Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Aramis posted:

Sell these underwater assets to who? Aquaman?

I know they are not technically underwater, but the joke was right there. But my point stands: who would want those apart from at a massive discount?
These assets are still worth a lot of money, just less than they were. People will still want to buy them. Yes, a lot of money is being lost. That's why the bank became insolvent. However, the assets being worth less does not mean it will take their full maturity to liquidate them. That's just a total misunderstanding of how any of this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

These loans are currently worth 60 cents on the dollar. That's a far cry from what I'd call the "bulk"

Aramis fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 11, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Aramis posted:

These loans are currently worth 60 cents on the dollar. That's a far cry from what I'd call the "bulk"
Ok? But it won't take 15 years to get whatever they can back, that's literally my entire point.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I was specifically referring to this:

cat botherer posted:

Yeah but getting the bulk of the value back won't take 15 years.

I just think that taking a 40% loss (probably plus or minus 10% depending on the timeline) does not qualify as getting the bulk of the value back.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Personally, what I really want AI to be used in games is for ... AI

I mostly play strategy games and always single player, it would be really cool to have AIs that can actually play the games, instead of being dumb bricks with huge advantages

Agree with this.

Sports games and fighting games in particular could benefit a lot from AI learning that tracks and adapts to a player's tendencies instead of just making the opponent faster, stronger, etc. Like a basketball or football that learns your play calls over time or a Street Fighter game that knows what combos you like to go for and poo poo like that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
unless AI is cheaper and faster than just having internet multiplayer I doubt we're going to get good AI for games.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
when i play online it seems my teammates are all ai but the opponents are pro gamers trained by a multi million dollar coach

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OctaMurk posted:

when i play online it seems my teammates are all ai but the opponents are pro gamers trained by a multi million dollar coach

Score based matchmaking sucks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Twitter's full of this now:
https://twitter.com/Suhail/status/1634271484133924864
https://twitter.com/Suhail/status/1634290132093390849
https://twitter.com/EricNewcomer/status/1634300928621793283

:allears:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This schadenfreude tea tastes delicious.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

This schadenfreude tea tastes delicious.

Sadly it probably won't be the VCs losing their jobs.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

OddObserver posted:

Sadly it probably won't be the VCs losing their jobs.

Yeah but for this night at least, it’s funny.

Or, to quote the California thread:

CPColin posted:

What else is there to say besides "lol. lmao."?

If this was the Darwin Awards: Recession Edition, SVB would be getting top billing.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 11, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://www.levernews.com/svb-chief-pressed-lawmakers-to-weaken-bank-risk-regs/

quote:

SVB Chief Pressed Lawmakers To Weaken Bank Risk Regs

Eight years before the second-largest bank failure in American history occurred this week, the bank’s president personally pressed Congress to reduce scrutiny of his financial institution, citing the “low risk profile of our activities and business model,” according to federal records reviewed by The Lever.

Three years later — after the bank spent more than half a million dollars on federal lobbying — lawmakers obliged.

On Friday, California regulators shut down the Silicon Valley Bank (SVB), a top lender to venture capital firms and tech startups, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation took it over, following a bank run by its customers. The bank reportedly did not have a chief risk officer in the months leading up to the collapse, while more than 90 percent of its deposits were not insured.

lol_lmao.gif

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

No idea who Suhail is but a quick glance at their Twitter makes me hope they lose everything and gently caress off into the abyss, never to be heard from again.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Evil Fluffy posted:

No idea who Suhail is but a quick glance at their Twitter makes me hope they lose everything and gently caress off into the abyss, never to be heard from again.
A "Pizzatarian, programmer, & music maker" who "Burned the boat. All in on AI."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Suhail Doshi, Mixpanel founder turned angel investor/boredillionaire. He's a sigma male of the VC Twitter, and the correct takeaway from the quote is refined Schadenfreude.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

A quick glance at his twitter suggests that he made a new account because he couldn't take all the "noise" made by people @'ing him to lol and lmao.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fast Company is reporting that Peter Thiel started the bank run by calling his investors and telling them to get their money out.
https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1634600754848702465

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This was entirely a case of VC devouring itself

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"Goya's Saturn Devouring His Children except with Peter Thiel's face"

Ok AI Art, go.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

"Goya's Saturn Devouring His Children except with Peter Thiel's face"

Ok AI Art, go.

