Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

rickiep00h posted:

The latter. Thanks.

The Izzards Theory i follow was developed by Daniela Diaz (she had that deck locked in back in War of the Spark), it looks superficially like an aggro deck but it actually is an aggro-combo deck and so in the mirror it's about keeping mana open, making the other player flinch first and blasting their creatures off the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Izzards Theory i follow was developed by Daniela Diaz (she had that deck locked in back in War of the Spark), it looks superficially like an aggro deck but it actually is an aggro-combo deck and so in the mirror it's about keeping mana open, making the other player flinch first and blasting their creatures off the board

Right now I'm just short three wildcards for Arcanists, so.

correction: one wildcard

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 9, 2023

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Yesterday in draft I went 0-2, followed by 7 wins in a row to finish at 7-2.

I've never had such whiplash from thinking, "I suck at draft, I should never play this mode" to "I am a draft God!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

What cards are you excited about being rotated out of standard? I would be happy not seeing turn 2 Thalia on the play anymore.

For me it's more the deck archetypes I'm hoping to see shift, which is something I always hope for when new sets drop too. I also didn't realize till this thread that rotation was yearly, for some reason thought it was 2x years. In any case, I started playing not long after a rotation in paper, and arena after that and haven't experienced one yet to know how drastic it is or not, and impossible to predict not knowing the next sets and what archetypes lose support in rotation.

Soldiers I'd be happy to go, or for it to not need 30 rares I don't have. My decks are not good against it.

I like my Monoblack control and aggro decks, but they are also braindead and are way strong without much strategic thought. It's also amazing so I can't not play it when I want to win or have a black quest or kill creatures. I want some graveyard and zombies and weird poo poo, not secretly red aggro with super efficient removal.

Both the 3 colour decks I've seen in meta I also don't like seeing, purely because of jealousy, I don't have the manabase for even 2 colours really and 3 is even more out of reach. I'm slowly building up better mana from more recent sets, so maybe come rotation better hope for lands that don't come in tapped.

And despite all that I'd say this current meta is alright. Seems like there's at least one decent mono colour option for each. I think the only deck I have that moment of "do i leave and go have fun with another stranger instead, or stick around and watch this fucker cast and dig for spells to cast on their rot priests?" is with rotpriest. It's not that strong, it's main strength is making you not want to bother.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Soldiers I'd be happy to go, or for it to not need 30 rares I don't have. My decks are not good against it.

Soldiers is like 80% from Dom united and brothers war, and 99% of the core pieces are from those two sets, do it'll be sticking around.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Adanto Vanguard will return and make it even stronger lmao

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

reignonyourparade posted:

Soldiers is like 80% from Dom united and brothers war, and 99% of the core pieces are from those two sets, do it'll be sticking around.

Yeah I blew 30 rares to craft soldiers from scratch because it has legs.

It’s just such a good deck, every individual soldier makes your opponent say “ah gently caress I gotta kill this guy”. I know it gets a lot of flak for being brain dead “all attack” but there’s some interaction with the lands and the Cathars, knowing when to play and when to hold.

Just a super fun deck of cool cards being bros.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hope any future sets introduce some new sweepers. I'm going to miss Farewell, Vanquish the Horde, and Depopulate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think wotc has learned their lesson that just like 2 mana black kill spells, it’s healthy for a format to have 4 mana wraths.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Honestly surprising just bc I never checked the sets and just assumed since those were by far the decks I had the least parts for, they were the sets I didn't play. I was playing during DOM and BRO. I didn't draft Dominaria though and it seems I just have the perfect gaps in my collection for soldiers, plus no good UW lands.

I did my black quests with Monoblack control today on explorer and historic ranked and I faced a few mono greens that either I removed their early ramp creatures and was smashing the whole time or I'd get overrun by big giant monsters before I could removed em all. Then faced a few monored aggro decks and there's a 1/1 that gets +1 counters when casting burn spells, then can remove those counters to do something else crazy. Very wild compared to like, a flying 1/1 haste baby bird lol

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it seems extremely guaranteed to me that a new white sweeper shows up. what i'm hoping for is a good black token generator. there's a bunch of recent good sac cards in black (vraan, transmogrant's crown, braids), but the only monoblack token generator worth a crap is jadar, and he's going away soon. if i dont get a replacement i'll have to branch into red for urabrask's forge, and i really dont want to spend wildcards on lands

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There isn't really anything that I'm like "god drat, gently caress that card, I can't wait til it's gone" but I will absolutely enjoy Fable, Harvester, and Tenacious D leaving. They're so good they absolutely warp red, black, Rakdos, and the larger metagame around them. It feels like they're the core of so many decks that don't really feel like they have terribly different gameplay. They're not oppressively unfun, but I do think they are stagnating on an innovative level.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

There isn't really anything that I'm like "god drat, gently caress that card, I can't wait til it's gone"

