Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's just like God of High School...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gologle posted:

I dont think any single title could summarize whatever... that is.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Another impressively misleading title is Solo* Max Level** Newbie***

*Not solo
**Spends an inordinate amount of time at level 1
***Most experienced veteran

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gologle posted:

At least that's the name of the tournament so it made sense for PART of the series

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i find that one really funny because there's no real time lapse. it's a mundane world, then the game dungeon comes out and within a week people have already formed genre-standard arrogant clans. they are instantly wealthy and influential without any of the intermediate steps. all these people just spontaneously decided to create private armies with silly english names and are automatically successful.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Tale of a Scribe Who Retires to the Countryside at the top of my list so far for manwhas I actually keep following.

alot for me lose steam and interest after the first 100 'episodes' or chapters. Maybe it helps that the MC isn't a total struck up jerk like most murim mcs tend to be

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

legend of the northern blade is pretty rad. murim stuff, pretty neat artwork that’s unique and fits the action quite well. i’m only 40 chapters in and it’s still building up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah it's my favorite webtoon at the moment.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i enjoy the murim settings of these worlds, but i actually care very little about how much time a lot of them take talking about the energy/qi levels and making a breakthrough to the level core ect.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

could be bullshit but i hope not

https://www.reddit.com/r/DistantSky/comments/11nlhj8/terror_man_anime/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GateOfD posted:

i enjoy the murim settings of these worlds, but i actually care very little about how much time a lot of them take talking about the energy/qi levels and making a breakthrough to the level core ect.

that gets particularly bad in the manhua ones i find

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That Works posted:

that gets particularly bad in the manhua ones i find

i too have reached the checks notes 3rd degree of the infinite holy dragon destiny emperor level

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I laugh when the unit of measurement for power levels is years

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0WnLWT40g

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hahahah holy poo poo

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I have yet to read a single cultivator series but if that's an example of the problems with cultivators, then I'll take a bad one of those over a bad gate (nationalism and revenge fantasies) or bad isekai series (child brides and slavery).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have yet to read a single cultivator series but if that's an example of the problems with cultivators, then I'll take a bad one of those over a bad gate (nationalism and revenge fantasies) or bad isekai series (child brides and slavery).

i mean you can get those in cultivators too, but you also get complicated names for power levels that are honestly kind of endearing in a goofy way

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Qi is stored in the balls.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Absolute gold.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dikkfor posted:

Qi is stored above the balls.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

You didn't have to qualify it by saying bad isekai. Most isekai are bad and it's the exception to the rule that should be called out.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The other thing about Murim series is that every technique is called something like Earth Shattering Thousand Dragon Palm.

Wow,, is that the most powerful martial art? No! It is the weakest martial art

What about the Sky Piercing God Slaying Divine Fist, now that's gotta be the most powerful martial art. No, it is the second weakest martial art.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have yet to read a single cultivator series but if that's an example of the problems with cultivators, then I'll take a bad one of those over a bad gate (nationalism and revenge fantasies)

about that,

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dikkfor posted:

Much closer to the truth than you would think

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elite posted:

The other thing about Murim series is that every technique is called something like Earth Shattering Thousand Dragon Palm.

Wow,, is that the most powerful martial art? No! It is the weakest martial art

What about the Sky Piercing God Slaying Divine Fist, now that's gotta be the most powerful martial art. No, it is the second weakest martial art.

Basic Buddhist Fist 2 is pretty strong.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i think the best cultivation ones are the comedy ones that put everything on its head.
Like "No Way Anyone Believes My Master is a Mortal"

MC transmigrates and his cheat is a sect system. He starts off at an advanced realm. But the twist is that to get stronger, he has to accept disciples...and train them wrong. So wasting the talents of people on purpose. The more useless disciples he makes, the stronger he gets. But the reverse is also true.
So he picks up all these rejects, but thru misunderstandings and him trying to pretend to know what he's talking about (he's a transmigrator so he actually knows nothing of murim). And thru his bullshitting, he actually awakens the hidden hidden talents of the rejects. And because of that he gets weaker, and he's like "nooooooo" And ends up being a weakling with a ton of OP 'main character' tier disciples that worship him.

other ones like that or "My Disciple keeps Dying"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The op of this thread is old enough now to talk about Id which is really the description is perfect. I have no idea if it finished

