Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
https://twitter.com/emelex_/status/1633361412616749056?s=46&t=kL6Z0A7av6SPDgzujLAtkg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lmfao

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:kiss:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Steve French posted:

Hasn't been allowed for a number of years AFAIK. I don't know what the enforcement is like, what I've generally heard is that it's not a big deal if you're not interfering with snow removal overnight. That said, it's been clear that some people are doing it anyway

sorry, dirty windshield. No idea if there were any consequences for those people, or if they just got lucky, or just nobody wanted to deal with towing a big rear end truck camper.

I'm not aware of any actual legal overnight parking areas except dispersed camping areas of the national forest, which are gonna be hard to access right now. All the campgrounds are closed for the season as far as I know. There's coachland and hirschdale rv parks in Truckee, but I don't think they have much if any availability.

Yeah that's kinda what I suspected. Have noticed some cars/campers that definitely look like they spent the night when I've showed up early.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Splinter posted:

Yeah that's kinda what I suspected. Have noticed some cars/campers that definitely look like they spent the night when I've showed up early.

As far as I know, the first time violater gets a warning left on their car that next time they'll be towed. I know several people who have gotten the warning but none who have dared a second night.

When there's not active snow removal you might sneak by parking over by far east where the nigh shift employees park.

I'm not aware of any legal public overnight parking in North Lake (but I'd be stoked to learn about some).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For anyone that didn’t click through…

https://twitter.com/emelex_/status/1633564036406325248?s=46&t=v-jPHHI3el2DgXfsxbh7ww

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

casque posted:

As far as I know, the first time violater gets a warning left on their car that next time they'll be towed. I know several people who have gotten the warning but none who have dared a second night.

When there's not active snow removal you might sneak by parking over by far east where the nigh shift employees park.

I'm not aware of any legal public overnight parking in North Lake (but I'd be stoked to learn about some).

I've seen SNO-PARKs mentioned in the past, but it looks like that also currently isn't allowed at Donner Summit or Blackwood Canyon due to various forest orders.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Today is a good day. Just scored a pair of chipotle blades and they’re gonna be here in time for our tragically early closing day.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Now to find a chili pepper costume

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
The-House.com is closing I think. they are liquidating the entire inventory. discount code is "SAVINGS" for 40% off list price. all items final sale. got my girl a new jacket and pants and a new arbor board for myself for only a couple hundred bucks. total steal.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Thanks for the heads up - I'd been thinking about switching up to do a little skiing this spring since I've never done it on the west coast (and not anywhere for like 15+ years), and with these deals it looks like I can snag a beginner pair for the cost of a few days' rentals.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thank you for that. Now to buy more ski gear than I need...again

edit: I just bought a mountain bike. It was $600 off

kiimo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 9, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Picked these up on sale this week and they are perfect, exactly the mid-layer I have been needing to pair with my shell pants on colder days. Just wish I'd pulled the trigger a month ago, the ~15 year old insulated pants I took to Canada did not survive the trip.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I absolutely love my Helly Hansen coat but when I got to Mammoth the whole crew was wearing HH jackets that were very similar to mine and it looked like I worked there and people kept asking me questions.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

kiimo posted:

I absolutely love my Helly Hansen coat but when I got to Mammoth the whole crew was wearing HH jackets that were very similar to mine and it looked like I worked there and people kept asking me questions.

My heavier shell is the exact same color as our resorts Mountain Hosts wear and usually have a radio on my backpack.

I just say "I don't actually work here" and answer their questions anyway. But I'll suggest they go ski the other side of the mountain so they stay out of my powder stashes.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Splinter posted:

I've seen SNO-PARKs mentioned in the past, but it looks like that also currently isn't allowed at Donner Summit or Blackwood Canyon due to various forest orders.

Yeah, there's places I think you can park your car overnight; people going to Frog Lake, Peter Grubb, Benson, and Bradley huts gotta park somewhere. But seems a distinction is drawn between parking your vacant car overnight vs camping/sleeping in it; makes sense from the standpoint of crowds. There are so many drat vans here that if there were places to park overnight they'd be full all the time.

You might be able to get away with sleeping overnight in the pullout at Pole Creek (where you'd park to go to the Bradley hut... on 89 S just north of Squaw Valley Road)... but it wouldn't be pleasant, and then again you might not get away with it either.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

bobz0r posted:

The-House.com is closing I think. they are liquidating the entire inventory. discount code is "SAVINGS" for 40% off list price. all items final sale. got my girl a new jacket and pants and a new arbor board for myself for only a couple hundred bucks. total steal.
Appreciate the heads-up, ended up getting a new pair of bike shorts for cheap. At least one of my outdoor hobbies is still viable where I live! :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Tahoe is looking to get another 5 feet of super heavy snow this week, this season is just relentless

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Tahoe is looking to get another 5 feet of super heavy snow this week, this season is just relentless

5 feet? depends what elevation we're talking about, I guess...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this pineapple express is going to ruin the low elevation snowpack in SoCal, what a waste

maybe we get lucky and the track stays north, minimizing rain down here

really putting a damper on my spring touring plans around here, I had allowed myself to dream of some lines that are only skiable once a decade

