Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I just don't get how you fight the heide knights other than parrying or backstab, every time i hit them they recover so quickly that they combo the poo poo out of me before i can finish my attack animation.
At least the rest of the game seems to be teaching me that the thing to do against a hard-to-stagger enemy is dodge their attack, get a hit in while they recover, then repeat - but these assholes are so fast it doesn't work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

They're my least favorite enemy to fight in that game period.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
power-stanced punch L1 is quick enough to hit them with enough time to roll before their next attack. It's an extremely narrow window though

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
I just gave em pokes with the Fire Longsword R2. Spear one is a bit of a weiner though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Poke them right back with a bigger weapon. Ultra greatswords with the Stone Ring are particularly fun. :devil:

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
If you absolutely have to trivialize most human-sized pve in this game, then 2-hand a great hammer like the great club, and pancake everything with R2s.

Warning: may have side effects, like loss of brain cells, and inability to use any other move. I've tried to sunbro people who have crutched on that move, and watched their attacks bounce harmlessly off shields, leading to brutal punishes by trash enemies. I've seen Havels that do nothing but R2, giving me dirt easy backstab punishes. And they don't stop doing that move and I don't stop backstabbing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the Force spell + Stone Ring is a guaranteed stagger on everything that has poise, even against havel-armored enemies, so you can at least get around the tower of flame easily by just punting 'em into the drink

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Vermain posted:

the Force spell + Stone Ring is a guaranteed stagger on everything that has poise, even against havel-armored enemies, so you can at least get around the tower of flame easily by just punting 'em into the drink

This is also a good way to cheese the NPCs in the Dark Chasms.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

typo fix

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

you can pancake the electric reindeer with a good hammer it is so satisfying

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Demon hammer has been my alternate for deleting anything that doesn't play nice with a traditional sword and board set-up (mace and board actually, since it reliably stunlocks a lot of stuff). Demon hammer is extremely terrible for dealing with human invaders though so I don't pull it out unless necessary.

Heide knights get pancaked, as do the npc invaders.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 11, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Crazy Achmed posted:

I just don't get how you fight the heide knights other than parrying or backstab, every time i hit them they recover so quickly that they combo the poo poo out of me before i can finish my attack animation.
At least the rest of the game seems to be teaching me that the thing to do against a hard-to-stagger enemy is dodge their attack, get a hit in while they recover, then repeat - but these assholes are so fast it doesn't work at all.
They basically demand a backstab, yeah. The spear one's jump attack is perfect for that - just walk around it. Shield is strongly recommended so you don't get caught off guard by one of their weird lunges.

Sword I always parry. They got some good animations for that. Shield up until they do them. Costs a bit of chip damage (I only parry with a Buckler), but that's what Lifegems are for!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

If you absolutely have to trivialize most human-sized pve in this game, then 2-hand a great hammer like the great club, and pancake everything with R2s.

Warning: may have side effects, like loss of brain cells, and inability to use any other move. I've tried to sunbro people who have crutched on that move, and watched their attacks bounce harmlessly off shields, leading to brutal punishes by trash enemies. I've seen Havels that do nothing but R2, giving me dirt easy backstab punishes. And they don't stop doing that move and I don't stop backstabbing.

Also: poison arrows. Best poison arrows in all souls games combined. And they're not limited to human-sized foes either. :getin:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FishMcCool posted:

Also: poison arrows. Best poison arrows in all souls games combined. And they're not limited to human-sized foes either. :getin:

Bows are just generally really strong in DS2, it rules

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

King of Solomon posted:

Dragonrider Bow my beloved. STR scaling bow that can do elemental damage.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Belfry Luna is the first place I experienced the Souls magic and it is still my favorite place.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Fume Knight is exactly the rear end in a top hat I remember.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
First phase, rolling right during his initial straight sword swings usually puts you out of hitbox range for his thrust, after it's a matter of rolling the UGS followup and punishing. Then after that it's a matter of stamina management discipline.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

First phase, rolling right during his initial straight sword swings usually puts you out of hitbox range for his thrust, after it's a matter of rolling the UGS followup and punishing. Then after that it's a matter of stamina management discipline.