Thalia on the play makes me feel that way sometimes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've been seeing way less Tenacious Underdog lately. Players are running more exile & graveyard hate these days.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

There isn't really anything that I'm like "god drat, gently caress that card, I can't wait til it's gone" but I will absolutely enjoy Fable, Harvester, and Tenacious D leaving. They're so good they absolutely warp red, black, Rakdos, and the larger metagame around them. It feels like they're the core of so many decks that don't really feel like they have terribly different gameplay. They're not oppressively unfun, but I do think they are stagnating on an innovative level.
Harvester and underdog can be mostly answered with removal because the majority of their value is in their 3/2 bodies being cast for 2 mana. Fable and wedding announcement on the other hand are so good if you're red or white and not playing 4x of each you're just building your deck wrong (unless you're playing aggro). What are you going to do, maindeck enchantment removal? The answer is of course yes, which is why you see incestuous poo poo like white based midrange playing multiple Loren to gently caress each other.

They're still individually better than chariot from last standard but I really wish they'd stop designing powerful enchantments and artifacts that also gives out and/or are bodies.

Venuz Patrol posted:

it seems extremely guaranteed to me that a new white sweeper shows up.
I wonder how good a hypothetical "realmskar" would be at 3{w/p}{w/p}. Third turn doomskar wasn't busted, but part of that was being able to play around it, then again taking more damage isn't really what you want from a sweeper.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Thalia on the play makes me feel that way sometimes.

I play a lot of mono-white in different formats and even I get :geno: at seeing a t2 Thalia when I'm on the draw. It's almost as bad as a t1 Esper Sentinel.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Algid posted:

Harvester and underdog can be mostly answered with removal because the majority of their value is in their 3/2 bodies being cast for 2 mana. Fable and wedding announcement on the other hand are so good if you're red or white and not playing 4x of each you're just building your deck wrong (unless you're playing aggro). What are you going to do, maindeck enchantment removal? The answer is of course yes, which is why you see incestuous poo poo like white based midrange playing multiple Loren to gently caress each other.

They're still individually better than chariot from last standard but I really wish they'd stop designing powerful enchantments and artifacts that also gives out and/or are bodies.

I wonder how good a hypothetical "realmskar" would be at 3{w/p}{w/p}. Third turn doomskar wasn't busted, but part of that was being able to play around it, then again taking more damage isn't really what you want from a sweeper.

a colorless 3 mana sweeper would be the best sweeper ever printed by such a large margin it would be in every control deck and probably midrange deck sideboards to reset things if aggro got away from them.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Oh yeah, knew I forgot something lol, colorless would make it way better than doomskar.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
A sweeper for 1WW(b/p)(b/p) might be better balanced.

Or a compleat languish as part of non planeswalker cards with phyrexian downsides:
y(B/p)(B/p)(B/p)(B)
each creature gets -x/-x where x is the amount of mana spent to cast this spell

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Horace Kinch posted:

I've been seeing way less Tenacious Underdog lately. Players are running more exile & graveyard hate these days.

It also just feels too slow / too small these days.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

VictualSquid posted:

A sweeper for 1WW(b/p)(b/p) might be better balanced.

Or a compleat languish as part of non planeswalker cards with phyrexian downsides:
y(B/p)(B/p)(B/p)(B)
each creature gets -x/-x where x is the amount of mana spent to cast this spell
At least in explorer/historic control lready has temporary lockdown which between that, supreme judgement and farewell makes me want to pull my hair out when I play Tyvar sac.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

putting in the reps... still early to tell, especially since I'm still in Plat, but feels good, sounds good

T4 Atraxa is not just a possibility, it happens a lot. And sometimes they just die to menace creatures smashing through. I have not had a problem with Phyrexian Obliterator, it either can't do anything against Atraxa or I have a pile of treasures to pay and I just go around. I haven't seen the white version though lol, that seems like it would be a bit more of a problem

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Post the decklist I wanna try

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

do you think you get some wins because people don’t realize what they’re playing against? It’s just so funny to see Atraxa alongside a phoenix chick

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Post the decklist I wanna try

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This version seems cracked tho lol, it has more of the aggro beatdown spirit and maybe you hardcast atraxa from your hand, I might try this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y7tdLbqW_4

Deck
2 Sulfurous Springs (DMU) 256
2 Battlefield Forge (BRO) 257
4 Shivan Reef (DMU) 255
2 Karplusan Forest (DMU) 250
4 Lightning Strike (DMU) 137
2 Atsushi, the Blazing Sky (NEO) 134
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
4 Goldhound (SNC) 108
4 Professional Face-Breaker (SNC) 116
4 Riveteers Requisitioner (SNC) 121
4 Sticky Fingers (SNC) 124
3 Phoenix Chick (DMU) 140
2 Shivan Devastator (DMU) 143
3 Bitter Reunion (BRO) 127
4 Atraxa, Grand Unifier (ONE) 196
11 Mountain (ANA) 8

