Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

AHH F/UGH posted:

I think if my friend was caught sexually assaulting drunk women in 4K, I wouldn’t consider them my friend anymore or come anywhere close to downplaying what they had done

Because someone shows a lapse in judgement doesn't mean they are a bad person. If he keeps up this kind of behavior obviously I won't be hanging out with him, but this is not what he does and the person who he was with uses that as an opportunity to make money and increase his notoriety, so I think that person is equally responsible. Again, I told him to leave the situation because I know what can happen - especially when people can take tiny clips from a long stream and use it to tell their own narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Oh he's definitely done this kind of stuff before and you gave him a pass.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Oh he's definitely done this kind of stuff before and you gave him a pass.

Examples?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Ned, this is a guy nearing his mid-40's who is on film just in the last month harassing train riders in Japan by playing loud music and sexually assaulting a 19 year old girl who is passed out drunk. This isn't some phase of someone who just started drinking in his teens (even then it is not okay but more "understandable") but someone who has had decades of his life to learn what is not okay to do.

By you spending time with him and calling him your friend, you are essentially enabling his behavior and standing by him. "You are the product of the company you keep"

There are a lot more comments here where people talk about what this guy did since he deleted all the videos / streams from that evening - https://www.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/comments/11mzeb6/streamer_kisses_a_blacked_out_girl/ - I don't think this is something that has been clipped to show a different narrative.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

He's a 40 year old streamer and a giant fuckwit, he's definitely tried to rape someone before.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Busy Bee posted:

Ned, this is a guy nearing his mid-40's who is on film just in the last month harassing train riders in Japan by playing loud music and sexually assaulting a 19 year old girl who is passed out drunk. This isn't some phase of someone who just started drinking in his teens (even then it is not okay but more "understandable") but someone who has had decades of his life to learn what is not okay to do.

By you spending time with him and calling him your friend, you are essentially enabling his behavior and standing by him. "You are the product of the company you keep"

There are a lot more comments here where people talk about what this guy did since he deleted all the videos / streams from that evening - https://www.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/comments/11mzeb6/streamer_kisses_a_blacked_out_girl/ - I don't think this is something that has been clipped to show a different narrative.

I know all he's done.

I'm trying to help him be better. The problem is the people who encourage him to do worse. If he doesn't have people like me around to support him, he'll end up with the wrong type of influence 100% of the time.

And again, I told him to leave that situation as soon as possible, but the guy he was with wanted them to stick around.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

He's a 40 year old streamer and a giant fuckwit, he's definitely tried to rape someone before.

Do you have evidence of this or are you just speculating? Up until a few months ago he was literally bragging on stream how he'd never slept with a Japanese woman. He's actually very dumb when it comes to women.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

My evidence is he's a 40 year old streamer and a giant fuckwit and he lives in Japan.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

My evidence is he's a 40 year old streamer and a giant fuckwit and he lives in Japan.

That isn't really evidence. That is speculation. I know his history better than most people and he didn't really go out until he started streaming, and up until recently it was streaming him fishing near his house and going to Shibuya and drinking with foreigners.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Keep going; I think you're about to bring everyone around on this guy.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gabriel Grub posted:

Keep going; I think you're about to bring everyone around on this guy.

Not trying to get people to like him, just have people understand that I don't think he is as bad as the internet wants to make him look. I would have preferred he sticked to what he had always done, but he had some outside influence that made him a lot of money recently.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Ned bro, take the hint.

Your friend is creepy as gently caress and sexually assaulted someone.

No one is gonna change their minds because you're vouching for him

Also you should probably have a look inside yourself

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

BB2K posted:

Ned bro, take the hint.

Your friend is creepy as gently caress and sexually assaulted someone.

No one is gonna change their minds because you're vouching for him

Also you should probably have a look inside yourself

You don't know poo poo about me or how I live. If I abandon people I enjoy spending time with because of what the internet thinks then I won't be able to live my life as I enjoy.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah it says a lot about your character if you're trying to defend a sexual assault as "a lapse of judgment" and thinking everyone who comes to Japan has done "borderline" stuff like this,, regardless of whether he's your mate or not.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

I’m planning a 14 day trip to Kochi with my husband — any suggestions on sights to see on the island of Shikoku? We love history, beaches, and hiking. :) Cheers

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Yeah it says a lot about your character if you're trying to defend a sexual assault as "a lapse of judgment" and thinking everyone who comes to Japan has done "borderline" stuff like this,, regardless of whether he's your mate or not.

