Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Tantalum caps tend to fail short, if they are sitting on a power rail it will just go out with a bang but if it's smoothing the output of a small power regulator it can overload and take out the regulator chip if you're unlucky.

The best modern replacement caps to use is probably dry polymer caps, they come in the same can styles as electrolytics but will not leak. They are kinda expensive but so are tantalums.

I just replace with new cheap electrolytics on a lot of the computers I fix, after all they will be good for another 20-30 years before the new ones leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Purposefully putting tantalum capacitors in something you want to last a long time seems like madness to me. Maybe electrolytics can leak over long time periods or if they're abused but at least they don't spectacularly catch fire when they fail.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I got a cheap tantalum kit from ebay and one of them exploded like a firework.

After that I bought a bunch of expensive tantalum caps from mouser and they've all been fine. As long as you overspec them I wouldn't worry too much.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

GutBomb posted:

When tantalums pop they pop in a visually spectacular way, but they generally only take themselves out, and it’s a pretty rare failure. Electrolytics sitting there for years doing nothing WILL leak and eat the board, which is a far more common outcome than a blown tantalum.

It’s a pretty common thing in retro mac circles to replace surface mount electrolytics with tantalums.

edit: Higher end macs like the Quadra 650 came with tantalums from the factory.

Understood, thanks. I had always equated tantalum’s with temperamental and fragile capacitors that failed often and failed short, but that they had amazing ESR. Guess I was wrong

e: seems there is some disagreement, glad I’m not completely off base

namlosh has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Mar 9, 2023

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Modern (made after like 2010) tantalum's are actually very reliable and don't even catch fire when they fail.
They're the default bulk capacitor for high end industrial stuff.

FWIW the old silver tantalum's are also really reliable, it's basically just the drop-shaped 80's types that fail regularly.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Those droplet shaped ones are fun to blow up. The jets of flames have pretty colors.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Plugged in the Commodore 486 SLC tonight for the first time in months. All seems to be fine with it. I'll be installing a 5.25" drive into it tomorrow.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Guess the game

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
pole position?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-jc6bsUUCk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLls9MpXcpA

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
That's a fun find and I completely agree with Colin here. The mundane, cheap, low-spec, everyday computers of our past are worth preserving and enjoying. RMC's trash-to-treasure series on that manky old packard bell, likewise; We didn't all rock fast pentiums with voodoo IIs back in the day

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

an actual frog posted:

That's a fun find and I completely agree with Colin here. The mundane, cheap, low-spec, everyday computers of our past are worth preserving and enjoying. RMC's trash-to-treasure series on that manky old packard bell, likewise; We didn't all rock fast pentiums with voodoo IIs back in the day

I just scored almost the same exact packard bell as RMC - I'll post some pics when I get back to my garage. Totally intact and works great even on the original HD. Very yellowed by in good shape - probably will slap an sd/cf reader in it and the voodoo 2 I just got.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

an actual frog posted:

That's where I am too. Going for period-precise top-end parts is fun and all but I'm nostalgic for when I was broke and in/just out of college putting together a 5x86 Frankenstein with a Sound Blaster clone since I didn't have Pentium/Creative money, with whatever the best video card I could afford at the moment was.

I'm glad that IBM 486 I got came with an unexpected Pentium Overdrive upgrade since those things are pricey even now, but It feels like a system that needs a standard DX2/66. Not sure I'll downgrade it though since I want to play with OS/2 Warp after using it some in the day and I recall it being a bit more CPU-hungry than Windows.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

an actual frog posted:

I remember building heaps of Cyrix and AMD socket 7 systems back in the day. They were great for gaming on the cheap as well as low end workstations/office productivity stuff.

Found this Honeywell keyboard which has an AT DIN connector that was in the eWaste at my local tip. Took it home, gave it a clean and works perfectly on the Commodore 486.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
The nice thing about old computers is period specific top end parts were beaten by next year's mid or low end parts. Just build a mid ranger from a year later for much cheaper.

Geforce 2 ultra? That's a Geforce 4 mx440!

Pentium III Tualatin? That's a slow Pentium 4 or Athlon.XP!

486 dx4? That's pretty much any socket 7 system.

Unfortunately doesn't cover stuff like Glide or needing an ISA slot

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
well sure, and you can emulate anything on a relatively modern system. my phone is faster than most of my computers put together, probably. but that defeats the purpose. i want the old hardware for Reasons

its cool as hell to have sli voodoo2s, even if the slowest agp card you can find will beat them handily

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I recently bought an nvidia Riva 128 on eBay because I had one back in the day and I’m nostalgic for the way that riva 128 accelerated games looked.