The video has Feldon, Play with Fire, and Bloodthirsty Adversary but the printed list is what I'm playing, one could tune it a bit or have a sideboard for bo3 I suppose

Rinkles posted:

do you think you get some wins because people don’t realize what they’re playing against? It’s just so funny to see Atraxa alongside a phoenix chick

I did have an Anointed Peacekeeper take a very long time looking at my hand when they saw that lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Am I crazy or is this the best standard has been in forever?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's definitely a huge amount of variety. most colors even have multiple viable completely different decks associated with them, too- it's a real headache for me when someone plays a blue-white land on turn 1 and i have no idea if i should be preparing for an extremely fast paced or extremely slow paced game

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fadam posted:

Magic player says Magic is...good? :pusheen:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think if an average Bo3 match takes 20+ minutes it's a good sign that there's something good under the hood. I'm playing a low iq caveman deck (GW Toxic) and every match feels like both my opponent and I are struggling like crazy just to keep up.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 11, 2023

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

It’s definitely my favorite format on Arena right now. There are 4-6 good deck choices which is a lot for a standard format imo. You can also win with plenty of other random things. I have a good winrate with Mishra Meld aggro when I’m in the mood to meld.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did another blind draft, strixhaven this time. Never played with lesson cards before, but knew how they functioned because the commander fun police won't let the mechanic work in commander.

I got a Plargg Dean of Fire / Lady of weird buffs x2 so went Boros which was pretty open anyway. My deck is not great I don't think, lost first match, and Imy second match was real shaky despite having a good opening hand and curve for dropping a creature every turn. Just most of them have 1 or 2 attack, and weird abilities with mild synergy potential.

Opponent was playing 3 colours, and I got down to 4 and then 8 health thinking I might honestly lose to this guy who played a vanilla minion! It was like a green 4/3 or something, I legit reread the flavour text twice before realizing this card did nothing else... And I might lose to it. I then played this kind of bad card I definitely misread when adding to my deck, because I was counting on it bringing back a creature and my 5 mana exile sorcery from my graveyard, but the one thing it doesn't bring back is a creature lol. However, that lesson spell removed his flying threat after I removed his 10/11 creature. Didn't even read it, just exiled it immediately lol.

Then this guy drops a Codie, a card I passed on twice in the draft myself, and then he actually uses it's ability once to pull some spell that summoned more tokens I had to deal with. I could tell he really wanted me to kill his Codie for him, but I kept using my gentle 1/5 guy to block it lol.

Felt good winning after a few turns of him being unable to play anything, and me finally getting some synergy payoff while whittling him down with a couple of 1 power creatures, just in case he pulled something out of his rear end to hit me left most creatures on defense.

The white prison spell in this set is hilariously bad, I threw it in thinking I just needed more removal and did not realize opponent can just pay 3 to delete it. I still got a turn of damage out of it, but it was funny watching him and me both mousing over it and realizing how... Ineffective it was.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Strixhaven was a great format, but definitely not something that's easy to just jump into.

Codie is a cool card but you need to build your entire deck around it, or with it mind at least.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My opponent was surprised and stymied by the You Cannot Play Permanent Cards aspect. We both lost our first matches so I think we both went in equally oblivious and bad at drafting anyway.

One of my Doofus drafting strategies, is when in doubt, grab the cheap flyer. I got 2 of this flying 1/4 in there just because sometimes sneaking that 1 damage in over and over can win the game, or peck a while until they get scared and use good removal on it, letting me play something stronger with less risk.

edit: burned all my rare wildcards to build this monored atraxa deck. treasury aggro deck with surprise atraxa, cool. oops, already won a game with it.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 11, 2023

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Any thoughts on this draft? I haven't really cut anything yet.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Carillon posted:

Any thoughts on this draft? I haven't really cut anything yet.

It looks too stompy/oily to need any of the Toxic cards.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

fadam posted:

I feel like neon dynasty into SNC was better in every way so that's a pretty short forever but I certainly feel like it's perfectly fine and i struggle to think of what sort of standard most of the complainers WOULD find satsifying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Monored Atraxa is fantastic, playing this basic monored deck but with five colours that don't get used except for this one card. I'm getting her out surprisingly early, especially if I don't get greedy and burn my treasures on more aggro.

This deck also has more toys than my normal red decks. I get an enchantment that isn't kumano, a buff to cast, treasure chests, weird dogs. I love this deck already. It's like having my cake and then deciding, eh, why not thanksgiving dinner too?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nice perk of playing blue is that more controlling opponents respect the possibility of you having counters even if you don’t… which then gives you time to draw them.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

space uncle posted:

Thanks, that's a great outside perspective, I can get too into my own head around what to cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

space uncle posted:

do this but keep the indoctrination attendants since they combo with the equipment and 4 defense is nice to have in ONE drafting