Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/ThatsFootballTV/status/1634319561469095937
https://twitter.com/ThatsFootballTV/status/1634321788288094208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm more invested in a football match right now than I have ever been in my entire life

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
it will be so on brand if the thing that changes british political fortunes is loving football.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Your observations remind me of a moment from the Opening Ceremony of the 2012 Olympics.

Jerusalem is a hymn still sung in Anglican churches here. It may not have as much symbolic or theological, even felt, meaning in people’s lives, but the general meaning of the song is something I think anyone who’s heard it can apprehend. All of that to say, Satanic mills should come across as self-evidently bad.

When the performance of that song in the opening ceremony transitioned into a celebration of the same forces that constructed the mills, with loving dancing industrialists… what can you even say? Who would have been offended if they actually engaged with the meaning of the hymn and didn’t immediately pull punches? Nobody would have renounced capitalism past or present, turned on The City or any of that, but they still couldn’t commit for even a moment.

I don’t know, it probably doesn’t mean anything in the scheme of things, Vancouver’s opening ceremony was similarly ridiculous. It’s just, well if Rowan Atkinson running on a beach to the Chariots of Fire theme is supposed to make every Briton’s chest swell with pride, and both the film and story it’s based on centre on abandoning racial concepts of Britishness to allow a Jewish person to represent the country on the national team, obviously there’s something being lost if people think their national pride is preserved by keeping people out.

I suppose you’re right that that even in the halcyon days of 2012 there was not a coherent idea of Britishness because it was preoccupied with symbols of the past but not their meaning.

so your saying they are worshipping a golden calf?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

samcarsten posted:

it will be so on brand if the thing that changes british political fortunes is loving football.

at least one war has been started over football, so it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
There is no chance the average British person knows or comprehends the actual words in Jerusalem

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the corbyn project had some very good football policy which i thought could've been very popular if corbynism hadn't been so thoroughly poisoned in the popular imagination at that point

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

V. Illych L. posted:

the corbyn project had some very good football policy which i thought could've been very popular if corbynism hadn't been so thoroughly poisoned in the popular imagination at that point

It's going to be fun in 30 years looking back at the Corbyn derangement years.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

Lol none of us are going to be around in 30 years

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barry Foster posted:

Lol none of us are going to be around in 30 years

I'm so sorry, we're still going to be posting about our right wing government

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

they will still say last labour government but gaslight all the few remaining malding pensioners into believing that corbyn was in power at the time

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
They already believe that

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm so sorry, we're still going to be posting about our right wing government

some of us depend on the NHS already and it's only going to get worse as we age. Ain't no way I can afford private health care.

we're dead as gently caress if we keep on this libertarian course. Remember we're post covid where humanity reached a consensus that yes actually the weak should probably just die.

We're 5 years from the BBC commissioning a comedy program that just punches down on people with Lupus and other immunosuppressing disorders.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Has all bbc football coverage walked out at this point? Whats 5live even gonna do today

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Has all bbc football coverage walked out at this point? Whats 5live even gonna do today

No, they still have Scottish football: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/64857964

You can listen to Hearts vs Celtic in the Scottish Cup Quarter Final, & then later Morton vs Partick in the Championship.

I think there's 6 Nations Rugby on today too so maybe they'll just cover that instead

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
There's always the international coverage of the match that they could broadcast. Depends if they're going to double down and refuse to do that and just say nobody gets to see the match because of corb

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

gonadic io posted:

There's always the international coverage of the match that they could broadcast. Depends if they're going to double down and refuse to do that and just say nobody gets to see the match because of corb

I assume that MOTD will use the international commentary team, if the production team are willing to assemble the highlights, which doesn't seem guaranteed.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1634529504122077190

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

While it seems silly it's not unusual for the BBC to ask itself for comment although it's usually around content and programming decisions rather than because they're creating a political scandal directly.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i can't imagine that it's ordinary for the BBC to refuse to answer questions from BBC news, though, which is usually what "we asked X to comment" without any followup means

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

V. Illych L. posted:

i can't imagine that it's ordinary for the BBC to refuse to answer questions from BBC news, though, which is usually what "we asked X to comment" without any followup means

Well this is literally the following tweet:

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1634529857899036673?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

Not an every day occurrence but certainly not Novel either.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I mean what did you think it stood for?

that is bit of a mean joke but I thought it was funny

Big boobs cocks

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Better Blame Corbyn

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

from afar it looks like theres a major crisis in British society because a guy posted disapprovingly of modern slavery while at the same time david attenborough, guy who makes documentaries about nature and how it's hosed, did a documentary about how nature is maybe slightly hosed in England too. but where are the terfs in all this?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

mawarannahr posted:

from afar it looks like theres a major crisis in British society because a guy posted disapprovingly of modern slavery while at the same time david attenborough, guy who makes documentaries about nature and how it's hosed, did a documentary about how nature is maybe slightly hosed in England too. but where are the terfs in all this?

mad at a dead girl for stealing being murdered valour

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So has the beeb buckled on the football sportscaster yet or are they still circling the wagons?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Why is soccer mad at the BBC?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The government said they would literally end human rights and let their donors enslave refugees, a popular football* guy tweeted that that's kind of a lovely thing to do, and the BBC removed him from a planned telly** appearance for being indecorous.

*soccer
**television

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Barkley sequel/spinoff except its lineker doing a chaos header at charity football match between labour and the tories

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Of all the celebrity shitters, Lineker is currently my favourite.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1634589465883680769

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
omg yes do it this will shake out exactly how you think it will

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
“Yeah it was good, you could have told she needed more experience and being 10 is excuse.”

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Biplane posted:

Barkley sequel/spinoff except its lineker doing a chaos header at charity football match between labour and the tories
the promise has been carved into the ed stone

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lol yeah that'll go great

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I refuse to believe this is an attempt to distract from anything. there is nothing so hosed up the government could do that they'd need to pull this out. the royals are just really stupid and yearn for the guillotine

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The government said they would literally end human rights and let their donors enslave refugees, a popular football* guy tweeted that that's kind of a lovely thing to do, and the BBC removed him from a planned telly** appearance for being indecorous.

*soccer
**television

Oh drat. Football is on the side of human rights?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gripweed posted:

Oh drat. Football is on the side of human rights?

It is this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

This time round I'm sure he'll nail it.