Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is the wildest part to me. Just as an individual there are myriad ways for me to diversify my holdings to insure more than the FDIC 250K. I can't imagine why any business would hold millions in one standard bank account like that. Dumb as hell.

I'm not a high-level financial guy, but you're going to need a fair amount of money in the bank just for payroll right? Like if you have $1 million in payroll every week, then don't you need that in the bank? Maybe there's ways around that companies have, I don't really know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Same. Moana is infinetly better than any of the musicals I've actually seen in person. Though the only one of those I actually saw on Broadway was Wicked, which as previously stated I think that's part of my dismissal of music theater in general. It's an artform that lends itself much better to movies than the stage in my opinion.

Though I would be down to see Little Shop of Horrors if it ever toured near me.

To bring this round full circle have I got incredible news for you!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thinking about Rocky: The Musical real hard right now

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My problem with Hamilton, as a guy who has grown up with rap since gradeschool, is that Lin Manuel-Miranda sucks at it. He just had to cast himself in the lead role, huh? Maybe cast someone who can rap, not just whine the entire time.

I realize this is a hot take but he drove me crazy enough to ruin it for me.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

kiimo posted:

To bring this round full circle have I got incredible news for you!

Oh it'll definitely be better than the Broadway show. I just strongly doubt that better is going to translate to good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

General Dog posted:

This is probably unfair to say, but I feel like every post I see on the forums about Hamilton is "I hated the premise of this show and everyone who likes it going in, and after watching 3 minutes of it I confirmed I was right." Which, that's fine, it's okay to not like a thing and it's okay for to not have any desire to engage with certain forms of entertainment, but basically any entertainment is going to ask that you meet it halfway, so to just dip in on something and immediately declare "well, this was exactly as lovely and stupid as I imagined" as a subjective value judgement is kind of a poor-faith move.

I know this isn't a shot at me but nobody should take anything I post about Hamilton on this forum seriously, as I have not actually seen the musical. I just like to tell the story of my wife saying "hmmm I should check out this thing that people keep talking about" and then realizing that it's a mash-up of two of her least favorite subjects.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oh it'll definitely be better than the Broadway show. I just strongly doubt that better is going to translate to good.

Well I can't really argue with you because I haven't read the script or seen anything other than a sizzle reel that blew me away but I will say doubting that is pretty bold.

They made a pretty great movie out of a Disneyland ride. They made a pretty incredible musical out of a Hans Christian Anderson 60-page fairy tale from 1845. They made an incredible movie with multiple endings out of a board game in 1985.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I know this isn't a shot at me but nobody should take anything I post about Hamilton on this forum seriously, as I have not actually seen the musical. I just like to tell the story of my wife saying "hmmm I should check out this thing that people keep talking about" and then realizing that it's a mash-up of two of her least favorite subjects.

Yeah, keep in mind C-Euro’s wife is not American, so the image of somebody finally checking out what this turbo-hyped thing is and getting the 1-2 punch of “musical, about American history” is delightful.

I guess I’m lucky I moved out of the US during the entire Hamilton hype cycle, don’t think I’ve even heard the soundtrack at any time.

I was involved in theater stuff in high school, mostly backstage/tech, and seeing the people who were legit Very Good at both acting and singing in person was always inspiring. Did also see touring versions of a couple shows including The Producers in high school, too. Now that’s a drat show.

The only two strong musical opinions I hold are that we need a Nine Inch Nails jukebox musical to get Trent his Tony for the EGOT, and that my favorite movie musical is still The Blues Brothers :colbert:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm not a high-level financial guy, but you're going to need a fair amount of money in the bank just for payroll right? Like if you have $1 million in payroll every week, then don't you need that in the bank? Maybe there's ways around that companies have, I don't really know.

For some companies its precisely this, it also depends on what countries you operate in, because I've heard of some companies having to buy literal buildings over night to ensure things can flow properly and for that you need cash.

Also I was making a cheap joke at ross. I don't care about musicals. I watch some, some I don't. Woulda thought a bunch of musical nerds would have thicker skin.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

This is probably more just Wells Fargo sucking rear end than anything new.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

This is probably more just Wells Fargo sucking rear end than anything new.

that’s literally WFC’s excuse in various twitter replies all day lol

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/netflixisajoke/status/1634328312460857345?s=46

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

kiimo posted:

Well I can't really argue with you because I haven't read the script or seen anything other than a sizzle reel that blew me away but I will say doubting that is pretty bold.

They made a pretty great movie out of a Disneyland ride. They made a pretty incredible musical out of a Hans Christian Anderson 60-page fairy tale from 1845. They made an incredible movie with multiple endings out of a board game in 1985.

