Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

VitalSigns posted:

Why doesn't the bank just mint a proprietary token pegged 1:1 to the US dollar and pay their depositors back with that.

They could announce they'll redeem X amount of their tokens for USD every year where X is the coupon payments on all their low interest bonds then they wouldn't have to have any asset fire sales.
I mean that's what the receivership certificate is. They just have the dignity to not be saying "we're still a bank!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Considering how consolidated the banking sector became after the 09 crisis, is the 16th largest bank even big enough to be too-big-to-fail?

I mean obviously not if it's getting liquidated instead of congress voting to give them a bajillion dollars no-strings-attached

so in literally hundreds of cases banks fail and the fdic quietly brokers a sale where the fdic guarantees some of the losses to the buyer. the fdic would have done that had the bank made it to 5:30 today over the weekend.

however, SVB had $43 billion in withdrawals yesterday and were almost a billion in the red cash-wise at the end of yesterday, so, uh, they could not

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Those startups in need of above investors can join my new site for tech entrepreneurs, onlyfunds.com

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 10, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Those startups in need of above investors can join my new site for tech
entrepreneurs, onlyfunds.com

There is 0% chance that onlyfunds.com is not already a thing and exactly what you are joking about. I don't even need to look it up.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 11, 2023

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie

Aramis posted:

There is 0% chance that onlyfunds.com is not already a things and exactly what you are joking about. I don't even need to look it up.

It does and it is, in fact, exactly what you think it is.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
No product, only funds!
:woof:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

jokes posted:

Big banks are usually way more regulated and are way more on top of their compliance, lol

*Looks at Wells Fargo's weekly criminal fine for knowingly laundering cartel proceeds, fraudulently opening accounts for random people to collect fees, etc.* Uh, no, Peg.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

USDC might be depegging;
https://www.coindesk.com/markets/2023/03/11/usdc-stablecoin-depegs-from-1-circle-says-operations-are-normal/

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is this poo poo with SVB going to cause a RealEconomy major problem or is it just going to be a bad fart?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Nessus posted:

Is this poo poo with SVB going to cause a RealEconomy major problem or is it just going to be a bad fart?
SVB wasn't systemic but a bunch of tech companies might have liquidity issues that might cause them to have problems; we'll see how bad those are. The issue isn't necessarily that SVB is some highly integral part of the banking system, but that a ton of banks kept a ton of treasuries during the zero-rate days and we don't know how much of it is going to wreck balance sheets since gov't bonds are high grade assets that banks like to keep for their reserve requirements. Ideally most banks are better capitalized in more diversified ways than a giant pile of bonds, and that they aren't beholden to a very specific industry that is undergoing a bit of turmoil.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sentient Data posted:

No product, only funds!
:woof:

that is in no way the bitcoin mantra

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/binance/status/1634361554543030273

Everything is fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kw0134 posted:

SVB wasn't systemic but a bunch of tech companies might have liquidity issues that might cause them to have problems; we'll see how bad those are. The issue isn't necessarily that SVB is some highly integral part of the banking system, but that a ton of banks kept a ton of treasuries during the zero-rate days and we don't know how much of it is going to wreck balance sheets since gov't bonds are high grade assets that banks like to keep for their reserve requirements. Ideally most banks are better capitalized in more diversified ways than a giant pile of bonds, and that they aren't beholden to a very specific industry that is undergoing a bit of turmoil.
Was Peter Thiel involved here? I am mostly hoping this kills the butts without killing, you know

the other stuff.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

normal risk-management procedural step to take while we monitor the situation.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nessus posted:

Was Peter Thiel involved here?
Supposedly his Founders Fund was one of the entities telling people to withdraw their cash on Thursday.

If that’s true, then yes he is.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/parrotcapital/status/1634368550696816640?s=46&t=OVkU_Z8nK0TNmzLIuCYVFg

Thank you, Satan!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ok, now if SVB was indeed holding a non-trivial amount of the fiat holding up USDC...

Then I take back what I said earlier. The repercussions of this mess have the potential to make some serious sparks fly.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Kind of got buried in divabot's feed among the excitement, but

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1633984881028890625

If this lawsuit is successful, can this be cited as precedent in administrative rule-making that ETH, etc. are securities?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1634385275848921089

https://twitter.com/PeckShieldAlert/status/1634387076170010625

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I know that this is probably going to be nothing tomorrow because idiots keep buying in and we're not allowed joy in this world but, just in case it does crash some poo poo:

L
M
A
O

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Yesssssss.

https://twitter.com/circle/status/1634391505988206592?s=20

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

istewart posted:

Kind of got buried in divabot's feed among the excitement, but

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1633984881028890625

If this lawsuit is successful, can this be cited as precedent in administrative rule-making that ETH, etc. are securities?

This is in state court so if it becomes precedent it would only apply in New York.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

jack’s mom: what the gently caress do you mean “he paid in beenz”??!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Lemme turn this chair around backwards, sit down, and comment that we're all having a lot of fun here today but Silicon Valley Bank was founded in 1983, it survived the dotcom crash, and while it seems that they were pretty badly mismanaged lately, pretending they're another crypto scam run by idiot techbros is kind of stupid. Up until they were news, they were just a bank. I assume their regular operations were more or less as boring and conservative as most banks, or at least as boring and conservative as you can be when your customers are VCs and companies building Snapchat But For Dogs.

Also one of their founders was named Bill Biggerstaff and that's a pretty funny name.

Willy Bigdick is a funny name but he got outfunnied by Scam Bankman-Fraud and we know how that story went, so

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

It took me way too long to realize they're actually taking about real money for once, loving lol if that money was actually there (and even if not it's the perfect smokescreen/scapegoat while fleeing the country)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This is a situation that sophisticated financial analysts would say is "lol. Lmao, even."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/coinbase/status/1634399032767307776

Everything is fine, normal business operations on Monday, we promise!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Three Olives posted:

"We have enough reserves!"

"Can we convert now?"

"No - all the reserves are elsewhere!"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I say to bitcoiners: HAVE FUN STAYING POOR LOL

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Horseshoe theory posted:

"We have enough reserves!"

"Can we convert now?"

"No - all the reserves are elsewhere!"
(Scrooge McDuck dives into a silo filled with malfunctioning video cards)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

well, most banks do only work on weekdays

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

well, most banks do only work on weekdays

but....

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

cool. call me when I can pay my rent with bitcoin

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

But you can only exchange using Coinbase, Binance, etc. and they're all 'updating' or whatever over the weekend?! :confused:

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
The Fed is likely gonna shotgun marriage SVB and cover all depositors ala Bear Stearns in 2008, and USDC will get bailed out via that. That's too bad, because the crypto bros were about to learn a valuable lesson. Too many dumb silicon valley companies are going to get hurt if they just do FDIC coverage, so there will be a lot of pressure to get something done.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vietnom nom nom posted:

The Fed is likely gonna shotgun marriage SVB and cover all depositors ala Bear Stearns in 2008, and USDC will get bailed out via that. That's too bad, because the crypto bros were about to learn a valuable lesson. Too many dumb silicon valley companies are going to get hurt if they just do FDIC coverage, so there will be a lot of pressure to get something done.

no silicon valley have FDIC insurance. I don't think you know what FDIC means

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
bagholders seriously love dumb graphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Nah, VCs will take a hit, the shareholders of SVB are going to get hosed harder. The only people who are probably going to just be mildly inconvenienced are depositors probably. Whether or not anyone will learn anything remains to be seen.