Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They think highly of him because they finally repaired a lot of really old wounds not that long ago but that's the first I've ever heard of his name being thrown around for a front office gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Please take Eddie Olczyk. I don't want to listen to him on the TV anymore.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I can't see Lindros doing the gig for several reasons, one being I don't see him wanting to work with Clarke, plus he hates the media here. I don't know

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

AsInHowe posted:

Yeah. I'm not sure what some are mad at me about, but yeah.

You forgot the wall of text about survival rates.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

I can't see Lindros doing the gig for several reasons, one being I don't see him wanting to work with Clarke, plus he hates the media here. I don't know

Yeah I'm pretty sure he still has no love for Clarke at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

This doesn't seem like it's going anywhere good, does it?

Fletcher-less arrows Fly higher new thread title please

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure he still has no love for Clarke at all.
No chance. He might be cordial during ceremonies and stuff but that's it.

He also still holds a grudge against WIP. Not long ago he was asked to be interviewed for an hour-long weekend interview series they were doing of former Philly or otherwise notable sports figures. Out of the over 100 people that were interviewed, he was the only one to decline the request.

If he's still that bitter towards WIP, Clarke has no chance

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bob Clarke would call the WIP afternoon drive show (hosted by Eskin at that time) unprompted while he was GM to bitch about Lindros and the family, during the season, while Lindros was very much still a Flyer

edit: There was also a time when then-Philly mob boss Joey Merlino called that same show to talk about his alleged friendship with Lindros. It was a very weird time

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 10, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gently caress it, give Pronger a job

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Fletcher trading Gostisbehere and a 2nd to Arizona for cap relief two summers ago and then trading for and signing Tony D last summer was an underrated move. Gonna miss him

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

And then Ghost ends up in Carolina for a pick. Couldn't have written it better

Also trading MacEwen for a 5th, and accepting to take Brendan Lemieux for the cap hit. Don't negotiate for a higher pick or anything

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Arivia posted:

Fletcher-less arrows Fly higher new thread title please

I improvised a bit

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

What if Lindros comes on and Clarke is let go

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't think Lindros has done any prior work in a coaching or managerial role on a professional level, so it's just impossible to say how well he would do

Even without Clarke I don't see him coming here. I have a feeling he's okay with having that arms-length relationship with the team. And if he really wanted to be in a managerial role, I feel like he would be by now

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 10, 2023

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

triple sulk posted:

What if Lindros comes on and Clarke is let go

Imagine if Clarke "retired," Lindros came on board, and then down the line, the Flyers win a cup under his wing.

Ah that was a nice thought. Back to being miserable.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Watch Clarke get a 3rd go as GM

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You're not a real insider unless you have a locker room gopro story.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
See ya later Chuck.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

This doesn't seem like it's going anywhere good, does it?

When did we start talking about the Leafs playoff chances?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

The Athletic posted:

In particular, this issue has arisen for teams with prominent Russian players since that country’s anti-gay laws were amended in early December, per the New York Times, to make it “illegal to spread ‘propaganda’ about ‘nontraditional sexual relations’ in all media, including social, advertising and movies.”

The Flyers also had one player (Russian defenseman Ivan Provorov) opt out of warmups with his teammates on their Pride Night in January because he didn’t want to wear the team’s Pride jersey, citing his Russian Orthodox religious beliefs.

The Wild abandoned their plans to don Pride jerseys out of concern for Russian players. Star forward Kirill Kaprizov, notably, had a difficult journey back to the United States after returning to Russia this past offseason.
https://theathletic.com/4294478/2023/03/10/nhl-pride-jerseys-russia-lgbtq-explainer/

So Russian players are banned from competing in international tourneys due to the Ukraine War, but here in North America we are catering to their backwards-rear end values because a Russian is that teams best player lol

quote:

The Wild never officially announced before Pride Night that their players would be wearing rainbow-logoed jerseys, but they wore them last season — including Russians Kapizov and Dmitry Kulikov — and it was common knowledge that they planned to do so again this year. They had even mentioned it on their auction site.

After wrestling for a couple of days with how to handle the situation and educating themselves on Russia’s anti-gay propaganda law, the Wild made the decision the morning of Tuesday’s game against Calgary not to wear the sweaters.