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

The Glumslinger posted:

Mammoth main lodge has 3 floors, Tusks bar is at the top. the snowpack at the base is so high the you don't have to walk up the stairs anymore. you would normally have to walk up 1-2 flights of stairs. the lift map is 3/4 covered with snow. wild to think they might get another 5-7 feet of snow this week

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bawfuls posted:

this pineapple express is going to ruin the low elevation snowpack in SoCal, what a waste

maybe we get lucky and the track stays north, minimizing rain down here

really putting a damper on my spring touring plans around here, I had allowed myself to dream of some lines that are only skiable once a decade

Which is good for people trapped, if also bad for the snowpack sticking around and helping the drought long term

I'm sure there are plenty of Arrowhead and Bear residents who will be happy to see the rain.

If it is snow though, yikes

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is good for people trapped if it clears out roads but not so good if the 6 feet of snow on their roof just soaks up rain water and collapses their roof in.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

It is good for people trapped if it clears out roads but not so good if the 6 feet of snow on their roof just soaks up rain water and collapses their roof in.

I spent the entire day yesterday shoveling snow off the roof of my house and garage. Like, 9-5, stopped for lunch. Then this morning had to dig a big stupid hole in the giant pile next to the house I'd made because I realized it was blocking my dryer vent.

That was just adding injury to insult too, I'd planned to have an afternoon of skiing what I imagine were great conditions at Palisades while my kids had their last week of ski camp lessons. However, early in the morning they announced they would not be opening any lifts in OV, and shortly after I got an email from the ski school that the lessons were cancelled.

Since we'd planned on taking the kids to the hill, we didn't have after-care planned for the day, so instead of skiing pow we were taking care of the kids.

And then they opened the lifts in OV later that day anyway

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thinking about building a ski and snowboards display rack in my garage anyone have any handy sources or guides or maybe just photos I could copy?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Loosely planning next year's trip, I've been poking hotels around Val Thorens for prices, and they're sure something. :stare: Doesn't seem solo friendly in that regard. At least if you want a room entirely for yourself. Heh.

Val Thorens is one of the most expensive resort.
You can try UCPA, best ski for your bucks at around 1000 euro for the week including lift, food, ski instruction (or off piste guide) and they give you ski/shoes/backpack/showel/arva.
However it's 4 person per room and seems to be one bathroom per two rooms.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 11, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Krogort posted:

Val Thorens is one of the most expensive resort.
Ah too bad for that. It looked interesting, because they have their infrastructure set up nicely, i.e. dedicated bus lines from the train station 45 mins away to the town. When I looked at Portes du Soleil, so far it looks like you had to organize the trip from/to the train station yourself.

Krogort posted:

You can try UCPA, best ski for your bucks at around 1000 euro for the week including lift, food, ski instruction (or off piste guide) and they give you ski/shoes/backpack/showel/arva.
However it's 4 person per room and seems to be one bathroom per two rooms.
Thanks for pointing that one out. I'm split on the shared bedroom thing. Or the very least the shower per person ratio. The hotel I went to in February had four person hostel rooms with a shower each.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

2:45 to the tunnel. We left this morning at ten to six. I counted eleven 18-wheelers without chains starting at Bakerville (The chain-up warnings started at Georgetown). The last semi we saw was jack-knifed on the shoulder, spinning out trying to get traction. I hope CDOT/CSP fined every one of ‘em.

Westbound to the tunnel was still bumper to bumper from about Silver Plume when we took off around 12:30. No idea what’s up.

On the flip side, my kid learned how to rip knee-deep pow all morning so it was 100% worth it.

Also saw the ski club replete with what I think are these vests, and they look extremely useful for taking a few extras on the lift and being able to layer up/down without having to faff about with a backpack. Anyone have experience with them?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 11, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

waffle enthusiast posted:

2:45 to the tunnel. We left this morning at ten to six.

Lol nope, i'll stick to Thursday again this week.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

2:45 to the tunnel. We left this morning at ten to six. I counted eleven 18-wheelers without chains starting at Bakerville (The chain-up warnings started at Georgetown). The last semi we saw was jack-knifed on the shoulder, spinning out trying to get traction. I hope CDOT/CSP fined every one of ‘em.

Westbound to the tunnel was still bumper to bumper from about Silver Plume when we took off around 12:30. No idea what’s up.

On the flip side, my kid learned how to rip knee-deep pow all morning so it was 100% worth it.

Also saw the ski club replete with what I think are these vests, and they look extremely useful for taking a few extras on the lift and being able to layer up/down without having to faff about with a backpack. Anyone have experience with them?

We left A Basin at 4:30 and westbound i70 was still(?) or again? backed up around silver plume. Solid day that about made the drive worth it. Took a steep gully lap and we were maybe 4th and 5th tracks down #3 so that didn’t suck. Surprisingly nice weather too. And Pali was skiing super nice also of course.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Ski recommendation request:

East coast based, looking for skis that are fun in the trees here. Because it’s the east coast, I don’t really need to worry about knee deep powder days very often. Most of the glades I find here are deep, tight mogul runs that look more like a series of trenches. I need to get better at these and have a lot of room for technique work.

