Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

lmfao

Oh I'm good now I'm well out of the moving every eight months stage of my life, I was just echoing Marcus' sentiment.

Cross country movers like SPR mentioned are a thing and are mostly pretty good. Just do a bit of research on who they partner with at the dropoff location, sometimes you can get a good crew on one end and a lovely one on the other. If you can afford it it is absolutely worth it though.

lol sorry. it's been a day. and now for some ishin to cap the day off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
We want to move although we've been putting it off for maybe getting a house and well....lmao

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Skypie posted:

I have a little one but I was worried there'd be too much friction and it would just melt the butter.

Naw, just chop the butter into small chunks and then pulse until it's done. The bigger pitfall, in my experience, is blending liquid in too well instead of leaving the dough shaggy and crumbly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Greetings. We just moved and it sucked rear end though we are in a much better place now

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

copy posted:

lol sorry. it's been a day. and now for some ishin to cap the day off

:cheersdoge: same

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Greetings. We just moved and it sucked rear end though we are in a much better place now

grats on the move being over though

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
We've looked into a handful of shipping companies already, but the thing is that not a one has had even an average reputation. It's all horror stories of people getting their stuff stolen or damaged or even just not showing up for weeks past the deadline. The better ones are very expensive and also sell you hard on supplementary 3rd party insurance beyond what's federally mandated, which is just lol.

We live in an area with a lot of transplants (Seattle) and I had always heard from friends that cross-country moving companies are a nightmare to deal with, but I guess I underestimated what that meant. We moved here as college grads and packed our entire lives into our Toyota Camry. Things have changed for us since

at the end of the day I'll just have to grit my teeth and do it, because it's not like we can actually do it ourselves, but I'm dreading it so much

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I have an acquaintance whose husband is in the military and last time they had a cross country move, she has to handle stuff while her husband was still on deployment. And she said it was an utter nightmare because the shipping company "lost" all their stuff so none of their furniture or big items arrived at their new house

She said she had to raise hell multiple times, even having her husband call to ask what the gently caress until they finally located it and delivered everything like 2.5 months after she'd actually moved

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

NoiseAnnoys posted:

while we're on the subject (and the train wifi started working again so i :justpost: ), i wish developers would explore other historical settings

i agree, more prehistoric games, dinos or no dinos.

moving is awful, plan your domicile around how easy furniture goes into in. korean style "huge window you crane your couch through" works

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pogo's chapter in Live A Live was pretty good

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm going to mod

e: i'm regretting this!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i finally took my busted gaming rig to the shop, i don't exactly know if they're ripping me off by saying i need to replace my 9 year old motherboard, cpu, and ram sticks, but on the other hand, that poo poo is 9 years old maybe i should just get new ones anyway? at any rate, spending money on computer parts ftw.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

i finally took my busted gaming rig to the shop, i don't exactly know if they're ripping me off by saying i need to replace my 9 year old motherboard, cpu, and ram sticks, but on the other hand, that poo poo is 9 years old maybe i should just get new ones anyway? at any rate, spending money on computer parts ftw.

do you have a rough idea of whats wrong?

if the RAM is bad itd be an easy fix since sourcing ddr3 isnt too tricky, but if the cpu/mobo are dead then yeah, you basically need to replace the entire main guts of the computer because there's no current stock that you can just replace it with, they'd have to source working second hand hardware and I doubt a computer shops gonna do that

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if the 9 year old cpu dies and you replace it with a newer one, you will need a not-9-years-old mobo to be compatible with it, and then you'll need not-9-years-old ram to fit in the mobo

so even if only one bit breaks and the others are perfectly fine you will probably end up having to replace all three

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

selan dyin posted:

do you have a rough idea of whats wrong?

if the RAM is bad itd be an easy fix since sourcing ddr3 isnt too tricky, but if the cpu/mobo are dead then yeah, you basically need to replace the entire main guts of the computer because there's no current stock that you can just replace it with, they'd have to source working second hand hardware and I doubt a computer shops gonna do that

display input died, i replaced the video card, still not working, tested with a monitor that i knew worked, still not working. replaced the cables, still not working. i am not smart at computers and this was the limit of my troubleshooting ability so i took it to the store. the tech was like "i don't know if it's the processor or the motherboard but if you replace one you'll probably have to replace both, and then your ram because any decent motherboard won't support ddr3".

still, everything in there lasted 9 years, maybe i won't have to revisit this until 2032 lol.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Seems the tech concluded it's not a display issue, rather your computer isn't technically working at all. It's getting power, but nothing is running. The very first screen displayed when a computer is turned on, the little command line looking thing, is called a POST, and generally if your computer isn't reaching that step then it could be an almost infinite number of problems... of which the CPU and mobo are surely part of it

Does it make any beeps or other sounds?

