Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wendigee posted:

I have a permanent 3d printed crown. They did it in the office while I waited.

It's noticeable rougher and the color is different than the porcelain crown right next to it... But I didn't have to wear a temp one that came lose 3 times while waiting for the porcelain to come in... I have mixed feelings about them.

ugh that sucks, might not get one then. i remember they hand painted my porcelain/ceramic one while it was in my mouth, at least they could rebake it locally cause it took a couple tries to get the colors just right. tho it does look different under a blacklight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Carthag Tuek posted:

im surprised you can 3d print something with such high durability requirements as crowns

unless theyre temporary? i got a temp one when i broke a tooth in half as a teen but my current is some kind of ceramic thats held up for idk 15-20 years now

Did the dentist use an incredibly nasty-tasting purple gel to make the mould for the permanent one? I got two crowns a few years ago, and while the moulding gel for the temps was just minty, the gel for the permanents tasted just terrible. My dentist warned me in advance that it was pretty nasty, but I was still surprised.

The only thing I ever tasted that was worse was a Hungarian aperitif called Unicum. It was surprisingly similar, but Unicum was stronger.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Wait until you try Multicum

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That one strikes me as a less than tech savvy dentist who can afford an overkill PC but not dedicated IT staff. So basically they paid an extra few hundred to some gaming PC company to definitely, 100% not have too little grunt.

Not saying it's a good decision, just that this is how some of these people think.

I had a similar experience with a consulting company in Bosnia/Serbia, where we were getting reports that building the software we were developing was taking very long for them, for some reason.

Part of the problem was that due to VPN misconfiguration, downloads that for us took maybe 20 seconds took a couple of minutes for them as the traffic was all routed through the VPN endpoint in our office in Sweden before going out to the internet.

The other was they had no IT department and had simply bought the cheapest laptops they could find that had 32 GB of ram and an i7. This turned out to be bulky 17" gaming laptops with 1TB platter drives. All our developers, and especially us who built and worked on the build system, had SSDs, so some operations that were basically instant for us stalled their build for minutes.

I think the end result was that it took us 4 minutes to build and them about 30.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Deep cut

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pookah posted:

Did the dentist use an incredibly nasty-tasting purple gel to make the mould for the permanent one? I got two crowns a few years ago, and while the moulding gel for the temps was just minty, the gel for the permanents tasted just terrible. My dentist warned me in advance that it was pretty nasty, but I was still surprised.

The only thing I ever tasted that was worse was a Hungarian aperitif called Unicum. It was surprisingly similar, but Unicum was stronger.

it was more like a putty or a clay, not so gel-like. it didnt tate great but not nasty either. the worse was the big brace it was in squeezing at my entire jaw

but yea,

Bum the Sad posted:

Wait until you try Multicum

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this somehow made my day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Greedo Butt

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

LifeSunDeath posted:

this somehow made my day

what makes it better for me is that I imagine the subtle shaking is from this person giggling like an idiot

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Those crowns aren't 3d printed from a base, they are a block of resin that is carved down. My mom's a dentist and I was an assistant in her office while I was in college, and I did a lot of crown design under her watch using that system. The tech is pretty cool, and at the time yeah we had a special standalone computer just for that system, but now I think they sell the software and accessories to attach to a regular computer. Just switched dentists recently and the new one had a specialized unit that did a full 3D model of my mouth, including a scan that told it how to put the previously-scanned models of my upper and lower jaws into my real-life bite relationship, and I assume that has to have some crazy graphics card requirements. Could be you can get similar stuff as an attachment but need the beefy hardware to handle it.

But also lol that office has 5k intel iMacs that are running Windows because there is no medical software for Macs. So they bought the Macs just to look like they have Macs in my rapidly-gentrifying neighborhood.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Most CAD/CAM dental systems use a milling process to carve a crown out of a blank, yes, especially since it was the only way to do it for along time (that technology's been in use a few decades), and these are the only ones i've personally seen, but there ARE apparently additive construction processes (meaning 3D printers) for crowns now, too.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Give a dog a bone

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

LifeSunDeath posted:

this somehow made my day

just remember to wash your hands when you're done

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
3D graphics cards used to be designed with the mindset of "put the game data in and good graphics come out". These days they are more and more like co-processors that are extremely good for very specific types of calculations. I could definitely see any software requiring dynamic, real time, high definition surface modeling benefiting from a top end Nvidia or AMD card.

