Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Ariamaki posted:

They generally have strong side-effects and work best at low sanity: Rodion even has an easy way to keep her SP low! What Is Cast, her default Zayin EGO, gives her a passive that drops her SP whenever anybody dies on either side. This means she'll crater out quickly in multi-wave human fights and be able to reliably Corrode into a string of brutal (if uncontrollable) Fourth Match Flames.

But like MotU said, their rolls are by no means BAD if you hit Heads, so just consider it an upside for these particular Identities when they're shaken or rattled.

Oh, so that's why she panicked that one time in the mirror dungeon.

Even using a blunt team with the highest stats I can muster, I'm still hitting roadblocks on the Inquisitor level curve. I know I only have one fight to go before the dungeon, but I'm just gonna take a break for the day and go back to the mirror dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Shastahanshah posted:

I can't tell if I'm not getting something or if the fights really are just more RNG than Ruina.

I feel like a fight is more determined by if say, Hong Lu gets Shank or Throat Slice in his grid that turn than anything else.

In case of unfavorable clashes you bust out the defensive dice or EGO, as a rule of thumb. And in a more meta sense, the strategy in this game is less about what you do with your individual sinners (since each of them only gets 3 moves + defense + EGO) and more about your overall team combination and how they play with whatever enemies you're likely to face. And when it comes to the Tingtang man more specifically, he's a bit unreliable as a clasher in the first place despite Shank's power in that regard because he's got 2 attacks with just a single coin. Best way to try and alleviate this is to do your best to get the throat slits and mutilates out of your skill cycle by using them if you get one-sided attacks. He's a big damage dealer and excellent at killing enemies, but yes, he has a notable weakness in that he's kinda meh at clashing unless he gets Shank or you feel like gambling on Mutilate. If that causes you to lose a lot of fights, you might want to swap him for a more reliable clasher.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly I do feel like single coin attacks are just. Bad. Which makes Base Ishmael terrible despite having a great EGO, unique debuff among bases and being the perfect type for Chapter 3 AKA the current endgame. They really need to wonder about it.

On contrast, I feel like people massively underrate Base Hong Lu because of the Kurokumo and Tingtang memes. He has a "if not damaged, 2 extra power" which activates turn 1 and Whirlwind is just insane against Blunt weak enemies. His only issue is having the worst EGO in terms of cost.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Single coin attacks that can be conditionally very powerful like Mutilate can be useful in clashes against highly potent enemy attacks that have target numbers you'd have trouble reaching with multi-die attacks if you have high sanity, but yeah, even then they're obviously a gamble. Otherwise they're more for utility than winning clashes.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
One thing I appreciate about Gregor's Legerdemain in dungeons: the whole "halve your end-of-fight Sins and carry that much into the next fight" thing interacts nicely with the 3 Gluttony 1 Sloth cost. Just get a team with high Green counts (many of the three-000 characters count) and at least one charcter with 2x Sloth or more in their deck, then use Sloth twice in an early fight and at least once more in every fight after. Ta-dah, you can "carry" Legerdemain through the whole dungeon, keeping it ready for when you need it. Or, you know, so you can Elixir-hoard the EGO and go through the whole thing without ever touching it, one of the two. :v:

The other AOE EGO are way less reasonable cost-wise, so that's much harder to do outside of Legerdemain. Gives Gregor a nice little niche.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theantero posted:

In case of unfavorable clashes you bust out the defensive dice or EGO, as a rule of thumb. And in a more meta sense, the strategy in this game is less about what you do with your individual sinners (since each of them only gets 3 moves + defense + EGO) and more about your overall team combination and how they play with whatever enemies you're likely to face. And when it comes to the Tingtang man more specifically, he's a bit unreliable as a clasher in the first place despite Shank's power in that regard because he's got 2 attacks with just a single coin. Best way to try and alleviate this is to do your best to get the throat slits and mutilates out of your skill cycle by using them if you get one-sided attacks. He's a big damage dealer and excellent at killing enemies, but yes, he has a notable weakness in that he's kinda meh at clashing unless he gets Shank or you feel like gambling on Mutilate. If that causes you to lose a lot of fights, you might want to swap him for a more reliable clasher.

I'm not sure the team building makes a huge difference yet, I didn't really get how the resource stuff worked and it usually worked out with a few exceptions.

Defensive dice just seem kind of bad to me though, like a 2-12 dodge doesn't really seem that much better than a 6-10 attack. Maybe it's just a question of encounter design though, since this is all from the first wave of content and PM hasn't had time to get any feedback on stuff. I did think Ruina was basically perfect though so maybe I'm just a bit down that it's gotten simpler.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Shastahanshah posted:

I'm not sure the team building makes a huge difference yet, I didn't really get how the resource stuff worked and it usually worked out with a few exceptions.

