Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

How long did Sting have off between WCW being sold and wrestling his next match? Didn't all of the guys who passed on the WWE deal just basically sit out doing nothing while collecting money? That was probably some nice downtime, too.

I feel like he's another guy who talked about DDP Yoga saving his mobility, but I'm not 100% on that. Wouldn't surprise me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ganso Bomb posted:

How long did Sting have off between WCW being sold and wrestling his next match? Didn't all of the guys who passed on the WWE deal just basically sit out doing nothing while collecting money? That was probably some nice downtime, too.

I feel like he's another guy who talked about DDP Yoga saving his mobility, but I'm not 100% on that. Wouldn't surprise me, though.

He had about a year and a half from the end of WCW and the start his tour with World Wrestling All-Stars.

When WWA folded in may 2003 he basically went straight to TNA.

edit: and yeah, a lot of the big names in WCW were smart and had their guaranteed contracts directly with Time Warner rather than WCW. In Sting's case his contract expired March 2002 so he could have started wrestling then, but he still waited until the end of the year to join up with WWA.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 8, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

He went from March of 2001 and November of 2002 without wrestling, then wrestled ~20 matches over the next 3 years before signing with TNA.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Has anyone ever done an in depth article comparing wrestlers who look better as wrestlers than they do in real life, versus wrestlers who look silly as wrestlers and look better in real life?

You could put a hypothesis out there with wrestlers who look like wrestlers while wrestling and also "while attempting real life" with The Young Bucks as the control group.

I'm thinking of all this because I'm thinking of Wardlow in a suit.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They should just let wrestlers wear their fanny packs in the ring. Make the championship belt a big ol' fanny pack.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

They should just let wrestlers wear their fanny packs in the ring. Make the championship belt a big ol' fanny pack.

Taz: RIGHT IN THE YAMBAGS!
Tony: I belive that was in the Championship. Belt. Taz.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's actually racist that no promotion has created a Ribera Steakhouse Belt.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

thinking about living my life with road warrior hawks hair

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If I make fun of a stranger's hair at Waffle House at 2:00am, it's not going to be Road Warrior Hawk

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well,

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

If I make fun of a stranger's hair at Waffle House at 2:00am, it's not going to be Road Warrior Hawk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6kpHpcfdY

No, I wouldn't have made fun of his hair either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He looks mad at whoever painted his face.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He looks mad at whoever painted his face.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

edogawa rando posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6kpHpcfdY

No, I wouldn't have made fun of his hair either.

Road Warrior Doink.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just realized that in 1998, Sable worked more matches than Hulk Hogan. Happy International Women's Day!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Who had the better contract, lanny poffo's "get paid and never had to come into work" or brocks 4 matches and some amount of promos a year contract?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, y'know, I wanted to ask about that. The WCW payroll info floating around indicates that Lanny was only paid about $4,500, and only for one year. Does that info leave a lot of stuff out, or was the money he was getting folded into Randy's contract or something?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, y'know, I wanted to ask about that. The WCW payroll info floating around indicates that Lanny was only paid about $4,500, and only for one year. Does that info leave a lot of stuff out, or was the money he was getting folded into Randy's contract or something?

My understanding is that it came out a few years ago that Lanny's "contract" was all Randy saying "I want $X, and I want Lanny to be paid $Y" during negotiations, WCW saying "we'll pay you $X but we have no interest in keeping Lanny around," and Randy just going "fine, but send $Y of my checks to Lanny in his name."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

disaster pastor posted:

My understanding is that it came out a few years ago that Lanny's "contract" was all Randy saying "I want $X, and I want Lanny to be paid $Y" during negotiations, WCW saying "we'll pay you $X but we have no interest in keeping Lanny around," and Randy just going "fine, but send $Y of my checks to Lanny in his name."

Iron Sheik in '89 wrestled a couple of times and then was taken off TV (because Sheiky Baby was not good) and then forgot about but the problem was they forgot his contract auto-renewed and had to pay him another year.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MrBling posted:

and yeah, a lot of the big names in WCW were smart and had their guaranteed contracts directly with Time Warner rather than WCW. In Sting's case his contract expired March 2002 so he could have started wrestling then, but he still waited until the end of the year to join up with WWA.
At this point I'm pretty sure this is a misnomer. If you go through the WCW contract info, everyone, to a person, who's listed as having 0 termination cycles, is in the group always referred to as having "Time Warner contracts." I dunno if someone misunderstood this or what, but it looks like it's as simple as being that these were the guys who were able to negotiate no-cut contracts.

So, who ACTUALLY had contracts with other divisions of Time Warner? Hogan's payroll in 1998 and 1999 is less than he was guaranteed in PPV compensation, so it's presumably just his pay for everything else and Turner Home Entertainment paid him that half of his contract. (There's also something off with Hogan's 1997 payroll, too, because it's just over $330k, which is obviously weirdly low.) Presumably there's something else going on with Poffo, too, and other PPV bonuses may have been paid out through THE, but that's the extent of what we know.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

I always thought everyone had a contract with Time-Warner. What WWE bought was just the intellectual property and tape library. Anyone who wanted to work for Vince immediately had the option of taking a buyout from TW. Am I wrong on that?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Dan posted:

I always thought everyone had a contract with Time-Warner. What WWE bought was just the intellectual property and tape library. Anyone who wanted to work for Vince immediately had the option of taking a buyout from TW. Am I wrong on that?

