Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pillars 1 took forever for me to appreciate, but it has some genuinely cool ideas, so I was excited for the sequel. Outer worlds had nothing cool, so I don't even know what would excite me enough to care about its sequel.

Fallout 4 was pretty bad and regressive in a lot of ways, but the change to how power armor works was genius

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume the first one sold well enough based on people expecting it to be New Vegas 2

Yeah I'm thinking OW2 is not going to sell as well. The first had a lot of hype behind it from expectations, but this one has significantly less.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Fallout 4 was pretty bad and regressive in a lot of ways, but the change to how power armor works was genius

I actually disagree on this point. While it was cool, the fact that you get it so early means the whole game is balanced around having it. It felt pointless NOT to be in the armor at all times since power cores are not that hard to come by. Fallout76 actually found a better balance by having a bunch of really good perks not work when in power armor.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I actually disagree on this point. While it was cool, the fact that you get it so early means the whole game is balanced around having it. It felt pointless NOT to be in the armor at all times since power cores are not that hard to come by. Fallout76 actually found a better balance by having a bunch of really good perks not work when in power armor.

Hey, I said the change was genius, not how it was implemented :v:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

Every part of Outer Worlds seemed as if they were trying to reverse engineer games people liked as opposed to trying to design one with their own vision. This resulted in them robotically adding things to the game without any knowledge as to how or why they worked

There were two side quests that broke me, mostly because I happened to play them back to back. The first was the quest on Monarch with the cannibal family, the second was the retirement lottery quest on the last planet. Both are "twist" quests, and even if you've never played the game you can probably guess how they go based on that sentence

Those kind of quests only work when they're genuinely surprising, or if you allow the players to be smart or clever with them. Otherwise it can be really obnoxious to see through the twist and be forced to go through the linear steps anyway

and yet they chose the most obvious and most cliched versions of these quests, and did nothing to obfuscate the twist. the exact moment you enter a building - the only one in the whole area with a load screen - and you see a creepy family inviting you to dinner, you 100% realize what the deal is. and similarly, as soon as you overhear the first conversation about the retirement thing you can piece it together immediately. this could be your first video game you've ever played and you still might have guessed correctly thanks to osmosis of the tropes and cliches of the genre

just an absolute lack of mastery of everybody designing the game. it was like they were following a youtube tutorial

Those quests were also especially egregious because they basically did both of them in F:NV too, so it felt like somebody was looking at the back catalog for ideas to steal. And at least with F:NV it felt like they tried to do something with those (very tired) tropes, the White Glove Society wasn't just "surprise! You never could have guessed!" In fact I think maybe you know the twist going in? It's been so long since I've played but I feel like even the quest name sort of gives away the twist. In any case, instead of being built on the twist, the game presents a few situations where you're offered some... interesting choices in how to actually deal with the situation. In the case of the lottery in F:NV, it's also a straight crib of the Shirley Jackson story, but at least it's different in that you're dealing with the aftermath of the lottery and the legion's ghastly approach to it, so it's not like that plot is hinged on the twist reveal either.

It was pretty bonkers seeing some absolutely geriatric plot twists treated like they were fresh and unpredictable in Outer Worlds. It was like someone searched "top 10 Twilight Zone twists" and just peppered them into sidequests wherever possible.

I was still freelancing in game dev around the time PoE 2 came out, and I remember a lot of the people I knew or had met from Obsidian left or got laid off after Deadfire came out and it was clear it wasn't the smash hit they were hoping for. I suspect Outer Worlds was the casualty of a lot of institutional knowledge and experienced talent leaving the company for one reason or another, along with the pressure to put out something on an abbreviated timeline with enough mass appeal to sell well.

Endorph posted:

i like the cannibal sidequest in mask of the betrayer because the protagonist has to eat spirits to survive so its sort of a mirroring thing where 'oh is eating flesh worse than eating people's souls,' like theres a purpose to it being there

feel like a lot of writers just go 'woah... cannibals! isnt that hosed up...'

