Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
Our group's finally getting the hang of the outpost phase after building a good chunk of the base locations that are available. Being able to get resources so easily each scenario really helps it feel like we make progress each of those phases.

Scenario 65 Had a good time with this one and the mini boss at the end, the challenge of it switching between the Elite/Normal versions of itself was a neat twist, as was focusing on keeping the elemental orb alive. The storyline itself is really engaging too, really every scenario has been. I'm glad I started my retirement scenario early on because there's a multi week wait until I can unlock the next step. Good thing I like Boneshaper cause I'll be stuck with it for a while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Would be nice to know what is happening with the extras for Australia.

BinaryDoubts posted:

the degree of paranoia and obsession around spoilers in the GH (and board game community in general) is ludicrous. I understand not wanting to show, say, the end of a Pandemic Legacy campaign but the tip-toing around even the faintest hint of stuff you'd see in the second or third session is so absurd to me.

Yeah the ones that bug me are when people complain about a zoomed-out view of a random scenario. Something like keeping the level 5 JotL boxes secret is fine but when it's something you have to go out of your way to look at (and probably won't remember if you did) is a bit silly.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Would be nice to know what is happening with the extras for Australia.

Yeah the ones that bug me are when people complain about a zoomed-out view of a random scenario. Something like keeping the level 5 JotL boxes secret is fine but when it's something you have to go out of your way to look at (and probably won't remember if you did) is a bit silly.

Yep - I reached out to Aetherworks and got a reply on Feb 14:

quote:

We don't have a current ETA. We are in discussion with the creator as to when we will receive all the accessories necessary to complete fulfillment. Appreciate your patience, and I'm hoping we will be able to provide an update for you soon.
Not filled with confidence on this one, but I guess they'll turn up eventually.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

TheThirst posted:

Our group's finally getting the hang of the outpost phase after building a good chunk of the base locations that are available. Being able to get resources so easily each scenario really helps it feel like we make progress each of those phases.

Scenario 65 Had a good time with this one and the mini boss at the end, the challenge of it switching between the Elite/Normal versions of itself was a neat twist, as was focusing on keeping the elemental orb alive. The storyline itself is really engaging too, really every scenario has been. I'm glad I started my retirement scenario early on because there's a multi week wait until I can unlock the next step. Good thing I like Boneshaper cause I'll be stuck with it for a while!

High five Boneshaper with the same PQ buddy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Zurai posted:

Personally, I don't see why it's such a huge deal to just spoiler-tag talking about content that other players might not see for quite a while if they go a different route than you did.

It's one thing to spoilertag, say, unlockable mechanics, boss names/gimmicks or class names. It's another thing entirely to act like "Big Healing Potion" in a game that already has "Small Healing Potion" is such a terrible spoiler that you need to refer to all non-starting items by their card number. The closest thing I can think of is the Souls community - people will go into a media blackout to experience the game completely blind, which is fine! But someone going 'hey are there any twinblades in the game' or w/e is not considered to be a spoiler.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think the existence of a mana potion was technically a spoiler in GH.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Finally got around to cracking open the FH box I got last week. This is heavy as poo poo.

Question for people using the default storage: how are you supposed to use the card dividers on the upper level? Following the diagram means laying the books on top of the card dividers and I don't see what's stopping them from crushing the dividers. The event card divider tabs are only slightly above the lip of the plastic insert so they could maybe survive, but the dividers for the small cards in the middle (town guard, monster and ally modifier decks) clear the lip completely by a good 5 mm. Zero chance those won't get bent immediately if anything is placed on top. Is it just bad design?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Ojetor posted:

Finally got around to cracking open the FH box I got last week. This is heavy as poo poo.

Question for people using the default storage: how are you supposed to use the card dividers on the upper level? Following the diagram means laying the books on top of the card dividers and I don't see what's stopping them from crushing the dividers. The event card divider tabs are only slightly above the lip of the plastic insert so they could maybe survive, but the dividers for the small cards in the middle (town guard, monster and ally modifier decks) clear the lip completely by a good 5 mm. Zero chance those won't get bent immediately if anything is placed on top. Is it just bad design?

They immediately got crushed for me as well and I got mad and built the custom storage that I had ordered with it out of spite.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Mine didn't get crushed because I noticed before repacking but it still makes the dividers unusable with the default layout. Also "dump all the standee baggies on top" is the most :effort: solution and terrible for setup times.