Not the best outputs, but meh on spending more time on it.

Prompts were generated in Midjourney. Second one was yours exactly, first one I replaced "His Children" with "His Son" and told it to replace Saturn with Peter Thiel. I particularly love that it generated a pizza.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The upper left one looks like one hell of a pizza party. Wonder if I could make a fun avatar off of that panning around the picture and freezing on the pizza or something.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
There's a clever new innovation in the crypto space to solve all your cold storage needs and make your crypto accessible and even tangible offline - printed notes. Innovation never stops and the future is looking brighter every day.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

There's a clever new innovation in the crypto space to solve all your cold storage needs and make your crypto accessible and even tangible offline - printed notes. Innovation never stops and the future is looking brighter every day.

We will never support dirty fiat, unless we can print our own!

- coiners

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
cinci edit: deleted the post

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 11, 2023

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

feedmyleg posted:

I mean they weren't that gross.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/BowTiedPickle/status/1634415551450587138

Dude listed $2,000,000 worth of USDC assets and received $0.05 worth of USDT assets. Let’s pray for this poor soul and hope that his $0.05 goes up uP UP to the moon soon.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 11, 2023

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Sigh, company I work for (hotel pricing tech) just issued a statement that we've banked with SVB for years 😩 great. Mid month payroll hosed, I'm paid end of month so hopefully things resolve in one way or another before then.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://twitter.com/BowTiedPickle/status/1634415551450587138

Dude listed $2,000,000 worth of USDC assets and received $0.05 worth of USDT assets. Let’s pray for this poor soul and hope that his $0.05 goes up uP UP to the moon soon.

After reading the thread, I know even less about how it happened. Decentralized calvinball is how i'd characterize it

Mourning Due posted:

Sigh, company I work for (hotel pricing tech) just issued a statement that we've banked with SVB for years 😩 great. Mid month payroll hosed, I'm paid end of month so hopefully things resolve in one way or another before then.

Our company uses rippling, and friday was payday. Hopefully we get paid on monday? who the gently caress knows

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HolHorsejob posted:

Our company uses rippling, and friday was payday. Hopefully we get paid on monday? who the gently caress knows

Some Rippling executive wasn't super optimistic about that on Twitter, but fingers crossed.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Rippling’s connection to SVB is processing, not holding funds, and they’ve already moved to another bank for that. I suspect Rippling’s bad Friday will be a tiny blip relative to other messes, especially if there’s no guarantee in place for uninsured SVB deposits by Monday morning.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This "added context" business is a surprising ratio-adjacent own (I will touch grass I promise)

Copying over the links:
https://files.stlouisfed.org/files/htdocs/publications/review/08/03/Poole.pdf
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/03/10/why-silicon-valley-bank-may-be-the-ideal-candidate-for-a-bailout.html
https://time.com/6262009/silicon-valley-bank-deposit-insurance/
https://www.fdic.gov/resources/depo...sit%20insurance

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Everytime I see "Where is Powell? Where's Yellen?" I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJQE54SfTU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Where's Powell? Where's Yellen?
Where's Robert Muller and the rule of law?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What are you saying?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-11/svb-draws-support-from-more-than-100-venture-firms-investors

It appears that there's going to be a big lobbying push from SF venture capital to have the Congress bail out SVB, to avoid an “extinction-level event” for tech companies, as some are saying. Some pretty big names – General Catalyst, Sequoia, Y Combinator, Khosla, and so on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Let them die.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-11/svb-draws-support-from-more-than-100-venture-firms-investors

It appears that there's going to be a big lobbying push from SF venture capital to have the Congress bail out SVB, to avoid an “extinction-level event” for tech companies, as some are saying. Some pretty big names – General Catalyst, Sequoia, Y Combinator, Khosla, and so on.

Tech companies have never been less popular, so this should lead to some interesting outcomes.

it's unclear to me that tech startups (more accurately, their employees) deserve to starve because a bank invested really poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Name Change posted:

it's unclear to me that tech startups (more accurately, their employees) deserve to starve because a bank invested really poorly.

"Starve" is wild hyperbole for 99% of startup employees. Unemployment insurance exists.