Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Someone feel free to tell me that using TurboTax is the devil but I also know something is wrong with this situation.

Situation: I lived and worked in Illinois full-time for 2022. My wife was preparing our house to sell and formally moved in July 2022. She does not work at all. We earned an estimated $60K in profit from purchasing our house in 2014 to 2022. I apparently earned $354 in Indiana sometime, but I lived in Illinois at that point.

I have NO idea why TurboTax thinks the state of Illinois owes us a refund of $55K. It won't let me view the numbers specifically but I wonder if our odd living arrangement has something to do with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

DTaeKim posted:

Someone feel free to tell me that using TurboTax is the devil but I also know something is wrong with this situation.

Situation: I lived and worked in Illinois full-time for 2022. My wife was preparing our house to sell and formally moved in July 2022. She does not work at all. We earned an estimated $60K in profit from purchasing our house in 2014 to 2022. I apparently earned $354 in Indiana sometime, but I lived in Illinois at that point.

I have NO idea why TurboTax thinks the state of Illinois owes us a refund of $55K. It won't let me view the numbers specifically but I wonder if our odd living arrangement has something to do with this.

Uh, admittedly I'm having a hard time following what you're saying (what's "$60K in profit from purchasing our house" mean?), but I don't see any way to get a refund THAT big unless there was some sort of giant payment to Illinois. Thinking you've got either some serious mis-entries on there, or major bugs. Did you sell a home and have to make a withholding payment of some kind on the sale?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

Uh, admittedly I'm having a hard time following what you're saying (what's "$60K in profit from purchasing our house" mean?), but I don't see any way to get a refund THAT big unless there was some sort of giant payment to Illinois. Thinking you've got either some serious mis-entries on there, or major bugs. Did you sell a home and have to make a withholding payment of some kind on the sale?

Sorry, basically our house appreciated $60K from when we purchased it in 2014 to when we sold it in 2022. The house was sold in Indiana. According to TurboTax, we shouldn't have to make a withholding payment because we had lived in it long enough. I think it's a bug in TurboTax, so I'm going to use a different software and see if I am running into the same issue.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is why I like how FreeTaxUsa always has the draft 1040 one click away.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I figured it out, I typed a number twice for state taxes. It's frustrating because FreeTaxUSA has the draft available but there isn't an easily accessible option in TurboTax.

Also Indiana can get my tax return via mail, I ain't paying money to e-file a tax refund of $5.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do I just grab a random CPA if I want to hire this out? Any idea what it would cost?

Aside from the RSUs, it’s all W2, no deductions, no other income, nothing weird.

Ask your friends, but honestly it's all doable DIY if you want to spend the time doing a bunch of math. If you get a CPA interview them real quick, which might be literally impossible right now due to it being the heart of tax season. Make sure they understand ESPP, Options, and RSUs, and the tax nuances of them. My guy said "oh yeah you have to adjust the basis based on the 3922 info" and I hired him.

Depending on the number of transactions, types of transactions, and overall complexity it could be like $200-500. I spent $950 last year because I got cute with my shares. Don't get cute.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Are there any sort of tax implications when within a few weeks the following happens for one tax payer?

401k rolled over within the same brokerage to a Rollover IRA account (401k holdings are liquidated automatically to cash)

Traditional IRA from a different brokerage is rolled over to the same Rollover IRA account that was mentioned above

I'm reviewing this and it is not 100% clear to me https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plan...0rolled%20over.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Nope.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

H110Hawk posted:

Depending on the number of transactions, types of transactions, and overall complexity it could be like $200-500.

I'd say $400 is probably your floor for this, unless they're very old school and haven't been paying attention to market prices. HR Block will charge you $300 easily and not provide any guidance or analysis on this. There's a severe shortage of skilled talent in the field, and lots of firms are either not accepting new clients or have raised their minimums significantly

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

There's also a premium for engaging a CPA this close to a tax deadline, or there should be

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah I would expect to slam your best bet on tax due into the IRS along with an extension, then 2 weeks after the deadline start calling around. Either way, it's hundreds of dollars to get started.

And I wouldn't expect anyone to be taking on new clients right now.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ungratek posted:

There's also a premium for engaging a CPA this close to a tax deadline, or there should be

SOME tax preparers, anyway. I just get extra stress at this time instead (going in yet again on my day off tomorrow to desperately try to claw back some of the backlog).