Since I'm going to be using an app tracker I've taken out a bunch of stuff from the box, monster attack cards, ally/monster modifier decks, loot deck, monster stat cards, etc. Also offloaded the map tiles to an accordion folder like I did for GH.

At this point I'm thinking I'll ditch the base insert entirely and figure out a Plano based storage solution for the stuff in the box, maybe some foamcore trays for the standees.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I left all the monster poo poo in wraps since I'm using X-haven and the base insert works just fine that way. :smug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ojetor posted:

Mine didn't get crushed because I noticed before repacking but it still makes the dividers unusable with the default layout.

I mean, this feels like a bit of an exaggeration: they're card stock tab dividers, they still fold down and do their exact job

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Well unusable in the sense I could use anything else mini card sized instead. I'd rather use an unbent piece of white cardstock with no lip as a divider than a nice printed divider with a lip that's been crushed, that just looks worse to me.

I guess you could bend them "nicely" in advance instead of accidentally crushing then but that requires people realizing they are gonna get crushed in the first place.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So talking storage, I went with the accordion folder for map tiles (trying out storing the books in there but they're very heavy for the flimsy plastic accordion dividers). A couple Planos for the terrain overlay tiles, the base tray for the combat tokens works perfectly fine, and the two main plastic trays have been serviceable for now.

Monsters I bought a $5 three-row card box and cut a bunch of dividers from scrap cardboard. Wrote the monsters in each section on the lid of the box, ~3 monsters per section, with a couple extra heavy sections like all 7 demons in the top row or the Scout/Archer/Guard section in the middle left.

The box fits all the baggies and each section also contains the stat cards, minus the bosses which still live under the hp/xp wheels and monster sleeves.

Also I used these with Gloomhaven but we absolutely love these $1 crayon boxes for storing each class (Grab em at walmart or michaels)

They stack nicely, everything fits inside even when you're using a class (mine currently contains my PQ, all class cards (sleeved my active cards and inactive leveling choices, skipped/unearned cards unsleeved), my modifier deck both current and unused, owned items, and all my extra punchouts like my class circles and even all my extra summon standees). Actual character sheets and nameplates get stored in the accordion folder up front, with the campaign sheet.

All in all the box has plenty of room and the lid completely closes (planos and character boxes inside, monster box and accordion folder outside). The entire storage solution was around $30 (although that's because I got the accordion folder for $5 because of a pricing error that I did not feel the need to correct, thank you walmart employees for not giving a gently caress).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Whoa. That looks fuckin sweet.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I think there's an easy enough way to organize everything with the builtin solution if you use a companion app to handle monster activations (and maybe even if you don't). This is my current setup. As you can see the box is perfectly flush:

Rest of the pic are bottom to top. Bottom is the dafault configuration (without and with the L shaped organizer):

Next layer: Stack the "Scenario advent calendar" pieces one on top of each other. Place the map on top of those, on one side (the map side should be taller than the rest):

Next layer: stack all the books, stickers and assorted paper on top of the map. Place the chit trays one inside the other (may have to jiggle some of the tiles on the bottom one to have a snug fit). The final result should be perfectly level:

Next layer: place the tiles on top. If you spend a minute layering the tiles, they form a solid enough, inch high, rectangular block that is level on both sides. The main inconvenience is that they are unsorted so it takes a few seconds more during setup. Since we only play a scenario per session, this doesn't bother us much though:

The final layer is still the messier, but it is quite handy for setup. Five medium freezer bags to hold the monster standees, crudely divided by type. This has actually saved us quite a bit of time during setup cause most of the time you only need to pick one or two of the larger baggies. Since we play with a companion app, I used the extra space to double bag quite a few standees by type (IE: two undeads or two demons in the same small bag):

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 10, 2023

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What perks are people taking as Drifter? First 3 I took were the standard replace -1 with +0. Need to decide on another. I've been using the +2 melee, +2 heal, and then getting down the +2 splash damage card usually after first rest.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Any other Canadians still waiting to receive shipping notice/their games? It's lonely out here.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

KingKapalone posted:

What perks are people taking as Drifter? First 3 I took were the standard replace -1 with +0. Need to decide on another. I've been using the +2 melee, +2 heal, and then getting down the +2 splash damage card usually after first rest.