What made the decision harder is the Wild flew in Jack Jablonski, who came out in an article by The Athletic in September, from L.A. to Minnesota to do the Let’s Play Hockey traditional pregame chant and put JABS patches on each of the jerseys the players were supposed to wear.

In the end, only Jablonski showed off the jersey to the sold-out crowd in attendance.

Just brutal optics, why did plans suddenly change the morning of? Bootlicking article

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Turns out it's easy to have principles until it impacts your bottom line.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://theathletic.com/4294478/2023/03/10/nhl-pride-jerseys-russia-lgbtq-explainer/

So Russian players are banned from competing in international tourneys due to the Ukraine War, but here in North America we are catering to their backwards-rear end values because a Russian is that teams best player lol

Just brutal optics, why did plans suddenly change the morning of? Bootlicking article

what a weaselly article

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress the athletic imo

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
No way the New York Times had someone write some straight trash????? Who could have foreseen such an outcome!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
"all the russian players are scared to wear the pride jerseys because they'll literally have their families murdered" is a weird position to take when they also point out malkin wears it without issue

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Malkin has never given a gently caress, that's why he's awesome

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
If Eric Lindros becomes Philly's GM, Gary Bettman has to move the Coyotes to Quebec.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's legitimately cruel to fly out Jack Jablonski and give him a front row seat to the players all skating out and effectively saying "hockey is not for you."

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

clean ayers act posted:

"all the russian players are scared to wear the pride jerseys because they'll literally have their families murdered" is a weird position to take when they also point out malkin wears it without issue

Assuming it's zero to family murder sure is a very nuanced and definitely true thing yup yup yup.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

Malkin had to sneak out of Russiain the first place just to join the Penguins because his team didn't want him to leave. And he's obviously participated in pride nights.

He still goes back to Russia to visit family and train in the off season. Or in past off seasons he did anyways.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

It's legitimately cruel to fly out Jack Jablonski and give him a front row seat to the players all skating out and effectively saying "hockey is not for you."

There are so many other better ways to have done it. There's not really any excuse here.

I don't personally care about all the warm up jerseys or whatever. It tends to be window dressing that the league can stand behind and go "lookit what we're doing, we have jerseys for it". What I care about is concrete action and the NHL is lagging behind on that. Make hockey for everyone by pushing the inclusivity in language, supporters groups, events, front offices, and messaging. The front offices are still barely including women in positions that make a difference, and having BIPOC representation is lacking too. Can the jersey nights be a part of it, absolutely. But the larger issue is what I'm frequently disappointed in with the NHL. Bunch of old white guys just not having a clue is not a surprise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My reaction on one side is that I think Russian players would have a legit concern to be worried about being seen to support LGBTQ impacting them or their families in Russia. This is a crazy time, it was a separate reason but we already saw Russia punish a NHL goalie prospect for reasons , so yeah I think it could be a valid concern.

That said, I donno how you prove whether it’s a concern, or whatever they’re now inventing it as a reason to cover themselves. Obviously the point that this is a theory coming out now and now whatever months ago makes me question it.

So I’m not believing it either way. End of the day, it sucks because regardless of what the truth it , either way minority groups like LGBTQ lose and are negatively impacted.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
You Can Play, just not here

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Provorov hadn’t started this and the league weren’t cowards it wouldn’t have been a problem. The Russians are not loving robots, a guy wearing a jersey he has to isn’t going to get his family jailed.

Gate is open now though.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

In lighter news, they updated Kane’s NHL pic

:laffo: just shave it buddy!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1634317385686474754?t=gsdGnWLV9DAu_HOx8Cc9Bw&s=19

Please tell me this means Carter is allergic to the colors yellow and black.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

If Provorov hadn’t started this and the league weren’t cowards it wouldn’t have been a problem. The Russians are not loving robots, a guy wearing a jersey he has to isn’t going to get his family jailed.

Gate is open now though.

Ya it's this. The league let Provorov openely be a bigot and so every bigot is doing it cause there's no consequences.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's great publicity for the league to be on Tucker Carlson. It's just good marketing!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya it's this. The league let Provorov openely be a bigot and so every bigot is doing it cause there's no consequences.

Not just Provorov but Torts openly backed his and the teams decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted: