Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

The conversation about relic grinds reminded me to finally share this spreadsheet I made two whole years ago that shows what drops you need for the Shadowbringers relics and where/how to get them. Made it because I didn’t want to dig through a whole guide to remember the easiest ways to grind bits.

Don’t know if it’s useful these days but it helped me at the time!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XAZwRChhJfnWW9jsMYCS4U1HzB8gjgjLJYclSACOQo0/edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

trying to decorate a medium may be the most grueling thing i've ever done in this game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oneiros posted:

trying to decorate a medium may be the most grueling thing i've ever done in this game

Like some people do irl I paid someone more passionate/creative than me a bunch of money to do it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I do Trial Roulette as tank a lot to recharge my catbook and I've noticed something on the Cloud Deck (Diamond Weapon) Normal. I stand at the very tip of the ship, past the teleporter, so the line attack doesn't hit anyone and they have plenty of space, and inevitably I get dps standing behind me about halfway through the fight. Is there something pushing them out of staying midships? It's not after the spread mechanic, I'd understand that, just seems like I suddenly have people standing on top of me.

people are bad at video games and there's nothing you can do about it as a tank. sometimes you get a fight where the boss has a big cone tankbuster and the party perfectly surrounds them so it's impossible not to kill someone. sometimes a boss has an auto that's a line aoe and no matter where you stand, someone will still follow you to soak those autos

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Oneiros posted:

I have a large and in the most extreme cases, redecorating it from scratch has taken me a month or more.
Granted that includes playing the rest of the game during that time, but few things ive done in ff14 took as long as coming up with an idea and crafting, buying, and placing several hundred pieces of furniture to do it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I've seen NPCs and a few players do a mariokart style jump start on chocobo racing. How in the gently caress do I do this?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've noticed that the players on aiming jobs pretty routinely get murdered by cone tankbusters. Tsukuyomi gets a lot of them. Just because you can run everywhere while shooting doesn't mean you should.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's a trait chocobos might learn as they level up

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

YggiDee posted:

It's a trait chocobos might learn as they level up

is it not something you can teach via manuals? that also explains why i've never seen it, i always have both slots filled with dressage and a race ability

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

I've noticed that the players on aiming jobs pretty routinely get murdered by cone tankbusters. Tsukuyomi gets a lot of them. Just because you can run everywhere while shooting doesn't mean you should.

Either that, or they wander off into max range where my AoE healing won't reach them. Staying close to mobs makes it easier to dodge them I swear!

When I'm feeling mean, I Rescue those people into my Soil.

Then they walk straight back out :negative:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

hazardousmouse posted:

is it not something you can teach via manuals? that also explains why i've never seen it, i always have both slots filled with dressage and a race ability

Possibly? My chocobo learned a "mimic" skill that has yet to be helpful in any way but I'm not invested enough in chocobo racing to do anything about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

If they added a basset hound minion, that’s all I would ever use.

Idk how popular bassets are in Japan though.
there was one in ghost in the shell at least

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Roluth posted:

Either that, or they wander off into max range where my AoE healing won't reach them. Staying close to mobs makes it easier to dodge them I swear!

it's extra funny because like 70% of bosses at this point have a donut aoe in their arsenal, including the revamped copperbell final boss. that is on top the myriad bosses that have a "faces a random non-tank, then uses a massive cone" attack that are trivially-easy to dodge if you're in melee range

unfortunately ranged dps will never learn their lesson

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
After having a white mage get mad at me for being in melee range and stacking as a mch because "you're ranged, it's more dangerous up close" I basically have zero cares about where people position

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My bard always hung out at range for new fights to see what was going on, it's a habit I have to keep fighting. Once I know a fight it's more "back out of AoE, forget to move back" and in Savages I include "run back to the middle" in the steps I learn. Especially P6S, where mechanics themselves send my spot off into left field, I'm tracking exactly when I can start running back in during second halfs of Chorus Ixou and such to pick up group heals before the next thing.

