Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I appreciate a large number of musicals while recognizing that they are mostly extraordinarily corny, and if that's a problem for you, give something like Carmen a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2snTkaD64U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm a bit surprised that I never really gave theater a shot (either as a school activity or as a grown-up hobby) considering how often I will randomly burst into song for a few moments at a time in my daily life. Must be my high school band DNA, which probably has some strong similarities to high school theater DNA.

I'll never forget the time my wife turned on the filmed version of Hamilton as a curiosity when it first came to streaming, and the look of absolute disgust that crept over her face as she realized that she was not only watching a musical, but a musical about American history, probably her least favorite topic of human culture. I think she noped out during a part where King George III is singing about something?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's a musical and the plot is soap opera drivel set in the world of the Wizard of Oz. It's fine if you like it but let's not pretend this is high art.

What’s wrong with soap operas? I don’t understand the undeserved derision. To me it just sounds like more “this is for chicks, ew” toxic bs to me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

What’s wrong with soap operas? I don’t understand the undeserved derision. To me it just sounds like more “this is for chicks, ew” toxic bs to me.

Nothing as long as everyone is in their underwear and they’re doing moonsaults and elbow drops off of the top rope.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

Nothing as long as everyone is in their underwear and they’re doing moonsaults and elbow drops off of the top rope.

I’ll give you a top rope stinky leg drop brother!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

At risk of sounding like Maude Lebowski, Wicked has some real bangers, but the story is kind of a big nothing.

it's this. musicals are a fun form of entertainment.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

I’ll give you a top rope stinky leg drop brother!
:wink:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

C-Euro posted:

I'm a bit surprised that I never really gave theater a shot (either as a school activity or as a grown-up hobby) considering how often I will randomly burst into song for a few moments at a time in my daily life. Must be my high school band DNA, which probably has some strong similarities to high school theater DNA.

My brother is 10 years older than me, and watched me a lot when I was growing up. He regularly listened to musical soundtracks in the car, which gave me a Jason Bourne "why am I an expert on this?" moment when I tagged along to watch the movie Chicago in high school, and knew all the words to every song. Pretty sure I didn't even realize the movie was a musical going in, much less one that I had osmosed entirely into my brain.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

I appreciate a large number of musicals while recognizing that they are mostly extraordinarily corny, and if that's a problem for you, give something like Carmen a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2snTkaD64U

*mops brow* Oh my

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah my family all loved musicals when I was growing up, but I hated them. Nowadays I have some nostalgia for a few things like mary poppins and victor victoria but mostly they were a turnoff and I thought at the time it was a combination of the extreme corniness and a sort of "hey everyone look at meeeee" vibe?

But I loved Phantom of the Opera when I saw it in my early 20s. And then I suddenly figured it out. I just disliked the music style common to a ton of musicals, in particular the stuff my family was constantly watching in the 1980s. A ballet is basically a musical but without the chorals (usually) and with more dancing and as a kid I liked the Nutcracker and as an adult I loved Stravinsky's Firebird and it was like, ohhhhh. Yeah I mostly don't care much for your sort of traditional folky chorus music with a simple tune and dominated by talky lyrics, the broadway style is like a super exaggerated corny talky folk song.

School of Rock? Yeah sure fine! The Pick of Destiny? Hell yes. The feature film length Yellow Submarine movie, the Beavis & Butthead Do America movie (which is a musical, lmao), yeah sure.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
From what I remember about Wicked’s story, it’s a fun take on the other side of The Wizard of Oz. Like, you’re capping the level of seriousness when the premise is “what if the beloved movie’s villain, literally named The Wicked Witch, is a good person?”

But most of my memory from seeing it from almost three years ago to the day is pounding double IPA’s while thinking about Tom Hanks and Rudy Gobert coming down with some new disease.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I got Hamilton Tix for April

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hating andrew Lloyd Webber is good and natural.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Musicals are dope and they’re (as well as most genuinely live performance) is something that I feel most folks should prioritize experiencing

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just saw Wicked two weeks ago. Had ridiculously good seats too, they were Patron tickets that were released last minute, so we sat center box in the seats normally reserved for the person the entire theater complex is named after. It was fun, but I thought the Galinda wasn't great, I saw it maybe 7 or 8 years ago and she was much better. Also, yeah its a musical, I don't think anyone is claiming it to be the highest form of entertainment known to man. Hell, musical theater in general is laughed at on the hierarchy of pretention or whatever.