Defensive dice just seem kind of bad to me though, like a 2-12 dodge doesn't really seem that much better than a 6-10 attack. Maybe it's just a question of encounter design though, since this is all from the first wave of content and PM hasn't had time to get any feedback on stuff. I did think Ruina was basically perfect though so maybe I'm just a bit down that it's gotten simpler.

clashes give the winner +3% damage for every interaction contained within. a 2 die vs 2 die, assuming a tie and two wins, gets +9% damage bonus. I've had clashes go up to 10 before. Defensive dice don't count as clashes, and won't give a damage bonus.
That said, most are pretty bad right now, though mariachi sinclair gets harder to stagger on evade win, and N Corp Meursault gains protection on combat start + his counter skill is Red, which is nice to activate passives.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

DuoRogue posted:

clashes give the winner +3% damage for every interaction contained within. a 2 die vs 2 die, assuming a tie and two wins, gets +9% damage bonus. I've had clashes go up to 10 before. Defensive dice don't count as clashes, and won't give a damage bonus.
That said, most are pretty bad right now, though mariachi sinclair gets harder to stagger on evade win, and N Corp Meursault gains protection on combat start + his counter skill is Red, which is nice to activate passives.

There are a few other Defenses with side-effects now, not sure if it had always been the case but I believe somebody (another Sinclair?) gets a Slash damage bonus next turn on using their defensive coin.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Honestly I do feel like single coin attacks are just. Bad. Which makes Base Ishmael terrible despite having a great EGO, unique debuff among bases and being the perfect type for Chapter 3 AKA the current endgame. They really need to wonder about it.

On contrast, I feel like people massively underrate Base Hong Lu because of the Kurokumo and Tingtang memes. He has a "if not damaged, 2 extra power" which activates turn 1 and Whirlwind is just insane against Blunt weak enemies. His only issue is having the worst EGO in terms of cost.

Single coin attacks are actually quite good as long as you're clashing with them / using them one-sidedly in an intelligent manner. There's definitely a risk involved, and you obviously don't want to throw your mono-coin attack into their 3 or 4 parter, but when used correctly they can do a lot of work. Base Ishmael and base Heathcliff just carried a friend of mine more or less single-handedly through all of Chapter 3's worst pre-dungeon fights.

And yes, base Hong Lu is quite solid, especially because his EGO has such a bad cost for a reason: I put together a team composition the other day using Hong Lu, Faust, and Gregor to combine all the current AoE ZAYINs and the result was unstoppable.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

hong lu's ego is AOE blunt damage so it just ravages n corp guys

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Can someone explain what resonance and absonance* actually do? Also, for passives that work off absonance, what number do I put in the slot for purposes of calculation?

*"absolute resonance" is a mouthful

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
okay I quite like kurokomo ryoshu but her second uptie is expensive and I'm still hoping for LCCB Rodion to fill out my default team

"just replace mariachi Sinclair with rodion when you get her" no

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Quackles posted:

Can someone explain what resonance and absonance* actually do? Also, for passives that work off absonance, what number do I put in the slot for purposes of calculation?

*"absolute resonance" is a mouthful

Resonance increased the damage of each subsequent skill of that colour so the last skill gets the biggest boost, absolute resonance (3 in a row linked) empowers all skills of that colour equal to the final resonance instead of increasing for each skill individually.

So if you have 3 skills resonating with a different skill between them, skill 3 gets more benefit than skill 2 whivh gets more benefit than skill 1. However if all 3 are in a line, all of them get the benefit equal to skill 3, and further resonance, chain broken or unbroken, also increase the shared maximum benefit for all skills of that colour.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So it's just damage... OK. And how are passives like Hong Lu's EGO passive "Ripple" calculated? If I chain 3 Gloom skills in a row, does an ally heal 3 SP at turn start, or 6, or what?

quote:

Ripple

Turn Start: Heal SP for the ally with the lowest SP by (Gloom Abs.), excluding those in panic.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
resonance gives you a few tiny irrelevant percentage points of damage bonus, starting at 0% for the first skill, then 4%, 6%, 8%, etc further in the chain. (this reddit post, mentioned in this thread before, goes into details on the combat formula)
absolute resonance is the same except everything gets the highest bonus, so instead of 0 4 6 8 you'd have +8% to all the matching-color skills

more importantly, it also works to activate passives and support skills, which each a minimum resonance to trigger them.
for example, LCB Faust's passive is "deal +10% damage against units with negative status effects", and needs pride resonance x2 to activate. that means the passive will take effect on turns where you use at least two dark-blue pride skills.
identity passives like this are only active for one turn.

efb

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Quackles posted:

So it's just damage... OK. And how are passives like Hong Lu's EGO passive "Ripple" calculated? If I chain 3 Gloom skills in a row, does an ally heal 3 SP at turn start, or 6, or what?