That said, I’m taking some Volkl mantra m6s through these and they are supremely Unfun. They are too long (~190) and way too stiff. I’m looking for something that won’t feel like I’m trying to steer the titanic through sharp ruts.

Where should I start looking? Is 88 underfoot right? Am I looking for a rockered ski or no? If anyone has something they love for this let me know.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That vest looks cool but man, seems pricey.

That traffic sounds real yikes. Glad we are over in the roaring fork valley this weekend.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I bought a pair of racing ski this season and they came with alpine bindings (Salomon X12 lab) that are not gripwalk compatible.
The ski are fun and I didn't check that because I have some old shoes.

However the shoes liner is getting thinner and thinner so I'm considering replacing the shoes, and I am realizing that everything seems to be gripwalk only these days ?
Am I condemned to buy race shoes ? or new bindings ?
I'd rather buy some freerando shoes that are compatible with inserts rather than cold race boots.

They do sell some skis with a different plates that seems to have the same bindings but with a gripwalk logo.

Not GW https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/s-race-sl-pro-and-x12-lab-li3728.html#color=73951

GW https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/s-race-sl-12-and-x12-li4029.html#color=73129

Krogort fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 12, 2023

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Time posted:

East coast based, looking for skis that are fun in the trees here. Because it’s the east coast, I don’t really need to worry about knee deep powder days very often. Most of the glades I find here are deep, tight mogul runs that look more like a series of trenches. I need to get better at these and have a lot of room for technique work.

That said, I’m taking some Volkl mantra m6s through these and they are supremely Unfun. They are too long (~190) and way too stiff. I’m looking for something that won’t feel like I’m trying to steer the titanic through sharp ruts.

Where should I start looking? Is 88 underfoot right? Am I looking for a rockered ski or no? If anyone has something they love for this let me know.
I think the coming like the nordica enforcers or the k2 mindbenders are great for east coast trees. Know a couple people who absolutely love the Dynastar M-Pro. Definitely wouldn't recommend Volkl unless you know you like stiff.

My recommendation would be getting something that's like 98 or 104 underfoot as you should still get good maneuverability, but also still be able to rip fresh glades when they happen. I think 88 is a touch too narrow.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Well, we're getting one hell of a March in the NE here. The season is clearly going to hang on longer than I will.

I crossed 200k feet logged today and we're well into sugaring season; I'm gonna try to get out on it on Wednesday, probably get out again in some capacity, and then let go of it. I'll ski with kiddo on Sundays for as long as we can, but we do like 2000 feet and she's done.

Time posted:

This describes most of the skiing I do, with maybe 30% on piste, and when I asked around a couple years ago people pointed me at Blizzard Rustlers, and I've been happy with them. I've got the 9s, I think the 10s are nicer, I don't consider myself a highly technical skiier, just an idiot who will seek out the steepest glades at MRG / Sugarbush and stumble through them somehow.

When snow is good I can make some decent turns in the woods. When it's not, I sorta bounce off trees and my hips a lot.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 13, 2023

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

so i was given an old snowboard and boots from a friend last year who was moving and i havent touched it at all since the boots are kind of jacked up and i was still learning.

i can finally actually do poo poo now so im dusting it off to go to a baby mountain after the storm tonight. i got it waxed and looked at a few weeks ago and it was good to go. im gonna go rent boots tomorrow but i wanted some advice on what adjustments to make for ergonomics

the bindings are definitely more than shoulder length apart and both feet are angled outward and i feel like that is definitely probably not how im supposed to do this. i ride both goofy and regular with equal skill so ive enjoyed having my feet perpendicular on my rentals but i dont know if theres something that will be more comfy. same with stance width. im assuming wider is more stable but do i pretty much just need to bring some tools tomorrow and gently caress around on the fly, or are there tricks to this?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Just spend some time in the bindings in front of the TV, and do what feels right. Definitely bring a little pocket screwdriver with you so you can make adjustments on the fly.

It's all very subjective and something you'll figure out with experience. The duckfoot stance is one thing I'd change myself but it's ideal for switch riding which you just said you like. If the angle is more aggressive than +15°/-15° you might want to start there.

Edit: if you do narrow the stance try to do it evenly with each binding rather than just one large adjustment to one of them

Math You fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 14, 2023

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

It’s very subjective, I ride switch at -3° and 9. I tried evening it out to -9, 9 and it was killing my back calf. But I guess if you’re new you have the opportunity to learn at whatever angle and it’s not a big adjustment.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm kind of pigeon toed but I still found snowboarding to be MUCH easier once I opened my stance up. But that is really wide apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I usually set mine to +15 and 0, which is a really common one. A good test (but by no means conclusive) is to stand in your living room beside the board, jump up, and then land in a snowboard crouch position. Where your feet end up is usually a good start.