Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Has anyone ever tried though?

Has anyone put themselves up for election to the board on a platform of "We need to be more financially responsible", or even "we need to get out of debt, so the club can survive long term."

Coz these are reasonable positions, and surely even amongst the Barca fanbase there are people willing to be reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Has anyone put themselves up for election to the board on a platform of "We need to be more financially responsible", or even "we need to get out of debt, so the club can survive long term."

Coz these are reasonable positions, and surely even amongst the Barca fanbase there are people willing to be reasonable.

To be fair, Rosell technichally promised something like that during the elections of 2010 iirc, the good old times when a debt of nearly 500 millions was considered stratospheric lmao. If this sentiment was born out of true concern for the well-being of the club or his desire of petty revenge against Laporta (Rosell was his vice-president and they had a huge spat), I cannot say. Was his management good or financially responsible? No but it's my opinion, and I'm really biased against both Lolporta and Rosell.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I like to think Victor Font would have been more prudent but I wasn't paying too much attention to the campaign. Definitely a smarter guy then Laporta though.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Kind of insane that they seem to be getting away with it and are on top of the league (so far). Would be nice if this wasn't sustainable and barcelona finally got what was coming to them

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mila kunis posted:

Kind of insane that they seem to be getting away with it and are on top of the league (so far). Would be nice if this wasn't sustainable and barcelona finally got what was coming to them

It feels like Barcelona's recent success has been a ponzi scheme based on winning, so naturally pulling all the levers let them win again and escalate the house of cards to yet another level

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

the Barca fanbase

people willing to be reasonable.

:laffo:

These were the people yowling tears of incandescent rage and burning Messi shirts at the gates of the Nou Camp because he had the temerity to want to get paid

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

yeah his name was Jimmy Carter

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

webmeister posted:

:laffo:

These were the people yowling tears of incandescent rage and burning Messi shirts at the gates of the Nou Camp because he had the temerity to want to get paid
wouldn’t he have been willing to literally play for minimum wage but some liga law prevents players from taking massive pay cuts? or am i misremembering?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

mila kunis posted:

Imagine a points penalty from the league so they don't get UCL or a title this season. :allears:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
barcelona are the worst club on the loving planet

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1638171846939119618?s=20

Administrators HATE him! List all your players as under 12s to avoid having to register them, one weird trick.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lol. And also, lmao.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sign him up, Jurgie

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Him leaving would be the best possible outcome lmao

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

the sex ghost posted:

Administrators HATE him! List all your players as under 12s to avoid having to register them, one weird trick.

It gets better. A court gave Barca 20 days to file a legal claim to challenge the decision but they filed late.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the sex ghost posted:

real madrid legend gavi incoming

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
is this good

https://disciplinary.uefa.com/027f-179a034fab97-d943763bdcba-1000/

quote:

In accordance with Article 31(4) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations, UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspectors have today been appointed to conduct an investigation regarding a potential violation of UEFA’s legal framework by FC Barcelona in connection with the so-called ‘Caso Negreira’.

Further information regarding this matter will be made available in due course.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

it's a term of endearment in catalonia

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

How much does it cost to bribe a UEFA disciplinary inspector? Asking for a friend.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

I asked Drogba and he said it's a loving disgrace

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Lots of speculative fiction is being written online about the possibility of Messi returning. Is there even a slim chance of this happening? What would it take for that to happen?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Lots of speculative fiction is being written online about the possibility of Messi returning. Is there even a slim chance of this happening? What would it take for that to happen?

lionel messi to agree to reduce his salary demands down to 1 (one) happy meal after every game, no extras

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Let's say he's willing to do a weird charity deal, can a player sign on for 1€/year? Is there anything else stopping them from registering him?

Full disclosure, I am a Real Madrid supporter and I don't want him back in the league lol

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Let's say he's willing to do a weird charity deal, can a player sign on for 1€/year? Is there anything else stopping them from registering him?