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

GateOfD posted:

i think the best cultivation ones are the comedy ones that put everything on its head.
Like "No Way Anyone Believes My Master is a Mortal"

MC transmigrates and his cheat is a sect system. He starts off at an advanced realm. But the twist is that to get stronger, he has to accept disciples...and train them wrong. So wasting the talents of people on purpose. The more useless disciples he makes, the stronger he gets. But the reverse is also true.
So he picks up all these rejects, but thru misunderstandings and him trying to pretend to know what he's talking about (he's a transmigrator so he actually knows nothing of murim). And thru his bullshitting, he actually awakens the hidden hidden talents of the rejects. And because of that he gets weaker, and he's like "nooooooo" And ends up being a weakling with a ton of OP 'main character' tier disciples that worship him.

other ones like that or "My Disciple keeps Dying"

Do these have comics or are they just novels? Also adding Cultivator Against Hero Society as one I thought was pretty funny too. Need to catch up on that one

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Jose posted:

The op of this thread is old enough now to talk about Id which is really the description is perfect. I have no idea if it finished

I can’t believe I have The Breaker in the OP and it’s still coming out! Albeit with some lengthy breaks. The current iteration started out pretty slow but the current arc is exactly what I want in this story

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cultivation chat group had a comic adaption last i saw

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

started reading "2000 Years of Magic in my Head"

main character is guy from a famous swordsman family, leaves and joins the magic school in a 'monster dungeon apoc' world.
magic is very inferior to sword aura an stuff.

Beginning so far is very academic with him slowly revealing advanced magic techiques to make it on par with physical attacks. The writing is interesting enough. Not sure how it will be once it gets to the combat stages.

It is a korean a series, so it seems like the many of the korean magic stories, it uses the cultivation system with magic circles replacing the cultivation cores. I seen some chinese ones do it too, but seem to notice it more in korean magic stories.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GateOfD posted:

Tale of a Scribe Who Retires to the Countryside at the top of my list so far for manwhas I actually keep following.

alot for me lose steam and interest after the first 100 'episodes' or chapters. Maybe it helps that the MC isn't a total struck up jerk like most murim mcs tend to be

Thanks for the rec, it's been enjoyable, so many of the murim manwhas and like every manhua are just "ok MC got mad and murdered a bunch of random people that they didn't even need to but might is right and all".

Kinda fun for it to be a little more chilled out and have an MC that seems more sane yet still part of that world and willing to take risks.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've seen the word "murim" used a lot; what does it mean?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

basically a world/community of martial arts as a controlling power or focus.

then add other factors into the pot like various chi/qi, cultivation, mystic animals and divine artifacts into the mix.
other stories, sometimes, but not always separates themselves from regular mortals since thru training, they can live for hundreds of years, and their goal is to 'ascend' to a higher realm of existance

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

The Breaker s3 picked up a lot from the slow start! The recent chapters have all been great.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am LOVING the current arc (The current releases and not the delayed ones from webtoons) of Eleceed.

Jiwoo saving his mom and showing off how badass he actually in by completely and utterly clowning on the secret research institute is great. We've all known how much he's improving and how strong he can be, but seeing it in the form of him getting poo poo done and not getting wrecked in a spar is refreshing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I throw in a recommendation for 'Transfer Student Storm Bringer' to any interested.
https://mangatoto.com/series/27772/transfer-student-storm-bringer

pretty short read @ only 92 chapters.

Not sure if there's a better term for it, but set in one of those high school gangster type settings with a bunch of fighting.
the spin is that the MC is really weak, and just wants to get by but has a scary tough guy face.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does the new guy stay involved (in Breaker S3)? I like him.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Does the new guy stay involved (in Breaker S3)? I like him.

So far yes but not as much time as in the early chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just caught up, and I really like the whole situation with the new guy ended up getting taught by Goomoonryong. Really curious to see where that leads.

I also like that they gave the new guy a haircut to further distinguish him visually (and he's also getting a pretty distinct personality from "basically a copy of early Shi-woon").

edit: The impression I get is that the new guy might end up more fully inheriting the martial arts of the dead strong grandpa, since it's already been established that Shi-woon is incompatible with them (and he's shown great interest in that one technique that Jinie showed him). Of course, it would be even more reasonable for this to happen with Jinie, but women are unfortunately almost never able to get higher than "strong underling" status in this comic.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 15, 2023