Oh man Mask of the Betrayer was so, so good. I should replay that, it's been years, I think I've forgotten most of the plot.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I question if Castti is liable to lose her medical licence due to her tendency of drugging people at night.

No no, not drugging, "soothing".

She's helping!

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I hope Outerworlds 2 will give Obsidian more opportunities to cram in jokes stolen from other wacky sci-fi franchises, especially now that they can mine so much from Rick and Morty.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the cannibal quest is when i just went "oh, gently caress you" and just stopped playing. they frontloaded that game and then just had loving nothing afterwards.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume the first one sold well enough based on people expecting it to be New Vegas 2
sigh
Yeah kinda.
I would have settled for FO4.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

"hypercapitalist nightmare world as written by obsidian" was absolutely a huge part of the sales pitch, but it's hard to imagine them pulling the same trick twice. still, there's probably a substantial enough core of people who genuinely liked the first game as a fallout-alike to make a sequel profitable

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NV's writer ended up working on Horizon. Anyone thinking that the game was gonna be NV2 was fooling themselves. It shares almost zero staff with it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vermain posted:

"hypercapitalist nightmare world as written by obsidian" was absolutely a huge part of the sales pitch, but it's hard to imagine them pulling the same trick twice. still, there's probably a substantial enough core of people who genuinely liked the first game as a fallout-alike to make a sequel profitable

It is so strange how flaccid OW felt compared to classic fallout and New Vegas talking about similar things. They decided to focus on a small aspect if Fallouts writing and decided to go less far with the concept.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I like The Witcher 3's version of the cannibal quest where you can take the cannibal couple's explanation that the missing people got eaten by wolves and collect your EXP/paycheck. It's good when games let you be bad at your job.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mycot posted:

I like The Witcher 3's version of the cannibal quest where you can take the cannibal couple's explanation that the missing people got eaten by wolves and collect your EXP/paycheck. It's good when games let you be bad at your job.

Well, in the Witcher world they probably would have gotten eaten by the wolves if they avoided the cannibals.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That was the same game where the twist for a quest was "our space colony recycles human corpses to grow plants for food. how horrible", right?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 10, 2023

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The hosed up thing about Outer World's cannibal quest was that Fallout 4's was better.

That one was a cheap rear end in a top hat who got a cannery working and figured out feral ghouls and human corpses were more plentiful and cheaper to acquire than paying hunters for deer. Which like, dead simple but fits and was a fun enough level.

Also my main hope for Outer Worlds 2 is it ties up the people responsible for how it was designed and written so I can enjoy the other poo poo Obsidian makes. People have already mentioned how great Pentiment was, but Grounded was also excellent.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

No one seems to remember Tyranny and it makes me sad.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tyranny had some neat ideas but it felt extremely half baked and I wasn't particularly satisfied with it. The first chapter was really promising though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The spell creation system in Tyranny was very good.

Too bad the combat where you could use those spells was dogshit.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tunicate posted:

That was the same game where the twist for a quest was "our space colony recycles human corpses to grow plants for food. how horrible", right?

among its other faults this questline had one of the most shoehorned "the best solution is a COMPROMISE :D" resolutions on the planet

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Impermanent posted:

among its other faults this questline had one of the most shoehorned "the best solution is a COMPROMISE :D" resolutions on the planet

The most maddening part of that entire questline is you can see the seeds of what could have been a genuinely interesting conflict but the writers were so up their own rear end at wanting to do a rugpull at the end to punish you for taking a side that it just ruins it.

The town overseer guy genuinely thinking he's running things well and being oblivious to the fact that the company is sending them inedible rations and leaving the place to die because he's so brainwashed by corpo propaganda, and the old woman commune leader who is too bitter and full of resentment since the town let her son die, that it's actively impeding a peaceful solution, is like, a really cool premise!