Yeah. I managed to beat him just then. had to respec for more stamina though.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Remember that one doorway blocked by rubble, right next to the Pursuer's main arena? Turns out that right behind it, inaccessible, is arguably one of the most beautiful spots in the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Carpator Diei posted:

Remember that one doorway blocked by rubble, right next to the Pursuer's main arena? Turns out that right behind it, inaccessible, is arguably one of the most beautiful spots in the game.

it's fitting that the game that manages to maintain such a tremendous sense of melancholy is, itself, deeply melancholic when you can see the contours of the grander design the devs had but never got the time to implement

Ruud Hoenkloewen
Jan 24, 2020
I desperately hope that in a few years we get a Bluepoint-style remake of DS2 that shaves off the rough edges and adds back all the things they weren't able to implement.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh yeah I got distracted halfway through and didn't finish Return to Drangleic.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

What the hell is the problem with those phantom looking dudes in Shulva, holy poo poo, i can barely damage them o_O and they remind me of the ds3 Irithyl mobs

E: ooooohh, the red glowing armors at the walls... god this place sucks xD

E2: well at least i have the Flynn ring now and Puzzle Sword which is not really useful for me but looks cool as heck

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 17, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ruud Hoenkloewen posted:

I desperately hope that in a few years we get a Bluepoint-style remake of DS2 that shaves off the rough edges and adds back all the things they weren't able to implement.

But the Bluepoint remake of DeS did neither of those things...

Keep them the gently caress away from my favorite Souls.

Besides, a lot of the dropped stuff in 2 is in the form of entire refactored areas and plot details. There's very few easy wins where you could just plop unfinished stuff back in without wildly altering the game.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 17, 2023

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The real DS2 remake is Elden Ring.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Razakai posted:

The real DS2 remake is Elden Ring.

It really is.

I also have to say that, shamefully, I did not make it more than an hour into my Return to Drangleic experience, and almost entirely because I am so used to the small changes in controls with Elden Ring that I kept messing up my inputs and trying to jump.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

yeah if you haven't used bows in DS2 before give them a try.

they're rapid-draw and between enemies often approaching slowly and interrupts from your arrows you can often pick off annoying stuff you don't want to deal with and save yourself a lot of hassle

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

its me, i bought the cat-pants

lol this game

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

i am tim! posted:

It really is.

I also have to say that, shamefully, I did not make it more than an hour into my Return to Drangleic experience, and almost entirely because I am so used to the small changes in controls with Elden Ring that I kept messing up my inputs and trying to jump.

first thing i did in elden ring is switch jumping to triangle and action to X as god intended

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

heard u like girls posted:

lol this game

You can get so much sillier looking. Have fun!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my favorite is the moth suit it looks like it came from a cancelled korean grindfest mmo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

first thing i did in elden ring is switch jumping to triangle and action to X as god intended

Heresy. Heresy all the way down.

Compounded heresy.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

my favorite is the moth suit it looks like it came from a cancelled korean grindfest mmo

it looks really silly yea, what was it, bonfire level 3 in Majula with no souls at Maughlin? ( who is ofc dead as hell, rip buddy boy ) I'm also thinking about farming Rhoy for his transparent set, helmet looks cool.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Heresy. Heresy all the way down.

Compounded heresy.

look, i like my controls making sense... up button makes man go up, down button makes man go down ( to pick something up )

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

it looks really silly yea, what was it, bonfire level 3 in Majula with no souls at Maughlin? ( who is ofc dead as hell, rip buddy boy )

Yup, I always went for it as soon as I had the ascetics after a few playthroughs. Fashion is paramount

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

it looks really silly yea, what was it, bonfire level 3 in Majula with no souls at Maughlin? ( who is ofc dead as hell, rip buddy boy ) I'm also thinking about farming Rhoy for his transparent set, helmet looks cool.

Spend 16k at Maughlin and come back with 0 souls and that's how you get the transparent set. No need to farm it.

IIRC, the moth gear comes from the chest behind him on NG+ levels.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Spend 16k at Maughlin and come back with 0 souls and that's how you get the transparent set. No need to farm it.

IIRC, the moth gear comes from the chest behind him on NG+ levels.

Oh nice
thanks guys

Yesterday i had a giant head roll on me in memory of Jeigh o_O but that seems like a decent enough place to farm souls quick...
NG+5 Rotten keeps insta-killing me after missing one dodge at halfway thru his healthbar :sludgepal:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

lol this game

DS2 is the best fashion souls.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

:same:

With the default controls I would just jump at every item on the ground and every NPC because brain got Dark Souls wired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Oh man so because i killed Maughlin before spending 16k at his shop, i am now unable to get the smelter set or any other boss armor (?) ... big Oof