Ignore -1 from items and add +1 (could wait and grab one below first if you don't have crafted items)
- Replace -1 with +1s (all three)
- Replace -2 with +0

Then it's probably time to retire, but if you're still around, I think it's kinda personal choice between (any order)
- Add +3
- Add +2 immobilize (especially if you are hybrid or ranged)
- Replace +1 with "+0 move back tokens" (If you want to use more than 2 buffs or are having difficulties otherwise)
- Rolling push

I have been using almost always the +2melee and the +2move as my go to buffs, although the retaliate one was very good against shielded enemies in low level 2P (splash2 is a better buff in 4P, but you have to give up that sweet init17 move3 shield1).

Speaking of Drifter, I am starting to feel a bit bored by the lack of conditions or enemy manipulation. Granted, it is a loot vacuum and at low level it has the best CC in the game (spammable, nonloss Atk5), but I am considering rushing my PQ to play Snowflake instead I loved my Cragheart in GH and this class seems to have a high enough level of enemy fuckery to be real fun, especially combined with Trap..

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 10, 2023

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

It shouldn't be much of a problem with a melee/heal drifter, but if you're having token troubles, consider both the push and pierce perks along with the token-pushing ones. As they're rolling and replace +0s, they effectively thin the deck and make it more likely you'll draw the good stuff.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah drifter drops off scaling by mid levels for melee. Still hits well but that's all he does.

I'd recommend the loot perk, the long rest pushback, and extra hand weapon after covering your bases. All will turn useful.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Finally playing tomorrow, me and one friend basically want to play all day while one friend wants to leave in the early evening and another is up in the air, we will see how it goes lol

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Jcam posted:

Any other Canadians still waiting to receive shipping notice/their games? It's lonely out here.

Me too!

Ironic that Frosthaven isn't showing up here in the frozen wastes of Peel Region.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Ugh, just failed scenario 4.

Snowdancer beat everyone on initiative and drew a +1 on their final attack, leaving the Fist with 5 health when we needed to do 6 more damage to win. Really frustrating as a Boneshaper whose fastest initiative is still slower than every fast initiative in the boss deck.

It's also depressing since we only have time to play one scenario once a month or so, so there's not too much to look forward too for the next session.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Edna Mode posted:

Ugh, just failed scenario 4.

Snowdancer beat everyone on initiative and drew a +1 on their final attack, leaving the Fist with 5 health when we needed to do 6 more damage to win. Really frustrating as a Boneshaper whose fastest initiative is still slower than every fast initiative in the boss deck.

It's also depressing since we only have time to play one scenario once a month or so, so there's not too much to look forward too for the next session.
If you've seen everything the scenario has to offer, you have almost won and don't think repeating it in a month time would be fun, just call it a win. It's the main advantage of GH irl compared to digital as well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah losing by 1hp means it's up to you how you want to deal with it.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Eh, we already did an outpost phase so it be tricky to get the bookkeeping up to date after the fact. We hadn't playing very well anyways so the loss doesn't feel unearned, it was just tough to almost sneak the win.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Does anyone with experience playing Prism have any tips? It looks like it'll be my next class in my friend's campaign. I just retired geminate, so I'm not afraid of a bit of complexity, but I don't have a good idea of where to start with this class.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Just to double check...getting to Prosperity 2 doesn't really unlock anything on its own in FH, right? Aside from like a wall section. I presume the rest is gated behind some other unlocks. I'm just trying to figure out if I've missed a section somewhere or not.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

Just to double check...getting to Prosperity 2 doesn't really unlock anything on its own in FH, right? Aside from like a wall section. I presume the rest is gated behind some other unlocks. I'm just trying to figure out if I've missed a section somewhere or not.
Nah prosperity unlocks building upgrades mostly.

You can upgrade a Wall and the Craftsman again.

It will improve starting character gold and (starting at level 3) starting character level.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

A while back I asked when the puzzle book unlocks. In case anyone has been wondering the same, it gets unlocked after scenario 25 or 26.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Jcam posted:

I got my copy 2 weeks ago in the GTA but a friend in the same city who also backed day 1 hasn't heard a thing.
He did opt for the removable sticker pack so maybe there is a delay there? Or just bad luck?
Hope you hear something soon.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

keep it down up there! posted:

I got my copy 2 weeks ago in the GTA but a friend in the same city who also backed day 1 hasn't heard a thing.
He did opt for the removable sticker pack so maybe there is a delay there? Or just bad luck?
Hope you hear something soon.