In other news wife got offered the job in Wilkes-Barre PA, so we have a deadline on making a decision. The downside is its in Wilkes-Barre, the upside is 40k in loan repayment per year. Also, means leaving behind my passion fruit vines :( No clue on what I would even do there as I doubt there are a lot of research facilities in the area.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah my family all loved musicals when I was growing up, but I hated them. Nowadays I have some nostalgia for a few things like mary poppins and victor victoria but mostly they were a turnoff and I thought at the time it was a combination of the extreme corniness and a sort of "hey everyone look at meeeee" vibe?

But I loved Phantom of the Opera when I saw it in my early 20s. And then I suddenly figured it out. I just disliked the music style common to a ton of musicals, in particular the stuff my family was constantly watching in the 1980s. A ballet is basically a musical but without the chorals (usually) and with more dancing and as a kid I liked the Nutcracker and as an adult I loved Stravinsky's Firebird and it was like, ohhhhh. Yeah I mostly don't care much for your sort of traditional folky chorus music with a simple tune and dominated by talky lyrics, the broadway style is like a super exaggerated corny talky folk song.

School of Rock? Yeah sure fine! The Pick of Destiny? Hell yes. The feature film length Yellow Submarine movie, the Beavis & Butthead Do America movie (which is a musical, lmao), yeah sure.

I'm a musical theater dork. I've played Raoul in Phantom, Inspector Javert in Les Mis and Che in Evita (Javert was my favorite role to play, by far). Some of the best times of my life.

But I get why the style turns people off.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I usually hate musicals because I hate the music in them. I'm not 100% against musicals because I like Little Shop of Horrors, and I have a soft spot for Music Man because we watched that a ton when I was a kid. I think I watched 30 seconds of Hamilton once and I had to immediately stop.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Musicals are dope and they’re (as well as most genuinely live performance) is something that I feel most folks should prioritize experiencing

Yeah I saw Waitress, which isn't even that good, on Broadway a few years back and was just kind of blown away by the overall experience. It's like the NBA of singing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

General Dog posted:

I got Hamilton Tix for April

Me too.

We saw the Wicked touring production. It was fine. I'm not really a musical theater guy, but my wife loves them, so I try to make sure we can catch shows when they come to town.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This is probably unfair to say, but I feel like every post I see on the forums about Hamilton is "I hated the premise of this show and everyone who likes it going in, and after watching 3 minutes of it I confirmed I was right." Which, that's fine, it's okay to not like a thing and it's okay for to not have any desire to engage with certain forms of entertainment, but basically any entertainment is going to ask that you meet it halfway, so to just dip in on something and immediately declare "well, this was exactly as lovely and stupid as I imagined" as a subjective value judgement is kind of a poor-faith move.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1634241729866940425

Whoops. $161 billion in capital gone, 93% of it FDIC uninsured.

A ton of stupid techbros and their apps are broke today, so I guess here comes a bailout.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

dirty shrimp money posted:

A ton of stupid techbros and their apps are broke today, so I guess here comes a bailout.

I don't think Biden wants the image of bailing out Silicon Valley, and I really doubt Republicans are in the mood for passing a bailout either. They're probably hosed unless they carried like some sort of supplemental insurance.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Im not into musicals but im not going to poopoo on anyone who likes them. Not everyone likes fishing or baseball or whatever dumb things im into.

Im trying to be less judgmental. I hope it sticks.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't think Biden wants the image of bailing out Silicon Valley, and I really doubt Republicans are in the mood for passing a bailout either. They're probably hosed unless they carried like some sort of supplemental insurance.

Biden has not given a poo poo about optics and is a total slave to capital. I’d be surprised if they didn’t start the money printer anew.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Not a musical fan by any stretch, but the movie Sing Street is gosh darn adorable and I’ll absolutely Stan for it

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I enjoy all the animated musicals my daughter watches.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Im not into musicals but im not going to poopoo on anyone who likes them. Not everyone likes fishing or baseball or whatever dumb things im into.

Im trying to be less judgmental. I hope it sticks.

Biden has not given a poo poo about optics and is a total slave to capital. I’d be surprised if they didn’t start the money printer anew.

