Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The EU has generally stricter requirements, yes, but also, among the EU member states, Poland has some of the strictest.
That's good to know thanks.

Is a bank to bank wire transfer the best way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

nosz kurwa

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I'll admit that I'm not massively plugged into Polish culture and politics, but drat this an incredible hill to die on.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's good to know thanks.

Is a bank to bank wire transfer the best way to do this?

Yes, standard bank to bank wire is not necessarily the least fussy version, but it's guaranteed to arrive if you go along with the red tape.

Xarn posted:

I think EU's KYC equivalent is for transactions over 15k EUR (while US's is 10k USD).

Not always, no. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32015L0849

2015/849 art. 11 posted:

Member States shall ensure that obliged entities apply customer due diligence measures in the following circumstances:

(a) when establishing a business relationship;

(b) when carrying out an occasional transaction that:

(i) amounts to EUR 15 000 or more, whether that transaction is carried out in a single operation or in several operations which appear to be linked; or

(ii) constitutes a transfer of funds, as defined in point (9) of Article 3 of Regulation (EU) 2015/847 of the European Parliament and of the Council1, exceeding EUR 1 000 ;

(c) in the case of persons trading in goods, when carrying out occasional transactions in cash amounting to EUR 10 000 or more, whether the transaction is carried out in a single operation or in several operations which appear to be linked;

(d) for providers of gambling services, upon the collection of winnings, the wagering of a stake, or both, when carrying out transactions amounting to EUR 2 000 or more, whether the transaction is carried out in a single operation or in several operations which appear to be linked;

(e) when there is a suspicion of money laundering or terrorist financing, regardless of any derogation, exemption or threshold;

(f) when there are doubts about the veracity or adequacy of previously obtained customer identification data.

2015/849 art. 3 (9) posted:

(9) ‘transfer of funds’ means any transaction at least partially carried out by electronic means on behalf of a payer through a payment service provider, with a view to making funds available to a payee through a payment service provider, irrespective of whether the payer and the payee are the same person and irrespective of whether the payment service provider of the payer and that of the payee are one and the same, including:

(a) a credit transfer as defined in point (1) of Article 2 of Regulation (EU) No 260/2012;
(b) a direct debit as defined in point (2) of Article 2 of Regulation (EU) No 260/2012;
(c) a money remittance as defined in point (13) of Article 4 of Directive 2007/64/EC, whether national or cross border;
(d) a transfer carried out using a payment card, an electronic money instrument, or a mobile phone, or any other digital or IT prepaid or postpaid device with similar characteristics;

There are quite a few landmines.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
hey while it's still legal for me to say, gently caress jp2 and gently caress the vatican

I think it's already illegal for me to tell duda to go gently caress himself so somebody else here will have to do it for me

As for the other thing, 15kpln is a decent chunk of change, well above the average monthly wage. It's not a huge amount of money but I think it's enough that if it's coming from a foreign bank it could trigger extra attention. For this sort of thing I always use revolut or transferwise and skip the bank (not an ad).

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

cat botherer posted:

I'll admit that I'm not massively plugged into Polish culture and politics, but drat this an incredible hill to die on.
They will not die

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, standard bank to bank wire is not necessarily the least fussy version, but it's guaranteed to arrive if you go along with the red tape.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

As for the other thing, 15kpln is a decent chunk of change, well above the average monthly wage. It's not a huge amount of money but I think it's enough that if it's coming from a foreign bank it could trigger extra attention. For this sort of thing I always use revolut or transferwise and skip the bank (not an ad).

Thanks. I'm going to see what exactly their bank is asking for and I'll take it from there. If it starts becoming too onerous then I'll try one of the other methods mentioned.

I guess the issue is due to the money coming from overseas. My friend owns an automobile recycler and he sells lots of cars and car parts around the EU so he regularly gets large wires to his business account.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
This happens a whole loving lot with international remittances, because the sanction lists banks screen against are incredibly imprecise.

Wise, Xoom, Remitly are all decent (which is not saying a lot) options and are usually cheaper than international wires, but ultimately the compliance gods still need their sacrifice.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
thank you for the new thread title

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thank you for the new thread title

:patriot:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

a podcast for cats posted:

This happens a whole loving lot with international remittances, because the sanction lists banks screen against are incredibly imprecise.