Yeah the addons definitely made things take longer. My friend got his copy with no addons a good 2 months before mine with stickers/envelope X/ metal coins.

Also the removable stickers are great. I have no plans to actually remove and reset anything but i am so bad at placing them it's good to be able to get them off the board and fix my positioning.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah the addons definitely made things take longer. My friend got his copy with no addons a good 2 months before mine with stickers/envelope X/ metal coins.

Also the removable stickers are great. I have no plans to actually remove and reset anything but i am so bad at placing them it's good to be able to get them off the board and fix my positioning.

And if you haven’t ever enhanced something and then regretted it, you probably are being too stingy with your enhancements.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
FH Enhancements - not gonna pretend this is a spoiler, lol - have no prosperity cap. So +1 up all those sick level 1 cards.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

FH Enhancements - not gonna pretend this is a spoiler, lol - have no prosperity cap. So +1 up all those sick level 1 cards.

This is a good change. The best part is that when the eventual FH Digital comes out, my friends I play with won't be asking me "wait does that mean we get a free enhancement?" every time we hit a new prosperity level and it gives us an "enchantment point"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

SynthesisAlpha posted:

OTOH, the default stickers are either super glued to the map or are incredibly brittle or both. So don't try to remove them once you have placed them - I had some almost tear apart even with only a small corner already attached to the map. It's easy enough to "aim" them, though, at least as long as you can use the grid parts on the sticker itself to guide your hand.

Speaking of stickers...how do you handle the ones you are supposed to attach to your party sheet? I am just writing down the names...I guess you already need to use a companion app to track scenarios/buildings/etc on a new playthrough anyway so I could probably stick them on the sheet, but it would feel weird not to have any kind of visual aid irl for these cheevos on a different playthrough.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 12, 2023

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The campaign sheet has the sticker section but if you want you can try and cram them onto the board I guess

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Retired Trap and Snowflake last night and hit prosperity 4. We haven't unlocked any classes besides those two so I'm playing Geminate and my friend is leaning towards Drifter. Geminate is alright, I need to get better about using losses so I can actually get some god drat xp. There's some minor issues with the class I have but I completely get that those need to be there to compensate for the raw power and longevity of a 14 card hand.

Halfway through winter we finally got our first outpost attacks. Level 3 barracks, high morale, and a couple walls were more than enough to defend against anything this early.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 12, 2023

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

sirtommygunn posted:

Retired Trap and Snowflake last night and hit prosperity 4. We haven't unlocked any classes besides those two so I'm playing Geminate and my friend is leaning towards Drifter. Geminate is alright, I need to get better about using losses so I can actually get some god drat xp. There's some minor issues with the class I have but I completely get that those need to be there to compensate for the raw power and longevity of a 14 card hand.

Halfway through winter we finally got our first outpost attacks. Level 3 barracks, high morale, and a couple walls were more than enough to defend against anything this early.
Huh! I'm wondering how you don't have at least one more class unlocked if not two.

Spoilers for where a few can be found right now.

Scenario - Scenario 14
Building - Mining Camp Level 2
Weird/Scenario/GH tie-in - If you unlocked Envelope A in Gloomhaven, Scenario 25/26 will give you the puzzle book. There's two puzzles you can solve without any prior knowledge. A third Sub-Puzzle is available that's the answer to Envelope A.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Huh! I'm wondering how you don't have at least one more class unlocked if not two.

Spoilers for where a few can be found right now.

Scenario - Scenario 14
Building - Mining Camp Level 2
Weird/Scenario/GH tie-in - If you unlocked Envelope A in Gloomhaven, Scenario 25/26 will give you the puzzle book. There's two puzzles you can solve without any prior knowledge. A third Sub-Puzzle is available that's the answer to Envelope A.

mild Puzzle book spoiler/guide on how to not get new classes: We focused on Unfettered scenarios because of my personal quest to kill Ruined Machines, mostly doing side quests and Algox stuff otherwise. Because we've been doing unfettered quests, metal has been abundant, so we've ignored the mining camp for other stuff. We even got the Inn during the last round of retirements so we don't really see a point to building the mine at all right now.

We only unlocked the puzzle book yesterday, my friend does code breaking as a hobby so I've left it to him to solve over the week.