Back then each card brand did filtering and texture mapping and AA differently and therefore each had their own “look”. Early driver revisions of the Riva 128 also featured gaps in the textures but I don’t think anyone’s nostalgic for that

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I remember someone making a really big deal of the particle effects in quake 2 being little round circles on a nvidia tnt2 but squares on a voodoo3, maybe due to a better opengl implementation or something?

my designated retro graphics card is a voodoo5 5500 that a friend gave me for free back in the day (I wonder if he regrets it now)
I feel like I am maybe limiting its potential by keeping it in a lowly p3 500mhz system, but i don't really have the same kind of nostalgia for anything newer and ISA slots rapidly disappeared once we got to the p4 and athlon xp era.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Humphreys posted:

I should have broken a LOT of electronics as my homelab is carpeted, and I often play with ungrounded stuff without ESD protection (and most of the time sweaty due to the Aussie summer heat)
You’re sweaty but the air isn’t. And dry air is bad news, leaned this the hard way developing a product with some EEs in London and others in Midwest USA, in a building that had no humidifier in the brutal winters.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

r u ready to WALK posted:

I remember someone making a really big deal of the particle effects in quake 2 being little round circles on a nvidia tnt2 but squares on a voodoo3, maybe due to a better opengl implementation or something?

my designated retro graphics card is a voodoo5 5500 that a friend gave me for free back in the day (I wonder if he regrets it now)
I feel like I am maybe limiting its potential by keeping it in a lowly p3 500mhz system, but i don't really have the same kind of nostalgia for anything newer and ISA slots rapidly disappeared once we got to the p4 and athlon xp era.

They make some newer stuff with ISA, just search for "industrial motherboard isa"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Voltage posted:

They make some newer stuff with ISA, just search for "industrial motherboard isa"

Socket 370 is for PIII processors.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can’t just say this and not post pics

I’m pretty space limited, so I don’t have anything out on display. Just imagine an under-stairs closet full of beige boxes.

I will post pictures sometime, but it’s not that easy to get to them.

c0burn posted:

The nice thing about old computers is period specific top end parts were beaten by next year's mid or low end parts. Just build a mid ranger from a year later for much cheaper.

Nostalgia can be weird, and I totally get why people go for the top-end parts. And part of the fun of this hobby is getting things you could only dream of when you were younger.

On the other hand, I was recently grabbing parts to build a late-model XP gaming machine. I had grabbed an e8300 and a good mobo, and was looking for a GPU when my brother-in-law gave me a Haswell i7 system with a 750 ti. Almost the exact system that PhilsComputerLab used for his XP build.

Let me tell you, there is definite joy to be found in being ridiculously overpowered for what you’re doing.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvQtdQW3DsU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Anyone have some good YT recommendations? I follow most of the channels posted here but I'm always looking for new stuff - however never heard of tech tangents.

A good one ive found recently is this guy:

https://youtube.com/@vswitchzero

Does some really good old gpu fixes and inspired me to snag that vooodoo2

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You must chop it into small pieces and burn them individually! It's the only way to slay this monster before it grows!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
:allears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcnFtLL3JLA

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Voltage posted:

Most industrial motherboards do not support DMA on their ISA slots so you might as well get a real ISA board or not bother.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Woolie Wool posted:

Most industrial motherboards do not support DMA on their ISA slots so you might as well get a real ISA board or not bother.

The gas chromatograph I use at work relies on a proprietary ISA card and some software written in 1987 and whenever they try to put in hardware not on the verge of death everything breaks. I could tell them this might be a possible cause but I won't.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

The gas chromatograph I use at work relies on a proprietary ISA card and some software written in 1987 and whenever they try to put in hardware not on the verge of death everything breaks. I could tell them this might be a possible cause but I won't.

You could have them get a KT133 board (AMD K7, takes up to a 2.3ish GHz Barton with the BIOS mod) but you might have to pay more because they're in demand among retro gamers.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus Boman has an excellent video on the history of "clip art," from its origins in the 50s to its peak in the 90s to the current state of graphic design in the "post-clip art" era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfLlpxE6AYM

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Oh wow I was just wondering about that recently actually, like, I remember pretty much drowning in clipart compilation CDs. Who draws all that?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We had some sort of Dos printshop program on our 386, and at some point my parents had gotten some pirated clip art collections and loaded them all on it.

So one time at a family gathering my cousin is playing with the computer and starts going through the clip art. He runs across silhouettes of sex positions, which his mom and grandma see. Grandma flips her poo poo and wants to know how mom could possibly have this on her computer.
“I didn’t know it was there!”

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
sex clip art would be a good username

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

We had some sort of Dos printshop program on our 386, and at some point my parents had gotten some pirated clip art collections and loaded them all on it.

So one time at a family gathering my cousin is playing with the computer and starts going through the clip art. He runs across silhouettes of sex positions, which his mom and grandma see. Grandma flips her poo poo and wants to know how mom could possibly have this on her computer.
“I didn’t know it was there!”

The image I had in my mind reading this was of screen beans getting it on. I don't know what that says about me, but there you go.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
:nws:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m pretty space limited, so I don’t have anything out on display. Just imagine an under-stairs closet full of beige boxes.

I will post pictures sometime, but it’s not that easy to get to them.

Nostalgia can be weird, and I totally get why people go for the top-end parts. And part of the fun of this hobby is getting things you could only dream of when you were younger.

On the other hand, I was recently grabbing parts to build a late-model XP gaming machine. I had grabbed an e8300 and a good mobo, and was looking for a GPU when my brother-in-law gave me a Haswell i7 system with a 750 ti. Almost the exact system that PhilsComputerLab used for his XP build.

Let me tell you, there is definite joy to be found in being ridiculously overpowered for what you’re doing.

I mean you're not wrong. I have a stupid op 98 system with a socket 939 CPU.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Having enough horsepower to just chew through whatever bullshit windows had going on back then really :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mitch Hedberg posted:

I wish I could play little league now, I'd kick some fuckin rear end