Maybe I missed something, but I have never seen Biden care about Silicon Valley venture capitalists. If we were talking an auto company or some manufacturers, then I could see it. I just don't think this particular group is high up on his list.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

General Dog posted:

Yeah I saw Waitress, which isn't even that good, on Broadway a few years back and was just kind of blown away by the overall experience. It's like the NBA of singing.

I totally agree on both points. When I saw Waitress, after Ogie asked Dawn out, Ogie does a standing front flip as he’s leaving the set, already behind the scenery in such a way only my side of the theater could even possibly see him. He was just showing off!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Maybe I missed something, but I have never seen Biden care about Silicon Valley venture capitalists. If we were talking an auto company or some manufacturers, then I could see it. I just don't think this particular group is high up on his list.

Oh he’s an 80 year old codger, he certainly doesn’t specifically give a poo poo about SV specifically but I’d be surprised if he didn’t go out of his way to ameliorate any knock on effects of its failure.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Musical theatre is a good time, but it’s not for everyone. Implying that it is somehow lesser (not high art) and people who like it are stupid (easy to outwit) just because you’re not into it is childish as all hell. gently caress off with that poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Coco13 posted:

I totally agree on both points. When I saw Waitress, after Ogie asked Dawn out, Ogie does a standing front flip as he’s leaving the set, already behind the scenery in such a way only my side of the theater could even possibly see him. He was just showing off!

Haha he must've done it every time.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

Musical theatre is a good time, but it’s not for everyone. Implying that it is somehow lesser (not high art) and people who like it are stupid (easy to outwit) just because you’re not into it is childish as all hell. gently caress off with that poo poo.

If it makes you feel better I have less respect for you simply because you dislike seafood :v:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh yeah no, I am not a fan of musicals at all but it's absolutely a me thing. I can appreciate the techincal aspects and the acting and singing can be great, it's just that Broadway musicals are not for me. I love Bollywood and some shows that are about music too. The early seasons of Nashville and Empire are fun and I've been enjoying George and Tammy where the music is a center piece. Like I have no real issue with Hamilton outside of being forced to listen the soundtrack repeatedly for months between the hours of 6:30-7:30.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Its Rinaldo posted:

If it makes you feel better I have less respect for you simply because you dislike seafood :v:

Thank you. I also have terrible taste in rugs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

dirty shrimp money posted:

The vast majority of my wife's startup funding is held by this bank so RIP our asses (though our personal finances are not in SVB, natch).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

they'll get paid out at least a portion of the amount over $250k as the bank's various assets are liquidated

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was just coming in here to say that, since we're discussing it in one of the BFC threads, lol pmchem

yeah there's not going to be a "bailout" because this is 100% routine, the FDIC has handled thousands of bank bankruptcies, the unusual thing here is just the size and prominence of this bank. They take over the bank; all FDIC insured deposits will be available on Monday, depositors with money beyond that amount are also immediately going to get a "dividend" which is to say a partial payout of their deposits, and then as the FDIC sells everything the bank owned including its property, they'll make additional payouts to the uninsured depositors to the extent they can.

So depositors aren't "wiped out" but we don't know exactly what percentage of uninsured deposits will be paid out. It's definitely not zero but might not be 100%.

e. also as I said in that other thread, businesses really shouldn't be sitting on massive piles of uninsured cash in bank accounts, and there's many many ways for them to hold cash that wouldn't be vulnerable in this way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Not a musical fan by any stretch, but the movie Sing Street is gosh darn adorable and I’ll absolutely Stan for it

Sing Street is one of my favorite movies ever. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

LeeMajors posted:

I enjoy all the animated musicals my daughter watches.

Same. Moana is infinetly better than any of the musicals I've actually seen in person. Though the only one of those I actually saw on Broadway was Wicked, which as previously stated I think that's part of my dismissal of music theater in general. It's an artform that lends itself much better to movies than the stage in my opinion.

Though I would be down to see Little Shop of Horrors if it ever toured near me.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

e. also as I said in that other thread, businesses really shouldn't be sitting on massive piles of uninsured cash in bank accounts, and there's many many ways for them to hold cash that wouldn't be vulnerable in this way.

This is the wildest part to me. Just as an individual there are myriad ways for me to diversify my holdings to insure more than the FDIC 250K. I can't imagine why any business would hold millions in one standard bank account like that. Dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
More bank issues.

https://twitter.com/wfaa/status/1634222606806138881?s=20