Can you White Knight any harder? Have you lived in Japan?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LldkN0390cE

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

It’s really urgent that me and my husband figure this out as soon as possible.
We need help ASAP.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What, are you in the terminal about to get on the plane? God drat chill

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

mongolia posted:

We need help ASAP.

Why would you go to Kochi without any plans? I hope you can drive!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kochi has yuzu, ginger, nira, katsuo, and wood

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mongolia posted:

I’m planning a 14 day trip to Kochi with my husband — any suggestions on sights to see on the island of Shikoku? We love history, beaches, and hiking. :) Cheers

- Art islands (Naoshima and Teshima)
- Megijima
- Shimanami and Onomichi
- Ritsurin, in Takamatsu
- Uchiko, near Matsuyama
- Various shrines and temples

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

peanut posted:

Kochi has yuzu, ginger, nira, katsuo, and wood

Haha Kochi got wood.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Ned posted:

Why would you go to Kochi without any plans? I hope you can drive!

That’s not any of your business.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

- Art islands (Naoshima and Teshima)
- Megijima
- Shimanami and Onomichi
- Ritsurin, in Takamatsu
- Uchiko, near Matsuyama
- Various shrines and temples

Thank you so so so much

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Ned posted:

You don't know poo poo about me or how I live. If I abandon people I enjoy spending time with because of what the internet thinks then I won't be able to live my life as I enjoy.

If you don't abandon people who commit sexual assault on film and justify not doing so because you say you enjoy spending time with those people then you're an enormous creep and an enabler and at the very loving least you should stop inviting strangers on the internet to stay at your house because those invitations are now necessarily and inextricably tied to the absolutely terrifying and creepy context of you repeatedly defending this guy and minimizing his actions

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Hey y'all looking to plan a vacation in Japan what's hap-

:stonk:

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Riptor posted:

If you don't abandon people who commit sexual assault on film and justify not doing so because you say you enjoy spending time with those people then you're an enormous creep and an enabler and at the very loving least you should stop inviting strangers on the internet to stay at your house because those invitations are now necessarily and inextricably tied to the absolutely terrifying and creepy context of you repeatedly defending this guy and minimizing his actions

You have an amazing imagination.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Ned posted:

You have an amazing imagination.

And you have an amazing capacity to deny reality

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mongolia posted:

Thank you so so so much

No problem!

If you’re into nature stuff, the Iya valley is apparently quite nice too.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Riptor posted:

And you have an amazing capacity to deny reality

What have I done that is creepy?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
He's streaming right now and his take on the last couple of days is that jealous people are mad at him for hooking up with a Japanese girl.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mongolia posted:

Not sure if serious post or not, but if so, I highly recommend the Tatsukushi area in Tosa-Shimizu for beautiful beaches and if you're into diving or snorkeling or anything like that. For hiking, there's really too many good places to count, but highlights would be the Nyodogawa area and the Shikoku Karst.

Edit: have been informed it's actually Niyodogawa.

LyonsLions fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 11, 2023

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Ned posted:

What have I done that is creepy?

This poster summed it up well

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Things I've done: lived in Japan.
Things I've never done: willingly hung out with a sexual predator.

Listen Ned, you are alone here on this. There is a reason for that and it isn't because we all have some sort of conspiracy or agenda against these people. It sucks to know and/or admit people you are (hopefully were) friends with are such poo poo but the more you defend them and their behaviors, the more complicit you are in their actions, regardless of whether or not you tried (clearly not at all successfully) to save him from himself.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Never heard of people being threatened at gunpoint to come up with a 14-day tourist itinerary for Kochi. I've even been there before but pretty sure I'd be shot in the face.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mongolia posted:

We need help ASAP.

Yeah you need help all right

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I checked back in to see if anybody else was posting Japan 80s music and oh shi

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Guy should've taken a hint from the thread page number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I was just catching up on what to order instead of beer and I find a nice summary of the guy who seems to wish he could have come up with the idea for sushi terrorism but was beaten to the punch so he might as well just commit sexual assault live online and get a goon defender on it, yikes

Anyway I do hope the kaiten sushi places still have, uh, kaiten by the time we arrive - be a shame if the fun of pick whatever passes you by that looks interesting is gone thanks to unruly youths.

Speaking of which, is robatayaki worth doing? I can't seem to find anything other than $100+ set menus and if it's just tasty binchotan grilled items handed over skillfully on a paddle, I'll stick to other stuff minus the wow factor.

Also dumb question - is it worth seeking out foodstuff based on X-chome? Let's say I'll be by the Tokyo Widget Museum in Goonjuku 10-chome, do I just search with the chome as the area or am I fine enough with Yelp and searching via moving the map around?