The RTX ray tracing stuff is probably still in the "make games look nicer" stage, though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Debussy

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Give a dog a bone

Thank(?) me later

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kit Walker posted:

Right, that does explain a few things. I ended up doing some medical-billing related work as a short gig and gently caress me it was like wading through molasses

How's that AS400 working out for you

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

:chloe:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pookah posted:

Would you say it zwack?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

:confused:

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Holy poo poo

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

A mulatto
An albino
My libido

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Baron von Eevl posted:

Would you say it zwack?

Extremely so.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Pookah posted:

I tried that in Budapest, we ordered a round of them when we saw an advert for it on the bar wall of a man drowning at sea while a ship burned and sank in the background, but he's ok because he's got a bottle of Unicum.

Oh I remembered it wrong, it's still pretty unnerving -

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

We build high end pcs for museum exhibits at work.

I don’t quite know the context behind what museum exhibits need high end PCs, but I’m very amused imagining them shoehorning gamer PCs in every museum exhibit at the Smithsonian. Pharaohs buried with their Alienware laptops. George Washington crossing the Delaware, illuminated by RGB.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

skyelevator posted:

I tried that in Budapest, we ordered a round of them when we saw an advert for it on the bar wall of a man drowning at sea while a ship burned and sank in the background, but he's ok because he's got a bottle of Unicum.

a legjobb? sounds nice

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

skyelevator posted:

What did you think of the flavour? I quite like bitter/herbal drink flavours; Campari is fine, as is Jagermeister, but Unicum has a really powerfully unpleasant taste to me.
I only know one person who willingly consumed an entire shot of it, and he was v. drunk at the time.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Malört derail incoming

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Soul Dentist posted:

Malört derail incoming

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Once had some Stroh 60 with a friend the bartender handed out glasses of water along with the shots and said "if you need to puke don't do it here run for the door."

I think the place may have been a laughably obvious front for the Hell's Angels because there were all these stickers with their logo and associated slogans all over the place.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Malort fuckin rules and I'm not even from Chicago

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Once had some Stroh 60 with a friend the bartender handed out glasses of water along with the shots and said "if you need to puke don't do it here run for the door."

I think the place may have been a laughably obvious front for the Hell's Angels because there were all these stickers with their logo and associated slogans all over the place.

I had an informal interview for a German bierhalle job where the guy interviewing me just fed me liters of dunkel and shots of Stroh [b]80[/b]. I asked him what it was but he wouldn't tell me and after like a fifteen minute interview I both got the job and fel backwards off my bar stool. I drank five or six shots because it just tasted like a liqueur. Lmao

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t quite know the context behind what museum exhibits need high end PCs, but I’m very amused imagining them shoehorning gamer PCs in every museum exhibit at the Smithsonian. Pharaohs buried with their Alienware laptops. George Washington crossing the Delaware, illuminated by RGB.

Most dont but designers want to show off. Also it lets the media devs be lazy and not have to optimize to hell a one-off program.

When we don’t do a pc it’s usually a lil Linux-based digital signage player that’s like a commercial grade raspi.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Almost literally fabricated in the medium of gummi.

Step 1: Select Worm

Step 2: Insert Worm (this is what oozes out, it's probably the liquid you're thinking of)

Step 3: Rampage

Also lots of shots of shirtless Marc Singer standing on top of a cliff twirling a log. Gotta attract the ladies to your teenage boy fantasy barbarian violence movie.

Ah, thank you. I think you're right and I mixed the worm with the oozing leftovers. And shirtless Marc Singer twirling things is worth putting up with the redheaded lady angrily flashing her tits while bathing in the river. (I'm a straight female, obviously.) She really hated that river bath.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Ah, thank you. I think you're right and I mixed the worm with the oozing leftovers. And shirtless Marc Singer twirling things is worth putting up with the redheaded lady angrily flashing her tits while bathing in the river. (I'm a straight female, obviously.) She really hated that river bath.

I'm still not sure how I have not watched Beastmaster yet, I was in the right age when it came out and was basically a Marc Singer fan already due to the V movies AND loved Conan. Probably watched too much Conan.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I never watched the movie but I remember the series being pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)