Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Wasn't that also a game where you're stuck with some gormless white boy set character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

those devs went bankrupt, there was a ton of drama. but THQ nordic has the rights to it now so maybe they will make another one.

Oh huh I had no idea, I figured the game sold pretty well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It was a Kickstarter game and some of those got pretty messy with overpromising. Wouldn't surprise me if they sold well enough but couldn't cover all the poo poo they said they would give people. Heck the came was in dev for 7 years and still didn't launch with all it's promised content.

Also the lead on the project was kind of a disaster in his own right, so that could have contributed to problems running the company.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I certainly don’t remember hearing that Warhorse went bankrupt. They put out a 5 year anniversary update like two weeks ago? I thought they were acquired way back shortly after launch by some publisher I can’t remember right now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They got bought by another company in 2019, specifically by formerly Koch Media now called Plaion. Which is all part of Embracer Group.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah that sounds right. I just can’t find any news about them since being shut down, and their social media pages appear very much alive.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Elden Ring also seems like an single-player open-world RPG.

That's not the unique thing about the BGS games, though. It's dynamic AI and physical interaction with the world that requires that AI to respond to your actions and the way the world changes in response to your actions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

7c Nickel posted:

Wasn't that also a game where you're stuck with some gormless white boy set character?

Yeah, the lead dev went all white supremacist when talking about it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, the lead dev went all white supremacist when talking about it.

Lol seriously?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember the details but I think people were asking why there were no people of colour in the game and the guy just absolutely went off about how historically (it's set in historical 1403 Bohemia) there where very few PoC in the region at that time. But like instead of just saying that it was historical he went way too far with it. Someone else can probably explain it better.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think that was when people questioned why there were zero racial minorities in the game. Some crap about rural Bohemia in 1406 or w/ever being pure white. Like yeah sure it probably was pretty white but traders exist? And people always moved around? But the dev was steadfast in that.

Didn't know that at the time and thought it was a very janky but overall fun game though.

Edit: beaten. It also treats the... Cumans (?) or whoever the bad guy army was as brutal savages but I don't know enough about medieval Hungarian ethnic composition to weigh in on how bad that is.

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 10, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Cuman Rights

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

oh wait, kingdom come deliverance, i was thinking of kingdoms of amalur

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

That one was run by a different racist!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

That's not the unique thing about the BGS games, though. It's dynamic AI and physical interaction with the world that requires that AI to respond to your actions and the way the world changes in response to your actions.
I'm not gonna repeat my diatribe, but Bethesda didn't wholly reinvent almost 60 years of research for a video game, they just applied slight algorithmic control to some scripted NPC sequences.

Also, this is the second day in a row someone comments about something completely unrelated and turns it into a conversation about "AI". What's up with that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Popete posted:

I don't remember the details but I think people were asking why there were no people of colour in the game and the guy just absolutely went off about how historically (it's set in historical 1403 Bohemia) there where very few PoC in the region at that time. But like instead of just saying that it was historical he went way too far with it. Someone else can probably explain it better.

He died on the hill of "sorry, Medieval Europe is a white man's world" despite Actual Historians pointing out that there were plenty people of color and women with agency and interesting stories in that region and era - and don't forget that game is about someone's remarkable story - without getting into narrative details you hardly live an ordinary life.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

They're still the only ones managing to create such games. The term 'Bethesda RPG' might as well be a genre name at this point.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Elden Ring also seems like an single-player open-world RPG.

Elden ring I don't remotely put in the same category. There's no real RPG in Elden ring. Elden ring is basically an open world beat em up with exploration.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Elden ring I don't remotely put in the same category. There's no real RPG in Elden ring. Elden ring is basically an open world beat em up with exploration.
You know, I can't even be angry at that characterization, because it's made me laugh too hard.

I also don't know why I would be, but drat that's a fun mental image.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Obsidian are working on a first person RPG, Avowed. It might scratch a similar itch to Bethesda games, but i don't think we know much at this point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've come to think of Bethesda as blending Immersive Sims and RPGs. Bethesda RPGs, like Immersive Sims, have complex interconnected systems that give you multiple ways of engaging with the game mechanics to solve problems. It's a stark contrast to other "action RPGs" like Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed. And yeah, Bethesda is the only AAA developer making these, and even indie game are few and far between.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

marktheando posted:

Nah, that one was just high fantasy discount Everquest but single player.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

For me an hour worth of crafted/intentional storyline and environment beats a hundred hours of generic procgen stuff. The latter has its place. As a background/optional element it can make a world feel more expansive so long as no one is trying to make that a major pillar of the game. I'm hoping that's the way they did it here, because the NMS approach laying a thin story over top of mostly procgen content felt extremely hollow. If they just do Morrowind in space I'll be happy even if the graphics suck rear end and the UI fell out of 2004.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

All NMS had to do to get me fully on-board was to not have arcade-y controls for spaceflight and let me use HOTAS (or better yet, a HOSAS).
They still haven't managed it despite delivering on almost everything else.