3 SP, 4 with 4 5 with 5 etc.

It basically heals equal to the number of Gloom you have resonating if you activate absolute resonance, although you only need a chain of 3 in a row to start it.

If something scales differently, they will directly state the formula for it. So for example some passives have (wrath resonance divided by 3) as their calculation of the benefit.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, OK. And I assume that if it's /2 etc, it rounds down. Got it.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
theyve stated that res and a-res are going to impact clashes in some capacity, so theyre more than just damage, but i also doubt it'll be particularly noticable.

Ariamaki posted:

Single coin attacks are actually quite good as long as you're clashing with them / using them one-sidedly in an intelligent manner.

I don't mind single-coin attacks in theory, but when your single coin is some bullshit like 6+16 or 5+25 and all it takes is a single tails flip to make it worthless, then I have issues.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Mutilate is really funny, though. :colbert:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Mutilate is even worse with that, since the reuse coin (read: the one hitting a second target) has +100% damage on Heads, so getting Tails on the second Mutilate is basically -50 power. But hey, if you have 45 SP when you start, you have a 49% chance of getting both Heads in a row!

(Tingtang is fun but I've decided to stop using it, for blood pressure reasons)

On a funny note, the second Mutilate is always unopposed but it can still trip defensive actions, including Counters, including the mutated Inquisitors that use your attacks right back. I discovered this by accident but got unlucky, so I'm sure at least one player's Tingtang Gangleader has taken a 60 power coin straight to the dome from those guys.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
lol

presumed ch3 boss spoilers: just pulled headless ichthys as my mirror dungeon final boss for the first time and got completely drat demolished, first actual mirror loss

got it down to literally 35hp but mariachi sinclair just couldn't get us over the finish line

fun fact: when you pull in your leftover sinners in a mirror dungeon, the boss doesn't stay at its damaged hp like library of ruina, it heals up to full

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

frankly irritated that i couldn't finish it with generic Rodion and Ryoshu, that would have been satisfying and also funny

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Fighting that drat Apple Boss in the Mirror Dungeon and having Yuri die over and over again and seeing her head on that stalk is a kind of drat nightmare.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

Quackles posted:

Ah, OK. And I assume that if it's /2 etc, it rounds down. Got it.

Big thing everybody forgot to mention: As of this patch, getting enough Resonance also directly improves skill power, which can boost your final value in clashes and also boosts damage further.
I also do believe the damage ratio from the linked post is now wrong, and the real value is much better, as they updated and improved a lot of the smaller percent values this patch.

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 11, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KobunFan posted:

Fighting that drat Apple Boss in the Mirror Dungeon and having Yuri die over and over again and seeing her head on that stalk is a kind of drat nightmare.

Project Moon Megathread: a kind of drat nightmare

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Google Jeb Bush posted:

lol

presumed ch3 boss spoilers: just pulled headless ichthys as my mirror dungeon final boss for the first time and got completely drat demolished, first actual mirror loss

got it down to literally 35hp but mariachi sinclair just couldn't get us over the finish line

fun fact: when you pull in your leftover sinners in a mirror dungeon, the boss doesn't stay at its damaged hp like library of ruina, it heals up to full

that's not the boss of ch3 but it is, from the previews they've posted on twitter, the boss of the daily thread farming stage.
so get ready to see it a lot

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that's not the boss of ch3 but it is, from the previews they've posted on twitter, the boss of the daily thread farming stage.
so get ready to see it a lot

Being able to plan for it will help a bit imo.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Speaking of the Ch. 3 boss, boy howdy do I regret bringing N. Corp Rodion in my first attempt. 2nd attempt went better with base Sinclair, Meursault, Heathcliff, and G. Corp Gregor and Outis, but losing Gregor right before the 2nd phase pretty much doomed me.

gotta grind up the mirror dungeon for more EXP tickets since no one was above level 25, I guess

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm baffled by people claiming they did the chapter 3 boss at 20 or less because I just redid the whole dungeon to bring a 2nd team that's non-blunt, fire, bleed and they still can't win clashes in the first phase so when I reach the 2nd they're all weakened and die in the opening turns

I'm running Blade Lineage Yang Si and Outis, L Corp Faust, Shi Don, G Corp Gregor and they're all level 22.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i feel like there’s a big gap between people who have played LoR and not because when I did the boss I got hit maybe 3 times total but I also realized how goddamn brutal it would be for people either A) not rolling a lot for IDs/ EGOs B) people not used to manipulating speed dice order so you get unopposed attacks off before clashes in order to stagger or break early

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

MotU posted:

i feel like there’s a big gap between people who have played LoR and not because when I did the boss I got hit maybe 3 times total but I also realized how goddamn brutal it would be for people either A) not rolling a lot for IDs/ EGOs B) people not used to manipulating speed dice order so you get unopposed attacks off before clashes in order to stagger or break early

Yeah, I'm currently at the very end of Star of the City in my Ruina playthrough and I will say that experience and knowledge has been invaluable across the board, in all sorts of ways. Where and when to clash, speed manipulation and ordering, taking riskier clashes with resistant characters, reading every gimmick and passive very carefully...