Wise, Xoom, Remitly are all decent (which is not saying a lot) options and are usually cheaper than international wires, but ultimately the compliance gods still need their sacrifice.
Yeah I get that. This all new to me as I've only sent wires in the past to North American banks and the most I've been asked for is to show a piece of ID. I didn't expect that ~$4K would trigger the money laundering filters.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and information. I'll stop into my bank later today and see what exactly ING wants. Hopefully it's nothing too crazy.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I sent $2500 USD to Estonia recently via Zelle (this is not an endorsement of Zelle), and I had to do it in two transactions 24 hours apart because it capped me at $2000. Not sure if this is a Zelle thing or a Baltic states thing, but maybe someone can use that info.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I sent $2500 USD to Estonia recently via Zelle (this is not an endorsement of Zelle), and I had to do it in two transactions 24 hours apart because it capped me at $2000. Not sure if this is a Zelle thing or a Baltic states thing, but maybe someone can use that info.
I was thinking about that but I don’t want to trigger any more filters by making it looking like I’m trying to skirt the rules (which I am but not for illegal reasons).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a podcast for cats posted:

Xoom? What a blast from the past
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xoom_(web_hosting)

quote:

Xoom was an early dot-com company that provided free unlimited space web hosting, similar to GeoCities. The domain "xoom.com" is now held by the Xoom Corporation, an international-focused money transfer website run by PayPal.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Jesus, everyone been sending money to poland. Here I'm complaining about having to use western union to send $200

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That's a Zelle thing

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone needs to test sending large amounts of money to central/eastern Europe, I'm here to help.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's a Zelle thing

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was thinking about that but I don’t want to trigger any more filters by making it looking like I’m trying to skirt the rules (which I am but not for illegal reasons).

Exactly. It's a good way to make sure ordinary transactions look like structuring. Avoid splitting payments if you can. If your bank or payment institution of choice has clearly stated transaction limits (in addition to the invisible AML/CFT/fraud check ones), contact them in advance, notify them of your payment and the purpose of it and you'll see much better rates of success.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Not yellow enough.

sad question
May 30, 2020

My acquaintance ran into similar problems when trying to wire much smaller amount from Canada to Poland. In the end he used Paypal and Western Union which worked fine

As for the bill protecting good name of JP2 do note that it was a resolution and not an actual law (just posturing). So at least for now zoomers won't go to jail for sharing yellow pope memes

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I am not even mad anymore about all that insane poo poo PIS does (unless it's Czarnek because this dude should burn alive), I am more angry that loving cowards from KO just chickened out and decided not to come to voting.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm happy that all of 5 Poland-based posters noone ever tries to defend PiS. Fuckos got about 40% support from all those aligned parties. Guess we're very much not representative.
I'm at the stage where I completely tune out local news to have some sanity remaining. I found out about JP2137 bill from here.

sad question
May 30, 2020

In another :dafuq: move, public television will air JP2's homilies after evening news from now on

Not even hiding they want to build theocracy anymore.

As for KO not showing up I've seen it argued that them voting wouldn't make a difference and they didn't want to drive away religious voters. In my opinion completely lacking balls and being lazy is a bigger problem, but maybe I'm crazy

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

alex314 posted:

I'm happy that all of 5 Poland-based posters noone ever tries to defend PiS. Fuckos got about 40% support from all those aligned parties. Guess we're very much not representative.
I'm at the stage where I completely tune out local news to have some sanity remaining. I found out about JP2137 bill from here.

I have major political disagreements with most all of my friends here, but one thing all of them agree on is Jebać PiS

edit: but nearly everyone I know lives in warsaw or krakow and half are foreigners

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 10, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Maybe I’m numb to all this. In the end, PiS won fair and square twice and everybody on the other side prefers to squabble, rather than come together and just vote maybe MAYBEEE not for your one dream candidate but for anyone else in the opposition so the PiS fucks can be overcome. But we can’t have nice things.

Also, I’ve been around to remember Wojtyła-mania comes and goes. In the mid-90s the church and ol’ Karol were viciously criticized, because the old commie left were still around (the very same ones who horshoe’d into PiS 20 years later). I also think 80% of kids don’t give a poo poo about JPII and ultimately PiS is looking down the barrel as their electorate slowly dies of (unfortunately over the next 20 years).