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

display input died, i replaced the video card, still not working, tested with a monitor that i knew worked, still not working. replaced the cables, still not working. i am not smart at computers and this was the limit of my troubleshooting ability so i took it to the store. the tech was like "i don't know if it's the processor or the motherboard but if you replace one you'll probably have to replace both, and then your ram because any decent motherboard won't support ddr3".

still, everything in there lasted 9 years, maybe i won't have to revisit this until 2032 lol.

that sounds about right, i recently had a ~2013 pc die in a similar fashion. new pc every 9 years is pretty good mileage

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

WarpDogs posted:

Seems the tech concluded it's not a display issue, rather your computer isn't technically working at all. It's getting power, but nothing is running. The very first screen displayed when a computer is turned on, the little command line looking thing, is called a POST, and generally if your computer isn't reaching that step then it could be an almost infinite number of problems... of which the CPU and mobo are surely part of it

Does it make any beeps or other sounds?

yeah it makes turning on beeps and noises but any monitor you plug into it, it just indicates no signal received. depending on the monitor it either says something like "no signal" or it just doesn't display anything, blinking lights like in standby mode.

its a little late to troubleshoot this since i have let the lads at microcenter fix it for me lol, picked out some parts and let them have at it (i know its a waste of money but i just don't have as much time as i used to). looking forward to having a beefy gaming rig next week, maybe i can take a game of victoria 3 into the 20th century.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

post new specs

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Added a couple of beavers to the zoo. No pics because I'm lazy. I don't remember what the beavers were originally named, but I renamed them Norbert and Dagget before even decorating the enclosure more.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Added a couple of beavers to the zoo. No pics because I'm lazy. I don't remember what the beavers were originally named, but I renamed them Norbert and Dagget before even decorating the enclosure more.

Good move, Angry Beavers rules

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

womb with a view posted:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm going to mod

e: i'm regretting this!

lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

womb with a view posted:

One of the reasons kid me wanted to check out old cheesy movies

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

womb with a view posted:

Lmao it is a good song

I have been thinking about retiring this av though. Maybe replace it with this guy:

My wifes first ever concert that wasn't an arena or a local bar band. She hates metal, but wanted to experience gwar and the opener Nekrogoblikon because "he's adorable and I feel bad for him."

I'd love a new av, know what I want, but refuse to spend money on this site at the moment.

As for my day, last night hit a big rear end crab pot buoy after it bounced out of a truck in front of me, which put a giant crack in my oil pan, and then had to get my car towed home. Thankfully I don't mind working on cars and have the money, so it will be fixed this weekend once parts come in. Once again assholes who can't be hosed to tie poo poo down or even attempt to secure it suck.

Now I'm playing return to monkey Island and waiting on my wife to get off work so I can grill burgers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

My wifes first ever concert that wasn't an arena or a local bar band. She hates metal, but wanted to experience gwar and the opener Nekrogoblikon because "he's adorable and I feel bad for him."

I'd love a new av, know what I want, but refuse to spend money on this site at the moment.

As for my day, last night hit a big rear end crab pot buoy after it bounced out of a truck in front of me, which put a giant crack in my oil pan, and then had to get my car towed home. Thankfully I don't mind working on cars and have the money, so it will be fixed this weekend once parts come in. Once again assholes who can't be hosed to tie poo poo down or even attempt to secure it suck.

Now I'm playing return to monkey Island and waiting on my wife to get off work so I can grill burgers.

Hella cool.