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
H&R block is poo and pee mixed, I've had nothing but issues trying to file my simple return. Which company is the best e-file company currently? Up to this point I had been using H&R without issues but with their web support failing, I've been forced to look elsewhere. thank you :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
freetaxusa.com (not a scam)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

withak posted:

Yeah I used that last year and it's really good, despite the absolutely abysmal name.

Fidelity had a deal for free (as in actually free Federal and State) Turbotax this year and it's so bad I'm actually considering going back and redoing them in freetaxusa for money.

edit: though I do remember they had one limitation where you couldn't upload pdf attachments for 1099-B worksheets, and had to print and mail them to the IRS for some reason. I think that was the only part I disliked.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
US Income Tax Thread: freetaxusa.com (not a scam)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Freetaxusa also doesn't support buying I-bonds with your return, if that was a concern. Otherwise confirming that they are not a scam and probably the best deal around now that TaxAct have decided to move into the "it's not gouging if it's 10% cheaper than TurboTax" zone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.taxhawk.com is the same site if it makes you feel better

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Tricky Ed posted:

Freetaxusa also doesn't support buying I-bonds with your return, if that was a concern.

They do support it now for tax year 2022.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

smackfu posted:

https://www.taxhawk.com is the same site if it makes you feel better

That's hilarious. It even uses the same password set. They must have realized how bad it was but it was too late to fully change lol..

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Yeah I used that last year and it's really good, despite the absolutely abysmal name.

Fidelity had a deal for free (as in actually free Federal and State) Turbotax this year and it's so bad I'm actually considering going back and redoing them in freetaxusa for money.

Where do you see Fidelity + Turbotax being free - https://www.fidelity.com/go/marketplace/overview

I only see $20 off here. Free would be even better :)

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

right on thanks for this! (not a scam)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Busy Bee posted:

Where do you see Fidelity + Turbotax being free - https://www.fidelity.com/go/marketplace/overview

I only see $20 off here. Free would be even better :)

Some googling suggests it only shows up when you have either the $250,000 or $1 million assets level. It should be at the bottom of the landing page after logging in.

Edit: or maybe "active trader" too? Either way there's some secret formula depending on assets or trading activity that triggers it. Apparently you also have to have "beta view" on.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 14, 2023

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The in-laws just immigrated to the US, with a green card. They have a foreign government pension that is accumulating in a foreign bank account. Is that the kind of thing they need a CPA to sort out, go to local HR Block in the strip mall, or can they muddle through it with Turbo Tax? I am a complete tax idiot.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 14, 2023

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

BigHead posted:

The in-laws just immigrated to the US, with a green card. They have a foreign government pension that is accumulating in a foreign bank account. Is that the kind of thing they need a CPA to sort out, go to local HR Block in the strip mall, or can they muddle through it with Turbo Tax? I am a complete tax idiot.

TurboTax has a section on foreign income. Depending on the amount in the foreign bank account, you may have to file a FBAR with the Treasury. It's a pretty simple process.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

The pension might be a PFIC, which would really suck (Form 8621 and various anti deferral rules might apply if so). Also in addition to the FBAR, they might need a form 8938 (if they are over the filing threshholds).

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Generally government pensions are not PFICs, because they are usually simply a promise to receive a certain fixed income, rather than ownership of any particular assets or rights to passive income streams.

If the state pension fund does well in its investments, that doesn't automatically entitle the pensioner to more income the way a private investment fund would, for example.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

BigHead posted:

Depends on how comfortable they are with the reporting. If you do contact a tax preparer, be sure to mention the specific issue so you get somebody familiar with it, FBAR/8938 are not common to your basic preparer, and any of the other foreign forms are even worse (not sure how much I trust my skills with them, and I do a lot of foreign-related stuff since I juggle ITIN applications).

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Gabriel Grub posted:

Generally government pensions are not PFICs, because they are usually simply a promise to receive a certain fixed income, rather than ownership of any particular assets or rights to passive income streams.

If the state pension fund does well in its investments, that doesn't automatically entitle the pensioner to more income the way a private investment fund would, for example.

I agree, but I've seen things like individual retirement accounts holding mutual funds and the like that sometimes are colloquially thought of as pensions, so I thought I'd at least raise the issue. Their taxes could be relatively simple or complicated, probably worth a consult with someone who is familiar with tax issues for non-residents moving to the US.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hopefully this is the appropriate thread but --

I have an LFSA [for dental and vision] and a general HSA. I assume if I have an expensive dental procedure that my LFSA doesn't fully cover, I can use whatever is in the LFSA and bill the HSA for the rest?