But the game truly believes that the corporations are fine, it's just that the people running them are evil lol, so no chance of any nuance.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Love the Latent Powers in Octopath 2. They add variety to everyone's skillsets and make them feel much more unique than the first gang's. Ochette's and Hikaris are basically just Limit Breaks, Osvald's lets you absolutely nuke a single target, Castii's makes you feel less guilty about using Concoct early and midgame, Throné's gives you some fun action economy fuckery, Temenos's just lets you go "Your shields are going down, NOW", Agnea's lets you get some really good group buffing, and Partitio's is useful for burst damage or helping out a friend.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I liked Parvati quite a bit.

The rest of Outer Worlds, meh

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Junpei posted:

Love the Latent Powers in Octopath 2. They add variety to everyone's skillsets and make them feel much more unique than the first gang's. Ochette's and Hikaris are basically just Limit Breaks, Osvald's lets you absolutely nuke a single target, Castii's makes you feel less guilty about using Concoct early and midgame, Throné's gives you some fun action economy fuckery, Temenos's just lets you go "Your shields are going down, NOW", Agnea's lets you get some really good group buffing, and Partitio's is useful for burst damage or helping out a friend.

I used partitio's LB and a combination of a few misc. things to give my entire party 100% dodge chance for the majority of the fights in this game. it ruled.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Tyranny had some neat ideas but it felt extremely half baked and I wasn't particularly satisfied with it. The first chapter was really promising though.

I don't know if the developers ever stated it, but it definitely felt like a game that ran out of budget maybe 70% of the way through. Maybe even sooner considering how... weird the combat is? Along with only really having skills related to combat plus one for almost every other stat check.

Despite that, I think it has really solid writing for characters throughout.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shastahanshah posted:

I don't know if the developers ever stated it, but it definitely felt like a game that ran out of budget maybe 70% of the way through.

it was very much a budget project that was successfully pitched due to them having the PoE2 engine (and, presumably, most of the devs familiar with working on it) already

i like a lot of tyranny's ideas, and it's got a couple neat characters like lantry and ebb who i wish were in better games, but it's mostly a lot of raw, unrefined material that you have to trudge through some of PC gaming's worst RTwP combat to get to, and i say this as someone who genuinely likes RTwP

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

(ball of colored light glows menacingly at u)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Impermanent posted:

I used partitio's LB and a combination of a few misc. things to give my entire party 100% dodge chance for the majority of the fights in this game. it ruled.
Similarly I feel like I've broken the game just with Castti's unlockable attack.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I dunno about breaking the game, but rather early on I got sick of random battles so I just gave Ochette the skill that lets her start battles with a full limit break and extra BP so she can just annihilate every battle on turn one without paying attention to elements. And then I got super overleveled for every boss fight since (haven't beaten the game).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Runa posted:

(ball of colored light glows menacingly at u)

i'd bet you $5 there's some extremely sick-looking bane concept art sitting in someone's drawer after they figured out that the only budget they had left was for some loving star trek TOS-rear end glowing orbs and normal guys with a ghost shader tossed over 'em like a blanket

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished armored core 3 silent line today so i decided to get back to yakuza 6. apparently i stopped twenty minutes before the relatively interesting opening conveying emotional and touching scenes between kiryu and the orphans via incredibly awkward rushed together in-game cutscenes where they all stare dead-eyed and stock still at each other gave way to an intricate and detailed scene conveying how there's once again an evil chinese guy and he IS more violent, than the yakuza

trying to think what the most fun generic stock bad guy role in a series is. i'm leaning somewhere between armored core's "evil ai that is secretly doing what it thinks is best for humanity" and ace combat's "philosophical plane terrorist"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is Chained Echos, I just watched a video and it sounds good (though not relaxing like dq11 where you can just kind of veg out)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is Chained Echos, I just watched a video and it sounds good (though not relaxing like dq11 where you can just kind of veg out)

Its very good. It has an equipment mechanic that is not very good but you can ignore freely, so the biggest pain points are the story is very messy in parts and has some real tonal swings. That said for a game made by one person its astonishingly good

Its on game pass so no need to take my word for it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's genuinely pretty darn good. It has some issues but for a stand-alone indie project it hits the mark more often than it doesn't. It's one of the few 'we're making a old school console RPG' indie projects that actually ends up feeling like one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

I suspect Starfield will be tolerable on release and get steadily better over time as a) Bethesda fixes some bugs, b) fan patches fix way more bugs, and c) mods are released.