Sorry about the car. That could be a huge pain.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I'm transferring to a new department at work and just cleaning my space to move is annoying. There's not a lot to move over, but I hate cleaning and just thinking about moving makes me tired. Also I have so many unused napkins, what am I doing with my life?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
The last concert I went to was headlined by Mystery Skulls and was cool. The encore was all three acts coming out to sing "Eye to Eye" from A Goofy Movie and it ruled

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Successfully installed slay the spire on my work phone so rip to me actually doing anything useful

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Reading along, I'm like, coool, awe, yeah, oooof, what the gently caress? not in your propellor, but on the road!? yeah, good call plays some vidyas

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’ve been playing ryza while quarantining for possible covid

i beat it, started ryza 2, and the covid is confirmed lol

i’ve been having a lot of fun even though i’ve been having fever dreams of trying to synthesize something to feel better

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm at right now

Congrats on the gwar gig and the burgers, commiserations on the wrecked oil pan!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Splash Attack posted:

i’ve been playing ryza while quarantining for possible covid

i beat it, started ryza 2, and the covid is confirmed lol

i’ve been having a lot of fun even though i’ve been having fever dreams of trying to synthesize something to feel better

Ryza is cool, feel better

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Gonna get work done, drink some beer and do discord movie night with the RLM thread guys, maybe make some Terrible gifs

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just trophied on MTGO with Pioneer Gruul Vehicles. This calls for a celebration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRQ2mNwMMQ

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I'm trying very hard to get into Sunless Skies because a few friends of mine think it's some kinda magnum opus but I feel myself falling off it again

if anyone has any secrets on how to make the gothic space locomotives game fun please share them

Psycho Landlord has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Mar 10, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's not fantastic. i liked it but i like fallen london, sunless sea, cultist simulator etc and have significant time investment in that sort of nonsense

otherwise it's "do some mediocre gameplay to get some often evocative snippets of text". sunless skies also completely retroactively nukes the investigative element of fallen london and sunless sea, by outright stating as base setting elements some stuff that is like Hidden Mystery in the earlier games

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i prefer sunless seas of the two even though skies has some decent improvements to the combat system and the early game economy is better tuned so you arent as easily locked into a death spiral. seas just feels like a more full and mysterious world esp. with the zubmariner expansion

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

It's a shame that Fallen London and all of the related stuff is stuffed into slow, often boring games. There's drawing out mysteries and evoking atmosphere, and then there's pointless busywork.

Like I haven't played Fallen London in years but when I left I stepped through mirrors to explore the ever-changing lands of dreams as my day job, was destined to build a rocket and use it to return with some Lovecraftian horrors to their home between the stars, was counted as one of the most dangerous beings in a city where literal demons from hell are an everyday sight among a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. All this power was expressed by having three-digit stats to rely on when I played my one story card per hour or whatever.

So I ruined everything about the character in a long, long story sequence involving cannabilism, both literal and spiritual self-mutilation, and other awful things all in pursuit of the name of a being that died long ago. Evocative stuff, again shame the games it's all attached to are so boring.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's not fantastic. i liked it but i like fallen london, sunless sea, cultist simulator etc and have significant time investment in that sort of nonsense

otherwise it's "do some mediocre gameplay to get some often evocative snippets of text". sunless skies also completely retroactively nukes the investigative element of fallen london and sunless sea, by outright stating as base setting elements some stuff that is like Hidden Mystery in the earlier games

Also when double-checking some of my memories I'm pretty sure I stumbled upon this spoiler and what the gently caress that was, like, one of THE mysteries of the setting

e: All that said Sunless Seas can still be a good time if you cheat like hell by editing the configuration to make your boats faster

Big Mad Drongo has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Lmao yeah a dude in a discord I'm in happens to be playing seas at the same time and I accidentally dropped what was apparently a world shattering revelation on him while idly asking about an early game quest in skies :v:

copy posted:

i prefer sunless seas of the two even though skies has some decent improvements to the combat system and the early game economy is better tuned so you arent as easily locked into a death spiral. seas just feels like a more full and mysterious world esp. with the zubmariner expansion

From what I looked at with seas it also has a way higher power and travel speed ceiling which might be why I'm kinda sliding off skies, everything takes so long to get to in this one