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I mean, current main opposing party is also defending JP2, just without crazy shenanigans.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, lest people forget, just before losing to PiS, the Kopacz PO government made some stellar moves, like opposing partnerships and being anti-abortion.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

New pis narrative:

No one in the US desecrates the memory of Reagan

No one admonishes the founding fathers for owning slaves

sad question
May 30, 2020

I still lol about how salty Pis was when Biden won.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Anne Frank Funk posted:

New pis narrative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Precisely the point, I assume is to put people who criticize established figures on the level of “no one”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think the intent is that deep, they are simply banking on the fact that 99% of the people in Eastern Europe have literally zero idea about Western politics and culture outside of the mass monoculture, so they have no retort to stupid claims like that. Especially among piss voters.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://twitter.com/6_DzienTygodnia/status/1634625338830364673

Dude just compared JP2 protecting child molesters to Founding Fathers having slaves and claims that "nobody sane" accuses FF of supporting slavery. I don't even know... there's so much to unpack here, let's just throw away the whole suitcase,

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Anne Frank Funk posted:

New pis narrative:

Szarrukin posted:

Dude just compared JP2 protecting child molesters to Founding Fathers having slaves and claims that "nobody sane" accuses FF of supporting slavery. I don't even know... there's so much to unpack here, let's just throw away the whole suitcase,

As an American, please please stop using my country's shameful history to justify your own stupidity.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
At that point, I guess someone should explain the cenzopapist memes. Anybody up for it?

Szarrukin posted:

The funniest part about this argument is that even if it was true that nobody begrudges the FFs keeping slaves - still nobody denies that they did

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hell, Thomas Jefferson had children with one of his slaves, and the children were part of his slave property until they escaped or were freed by him.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

RedSnapper posted:

At that point, I guess someone should explain the cenzopapist memes. Anybody up for it?

What's there to explain? Polish *chans started making controversial images of the Pope and since we were in the post-ironic phase of cultural humour it got picked up by young people. I literally grew up with the stuff and find it some of the most hillarous poo poo on the internet ever.
The bigger the tragedy, the better the memes.

I have major political disagreements with most all of my friends here, but one thing all of them agree on is Jebać PiS

edit: but nearly everyone I know lives in warsaw or krakow and half are foreigners

Hell yeah brother same in Gdańsk.
Yeah the loving no-response of our opposition pisses me off to no end. Like I was seriously considering casting my vote for PSL, since there're the only party that hasn't done anything that would completely eliminate them from my voting list but last week they decided to gently caress it all up. Plus it's fun to be on the winning team and they're always the winning team :v:
But the narrative of "we don't have any program aside from 'Move PiS away from the parliment" which everyone is currently promoting isn't working. Since they're actually doing what everyone wants to do but doesn't want to say out loud - getting their friends rich through lucrative posts in government companies, milking the EU and getting a stronger and stronger position in the Parliment by having people who will vote for them no matter what. It's not sustainable, will hurt us in the long run, but nobody is proposing a reasonable alternative. Also a real shame that the way to keep old voters in check is basically "gently caress them kids".

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kikas posted:

But the narrative of "we don't have any program aside from 'Move PiS away from the parliment" which everyone is currently promoting isn't working.

It sure would work better if the self-professed opposition leaders didn't spend literal decades backpedaling on any statement or proposal contrasting PiS the second they get a whiff of maybe snatching a percent or two of their more casual voters.

While simultaneously rejecting the mere possibility of having any identity other than "how about not-PiS?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Does your justice minister carry a piece to a press conference? The Polish one does!

Ziobro explained that he has a sports license for his gun and he was at a shooting range before the scheduled event and that he’s legally obligated to keep the gun on him as his limousine does not have a gun locker.

He’s the loving worse. This is the dude behind the legal system actively pursuing anti-abortion cases, crushing LGBTQ+ rights and nominating lovely judges. Just yesterday one of his judges reduced a prison term for a guy who plowed into a couple with a kid at 140 km/h at a pedestrian crossing in downtown Warsaw, because the killed man “shares responsibility by not staying vigilant”. Oh, also his prosecutors are investigating a case of a teenager that committed the crime of *checks notes* streaming a mass to TikTok?