Lakbay posted:

I'm baffled by people claiming they did the chapter 3 boss at 20 or less because I just redid the whole dungeon to bring a 2nd team that's non-blunt, fire, bleed and they still can't win clashes in the first phase so when I reach the 2nd they're all weakened and die in the opening turns

I'm running Blade Lineage Yang Si and Outis, L Corp Faust, Shi Don, G Corp Gregor and they're all level 22.

Are they all fully uptied? That honestly makes more of a difference than levels.
For what it's worth I beat the entire dungeon except the boss with a group in the mid-teens, and then farmed some XP tickets and did the boss first try with a team that was 23 sharp across the board: Liu Gregor, Liu Meursault, Base Heathcliff, LCCB Rodion, L Corp Faust. As others have said, you can bring Burn and Bleed as long as you make sure it expires before the turn starts, so try to avoid +Count on Burn and only apply Bleed when the boss has attacks left to use it up on.

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 11, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MotU posted:

Run that by me again. Unopposed attacks fire before clashes, and not in absolute speed die order?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Quackles posted:

Run that by me again. Unopposed attacks fire before clashes, and not in absolute speed die order?

So for example let's say you have

Enemy <Speed 2>

Sinner 1 <Speed 5>
Sinner 2 <Speed 4>
Sinner 3 <Speed 3>

If you target the enemy with Sinner 1, then Sinner 2, then Sinner 3, it will Clash with Sinner 3, but Sinner 1 and 2 will attack before that, unopposed.

Clashes will happen with the last attack selected, as long as the speed of the attack is high enough to redirect it

(Obviously this only works in Manual Targeting Battles)

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

TeeQueue posted:

Mutilate is really funny, though. :colbert:

hong lu seems to be having a great time during it, anyway :)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Ariamaki posted:

Are they all fully uptied? That honestly makes more of a difference than levels.
For what it's worth I beat the entire dungeon except the boss with a group in the mid-teens, and then farmed some XP tickets and did the boss first try with a team that was 23 sharp across the board: Liu Gregor, Liu Meursault, Base Heathcliff, LCCB Rodion, L Corp Faust. As others have said, you can bring Burn and Bleed as long as you make sure it expires before the turn starts, so try to avoid +Count on Burn and only apply Bleed when the boss has attacks left to use it up on.

They're fully uptied except for Shi Don who's only at uptie II. I also beat everything in LoR except Keter Realization so I think I just don't understand the quirks of LC's combat system.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Selecting clashes sucks in this game, it's way harder to tell what's going where. Makes me just want to smash the auto button every time.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
There's a little 3-arrows button in the upper left for Abnormality fights at least that shows where everything's going. It's come in handy for me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

There's a little 3-arrows button in the upper left for Abnormality fights at least that shows where everything's going. It's come in handy for me.

Oh yeah I use it, but I have a much harder time seeing them clearly, especially in fights where you've got a bunch of enemies with multiple actions each. Like I mean actually seeing, with the way the lines fade out as they approach their origins. And then when you click and drag from one of the icons at the bottom of the screen your view zooms in and shifts all the way to the right so it becomes tough to see where the arrows are landing among your characters.

I've found clicking and dragging on the background to move the camera closer to the ground makes it a little easier to see the arrow paths at least.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Haha what the hell I lost a Kromer attempt at level 23 but the game bugged and counted it as a win and I got credits rolled and chapter cleared. I guess I'll take it

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Is Tomorrow's Fortune (the ego gift) bugged, or do I just not understand when it's supposed to proc? I chose it early in one of my mirror runs but didn't actually get any extra choices at any point in the run.

Also how safe is this thread for someone who's only really played limbus and doesn't want to get spoiled on library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Is Tomorrow's Fortune (the ego gift) bugged, or do I just not understand when it's supposed to proc? I chose it early in one of my mirror runs but didn't actually get any extra choices at any point in the run.

Also how safe is this thread for someone who's only really played limbus and doesn't want to get spoiled on library

It's not bugged, there's a fourth one. And you have to swipe to the left to move them to see it.

I figured this out by accident.

As for how safe it is... probably safe as long as you don't look back. This is basically LimbusChat now.