and a wound, respectively

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

September: Speira cuts aluminum production by half.

Speira will shut down aluminum smelter this year.

quote:

Europe Loses Another Smelter as Energy Crisis Leaves Deep Scars
Mark Burton
~4 minutes
Source: Bloomberg
March 9, 2023, 9:36 AM UTC
Updated on March 9, 2023, 1:31 PM UTC

Another European aluminum smelter is closing, in a fresh sign of the damage wrought by an energy crisis that’s hammered the region’s industrial economy and crimped supplies of critical raw materials.

While power prices have retreated sharply from last year’s peaks, Speira Gmbh will shut its Rheinwork plant in Germany this year due to challenges in the energy market, the company said Thursday. That follows a 50% cut in aluminum production announced in September as soaring power and gas prices plunged Europe’s energy-intensive metals industry into an existential crisis.

Some smelters have been ramping back up in recent weeks, but the Speira shutdown is the latest sign of the obstacles politicians face as they seek to prevent a further wave of deindustrialization. They are also looking to shore up local supplies of critical industrial raw materials as global supply chains become more fragile.

The European Commission will aim to produce at least 40% of its annual consumption of strategic raw materials by 2030, Bloomberg reported on Wednesday, citing draft legislation that’s due to be presented to politicians later this month.

The document didn’t detail the commodities it will target, but in 2020 the EU identified 30 strategically important raw materials, many of which play a critical role in renewable energy, electric vehicles, aerospace and defense. Bauxite — the mined ore that aluminum is derived from — was included in the list, although the metal itself wasn’t.

For decades, the global aluminum market has been plagued by oversupply, but events of the past few years — including the US-China trade war, the invasion of Ukraine and Europe’s energy crisis — have underscored the fragility of global supply chains. That’s highlighted the dangers of the West’s growing reliance on imported supplies from major producers such as China and Russia.

Aluminum is one of the most energy intensive metals to produce, and European production capacity has fallen by more than half since the start of the energy crisis. Many plants have dialed back production, but others including Norsk Hydro ASA’s Slovalco plant in Slovakia and Alcoa Corp.’s San Ciprian plant in Spain have stopped producing entirely.

Smelters in Crisis | Aluminum prices still barely cover the spot cost of power for smelters

Like those plants, the Speira smelter will be placed on long-term care and maintenance, and could reopen eventually if the economics improve, a spokesman for the company said by phone. Yet restarting a smelter is slow and costly, and some plants in the region that closed in prior downturns have never reopened.

In January, the European metals industry’s main lobbying group warned that further long-term financial support is needed to help the region keep control of raw materials that are critical to the green-energy transition. In addition to the ongoing threat posed by high energy prices, Europe is at risk of losing out to the US in attracting investment, due to the billions of dollars in subsidies available through President Joe Biden’s controversial Inflation Reduction Act, the group said.

Speira will now focus solely on recycling and processing aluminum into value-added products, it said. While the decision to close the smelter will affect about 300 employees, the company will deliver all contracted sales to its customers, replacing the curtailed production with external metal supplies.

just the loss of some lower manufacturing i'm sure it's nothing.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Jel Shaker posted:

georgia is interesting to me because it just felt like a libertarian paradise/hell hole with zero rules and a strong live and let live attitude, with people aware that russia next door / squatting in their living room meant that while there is a super pro ukraine sentiment among the country, business as usual meant do not gently caress around with russia

i guess all you need is a few thousand nato ultras in the capital and you can cause problems

Russia is not squatting in Georgia's living room, it is defending 30 year old independent states from the territorial ambitions of their larger neighbour.

Frosted Flake posted:

e: We had some Palestinian Catholics come to my Parish recently and let me tell you… if there was a Palestinian IRA I could send money to, I would. gently caress Israel.

That's just Hamas.

Regarde Aduck posted:

'staging', what does that mean?

Azov did Bucha as a false flag theory.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Weka posted:

and someone in the SBU said this?

like it's a giant can of worms i ain't touching but gently caress i don't know what to make of it anyway

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Weka posted:

Russia is not squatting in Georgia's living room, it is defending 30 year old independent states from the territorial ambitions of their larger neighbour.

That's just Hamas.

well yeah but they have a whole “war of russian aggression” section in stalins museum even, so they’ve got their own little historical revisionism project going on right now

also now i remember it they also have a mini victims of communism section in their national museum lol, lots of “things were going swell until those soviets rudely kicked out our humble aristocrats who loved charity and puppies”

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

If the report about 2-3 mags were true (no reason to believe it is), the simpler answer would be that Wagner is a PMC being cheap, not that the Russian government runs low on rifle ammo or trains.

lol I know you went through infantry school or whatever and know better than this. It is more expensive, ultimately and even immediately, in a variety of ways, to not provide the resources that would bring battlefield success. The Bakelite magazines were designed to be cheap, 5.45 is cheap. It is cheaper for Wagner, the Russian military and anyone else involved to hand out ammo than to pay the cost in blood and treasure for a stalled out attack.

Say the Wagner group has to pump the brakes on a section attack because they don't have enough ammo to shoot the enemy off the position. Calling for fire costs the price of the shells and propellant - which is greater. Then of course is all of the other costs. The opportunity cost of a battery tasked with that that might be firing other missions, which means another attack runs into trouble, pensions to troops wounded that might not have been otherwise, benefits to widows so on and so on etc. It's incalculable, obviously, but as an axiom, ammo is cheap, lives (and failure) are expensive.

I'm not saying that's always understood in peacetime, obviously, but as every child knows:

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

e: I realize you said "no reason to believe it is (true)". So, this is just to address the idea that "well, they're cheap" is more or less finding reasons to believe Ukrainian rehashing of Wehrmacht mythology after the fact.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

That's just Hamas.

Admittedly, the current government has been pretty passive on the issue, it is a bunch of rebel rousers on the streets that want to redraw the map.

Honestly, the sense I got from Georgians is a lot of them dont’t even really mind Russians or Russia and really just don’t want another war but like every country you got a nationalist fringe that don’t want anyone looking at their financial connections.