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Let me know if this is the right thread for this but I just wanted to double-check my math for filling out the allowances form for my state, the California DE-4.

I just recently had my first kid in 2023, and I'm married, filing jointly (MFJ). My wife and I both work 1 job each, filing as W2. I make about 2-3x her salary. I believe I should claim 1 allowance for self, 1 allowance for child (2 total for me), and my wife on her DE-4 should claim only 1 allowance for herself.

Is that correct, or should she also claim 1 allowance for herself and 1 allowance for child on her DE-4? Thanks. We're not looking to itemize deductions this year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

With my most recent company I have a meager ~$20k 401k. My wife has the giant half million dollar+ 401k she's been diligently contributing to since college (in addition to other retirement planning) thanks in advance for your concern about my retirement in advance

What is the most tax efficient way to liquidate this for a down payment on a house. Assume I'm in a near top tax bracket for this exercise. Pretty sure I'm looking at a 50% penalty for early withdrawal etc

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

With my most recent company I have a meager ~$20k 401k. My wife has the giant half million dollar+ 401k she's been diligently contributing to since college (in addition to other retirement planning) thanks in advance for your concern about my retirement in advance

What is the most tax efficient way to liquidate this for a down payment on a house. Assume I'm in a near top tax bracket for this exercise. Pretty sure I'm looking at a 50% penalty for early withdrawal etc

Don't. Stop depositing money into your 401k instead.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If you need the money now, the best thing to do would have been to stop contributing three years ago, but if that's not an option there's always a loan from the 401(k) if that's a possibility. According the IRS, purchasing a primary residence is a 'safe harbor' and so the 10% early withdrawal penalty wouldn't apply to that. No such luck if it's a second house or beach house though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sullat posted:

. According the IRS, purchasing a primary residence is a 'safe harbor' and so the 10% early withdrawal penalty wouldn't apply to that. No such luck if it's a second house or beach house though.

This is for primary house

Can I claw back that 10% if I did this three years ago spring 2020 and didn't register the 10% penalty on my taxes in 2021

H110Hawk posted:

Don't. Stop depositing money into your 401k instead.

kind of late for that we pushed our deposit to escrow this afternoon

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Hadlock posted:

This is for primary house

Can I claw back that 10% if I did this three years ago spring 2020 and didn't register the 10% penalty on my taxes in 2021

kind of late for that we pushed our deposit to escrow this afternoon

Are you saying that you made an early withdrawal three years ago, never paid taxes on it, and now want to retroactively do the paperwork? If so, that's definitely "pay money to a professional" territory.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I made an early withdrawal, they preemptively withheld taxes 10% or whatever as is normal, with I want to say, schwab. I pulled from two accounts one preemptively withheld, the other did not (fidelity? vanguard? who knows). Paid taxes on the "income" but it never got flagged as "i'm liquidating this to buy a house" for tax purposes. This was in april of 2020 when everything was crazy so we just let it slide as we were happy to close on the house roughly on time

We have a tax professional just getting our ducks in a row before we talk to him next week

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 17, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I made an early withdrawal, they preemptively withheld taxes 10% or whatever as is normal, with I want to say, schwab. I pulled from two accounts one preemptively withheld, the other did not (fidelity? vanguard? who knows). Paid taxes on the "income" but it never got flagged as "i'm liquidating this to buy a house" for tax purposes. This was in april of 2020 when everything was crazy so we just let it slide as we were happy to close on the house roughly on time

We have a tax professional just getting our ducks in a row before we talk to him next week

So the question to ask is "can I amend my 2020 taxes to remove the 10% early withdrawal penalty because I used it to purchase a primary residence." Bring the 1099-r and the tax return in question and your tax guy will figure it out from there.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

The 2020 distribution might have already not paid the early withdrawal penalty due to the COVID distribution rules, so you will want to double check that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have a feeling I'm going to have to work on my mom's taxes this year. I avoided doing it last year (she put down money for my sibling's house, I didn't want to get involved), so, fun.

My question: my dad passed away at the beginning of this year (first week of January). They filed jointly. How much is this going to complicate things? I'm assuming that there won't be anything too different for 2022 since he lived through the entire year.

I've just been plugging numbers into FreeTaxUSA for years and I am very simple financially, so I have little experience in this stuff. Though I noticed that the software asked if anyone on the return (aka, me!) has passed away when I did mine last week.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 17, 2023