Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
So, I loving love Moomintroll. Comet in Mooninland is one of the first books I read to myself. Many, many times. I love all the books, I love the 1990 animated series, I love the 2017-present CGI series. We're a Moomin Positive household.

I have a less intimate relationship with the comics; we didn't have them growing up, but I had slowly bought the first three volumes and read some of it. The pacing is weird and all over the place, but, nuggets of data can be found that more or less track some of the books' narratives.

Anyway, for whatever reason, my kid's school library has the fourth volume, and kiddo brought it home from Library Day for us to read to her.

Within the first seven pages, I encounter a lot of panels like these, as the Moomins visit the wild west:

:lol: totally normal for a Kindergarten Library Day in Vermont, nothing to see here.

I am going to gently bring this to the attention of the librarian, before some other parent comes across it and raises holy hell and the next thing I know the state senate is talking about extending our Kratom ban to include Moomin-anything :allears:

In other news I just realized that Moominvalley has a third season I haven't seen yet, with a fourth one greenlit. Obviously, the 2017 big-budget globally successful CGI kid's cartoon is oddly not chock full of racist caricatures.

Please feel free to discuss all things moomin related here, such as this google auto complete:

(there seems to be MUCH discussion online about Snufkin and Moomin's relationship which is interesting to me because the books, at least, make it extremely clear they are just close friends).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They call me Mr Boombastic

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

oh dear

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

All the characters are horrible little shits in their own way but would work towards being better when called out on their behaviour. It was good to learn.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The only black creature in moomin valley is a career criminal and it's implied that he smells unpleasant

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tove Jansson is the poo poo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I prefer goonins OP

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Within the first seven pages, I encounter a lot of panels like these, as the Moomins visit the wild west:

:lol: totally normal for a Kindergarten Library Day in Vermont, nothing to see here.

I am going to gently bring this to the attention of the librarian, before some other parent comes across it and raises holy hell and the next thing I know the state senate is talking about extending our Kratom ban to include Moomin-anything :allears:

Snitches get stiches. Schoolkids gonna get stabby.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What the hell is Moomintroll

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Toxic Mental posted:

I used to watch the 1980s Polish stop-motion animated show as a kid, and I'm still not sure.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

If Charlie Brown was a white supremacist hippo

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's a fanciful Finnish comics strip.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Moomin rules, I make little cocktails in my Moomin glasses and it’s a delight

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I used to watch the 1980s Polish stop-motion animated show as a kid, and I'm still not sure.

The Groke aka Hufsa (which was an old nickname for me) was legit terrifying in the stop motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDEu-hzElDE

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

BigBadSteve posted:

Snitches get stiches. Schoolkids gonna get stabby.

look I'm partly hoping they just tell me not to bring the book back at all, since it's vol 4 and we own 1-3 already

if that plays out, this thing is thick as gently caress and will deflect shivs so it solves the problem created.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Solefald posted:

The Groke aka Hufsa (which was an old nickname for me) was legit terrifying in the stop motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDEu-hzElDE

It really was. I recall I didn't register its eyes or mouth when I was young, so to me it was this weird duck-billed ghost that terrified everyone.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On page 1 of the first moomin comic moomintroll tries to commit suicide

He's like a more forward thinking hitler

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

It really was. I recall I didn't register its eyes or mouth when I was young, so to me it was this weird duck-billed ghost that terrified everyone.

She was way more friendly looking in the 90s cartoon. The music and visuals accompanying her made her more scary though.

Poor groke just wanted friends :(

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I have never heard of this thing OP.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I gotta flip thru those books I bet they're hella more racist than I member

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Sophy Wackles posted:

I have never heard of this thing OP.

This doesn't surprise me at all, the thing which has over the years of the number of Moomin avs and references over seen on SA.

I think if you're Finnish you're at least aware, and if you're American, there's myriad paths to Moominland but also my parents were to some extent Haight scene art / psychedellia / zen people and there seems to me to be a heavy crossover between Moomin awareness and being the children of parents who engaged with certain kinds of, uh, somewhat reserved versions of counterculture from that era. I couldn't tell you why these books got passed around by not-quite-hippy circles but that very much seems to be the case

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

I gotta flip thru those books I bet they're hella more racist than I member

The comics or the novels?

This is the worst I've seen from the comics, which I'm not that well read in. I've read all the books to one of my kids within the past year and there wasn't too much that jumped out at me. Some comments about girls being weaker, but often coming from the Snork who is presented as sort of a wanker.

I generally think the comics are much weaker than the books. They have a completely different tone but also seem stilted and inconsistent. Translation could account for some of that.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wonder what the original swedish was for this. Doesn't make much sense

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The comics or the novels?

This is the worst I've seen from the comics, which I'm not that well read in. I've read all the books to one of my kids within the past year and there wasn't too much that jumped out at me. Some comments about girls being weaker, but often coming from the Snork who is presented as sort of a wanker.

I generally think the comics are much weaker than the books. They have a completely different tone but also seem stilted and inconsistent. Translation could account for some of that.

Idk I only recently became aware of the comics or the cartoons, I was reading translated books as a child a lot though. Jansen had a badass (YA?) fantasy book about a bandit castle too

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve been planning a snorkfroken tattoo on the ol ham hock for ages, may be time to get her going

also holy poo poo who has the Arabia mugs? I’ve got a few

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

also holy poo poo who has the Arabia mugs? I’ve got a few

Every motherfucker in finland has the mugs. Literally everyone. When they announce a new one there's queues.

I have 4.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I have seven which bothers me, so I’m debating on my next one. I bought my first one visiting Sweden in 2014 and then when I moved here I just kept buying.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Icochet posted:

Wonder what the original swedish was for this. Doesn't make much sense

The yokel looking guy is talking about chewing tobacco in old timey slang, having assumed that the "plug" moominpapa was asking about was a plug (wad) of chewing tobacco.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

The yokel looking guy is talking about chewing tobacco in old timey slang, having assumed that the "plug" moominpapa was asking about was a plug (wad) of chewing tobacco.

lol.

OP does your book name the translator because we're gonna cancel their rear end

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

I have seven which bothers me, so I’m debating on my next one. I bought my first one visiting Sweden in 2014 and then when I moved here I just kept buying.

I have Sniff, the ski instructor and two more i can't be arsed to google an english name for, all of enormous emotional value, 200 dollars a piece. PM me

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Today shopping I found a dress at Lindex

Didn’t buy it, but I found another bright red dress at KappAhl that looks like the one from Pearl. If I flip my hair over and get a solid hairband I can do the hair as well.

That one I am absolutely buying :dehumanize:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

Today shopping I found a dress at Lindex

Didn’t buy it, but I found another bright red dress at KappAhl that looks like the one from Pearl. If I flip my hair over and get a solid hairband I can do the hair as well.

That one I am absolutely buying :dehumanize:

you've never looked better

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you've never looked better

Sweetie I’ve never looked good. I’ve never looked. I do not have eyes. all hollow.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

Sweetie I’ve never looked good. I’ve never looked. I do not have eyes. all hollow.

I should clarify. I have never seen you before. So you have never looked better, but, you have also never looked worse.
Nice red coat

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Casting Matt Berry as Moominpapa in that newer show was inspired.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They call me Mr Boombastic

say me fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I finally fixed my printer and had to try a test image

come have a Negroni out of a moominmamma glass

Step into my chambers…………….

E: I’m not telling my partner I fixed the printer. He’s just gonna have to find out on his own.