WWE took on a bunch of WCW contracts that as Bix said had the 90 day termination cycles. They then exercised the cycles and re-signed the wrestlers to more favorable WWE contracts. Bigger stars, even DDP/Booker T level guys did not have the cycles in their contracts and had to either accept a buy out or sit out their deals.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
DDP was excited to work for them and gave up a lot of free money to do so, and his reward was stalking the undertaker’s wife and never being relevant again

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think it was this thread where people were asking where the name came from and thankfully Dave has provided lots of detail:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1634261261138669574

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Where was it established that all triple threats/4 way matches are no DQ? I've seen examples where a rope break is ignored or whatever because "it's no DQ!". Shouldn't the guy breaking the rules be disqualified and removed from the match.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think it's just that you shouldn't be awarding the win to someone/team for a DQ only one of the participants committed, so there are no dqs at all. That said I do like the idea of a DQ just removing a person/team entirely from a match and continuing with the remaining participants. Like a backdoor elimination match.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I think it was this thread where people were asking where the name came from and thankfully Dave has provided lots of detail:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1634261261138669574

don't post my questions to dave!!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

checksin posted:

DDP was excited to work for them and gave up a lot of free money to do so, and his reward was stalking the undertaker’s wife and never being relevant again

at least, not in wrestling, because goddamn is DDP Yoga good

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tweak posted:

I think it's just that you shouldn't be awarding the win to someone/team for a DQ only one of the participants committed, so there are no dqs at all. That said I do like the idea of a DQ just removing a person/team entirely from a match and continuing with the remaining participants. Like a backdoor elimination match.

It's also just kinda weird to pause a match for a rules violation, shoo away one of the participants, then continue the match as if nothing happened. It's a fiddly mess unless you can somehow make a DQ as immediately recognizable as a pin, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in the iron man match i noticed many people do not know what's going on no matter what. i'd like to propose a 'card' system for referees to use for signifying that a ruling has been made and what the ruling is. when someone is disqualified the referee can hold up a card painted in sherwinn williams' 'Rivulet'. when s omeone is in danger of being disqualified should they break the rules again, the card could be the Behr 'Aqua Rapids' instead.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

on screen graphics like pure rules for warnings that when exhausted, means a wrestler can be removed from the match. HOWEVER, if they find the idol hidden around the ring, they can re-insert themselves back into the match- unless someone NOT originally in the match finds it first in which case THEY can legally enter but just with 1 warning left.

Now, you may be wondering about the basketball hoop on the right side of the stage…

This makes me think though, what’s the most convoluted match type?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cavauro posted:

in the iron man match i noticed many people do not know what's going on no matter what. i'd like to propose a 'card' system for referees to use for signifying that a ruling has been made and what the ruling is. when someone is disqualified the referee can hold up a card painted in sherwinn williams' 'Rivulet'. when s omeone is in danger of being disqualified should they break the rules again, the card could be the Behr 'Aqua Rapids' instead.

The referee gets a paintball gun and shoots the poo poo out of whoever got disqualified. Like, straight up shoots him for as long as there is anything left to shoot him with. Then kick the remains out of the ring, ref gets a new gun and the wrestlers continue, much more gingerly.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Tweak posted:

Duchess of Queensbury

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Tweak posted:

depends on whether you count multi-stage matches that are basically multiple matches in a row, like TNA's three-stage cage reverse battle royale or the Thunderbowl

if you narrow it down to matches that have more or less consistent rules throughout (no Duchess of Queensbury, no reverse battle royals, etc) it gets tougher to call

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I won't say MOST convoluted but for my money the variation of the strap match where a competitor must touch all four posts is more convoluted than it needs to be

strapping two dudes together is enough, you don't gotta turn it into a game show

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

oldskool posted:

Duchess of Queensbury

I don’t know what this is so I’m going to say tnas King of the Mountain match

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s a real match type with clearly defined rules and not at all that dastardly William Regal just getting someone to make poo poo in his favour up as the match goes along

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
In looking at old records and territory history, I keep seeing references to soandso's booker, rather than the booker of a promotion. Around when did individual wrestlers stop having their own bookers and it became more of a promotion's responsibility? Or did the definition of booker just change over the years and used to mean something different?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tweak posted:

I remember in 2k19 you could set up an Ironman Tables Match, and while that would be labor intensive for crew to keep bringing in tables, it was insanely fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s a real match type with clearly defined rules and not at all that dastardly William Regal just getting someone to make poo poo in his favour up as the match goes along

I mean if we’re counting that then the answer is the Canadian Rules match