Not sure what musical you mean but Pirates of the Caribbean and Clue were likely helped by the lack of a preexisting plot that would limit what they could do with the material. That won't be the case with Wicked. Also who is they? If "they" means Hollywood broadly they have turned as much gold into poo poo as vice versa.

I think the last movie that surprised me by exceeding a bad source material set up was Blade Runner 2049. The original absolutely did not need a sequel but they put together a great movie that really stood on it's own merits.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 11, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The musical is Frozen

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Same. Moana is infinetly better than any of the musicals I've actually seen in person. Though the only one of those I actually saw on Broadway was Wicked, which as previously stated I think that's part of my dismissal of music theater in general. It's an artform that lends itself much better to movies than the stage in my opinion.

Though I would be down to see Little Shop of Horrors if it ever toured near me.

Moana is so loving good and “Shiny” gets regular play in my car, even without kiddo riding.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So uh

Anyone hiring?

:smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a neat cape posted:

So uh

Anyone hiring?

https://about.usps.com/careers/

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
On my Mt. Rushmore of movies, 2 of them are musicals.

Musicals are fine. Sometimes I enjoy them. I do enjoy hanging out with my friends that are way more into musicals than I am, and thanks to them I got to watch classics like Shock Treatment and Grease 2. :v:

One of these days I'll venture over to the Clinton Street Theater and watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show in front of a crowd, but honestly I wasn't really enthralled when I first saw it on VHS back in the mid-90's. Also having to go through the whole rigamarole of being a RHPC "virgin" doesn't sound appealing at all to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes. However, if your weekly payroll is $1M, your total operating cash balance is probably fifty times that and you can have 80% of it in noncash short-term equivalents that aren't at risk of going "poof" because your bank failed. Also while it's not always true, most businesses have fairly predictable cashflow needs and can arrange for their noncash investments to be sold for cash just in time to need that cash, with some safety margin built in. So you have a tranche of short-term bonds or something that get sold monthly to provide that month's expected payroll + other cash operating costs, and a buffer of cash, and then the rest of your several billion dollars is invested.

There are exceptions probably, like I don't know for sure but someone mentioned a winery and I bet they need most of their annual cash for short specific periods during the season when they need to pay labor to pick the grapes and get them in and squashed and into barrels and then the rest of the year their operating cash needs are lower and they can put their incoming money into investments.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Here’s my favorite musical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaVqtG-NvzY

a neat cape posted:

So uh

Anyone hiring?

poo poo, sorry dude.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Oh hell yeah

Gonna slop up some steaks in celebration

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tim robinson looks like a college football coach

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a neat cape posted:

So uh

Anyone hiring?

Have you tried the goonbux thread for something to hold you over?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Unscheduled reminder that shakshuka is a fantastic meal. I just had a pan with 3 eggs and my belly is happy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Coco13 posted:

Unscheduled reminder that shakshuka is a fantastic meal. I just had a pan with 3 eggs and my belly is happy.

It's my weekend brunch meal of choice.

Batch I made for my friends when I was visiting them in LA.
:discourse:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hahaha me and the wife were planning on rewatching this tonight while we drink and play Rummy

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

a neat cape posted:

So uh

Anyone hiring?

Sorry dude. Wish I could help you. Interested in moving to Chicago or Cleveland and being a pipe fitter?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sorry dude. Wish I could help you. Interested in moving to Chicago or Cleveland and being a pipe fitter?

Why? ur mom retiring?

Hey-O!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My daughter specifically requested the Ghostbusters theme and now I can never un-know that Ray Parker belts out a “Bustin’ makes me feeeeeel good” near the end.

If I knew it already I forgot or repressed it, but I had to stifle some laughter.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

My daughter specifically requested the Ghostbusters theme and now I can never un-know that Ray Parker belts out a “Bustin’ makes me feeeeeel good” near the end.

If I knew it already I forgot or repressed it, but I had to stifle some laughter.

It’s amazing, especially when my son is singing along with it in the car.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

a neat cape posted:

So uh

Anyone hiring?

What do you do for a living again? I can check what we have available in SoCal.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

LeeMajors posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxXufI6-OIE

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

So uh

Anyone hiring?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

i am so madddd that you got let go

and angry and sad and miffed!!!!

I'm sorry, my friend :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How did I not know you're a pipe fitter? My stepdad's a retired fitter, steamfitters local 342. :respek:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

How did I not know you're a pipe fitter? My stepdad's a retired fitter, steamfitters local 342. :respek:

I’m not, I’m in management actually. I just work with lots of union guys.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

management! boo, hiss!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Thank you for doing the needful

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Gotta post the official music video

https://youtu.be/0tdyU_gW6WE

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

This song was in heavy rotation when.my son first started talking. Daycare thought it was his riff on Wheels on the Bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

management! boo, hiss!

On the one hand, yes.

On the other hand, someone kind and competent like Birds in a Blender in management makes my job much easier.