Now I'm not even convinced Starfield will manage this. :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All NMS had to do to get me fully on-board was to not have arcade-y controls for spaceflight and let me use HOTAS (or better yet, a HOSAS).

Yeah I don't think it's going to be that kind of space sim unfortunately.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To pile on the misery, if Skyrim is any indication, modding will happen within a certain framework and "use a whole rear end joy stick to fly the ship" is probably going to be happening years after mods that do things like rebalance numbers and add new assets.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jack B Nimble posted:

To pile on the misery, if Skyrim is any indication, modding will happen within a certain framework and "use a whole rear end joy stick to fly the ship" is probably going to be happening years after mods that do things like rebalance numbers and add new assets.

I can't wait for the Star Trek mods.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Yeah regardless of whether the base game is a flop or not the setting and engine should be enough for some wild mods a few years out from release.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I can't wait to build a settlement on some faraway desolate moon.

The settlement building in Fallout 4 is my favorite part of that game and I'm not even kidding.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It took me a while to get into the F4 settlement system, but I really dug into it during my last F4 survival playthrough. Looking forward to see how they iterate on it for Starfield, and I can see myself really appreciate building a fortress or some home in the next ES game in 2040.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The settlement stuff for Starfield looks promising, like if they can flesh out what they did for FO4 it could be pretty neat.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I've been spending a lot of time with Sim Settlements 2 lately, it's intetesting how well they've applied FO4's engine. It's prone to scripts breaking, but building up the HQ (which requires a network of developed settlements) works nicely. Got a whole lot of VA too. Mayne too much.

Anywho, hoping that someone at Bethesda has been taking notes.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Have they confirmed mod support? Because it would be extremely funny if they stopped

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mr. Crow posted:

Have they confirmed mod support? Because it would be extremely funny if they stopped

i think even they know it would be a tremendous flop if they pulled mod support, but i could see them trying another paid mods situation

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

I'm not gonna repeat my diatribe, but Bethesda didn't wholly reinvent almost 60 years of research for a video game, they just applied slight algorithmic control to some scripted NPC sequences.

Also, this is the second day in a row someone comments about something completely unrelated and turns it into a conversation about "AI". What's up with that.

What the gently caress are you talking about? No one said they built some high functioning self learning model. They scripted the game characters to behave in ways that respond to the player in multiple contexts, which doesn't happen in any AAA Fantasy RPG.

All of the people in the market in Witcher 3 just stand there night and day having the same not-conversation. If you rob them they're never even home. I haven't played Elden Ring but I'm fairly sure when you leave a space a dragon can't spawn and randomly visit it and wipe out all of the NPCs, for instance. That's what I'm describing not whatever poo poo only you care about.

I'm not saying all of it functions perfectly or even as you'd expect, but no one else does it at all, except for immersive sims which is a genre that outside of Elder Scrolls does not have an open world RPG?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They've confirmed mod support, yeah. The idea of running out of FTL fuel and being stranded in space is explicitly held up by the devs as an interesting idea that they couldn't figure out how to not be too frustrating and they fully expect it to be modded in by the player base that wants that more sim-like experience.

It's me, I basically want Fallout 4's Horizon Overhaul in Starfield:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

They've confirmed mod support, yeah.

Kind of, they keep getting asked when they say mods, do they mean their Creator Club thing or third-party mods, and so far they keep dodging that question.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

They still haven't managed it despite delivering on almost everything else.

I think they did add controller support that you could use via HOTAS mapping, but then broke it later in VR, though I think it's now fixed again? And by I think I mean I used it for a bit.

Anyway NMS is quite fun in VR, though it feels even slower to play (as far as I can tell it's not actually slower, it's just that standing around exploring for 5 hours is lot more noticeable than spending 5 hours exploring from your chair).

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Back Hack posted:

Kind of, they keep getting asked when they say mods, do they mean their Creator Club thing or third-party mods, and so far they keep dodging that question.

I'm guessing both types like with Skyrim and Fallout.

From an AMA in 2021
ToddBethesda: Our plan it have full mod support like our previous games. Our modding community has been with us for 20 years. We love what they do and hope to see more make a career out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right. I think the big question with mods is when do the tools drop, because I believe that always comes out after the game?