The usual answer for ‘can we gently caress around with the taxman?’ is that if it seems like you can, you probably can’t. Outside of the fact Barcelona would then be liable for fines for paying an employee less than minimum wage, even if they upped it to €5.000/year, in a common law system it’d butt up against the concept of sufficient consideration in the contract vs the value of Messi, but Spain is civil based so god knows.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
didn't barcelona try some funky deal like that an La Liga said no which is why he ended up at PSG

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Full disclosure, I am a Real Madrid supporter and I don't want him back in the league lol

Last time he was not allowed to cut his salary by more than 50%. It also doesn't matter if Barcelona are above the hard limit.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Individual considerations aside, looks like the minimum annual salary a LaLiga player can earn is €155,000 by the current league rules.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TheRat posted:

Last time he was not allowed to cut his salary by more than 50%. It also doesn't matter if Barcelona are above the hard limit.

I'd imagine it would be somewhat different this time as he'd effectively be a new signing, so his old contract is irrelevant.

They were definitely able to do some level of salary fuckery though, as I know Pique agreed to play for virtually nothing (on the grounds that he has legitimate gently caress-you money from his other investments and is potentially sizing up a run for Barca President in future), but I didn't at any point get the vibe that Messi was willing to do the same while there were €100m contracts on the table elsewhere.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

just taking a moment to imagine what my life would be like if I woke up one morning and decided to dump Shakira because I was sick of her poo poo, before driving to my job as a professional footballer that I do for free as a hobby since the money I'd make is literally inconsequential to my lifestyle

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
barca calling for tebas to resign lol

https://www.fcbarcelona.es/es/club/noticias/3134510/comunicado-del-fc-barcelona

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
víctima de un linchamiento mediático

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

FullLeatherJacket posted:

They were definitely able to do some level of salary fuckery though, as I know Pique agreed to play for virtually nothing (on the grounds that he has legitimate gently caress-you money from his other investments and is potentially sizing up a run for Barca President in future)

Where did you get that from? Are you talking about the 2021 salary "reduction", which was not a real salary reduction, more like a postponement with strings attached, or the time in 2022 when he and the other captains where asked to cutback their salary for real and flat out refused? There have been multiple attempts at salary fuckery alright, but he has never agreed to play for virtually nothing. His sudden decision to retire has been the real money saving measure that Barça got from Pique, and good riddance to that idiot.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

Where did you get that from?

like all good journalists, my main sources are twitter rumours and articles written in foreign-language newspapers that I've run through google translate

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Add "the stadium revamp" to the list of Barcelona things not going so well

The Athletic posted:

The Athletic has spoken to many people who have worked on the Espai Barca project, as well as experts in the financial and construction industries with stakes in what happens with the Camp Nou’s facelift.

All spoke on condition of anonymity to protect their positions. The stories they told us leave an impression that is very different from the beaming confidence exuded by Laporta and other club figures.

This report will detail how…
- Previous club president Josep Maria Bartomeu left an €815million (£717.6m; $885.9m) project ready to go but Laporta immediately replaced it with an amended plan that will cost at least €1.5billion
- All the original architects, engineers and consultants have either left, been fired or are no longer working on the project — including Japanese architect firm Nikken Sekkei
- Some new executives and partners who were hired lack experience of working on such a complex project — including Turkish builders Limak
- Permits from the local council are still not sorted — with the current design described as a “hotch-potch” drawn from four different architectural companies, who all worked off different briefs
- There are now significant concerns about whether the project can be delivered on time and within budget.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

vyelkin posted:

it's a term of endearment in catalonia

this genuinely got an lol from me

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I think Messi's return to Barça is highly unlikely for now. All that talk is nothing more than a smokescreen. Right now, Laporta is laser focused on the "Espai Barça" project and that's a tad worrisome because that poo poo smells like trouble, and by trouble I mean freaking financial suicide. The entire thingie is another, bigger, gamble and a leap of faith going nowhere, which is a very Lolporta thing to do btw.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

like all good journalists, my main sources are twitter rumours and articles written in foreign-language newspapers that I've run through google translate

Lmao fair enough.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Welp, the madman has done it:

https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/how-barca-have-managed-to-close-the-financing-of-espai-barca-project-85703442

Debt? What debt? The show must go on.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So they’re just taking on another 1.5bn in debt? What?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

blue footed boobie posted:

So they’re just taking on another 1.5bn in debt? What?

More like 2.7bn (aprox.) after interest, but yeah, that's the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
well theyre only losing 200mil a year so they'll pay that off in no time