Didn't help that the first person who tried to help me with that in my sprout days decided to be a jerk about it. I don't think I actually said You Don't Pay My Sub but it got close. They were barking orders like it was micro on a single-player game, and they weren't even the healer. They're the reason I only THINK about how people are idiots.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

As a MCH I'm constantly moving just because I can. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oneiros posted:

Decorating a large house is so much worse than decorating a medium. I've said it before but I think medium is the perfect size house. Smalls are too small. Larges are too large. Mediums are the perfect size to have it intricately decorated without running out of items.

Mediums allow for 300 placed items. Larges are roughly 2.5x the floorspace of a medium only allow for 400 items. Your choice is to either have your large sparsely decorated or block off floors.

If you ever go to nightclubs/venues in FFXIV, most mediums will have all three floors decorated. Most larges will have an entire floor blocked off so they can focus on 1-2 floors. Larges need an item limit of at least 500, but preferably 600.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

I've seen NPCs and a few players do a mariokart style jump start on chocobo racing. How in the gently caress do I do this?

Is it maybe the "Super Sprint" chocobo ability? It maxes your speed until your Chocobo runs out of stamina, and if your chocobo is leveled up enough and has the right pedigree/stats slamming that at the start of the race is almost a guaranteed win even if you run out of stamina near the end.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I rescued a tank into the side nook with the chest before the boss in Shisui because the sprouty dps kept getting bodied by the puffers and the tank bitched at me saying they "needed something to dodge to keep them occupied".

:ok:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Oneiros posted:

What about the housing lottery for Medium and Large plots? :v:

I feel like I see all these cool housing ideas and I just end up adding 2x fireplaces along with some bookshelves and calling it a day.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

All I know is it was way easier to hit the outside limit on a small than I thought. At least it looks okay.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Kazy posted:

As a MCH I'm constantly moving just because I can. :v:

Same, and idk why I do it on that job but it's hard not to run around shooting and jumping and flipping. I play pretty normal on other jobs but on that one I can't sit still

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

My life's goal to have my WOL turned into an IRL minion has been achieved:

Now back to farming tomestones...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Alxprit posted:

If it weren't then people would have no excuse to help people who want to do it for the first time. Like I'm super dreading trying to get into Delebrum Reginae because of its off-kilter not-really-duty-finder setup

I had no problem getting my Ozma just last month even though Eureka is old content with no post-SB incentives and BA is purely unnecessary for relic cosmetics. If the content is fun there will always be groups looking to clear it; people even set up challenge runs where everyone runs some kind of gimmick, just to prove they can.

Here's the discord server for Eureka and Bozja on the Primal data center if anyone's been thinking about getting a clear. https://discord.gg/PEBE It's good, everyone's friendly and for those of you not on Primal, they've got links to servers for other data centers.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

How? who? where? I need answers

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

waaay way back in heavensward when the alexander raids were current content, i ran A12N pretty regularly as a healer and for some reason. every single time. after the phase when all the DPS go into their time portals, somehow I would end up standing right next to the tank, EVERY time. i still have no idea what was with the mechanics that caused me to move to that spot every single time, even when i was consciously trying not to, and i have a feeling that if i ended up in there again today i would end up doing the same thing all over again! it just happens!

Alder posted:

aw, i love this :3: the ears!!! my dear friend got me one of these for christmas and i love it so much, every time i look at him on my desk i find myself impressed all over again by all the tiny details:

edit: for comparison's sake, this is the reference shot i gave for this lil guy (with a couple extras because i cannot extract a single image url from twitter on my phone lol)

https://twitter.com/qestiri/status/1594439899918344192?t=xnQzQbI3A3wJWKcARFVXhw&s=19

Solovey fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 11, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Is it maybe the "Super Sprint" chocobo ability? It maxes your speed until your Chocobo runs out of stamina, and if your chocobo is leveled up enough and has the right pedigree/stats slamming that at the start of the race is almost a guaranteed win even if you run out of stamina near the end.

