Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Your big little city isn’t going to get to get a Chrysler because you cargo‐culted some dumb rules.

The effects are related to the ratios of the street width and building height, not the total height.

Also, the setback requirements where I live predate New York's anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah the developers of 432 Park did that.

The Skyscraper Museum has an exhibit on this with a webpage that sort of poorly explains it.

It sucked off the “air rights” from the buildings on the right to maximize its gains.

I like this exhibit. Really shows off how it works.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This article sums it up nicely: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/05/super-tall-super-skinny-super-expensive-the-pencil-towers-of-new-yorks-super-rich

In addition to the mechanical floors adding 'extra' height, some have super high lobbies (60' ceiling height) to add some extra height that doesn't count legally.

And thus article sucked my attention for quite a while at work!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This article sums it up nicely: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/05/super-tall-super-skinny-super-expensive-the-pencil-towers-of-new-yorks-super-rich

In addition to the mechanical floors adding 'extra' height, some have super high lobbies (60' ceiling height) to add some extra height that doesn't count legally.

That article came out in 2019 and I'm pretty sure the skyline doesn't look like the projection.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That article came out in 2019 and I'm pretty sure the skyline doesn't look like the projection.

Almost like four years (including a pandemic) is a fairly short amount of time for this sort of thing?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Computer viking posted:

Almost like four years (including a pandemic) is a fairly short amount of time for this sort of thing?

Almost like the graphic wasn't accurate at all, yeah.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Almost like the graphic wasn't accurate at all, yeah.

Almost like you're kind of dumb if you read an article about how this style of tower could possibly become more popular in the future, and understood their "this is how that could look" image as "these will definitely be planned, approved, and built during the next few years"?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Why don't they build big cities as a Borg Cube and have bullet trains/elevators run through it in all three dimensions so you can get anywhere (and out of it) quick.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nenonen posted:

Why don't they build big cities as a Borg Cube and have bullet trains/elevators run through it in all three dimensions so you can get anywhere (and out of it) quick.

Manhattan Walled City

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Computer viking posted:

Almost like you're kind of dumb if you read an article about how this style of tower could possibly become more popular in the future, and understood their "this is how that could look" image as "these will definitely be planned, approved, and built during the next few years"?

Hold up. I absolutely did not read that article. Do not put in the papers that I did.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Hold up. I absolutely did not read that article. Do not put in the papers that I did.

Dear The Guardian, DR FRASIER KRANG read your article!

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Oh wow! This is a J. G. Ballard short story! Only you can't really leave. It was an interesting concept.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Concentration_City

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MRC48B posted:

"Luxury" is code for "Tolerable". Stuff like "I can't hear the neighbors sneeze.", "Climate control that works", and "There's enough space and light here a child wouldn't develop childhood claustrophobia"

Actual luxury property are condos, because its easier to keep the undesirables out when no one can afford a mortgage.

Oh, I know they're not actual luxury - but the price sure acts like they are, which is the problem.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jack and Jill toilets, yet we share the tub? Why not?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
My brain wants to insist that's a mirror behind the tub.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Now you and your spouse can have food poisoning together and still keep it contained

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Would you rather have the right side with more storage or the left side where you could crack the window?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just needs a basketball hoop.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

kid sinister posted:

Jack and Jill toilets, yet we share the tub? Why not?

wow, five toilets

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Love the makeshift ramps for the garage because the slab is clearly sinking.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

I see that everything is different on either side, but I still see it being a reflection.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Would you rather have the right side with more storage or the left side where you could crack the window?

I just noticed that far vanity has 2 sconces, while the closer one has a light bar. The mirrors don't match either. The lack of symmetry is bothering me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GreenNight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAyJiNobfY8

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nenonen posted:

Then a robot lady will enflame the proletariat, who will boil out of their subterranean abode and burn it all down.

Last time I saw that house was on Tennessee Ave. and I was collecting $50 on it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

PurpleXVI posted:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It was even more confusing in person, I assure you.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i like your cat and i hate those sinks

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

This hurts so bad. What the gently caress?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

You are evil for posting that.

Are we going to die in a week if we do not post that to another forum now or something?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Did they convert two gendered restrooms into one all gender by just ripping out the wall between the sinks?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's for twins to do hidden camera pranks with

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

That's the bathroom at the Marx Bros. mansion.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Not nearly crappy enough. There should be some rudimentary pulley system to raise up the extended island countertop.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Orvin posted:

Not nearly crappy enough. There should be some rudimentary pulley system to raise up the extended island countertop.

Not crappy enough? Depends on how tall you are.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

That's the bathroom at the Marx Bros. mansion.

I think it was actually at Fort Ticonderoga iirc.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Can't wait to start chopping vegetables on that island and have the occasional piece hit somebody coming up the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The island subsea tunnel opening needs a lip on the stairs side.

Otherwise, I declare that that kitchen is making the best of a bad situation.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 12, 2023