You know, the typical Bethesda model.

:hmmyes: call me when the Nehrim/Enderal guys get their hands on it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chained Echoes

+ Novel spin on turn-based combat. No reflexes needed.
+ Chapter 2 onward is rich with sidequests.
+ Interlocking sidequests that makes every little fetch-quest meaningful.
+ Fun exploration enhanced by inclusion of flying mechs.
+ A colourful world that is the perfect size.
+ No random encounters or EXP grinding.
+ Strong graphics and music.

- Utterly pointless equipment-gem system.
- Rather pointless multi-class system.
- Endgame can be cheesed by stacking HP and Agility over more fun abilities.
- Dense, poorly translated story with edgelord tone.
- Too many player characters. They introduce an aggro system far too late.
- Ending too sour for my taste.
- Robb.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm playing Kuro No Kiseki. Going from Coldsteel 1+2 which was a ps3 game that looked like a late ps2 game, to this which is a ps4 game that looks like an early ps3 game. Progress has been made!

e: Inspiring.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 11, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been playing pathfinder kingmaker, trying out the dlc, one of which adds an npc Kineticist that I’ve been trying to wrap my head around. It’s maybe the most unique class out of all of them and I kinda don’t get it, it seems really micro-heavy, even in turn-based mode.

It’s a spellcaster without spells, sort of shaping their one elemental attack into different areas of effect as needed, but you have to balance that out with a “burn” mechanic, where maxing out your damage lowers you max hp until you rest, so you can’t go TOO hard or you run out of fuel. But you can lower how much burn you acquire by entering one of three “gather power” stances that each take up a different amount of time to function. It’s just a lot of clicks

Idk if anyone here has tried the kineticist but I need some tips or something because I’m not really getting it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think I'd call Chained Echoes "edgelord", it's just dark. Characters aren't like tortured on screen for no reason, there aren't kids saying slurs at you, etc., it's just a story where very bad stuff happens.

Also it owns, great game that feels like the perfect length. The gem system is completely stupid though, hopefully you don't have rpg-addled brain and can simply ignore it instead of having the spectre of Improper Optimization gnawing at your brain if you don't engage with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve been playing pathfinder kingmaker, trying out the dlc, one of which adds an npc Kineticist that I’ve been trying to wrap my head around. It’s maybe the most unique class out of all of them and I kinda don’t get it, it seems really micro-heavy, even in turn-based mode.

It’s a spellcaster without spells, sort of shaping their one elemental attack into different areas of effect as needed, but you have to balance that out with a “burn” mechanic, where maxing out your damage lowers you max hp until you rest, so you can’t go TOO hard or you run out of fuel. But you can lower how much burn you acquire by entering one of three “gather power” stances that each take up a different amount of time to function. It’s just a lot of clicks

Idk if anyone here has tried the kineticist but I need some tips or something because I’m not really getting it
You can right click abilities in Pathfinder to set them to "auto-cast" - don't remember how that works exactly in turn based mode though. Gather powers and infusions you can just set and forget, and I usually configure my gather power + infusion to get to 0 burn while maximizing damage and leave that as my "default". Then just toggle infusions periodically if you want to do extra stuff, but that is pretty rare unless you want to micromanage your gather power for extra movement which I think is a PITA so I don't do that.

Kineticist is kinda mega boring at the start until you get the good infusions. There's some extremely stupid good infusions out there that are grossly OP and people with meta game knowledge will bee line those. If you don't know them, just pick what sounds cool and give it a go.