nah, it's jus this short boost right out the gate and doesn't make the sprint audio cue. it's just like they're starting at max speed with instant acceleration.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Heya, one question, does someone have a clear pic of the Demi-Cochma mobs, Titan-Egi, and Agdistis? As in with transparent background, I think the enemy model viewer hasn't updated in a while?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

hazardousmouse posted:

Its the "head start" ability which your chocobo can either learn randomly, or inheret from breeding partners from the gold saucer. Its not amazing as choco dash skills functionally give the same result if used right away and have a chance of being refreshed by items on the track.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Did Aetherochemical Research for the first time since they revamped the boss fights. Was fun, but our healer kept getting killed and maybe didn't speak the language because it was just radio silence on any attempts to advise. They kept kind of running around during the star phases and getting exploded. It was weird cause they had a mentor flag but it was also the first time they'd done the dungeon based on exploration notices? Also didn't seem to know how stack markers worked.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is the cutscene before the final boss in that dungeon still incredibly long?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is the cutscene before the final boss in that dungeon still incredibly long?

Didn't watch it, but we only waited somewhere between 30 seconds and a minute for the healer, so maybe not?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pyrtanis posted:

How? who? where? I need answers

TopClayArts on Etsy has custom figures for small and larger characters for sale. I saw a bunch posted from the maker of FFXIV characters.

Solovey posted:

waaay way back in heavensward when the alexander raids were current content, i ran A12N pretty regularly as a healer and for some reason. every single time. after the phase when all the DPS go into their time portals, somehow I would end up standing right next to the tank, EVERY time. i still have no idea what was with the mechanics that caused me to move to that spot every single time, even when i was consciously trying not to, and i have a feeling that if i ended up in there again today i would end up doing the same thing all over again! it just happens!

aw, i love this :3: the ears!!! my dear friend got me one of these for christmas and i love it so much, every time i look at him on my desk i find myself impressed all over again by all the tiny details:

edit: for comparison's sake, this is the reference shot i gave for this lil guy (with a couple extras because i cannot extract a single image url from twitter on my phone lol)

https://twitter.com/qestiri/status/1594439899918344192?t=xnQzQbI3A3wJWKcARFVXhw&s=19

Aww, he looks cute :3:

Yes, it's pretty impressive for all the small clothing details are accurate too.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I wish the Gold Saucer had its own login art. No idea why it doesn't.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Here I am, grinding Astronomy tomes, thinking it's weird af that the relic max level is more easily obtainable than waiting for the 630 weapon upgrade to unlock with the raid tokens, because I am quite sure that past expansions made getting a Relic that fast vary from very, very hard to flat out impossible

But I need this SMN book

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kazy posted:

I wish the Gold Saucer had its own login art. No idea why it doesn't.

I wish the plugin for loading screens would update

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Tengames posted:

Its the "head start" ability which your chocobo can either learn randomly, or inheret from breeding partners from the gold saucer. Its not amazing as choco dash skills functionally give the same result if used right away and have a chance of being refreshed by items on the track.

aaahhhh thanks. i was driving myself mad trying to get a countdown acceleration timing that didn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Bruceski posted:

I do Trial Roulette as tank a lot to recharge my catbook and I've noticed something on the Cloud Deck (Diamond Weapon) Normal. I stand at the very tip of the ship, past the teleporter, so the line attack doesn't hit anyone and they have plenty of space, and inevitably I get dps standing behind me about halfway through the fight. Is there something pushing them out of staying midships? It's not after the spread mechanic, I'd understand that, just seems like I suddenly have people standing on top of me.

I bet they are seeing someone suddenly move out with purpose and going "oh, a mechanic must be coming I should dodge with them".

And let's be fair, they are correct: a mechanic is coming and you have moved to solve it. There's just one slightly wrong assumption they are making...